"Blackface" Discussion

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Is coloring my face racist/offensive?
I'm saying a person wouldn't be prompted to even think of googling this if he genuinely thinks it isn't offensive/racist.

Charles Miller

Right let me put it this way ffs. If someone isn't aware of the term blackface (like myself), and thinks dressing up as a black basketball star isn't racist, then what exactly am I googling?
When you saw the term in the title of this thread you should google it before posting.
In fact is very simple.

Silas

I agree with you man. I'm just disappointed at comments from people saying 'I don't find this racist' about something clearly not about them. Also at the people who not only can't see why painting your skin dark in this context could be racist but can't even look up online why this could be offensive instead of posting they don't understand. I'm not offended by this on a personal level myself, but I am empathetic towards people who would be because I know why. Ignorance is dumb (Griezmann) but then to see even more ignorance after he has been called out.. that is just pathetic.

EDIT: Yes move this please the thread changed
Yeah, I'm not sure why people that clearly aren't well-informed would bother getting involved without doing some research. Entering a conversation on a sensitive topic without proper knowledge is just asking for trouble. Using ignorance as an excuse afterwards doesn't really make sense as nobody forced you to comment. Would someone enter a maths competition with no preparation and then be surprised when they fail?

Summit

I find it hard to believe there are people in these times that aren't aware of it tbh,
So are you saying we are just lying for the sake of it? I have just asked my wife and she too wasn't aware.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well, surely we are only discussing it because a) he’s famous and b) we might sign him.

I’m sure loads of footballers do stuff like this every day but we never mention it on here.
We are talking about this because of the first thing that he is famous. If someone we are not expected to sign like say Kroos or Modric did this we would still be talking about this.

Summit

When you saw the term in the title of this thread you should google it before posting.
In fact is very simple.
The fecking term wasn't in the title in the previous thread smart arse.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm pretty sure this wasn't blackface, this was Griezmann just being racist by painting his skin. From what I saw on twitter he did not have the painted lips, so it wasnt an attempt at blackface.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Who appointed you the grand elder of all black people?
Who needed to?

The act of doing it with the knowledge of it's history makes it racist, blacking up without the knowledge of it just makes him thick as two blanks. I don't think AG really understood what he was doing, or rather didn't think through the connotations - he's not exactly known for his intellect. People are right to be offended by it, but I dont think it makes him racist.
Not really sure how anyone can say without confidence that this isn’t racist.

At the very least this is ignorant by him and shows a lack of awareness.
However he’s fully involved and intertwined within NBA and hip hop culture - you can’t be that ignorant while participating in the culture.

AndyJ1985

Can't be arsed with the racism debate. But he's obviously thick as pig shit for doing it then posting it on social media for millions to see. These footballers may have millions of pounds but they have feck all common sense.

Summit

Can you reply without name calling(like a mature person)?
Can you read the rules? You supposed to reply the post, not attack the poster.
When someone comes in the thread being a smart arse with me, I'll tell them. Fact is you have tried to be a smart arse with me, have you not?
"When you saw the term in the title of this thread you should google it before posting.
In fact is very simple."

Silas

So are you saying we are just lying for the sake of it? I have just asked my wife and she too wasn't aware.
Depends on what you weren't aware of. If you're unfamiliar with the term itself, fair enough. If you had no idea that, in the past, white actors were used to portray black individuals as black people were seen as too inferior to be used as actors, I'd be honestly surprised.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
At best terribly ignorant and at worst outright racist. What a stupid man.

On a side note, I'm also surprised that so many didn't know what blackface is. I thought that was a failry well known thing? Got mentioned a lot when Tropic Thunder came out too I think.

MoneyMay

Why is this considered racist?
Not checked if anyone has explained it to you:
Weak reply. Hey, good thing about the internet is you'll be humbled. I'll give you another L, but this time I'll educate you, too.

Essentially, in the early 19th century, Blackface was used in minstrel shows by white people to portray black "characters" (why hire black actors when you can use Blackface?). Performances were built on stereotypes. Stereotypes like the black man who always has his eyes on white women (buck for example). Everything was dumbed down... Black people were portrayed as hypersexual, aggressive, lazy, ignorant, and thieves. So no, comparing it to white chicks or whatever other nonsense is not the same thing, that's false equivalency. Which is why I came for your neck.

Blackface isn't just makeup or shoe polish; it isn't paying homage to your favourite athlete; it's a tool that was introduced to degrade and demean black people. If you feel indignant when Blackface is referred to as racist, then you have a lot of learning and growing up to do.

It doesn't matter what your intention is, when the thing you are doing is racist.

You should also read this (quote from the article below).

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."

And this.

You're welcome.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is racist in this? All I've seen is him dressed as a black basket ball player. I don't think that means he's racist?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who needed to?
With the way you were writing, it looked like you were speaking on behalf of all black people. Your skin is unique to you, and black people come in all types of skin tones. Some black people are not offended by blackface, sometimes because they have a high tolerance, others because it is not culturally relevant. You have every right to be offended and call it racist like it is.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not really sure how anyone can say without confidence that this isn’t racist.

At the very least this is ignorant by him and shows a lack of awareness.
However he’s fully involved and intertwined within NBA and hip hop culture - you can’t be that ignorant while participating in the culture.
The bloke has practically immersed himself in black culture, but is himself racist? I don't think so, it just doesn't make any sense, especially posting it on social media for all to see.

I agree it's ignorant, incredibly ignorant, but I do not believe it to be racist.

Devil may care

So much drama in the social media driven world, his two best mates are black, I'm sure Pogba will be defending him come tomorrow.

Summit

Depends on what you weren't aware of. If you're unfamiliar with the term itself, fair enough. If you had no idea that, in the past, white actors were used to portray black individuals as black people were seen as too inferior to be used as actors, I'd be honestly surprised.
Genuinely didn't know.

PoTMS

He’s obviously not racist (well not based on this anyway), he’s just incredibly stupid.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What is racist in this? All I've seen is him dressed as a black basket ball player. I don't think that means he's racist?
It doesn't, just an idiot.

Because, you know, everyone realises that blacking up is offensive, right?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
With the way you were writing, it looked like you were speaking on behalf of all black people. Your skin is unique to you, and black people come in all types of skin tones. Some black people are not offended by blackface, sometimes because they have a high tolerance, others because it is not culturally relevant. You have every right to be offended and call it racist like it is.
I wrote my opinion on the subject that’s all.
I’m aware that not every black person will agree it’s racist, that however doesn’t make it not racist.

The bloke has practically immersed himself in black culture, but is himself racist? I don't think so, it just doesn't make any sense, especially posting it on social media for all to see.

I agree it's ignorant, incredibly ignorant, but I do not believe it to be racist.
He himself is not racist no.
However the act itself is racist. It’s that simple, whether he was aware or not.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So much drama in the social media driven world, his two best mates are black, I'm sure Pogba will be defending him come tomorrow.
Fairly sure if you walked around like that in the real world you'd quickly piss some people off. Though you likely wouldn't walk around like that as you probably know it's a very ignorant thing to do. Hardly a social media thing.

Charles Miller

When someone comes in the thread being a smart arse with me, I'll tell them. Fact is you have tried to be a smart arse with me, have you not?
English is not my first language, but that bold part sounds childish and offensive tbh.
And i dont know what you ment.
If i want to say something to you i'll do it straight and plain.
Like this: no más!