"Blackface" Discussion

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So much drama in the social media driven world, his two best mates are black, I'm sure Pogba will be defending him come tomorrow.
Not that I think he is a racist, he likely isn't (I don't know they guy), however what has the bolded part got to do with anything, people really need to drop these kind of things as a defence.

Devil may care

Yeah. Cause that's the problem in this story.
Social media driven world..
Social media turns everything into a big deal and encourages lynch mob mentality, so yeah, I'd consider that a bigger issue.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The bloke has practically immersed himself in black culture, but is himself racist? I don't think so, it just doesn't make any sense, especially posting it on social media for all to see.

I agree it's ignorant, incredibly ignorant, but I do not believe it to be racist.
Many black people say they find it offensive and racist. White people can't really say it isn't, can they?

Devil may care

Not that I think he is a racist, he likely isn't (I don't know they guy), however what has the bolded part got to do with anything, people really need to drop these kind of things as a defence.
It's not a defense, if you're a racist you don't hang out with black people and be best friends with two black guys, if people want to brand him ignorant then sure, but the racist stuff is just daft.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
English is not my first language, but that bold part sounds childish and offensive tbh.
And i dont know what you ment.
If i want to say something to you i'll do it straight and plain.
Like this: no más!
:lol: Oh jesus. You told me to google something I was unaware of in the title of the thread. at the time it wasn't in the title of course.

You now tell me you don't know the term smart arse? Oh the ironing....

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wrote my opinion on the subject that’s all.
I’m aware that not every black person will agree it’s racist, that however doesn’t make it not racist.

He himself is not racist no.
However the act itself is racist. It’s that simple, whether he was aware or not.
Although I know you don't agree with it, I believe racism is the intent not in the reception. That doesn't make it any less offensive however, so I suppose its just semantics really. We can both agree he's a bellend though!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Social media turns everything into a big deal and encourages lynch mob mentality, so yeah, I'd consider that a bigger issue.
This has been a big deal for almost a century.
Also, interesting use of the term ‘lynch mob’ given the context

Devil may care

Well then your priorities are wrong.
No, I think having a platform for a bunch of faceless people to harrass and attack someone is a bigger issue than a guy painting his face black for a fancy dress party.

ReallyUSA

So much drama in the social media driven world, his two best mates are black, I'm sure Pogba will be defending him come tomorrow.
I've had some good friends do some racist shit. Them being nice to me for years doesn't give them permission to disrespect a whole race.

Reactions: SteveJ

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The bloke has practically immersed himself in black culture, but is himself racist? I don't think so, it just doesn't make any sense, especially posting it on social media for all to see.

I agree it's ignorant, incredibly ignorant, but I do not believe it to be racist.
Surely the term 'black culture' is racist in itself. I can think of 1 billion black people that have no knowledge of 'black culture' and have their own cultures; because black people are very diverse.

I wrote my opinion on the subject that’s all.
I’m aware that not every black person will agree it’s racist, that however doesn’t make it not racist.
But you just said that it's up to black people to decide what is offensive and racist. Was their some sort of meeting or vote to decide?

Ban

No, I think having a platform for a bunch of faceless people to harrass and attack someone is a bigger issue than a guy painting his face black for a fancy dress party.
I don't know about the harassing part. It's just that he made a really stupid thing.

Hoof the ball

Bad idea by Griezmann. Never going to get a free pass for race-facing unless you're a famous American comedian slapping on the white to play a news anchor :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Many black people say they find it offensive and racist. White people can't really say it isn't, can they?
I'm not saying it isn't offensive, I believe it's incredibly offensive. Perhaps I need to clarify: I don't believe there is any racist intent, not that there are no racist connotations to his actions.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Although I know you don't agree with it, I believe racism is the intent not in the reception. That doesn't make it any less offensive however, so I suppose its just semantics really. We can both agree he's a bellend though!
As a recipient of the act, quite honestly whether your intentions are not to cause offence doesn’t necessarily mean that no offence can be caused. Semantics doesn’t even come close.
So no, we don’t agree and never will on that basis.

Surely the term 'black culture' is racist in itself. I can think of 1 billion black people that have no knowledge of 'black culture' and have their own cultures; because black people are very diverse.

But you just said that it's up to black people to decide what is offensive and racist. Was their some sort of meeting or vote to decide?
Interesting that you find the term black culture racist, but don’t deem blacking up as racist. You clearly have no idea what black culture is.

You’re either wilfully ignorant, a wum or both.

What you said to me isn’t even worth me wasting my time to reply to.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
People are quick to call others racist, especially in the United States and England it's in fashion to see racism, sexism, etc. behind every tree. Look, it's probably not a great idea to dress up like that, but at the same time for christ's sake do people like to get mad about anything, does it make one feel better? I am sure every one of those calling Griezmann things now have been racist themselves in some sort of way in their lifetime.

Griezmann and a lot of African-French are good buddies. His best friend Pogba will defend Antoine, I am sure.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I doubt he even knows what blackface is? He's gone as an NBA player for feck's sake. Do we think he's posting this to explicitly show the world that he's racist or something?

Devil may care

Fairly sure if you walked around like that in the real world you'd quickly piss some people off. Though you likely wouldn't walk around like that as you probably know it's a very ignorant thing to do. Hardly a social media thing.
I wonder if he's encountered any heat at the party he is at, he seemed unaware it was going to get such a response.

I don't know about the harassing part. It's just that he made a really stupid thing.
People are branding him a racist and slandering him over this, I'd call that harrassment for what is clearly just a bad piece of judgment.

Manny

Grammar Police
You got to laugh at the European excuse. You'd have hoped whilst standing in front of a mirror and painting his face black, he'd have thought "isn't this a bit weird?!"

AndyJ1985

What's "black culture"?

Ban

People are quick to call others racist, especially in the United States and England it's in fashion to see racism, sexism, etc. behind every tree. Look, it's probably not a great idea to dress up like that, but at the same time for christ's sake do people like to get mad about anything, does it make one feel better? I am sure every one of those calling Griezmann things now have been racist themselves in some sort of way in their lifetime.

Griezmann and a lot of African-French are good buddies. His best friend Pogba will defend Antoine, I am sure.
Jesus Christ. You dont get it do you?
Him having black friends doesn't absolve him of guilt of doing a daft, ignorant thing or being ignorant.

Mad about anything? You don't know the history behind it, do you?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I don't know if Griezmann is a racist. I do know that he shouldn't have done it, and if it was an error stemming from naivety and lack of knowledge, then an apology from him is a necessary response. He should now know better, and hopefully so do his twitter followers.

devil in me

See my yao ming example above, he can dress up as his favourite basketball player without coloring his skin/face.
But if his favourite basketball player is black, and he wants to go out in fancy dress as him, then what's wrong with colouring his face so he looks more like said basketball player???? That's kind of the point of fancy dress...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You got to laugh at the European excuse. You'd have hoped whilst standing in front of a mirror and painting his face black, he'd have thought "isn't this a bit weird?!"
You tell us what you think he though when doing it then? Do you think he thought is was weird and went through with it anyway?

Devil may care

Donald Trump has black friends.
He doesn'tr have any friends, just various people he uses and who like the money he can make them.

While I agree that he's unlikely to be racist and was unaware of the connotations, Roy Moore's wife tried that approach.
That guy has a track record of being a piece of shit though, this is clearly just a guy making a bad judgment call, likely through living in a fame bubble.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Exactly this. And these faceless people are quick to go into full hysteria mode. But, I am sure every single one of them is no purist themselves and have been guilty of racism themselves.

SammyUnited_83

So fecking ignorant and dumb it's beyond belief.

Another look at me twatt that needs a reality check.

Nanook

So if he dresses like yao ming, you would expect him to color his skin yellow and slant his eyes? C'mon now.
No. The comment I replied to said he obviously knew about blackface because there would be no reason to dress up like that. My point was a reason to dress up like that is most basketball players are black and it’s simply dressing to match the public's perception of what basketball players looks like. I don’t think it’s a good reason and it’s clearly a dumb thing to do.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If I whitened up my body fancy dressed as C Ronaldo would it be classed racist?

Devil may care

I don't know if Griezmann is a racist. I do know that he shouldn't have done it, and if it was an error stemming from naivety and lack of knowledge, then an apology from him is a necessary response. He should now know better, and hopefully so do his twitter followers.
I'm sure there will be a grovelling video out there by tomorrow morning.

Traub

People will soon forget this. For example, didn't prince Harry dress up as a Nazi once?