Blaming Woodward and all those above Ole

Ranchero

I've had enough of people shoving all the blame on Ed Woodward and defending Ole with this whole "until Woodward resigns". Complete nonsense. I'm not here to say Woodward has done a great or even good job but it is nowhere near the incompetency Ole has shown.

Woodward backed every LVG transfer till the end. Backed Mourinho with all sorts of players he wanted that turned out to be garbage. Mourinho was not backed for one season because of his failed transfer record. Yes Woodward made a mistake giving Mourinho that long contract and I said it back then as well but at the time it did make sense.

Now he has made (in hindsight) the mistake of appointing Ole but put yourself in Woodwards shoes. Imagine not giving Ole the contract back then and getting another manager in who may also have failed. We would have slaughtered Woodward for "what could have been" with how Ole was winning every game. Still, Woodward does take some blame for not giving him a shorter contract or waiting till the end of the season.

When it comes to summer 2019 transfers I simply do not understand how Ed Woodward is getting the blame. Time and time again, press conference after press conference Ole has shown his naive approach when it comes to judging players. Ole truly believed we would be fine going in this season with youth like Greenwood and Perreira. Okay, Wan Bissaka Maguire and James are good transfers but they cost a fortune -- any of us could have known Wan Bissaka or Maguire would be good fits. A top manager would (such as Poch) would find a low price bargain. Someone like a Soyuncu.

Ole chose to let Fellaini and Lukaku go and replace them with youngsters from the academy. If Ole identified targets such as Dybala, Bale and/or Modric and the board failed to get them that is not the boards fault. Identifying world class players can be done by any of us on here. The manager failing to identify realistic targets is another blunder on his part.

Furthermore, Woodward is not to blame for Ole playing Perreira on the wings, Mata on the right and back three's when we don't need it.

Yeah feck Woodward but Ole's failure has nothing to do with him. We can be a very successful club even with a shitty board.
Another Woodward out discussion thread. ;)

RuudTom83

Sadly there is no singular cause of United's troubles. Personally I would like to see a change on the boardroom side with a dof appointment.

Will it make a difference, who knows, but so far money has been thrown at players, and managers have been chopped and changed.

Doing more of the same would not be my first recommendation.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don’t blame Woodward as much as some on here. At the end of the day he is an employee just like the manager and it’s becoming increasingly more apparent that he is having to work to a very tight budget.

If Ed leaves today an almost identical replacement would be found and we’d still have the same problems.

The real problem is the fecking Glazers. Nothing will change until they feck off.

Im not saying Woodward is blameless. Not at all. But I do think that a lot of fans are deluding themselves with this belief that replacing Woodward solves most of our problems.

It’s obvious that he is enacting out their wishes to the letter. These are ruthless businessmen and they would have no issues in getting rid of Woodward if he wasn’t doing exactly what they wanted. He’s still here so they are obviously happy with him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t blame Woodward as much as some on here. At the end of the day he is an employee just like the manager and it’s becoming increasingly more apparent that he is having to work to a very tight budget.

If Ed leaves today an almost identical replacement would be found and we’d still have the same problems.

The real problem is the fecking Glazers. Nothing will change until they feck off.

Im not saying Woodward is blameless. Not at all. But I do think that a lot of fans are deluding themselves with this belief that replacing Woodward solves most of our problems.

It’s obvious that he is enacting out their wishes to the letter. These are ruthless businessmen and they would have no issues in getting rid of Woodward if he wasn’t doing exactly what they wanted. He’s still here so they are obviously happy with him.

Our wages structure is ridiculous. We are in 2nd highest one and yet we are in 5th position on the table at the moment nowhere near the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. This is where Ed has to take the blame not Glazer. Overpaying the fees is fine because that's how the market goes nowdays if we really do need the player but overpaying player's wages is ridiculous, Sir Alex & David Gill always maintain the wages structure in balanced but Ed is overpaying them, it doesn't reflect to the performance on the pitch & what we achieved so far.

Mr Smith

Woodward hired Ole, and has briefed the press letting us know he continues to back him.

You can't criticise Ole without criticising Woodward as well.

rollingstoned1

Considering how much we spend and how inefficiently at that i'm amused how many are pointing fingers at the Glazers while giving canned reasons without any real basis and calling them leeches. Spending money has never been our problem, it's how we have chosen to spend it which explains our problems and our current predicament. We are just a reactionary bunch who have no clue what is actually wrong at the club and are yet not prepared to put our finger on it and wait for someone to properly address it but it doesn't keep us from doom mongering and hysteria.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm not excusing Woody, but he backed the managers untill it became obvious how much money was wasted. I think Woody needs to go as well, but no one was unhappy with him hiring Van Gaal at the time, and no was unhappy about him hiring Mourinho. He backed the managers in their first 2 seasons and there's hardly a player worth showing for it.
You sure about that? Only those who wanted United to win at all costs wanted him anywhere near the club.

It's probably the biggest mistake he's made since he replaced David Gill, and he's made a few.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole is responsible to anything directly related to players. Are we shit on set pieces? That's Ole. Are we being beaten by teams who lack the quality we have? Yep that's Ole. Are we coached badly? That's probably Ole as well. Woodward is responsible to anything linked with administration. Do we keep on signing the wrong managers? That's on Woodward. Do we overspend in terms of salaries and fees? That's on Woody as well. Then there's those 'middle line' jobs. Let's take Maguire's deal as an example. We spent 80m on a CB whose nowhere near to WC. Ole probably suggested and the price was probably right as Leicester wouldn't have allowed him to go for cheaper, HOWEVER one must ask if we could have bought someone whose as good but cheaper. That's neither Ole's (Ole is a manager not a DOF/Scout) nor Woodward's (Leicester didn't need to sell so we either buy him on those prices or we simply won't buy him at all) fault. Its probably both the manager and the CEO's fault who are resisting having a decent DOF who would 'restrain' them both. With a decent DOF on board then the former will probably not get his 'British core' utopia he keeps talking about as no sane DOF would allow him to spend 80m on a slight upgrade over Smalling. Meanwhile the latter won't be able to play football manager or lie on how much money the club has at its disposal anymore

I think both are massively out of depth and should be kicked out of the club.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

The Glazers are no doubt the root of the problem, but the way Ed has handled contracts and transfers makes him unfit as well.

Coleyoscar

The highest paid CEO has been in charge for a period of dramatic decline in our club's performance. His period in charge has been characterised by incompetence in the transfer market, the appointment of successive managers who are subsequently sacked and a wage bill that is excessive. In any business or industry on the basis of that record he would be shown the door. I don't want him to die, I just want him to leave.