Blaming Woodward and all those above Ole

Eric's Seagull

Thanks, mate.

Well, I'm not sure how reliable he is either (ESPN is generally rather dodgy, as per the consensus among transfer muppets and whatnot). At any rate, IF we were in for Longstaff at a "reasonable" price, but backed off when they demanded silly money for him - that isn't damnable in itself. He's not a "generational talent", to use that popular phrase - just a promising player.

And the original point was about Longstaff being our only CM target - yes? There were other reports (equally legit - one could say) about us approaching Levy about Eriksen (a completely different profile to Longstaff).

Anyway - what I keep coming back to is Ole's remit and the expectations of the people who pay his salary: if he went into the season with the expectation of being there or thereabouts, it makes no sense whatsoever that he didn't strengthen the middle of the park (after losing Herrera, in particular). As I've said before, if that was the case, we have two alternatives:

a) he's naive (at best). He thought Pereira was good enough - the most obvious example.

b) he was let down by Ed.

I doubt very much that he knew that "there or thereabouts" was expected - but nevertheless only had Longstaff on his list. That really makes no sense at all - no matter what one thinks about his managerial ability or general judgment.
I get why we backed off from Longstaff if that was indeed the price quoted as it seems a crazy fee for someone with only the handful of games he had played last season.

I think it was mad going to into the season without signing a midfielder and I don't think that Ole is that naive. I think that Woodward let him down.

C'est Moi Cantona

How did I miss this thread? It's perverse, if Ole is the problem, and Woodward is the cure, then I'm out.

Can we just get things straight, Ole isn't the best manager we'll ever have, but Woodward will go down as one of the worst things that ever happened to United.

He is currently 'living the dream' on the back of his unquestionable business brilliance, he has no right to be doing what he is just now, yeah he's persuaded his masters to spend some money, but to hell with the fact he had done it absolutely abysmally, and has made mistake after mistake with the managers he's hired, it is beyond unfathomable now that he still has his sympathisers.

Until the Glazers either feck off, or grasp the nettle and oust Woodward, and finally get someone who knows what they are doing in charge, then we are marking time, Ole might as well just stay and learn as he goes.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Difference between a strong successful CEO and your average public person: making decisions that don’t always please the majority.

Ed fails. Over and over and over again at that.

red thru&thru

Quite simple really. Ed is to blame and so are the owners.

Ed sacks the manager when he doesn't perform. Manager is in charge of getting footballing results. Correctly gets the sack if he doesn't perform.

Ed is in charge of the day to day running of Manchester United. He is responsible for them performing primarily on the football front and then the business side. They're failing miserably on the football front and beginning to regress on the business side.

The owners should have sacked Ed by now for failing so bad. On top of lot of other failures.

JK-27

Absolutely delusional statements from the OP. Woodward backed Jose? You mean when Jose asked for Maguire and Woodward said no, too expensive, then exactly one year later with Ole in charge, Woodward says yes to Maguire and pays £10 million more? Doesn't sound like Jose was backed to me.

LVG has publicly said he wanted other players instead of Di Maria, but Woodward and Judge wanted Di Maria.

Woodward gave Moyes a 5 year contract, sacked him within a year.

Woodward gave Jose a new 3 year contract, sacked him within 8 months.

Woodward gave Fellaini a new 2 year contract, sold him within 6 months.

Woodward signed Ole on a temporary basis, and told the world a new permanent manger would be appointed in the following summer. Instead Ole was signed permanently within 4 months of this statement.

Does any of that sound like a man who knows what he's doing or keeps to his word?

Madzik_92

Absolutely delusional statements from the OP. Woodward backed Jose? You mean when Jose asked for Maguire and Woodward said no, too expensive, then exactly one year later with Ole in charge, Woodward says yes to Maguire and pays £10 million more? Doesn't sound like Jose was backed to me.

LVG has publicly said he wanted other players instead of Di Maria, but Woodward and Judge wanted Di Maria.

Woodward gave Moyes a 5 year contract, sacked him within a year.

Woodward gave Jose a new 3 year contract, sacked him within 8 months.

Woodward gave Fellaini a new 2 year contract, sold him within 6 months.

Woodward signed Ole on a temporary basis, and told the world a new permanent manger would be appointed in the following summer. Instead Ole was signed permanently within 4 months of this statement.

Does any of that sound like a man who knows what he's doing or keeps to his word?
I've been telling here that Ed and the owner does not care about football. That is why we're in thia state now. Or else we have will appointed DOF long time ago. Plus, Ole also a terrible manager. He's out of his depth. Why we can beat MC, Tottenham and other top 6 teams but can't do it against lower teams? That's clearly shows us that Ole and the coaches are shite.

JMack1234

You can get the most dynamic Director of Football who could wrap up the Brexit trade deal in half an hour.

You could find the most brilliant recruit team who could pick out the next 5 Ballon D'or winners from the Egyptian 3rd division.

We could the most brilliant owners. Who plough money out of the club out of nothing but love, lower ticket prices to a penny and re-decorate Old Trafford themselves.

All of it will count for nothing if you the manager isn't good enough.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
All of it will count for nothing if you the manager isn't good enough.
Sure but we'll never have a superb man in charge, if the club's manager recruitment is constantly missing the mark.

Somebody appointed Solskjaer and thought it would be a brilliant idea... and now he or they are not so keen on sacking him.

dave1956

There is a pattern here, Arsenal and in the past Liverpool, who have had a longevity of a particular manager, who have overseen the club for many years and had some success. Respective owners, board have had no need to understand the internal workings of the club or the greater footballing side, this has been overseen by the manager, i.e., Fergie in respect of utd.
Suddenly the managers of these afore mentioned clubs retire, now the owners, board members and senior managers are faced with making decisions on football related matters, something which they have little or no knowledge. This in respect to Liverpool was to lead to many years of decline, which may I suggest is now mirrored in the performances of Utd., and Arsenal.
Until the Glazers see this problem and react by introducing a senior director who is responsible for the planning and overseeing the direction of the footballing side of this club then we will continue to decline as a footballing club which will eventually impact on the clubs financial stability.

predator

Youth NITK
Given all the factors behind our shambolic fall in grace as a football club I will blame woodward continually.

I have seen the club win the league by 11 points with cleverly in midfield to then within 6 years, break the world transfer fee, pay the highest wages on average in world football and become a laughing stock. Yet in said period, who is the consistent force? Woodward.

The glazers deserve criticism for not dealing with their employees, not for their investment.

Who paid for Mata, Fellaini, Di Maria, Martial, Pogba, fred, lukaku, and so on and so on whilst also having paid astronomical wages to Schweinsteiger, Ibra, Sanchez, Falcao etc.. and what was the end result?

Its laughable how many of united fans refuse to acknowledge just how much the owners have spent compared to others clubs with similar ambitions.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Oles role is like a politician. He WANTS the job and sometimes when you want something, you have to sacrifice certain things. We don't live in a perfect world, where you can say or do something and it pleases everyone. As for what we've spent, we under spent for many years.....When we lost our midfielders, why did it take so long to replace them? Why did we play failed wingers, as full backs? Yes, we've spent but you could argue there wasn't much intelligence backing it up. The owners relied on Sir Alexs ability but that safety blankets removed. Ole could try to re-create it, that belief that a player can do a job in a different role on a specific opponent..but Oles not Sir Alex. We under spent. We needed bodies, they allowed our squad to become decimated to the point we have a bench full of kids...or a team full of them. We are playing catch up because we lost the focus on improving what we had and allowed fans to think average players are loyal! Isn't that wonderful? Or spending 60-70 % of a transfer budget on one single player is 'SMART' business at a time where prices are going up....we have a big squad, but a young one and as a consequence you get inconsistency. The damage was done well before Ole and more experienced managers couldn't fix it. In fact some allowed good players to go for peanuts....

Last edited:

Amerifan

Despite what Woodward said about investing heavily in improving our recruitment, I suspect we are still well behind the best clubs in identifying moneyball candidates Woodward would prefer to buy. As for established players, I hope we consider how they’ll perform under our system. Most of our so-called “deadwood” were actually quality players played out of position or forced into a role they were unproven or unsuitable for.

oz insomniac

Given the clarity of the need to strengthen the team, even this January window is another test of the brilliance that Woody tells all and sundry he has, if this window is another misfire of incompetence then there is no defence for Woody.

Only a few days till the window opens and negotiations commence.

RUCK4444

Given the clarity of the need to strengthen the team, even this January window is another test of the brilliance that Woody tells all and sundry he has, if this window is another misfire of incompetence then there is no defence for Woody.

If Ed doesn’t make a real effort to gain some additions in January it would be a disgrace.

I don’t care what anybody says if Ole got top four with this team that would be some achievement and it’s entirely possible with a few additions and a fit Pogba.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Woodward should be long gone.
He should be nowhere near the football side of any club.
Everyone seems to think he is brilliant with the finance side but is there evidence of this?
United have grown much slower than other English clubs and its hardly difficult to sell United to sponsors when we are the best supported club in the world.

Fosu-Mens

Short term --> Manager

Long term --> The elements above the manager

This is somewhat dependent on the role, responsibility, time in charge etc, but for our club, I reckon this is fair.

red thru&thru

Ole can only shoulder some of the blame for this past year. Ed and his board have shoulder the blame for the past 6 and a half years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sure but we'll never have a superb man in charge, if the club's manager recruitment is constantly missing the mark.

Somebody appointed Solskjaer and thought it would be a brilliant idea... and now he or they are not so keen on sacking him.
Because based on the polls. Half still thinks ole is a good appointment. And 50 percent of the sample here wants to keep him.

At 50 50 ed cant please both sides

Keefy18

Yea I feel you.

First thing he did was pushed Fellaini out of the club as harshly as possible. Did the same to Lukaku in summer. 'Not Man Utd players.' Kicked Smalling out too, who whilst not great isn't much worse than slabhead. Gave new contracts to all manner of junk (Yes, that includes Mata)

Went on to buy players we needed less, and not ones we needed more.

Went into the season criminally underprepared, and has hung the kids out to dry. I want him sacked ASAP.

Guess I'm not a 'real' fan.

What nonsense is this?

Do you even read anything about the club at all? Actually if you truly believe any of what you've posted you clearly don't.

Lukaku was grossly unprofessional. He showed up late to training and fecked around causing the team to be late in its preparations and when Phelan confronted him he actually had a go at Phelan in return. On top of that he then went AWOL and went to Belgium to train by himself and the worst of all, mocked his team mates in a social media post.

Smalling was not "kicked out" at all FFS! That's completely and utterly a lie.

Smalling fell down the ranks behind Maguire and Vic, he wouldn't play as often and wanted 1st team football. He had zero issues with Ole. There was no fall out and he wasn't booted out. He simply wanted to play, whereas Jones is happy to milk the wage from the club and not play.

Christ some of the posts on this forum of late are disgraceful.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Because based on the polls. Half still thinks ole is a good appointment. And 50 percent of the sample here wants to keep him.

At 50 50 ed cant please both sides
Yup, it's polarization reached a perfect 50/50, but club hopefully isn't run by democracy. If he's a legit CEO he should have whole department of advisors, not to mention board to help him make at least one good decision in 6 years.

Perhaps he has a plan, or he's just experimenting with Ole and hoping for the best. Good thing is there could be at least two solid managers available in the summer, but if it'll be another missed decision then we're probably wasting another 2-3 years with another guy lost in the woods who must make assessment, and there goes another season on finding out if Jones is good player or not. It's getting really ridiculous in that aspect. We need to seriously come up with something good this time and next manager better be proper for United, if we think it's so easy to sack Ole.

RedDevil@84

Woodward has clearly said he/his team are the type who would struggle to get 2 players signed in a summer. Many people agree that Ole has his shortcomings, but firing him and getting in a big name manager is not a solution. It is just a throw of dice.
Especially if club is not going to have any structure defined and continue in the same nonsensical way.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Woodward would've been seen as a success had Fergie still been at the helm. There's alot of criticism that is levelled at Woodward which to some extent is fair and I've even touched upon it myself on numerous occasions. But alot of the criticism to me is very unfair and I'll explain why below.

Woodward's biggest mistake post SAF has been trusting managers whole heartedly with recruitment. I could understand him following the Fergie model under Moyes and Van Gaal because why fix something that isn't broken. But under Mourinho he should've taken the power away from the manager and brought a DoF type figure to the club which would've served us better in recruiting players. But he carried on with his naive approach and kept trusting the managers until it became apparent we were wasting a shit ton of money. And it was at that juncture he took advice from the likes of Bout and Lawlor to curtail Mourinho's spending. I also see zero evidence to suggest that he was making signings on his own whim. The signings were mostly made by the managers who were the football experts and not Woodward.

Woodward believe it or not has been better for the club than David Gill. Gill just rode on the success of Fergie and under his stewardship our academy and scouting network was deteriorating fast. Woodward has helped improve our academy and structure at academy level to a world class level. And the fruits of the work done at youth level will be felt in the next couple of years.

I know this post isn't gonna be popular on here and I agree he does deserve criticism. But some of the criticism levelled at him isn't fair.

Red_toad

What nonsense is this?
Lukaku was grossly unprofessional. He showed up late to training and fecked around causing the team to be late in its preparations and when Phelan confronted him he actually had a go at Phelan in return. On top of that he then went AWOL and went to Belgium to train by himself and the worst of all, mocked his team mates in a social media post.
Christ some of the posts on this forum of late are disgraceful.
Where did you get that story on Lukaku?

Keefy18

Where did you get that story on Lukaku?
Andy Mitten, posted it to the Athletic during the back end or right after the transfer window closed.

He had a falling out with Phelan when they were leaving one of the hotels for the next pre season game. He was late and the two had a bit of a screaming match and after it he fecked off to Belgium to train with Anderlecht youth team and his transfer followed shortly after.

The social media post is common knowledge, it was all over the media.

Stepney73

Short term --> Manager

Long term --> The elements above the manager

This is somewhat dependent on the role, responsibility, time in charge etc, but for our club, I reckon this is fair.

Reverse that.

Any major company underperforming would fire the CEO so the next CEO can put his team and structures in place.

Josep Dowling

Woodward would've been seen as a success had Fergie still been at the helm. There's alot of criticism that is levelled at Woodward which to some extent is fair and I've even touched upon it myself on numerous occasions. But alot of the criticism to me is very unfair and I'll explain why below.

Woodward's biggest mistake post SAF has been trusting managers whole heartedly with recruitment. I could understand him following the Fergie model under Moyes and Van Gaal because why fix something that isn't broken. But under Mourinho he should've taken the power away from the manager and brought a DoF type figure to the club which would've served us better in recruiting players. But he carried on with his naive approach and kept trusting the managers until it became apparent we were wasting a shit ton of money. And it was at that juncture he took advice from the likes of Bout and Lawlor to curtail Mourinho's spending. I also see zero evidence to suggest that he was making signings on his own whim. The signings were mostly made by the managers who were the football experts and not Woodward.

Woodward believe it or not has been better for the club than David Gill. Gill just rode on the success of Fergie and under his stewardship our academy and scouting network was deteriorating fast. Woodward has helped improve our academy and structure at academy level to a world class level. And the fruits of the work done at youth level will be felt in the next couple of years.

I know this post isn't gonna be popular on here and I agree he does deserve criticism. But some of the criticism levelled at him isn't fair.
I see stuff like this all the time. Were you honestly disappointed when we signed Zlatan, Pogba, Micky and Bailly in his first summer?

Second summer we got the best striker available on the market in Lukaku.

Many people wanted us to trump City at all costs for Sanchez.

Hindsights a wonderful thing but no one could have foreseen how bad nearly all this players performed for us. So many rewrite history on his transfer activity.

Bestietom

We need a DOF that can get transfers over the line quickly, and Woody must concentrate on the commercial side of things.

Bulldog United

We need a DOF that can get transfers over the line quickly, and Woody must concentrate on the commercial side of things.
Yes on the commercial side we are the envy of the world. Ed deserves credit for his role in this. We desperately need football men to steer the onfield activities in a better direction. We are practically unstoppable, domestically at least, once we get the latter right. The likes of Liverpool will never be able to compete with us financially.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I see stuff like this all the time. Were you honestly disappointed when we signed Zlatan, Pogba, Micky and Bailly in his first summer?

Second summer we got the best striker available on the market in Lukaku.

Many people wanted us to trump City at all costs for Sanchez.

Hindsights a wonderful thing but no one could have foreseen how bad nearly all this players performed for us. So many rewrite history on his transfer activity.
The post wasn't about my thoughts on Mourinho's recruitment, it was about Mourinho failing with the money provided to him by Woodward. And if anyone is to be blamed here, it shouldn't be Woodward because he backed Mourinho like no other manager before him.

Red Stone

Where has this horseshit that Mr Ed is some amazing financial genius come from?
I have no idea. His job is selling the biggest brand in sports. A monkey could do it. When it comes to the stuff that's actually difficult he always fecks it up. He's all talk and no walk. The Jesse Lingard of CEOs.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I have no idea. His job is selling the biggest brand in sports. A monkey could do it. When it comes to the stuff that's actually difficult he always fecks it up. He's all talk and no walk. The Jesse Lingard of CEOs.
Bang on the money mate, and our growth is slower and smaller than our rivals, he is a complete fraud.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Quite simple really. Ed is to blame and so are the owners.

Ed sacks the manager when he doesn't perform. Manager is in charge of getting footballing results. Correctly gets the sack if he doesn't perform.

Ed is in charge of the day to day running of Manchester United. He is responsible for them performing primarily on the football front and then the business side. They're failing miserably on the football front and beginning to regress on the business side.

The owners should have sacked Ed by now for failing so bad. On top of lot of other failures.
Woodward is certainly the biggest problem United have had in donkeys years, when it comes to making decisions of who to sign or who to sell he should have absolutely nothing to say. He has shown us many times how useless he is at making such decisions. And now in January he is getting ready for another attempt? Pathetic.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

If we're waiting until the window opens to begin transfer negotiations, we're already fecked.

The transfer window is a registration window. At least 90% of the transfer work should take place before it opens.

RMD83

Woodward and the glazers are hands down the biggest problems at the club. As business men I can understand the glazers. It’s been brilliant business from their perspective. The club is like a cash machine for them, a golden goose that never stops laying eggs. Even without success the club prints money for them. But that’s the problem, the club isn’t a business to us, it’s a passion and for that reason they will never be welcome here.
Woodward on the other hand, despite popular opinion on here is not the hapless buffoon we make him out to be. I’m sure he’s a very intelligent man and a great business man. But he’s done more than enough to be removed from his position purely on footballing decisions and the fact that he seems untouchable in his position despite this is a huge concern. And that only highlights the lack of ambition from the glazers for us to be the best football team and not just the most profitable.

UpWithRivers

The problem isn't that Woodward is blamed the problem is he is used as an excuse for the shtty performances for the managers and secondly blamed for things that are just rumors and paper talk. As the Chief Woodward simply has to take a share of the blame. Maybe all of it. But as soon as people start saying he wouldn't do x or y then they are talking sht because we simply do not know what the full story is. The manager can be blamed simply by watching the matches. We need to separate the critique of manager and Chief in separate threads and not link the two. Yes you can say but but but they are linked and yes they are but not in any way a average fan has knowledge of. The scouting, transfers, finance, all of the behind the scenes stuff between CEO and manager is just that behind the scenes. Until a manager comes out and says specifically that the CEO is crap because he did x, y and z and is backed by others then basing what goes on by Twitter rumblings and the Sun is ridiculous at best. Yes some of these stories might actually be true but the odds are that 100000 to 1 are a load of crap.

Denis' cuff

The problem isn't that Woodward is blamed the problem is he is used as an excuse for the shtty performances for the managers and secondly blamed for things that are just rumors and paper talk. As the Chief Woodward simply has to take a share of the blame. Maybe all of it. But as soon as people start saying he wouldn't do x or y then they are talking sht because we simply do not know what the full story is. The manager can be blamed simply by watching the matches. We need to separate the critique of manager and Chief in separate threads and not link the two. Yes you can say but but but they are linked and yes they are but not in any way a average fan has knowledge of. The scouting, transfers, finance, all of the behind the scenes stuff between CEO and manager is just that behind the scenes. Until a manager comes out and says specifically that the CEO is crap because he did x, y and z and is backed by others then basing what goes on by Twitter rumblings and the Sun is ridiculous at best. Yes some of these stories might actually be true but the odds are that 100000 to 1 are a load of crap.
Wtf have you been?

Both of the last two managers quite clearly said they weren’t backed.

It’s not a case of what is reported in The Sun but unless you’re missing something between the ears, it’s as plain as daylight these leeches are bleeding the club left, right and centre. Of course, we don’t know all the details.but hanging onto players who wouldn’t get into the Stockport County squad whilst constantly missing out on top players might be a bit of an indication.... and that’s apart from the stadium, which for the first time since the. Ground was rebuilt, there has bee little or no investment there, either, since the Glazers and their puppet became the curse upon the club.

UpWithRivers

Wtf have you been?

Both of the last two managers quite clearly said they weren’t backed.

It’s not a case of what is reported in The Sun but unless you’re missing something between the ears, it’s as plain as daylight these leeches are bleeding the club left, right and centre. Of course, we don’t know all the details.but hanging onto players who wouldn’t get into the Stockport County squad whilst constantly missing out on top players might be a bit of an indication.... and that’s apart from the stadium, which for the first time since the. Ground was rebuilt, there has bee little or no investment there, either, since the Glazers and their puppet became the curse upon the club.
Managers always say that as an excuse. I specifically said they need their criticism backed by hard evidence or others. Its hearsay at best.
The leeches bleeding the club is not Woodward its the owners. Now your on to a totally different topic. Hanging on to players and missing out on players is exactly what I said. Where is the evidence that that was caused solely by Woodward. The managers, the scouts and everyone else were all involved. Plus the actual player and the agent and the club the player plays for. Its a whole complex business. Lets use the Maguire saga as an example. There is all this rumour that Woodward wouldnt pay an extra 10 mill. Is that true. Is it possible Leicester were asking 20/30 mill more. Was it possible Maguire wasn't giving any indication he wanted to leave. Is it possible he was asking for ridiculous money. Then last season he changed his mind and because he asked to leave behind the scenes Leciester accepted 80? Who knows. Thats my point.
Im not absolving Woodward of any blame. I just dont see how people can accuse him of specifics that I they know nothig about except from articles from the papers.
The ground issue - again owners. You think Woodward refuses to update the ground? He is following orders regarding finances. And thats another thing why does everyone expect the owners not to make money. Its not a charity. Would I like Sir Alex to won it and do it for the love of the club. Heck yeah! Or the fans or anyone that does it for the love of the club. But its hardly surprising that business men owners are running it like a business now is it. The only other option is sell our souls to some billionaire with the blood of a thousand souls on their gold Nikes.

Last edited: