Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Ainu

Finally killed the fecking Orphan, on my 45th attempt! :drool: I did a flawless first half without getting hit once and still ended up scrambling near death with just a single blood vial left. I had to become agressive to end it quickly and just about pulled it off. Feeling pretty much invincible right now, that'll end soon enough when I go after Laurence though. :lol:

Ainu

Thanks. It's weird how I didn't feel pumped up like after beating Ludwig, it's more like an incredible weight fell off my shoulders. I'm just drained after that. A month ago I was pretty much a Souls virgin with failed attempts at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 my only experience with From Software games. I had already decided it wasn't for me and I would never be able to pull off those insane boss fights. Yet now I've solo'd the fecking Orphan of Kos. Turns out it's perfectly possible to get good at this, it's incredibly tough at times but also completely fair, a rare achievement in game design. This has been like a religious experience, in fact I will forever worship From Software after this.

The Bloody-Nine

I strongly recommend that you now attempt to solo Manus (DS1, DLC), Fume Knight (DS2, DLC) and The Nameless King (DS3). :angel:

Hawks2008

Don't forget the bloody crow of cainhurst.
Is that the Grand Cathedral hunter at the end of Eileens questline?? That guy was probably the toughest non-boss NPC along with the shark giants in the Fishing Hamlet.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Thanks. It's weird how I didn't feel pumped up like after beating Ludwig, it's more like an incredible weight fell off my shoulders. I'm just drained after that. A month ago I was pretty much a Souls virgin with failed attempts at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 my only experience with From Software games. I had already decided it wasn't for me and I would never be able to pull off those insane boss fights. Yet now I've solo'd the fecking Orphan of Kos. Turns out it's perfectly possible to get good at this, it's incredibly tough at times but also completely fair, a rare achievement in game design. This has been like a religious experience, in fact I will forever worship From Software after this.
It's just a matter of persistency. I died 25 times at kos and eventually he dies.

Enjoy your first runthrough. 2nd and 3rd is very boring

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Guess I'm one of the few on here who thought the crow hunter was fairly easy.
But then I sucked big time on Maria and another guy parried her to death in a minute. :lol:

I had already decided it wasn't for me and I would never be able to pull off those insane boss fights. Yet now I've solo'd the fecking Orphan of Kos. Turns out it's perfectly possible to get good at this.
This has been like a religious experience, in fact I will forever worship From Software after this.
"git gud" isn't just a comment to help you get past the game. It's a comment to help you get the game. :drool:

Ainu

I strongly recommend that you now attempt to solo Manus (DS1, DLC), Fume Knight (DS2, DLC) and The Nameless King (DS3). :angel:
Planning on getting the DS1 remaster, I assume it includes the DLC. I'm still not finished with Bloodborne though, I've got Laurence left in the DLC and then still have to finish up the main game because I didn't want to enter NG+ for the DLC. I'm right before Mergo's Wet Nurse (I think). And then there's the small matter of depth 4 and 5 chalice dungeons. I missed or messed up pretty much every NPC quest so I want to do a second run as well.

Ainu

Just did Laurence, not too bad considering the horror stories I read beforehand. Some find him harder than Orphan but I got him on less attempts than any of the other DLC bosses, except the Living Failures. Nowhere near as challenging as Orphan. Ludwig and Orphan are by far the greatest fights in the DLC, and perhaps the entire game, just so finely tuned in terms of difficulty and their setting and appearance makes them truly memorable.

Edit: finished up the rest of the main game, probably overleveled due to the DLC so it felt a bit easy. DLC definitely made me a better player though.

Last edited:

Adebesi

In what situation might you use Hunter's Mark?

The only situation I can think of is if you had a load of blood echoes, you died, you really wanted to retrieve them, you were on your way to collect them and you got yourself into some trouble and were about to die. So it'd be like a suicide to preserve the echoes you want to retrieve.

Is that it? The only reason to ever use it?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
In what situation might you use Hunter's Mark?
When you just want to fast-travel and don't have a lot of blood-echoes on you that you are worried you'll miss.
Or in case you get stuck and you are out of bold hunter's marks.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
But you could just die and get the same result.
Can you choose to die if you somehow get stuck?
If the enemies around you are dead or there isn't a place to commit suicide right away and you want to get to a lantern faster, then it's the better choice.
Hunter's mark & bold hunter's mark are also both used amongst speed-runners when developing routes.

It's a situational item, not every item is there because it has to be used. :)

Ainu

Never used a hunter's mark but I did use the bold variant when stumbling into a new boss with too many echoes to lose.

On another note, in an effort to get that last remaining boss (and trophy), I'm currently in the cursed and defiled chalice dungeon. I managed to beat the defiled Watchdog but defiled Amygdala is something else. Getting to her third phase only to get one-shotted by pretty much every attack is no fun. I don't think I'll ever willingly add the cursed modifier to a root dungeon, that's just cheap difficulty in my opinion.

narnar

Needs Help
Never used a hunter's mark but I did use the bold variant when stumbling into a new boss with too many echoes to lose.

On another note, in an effort to get that last remaining boss (and trophy), I'm currently in the cursed and defiled chalice dungeon. I managed to beat the defiled Watchdog but defiled Amygdala is something else. Getting to her third phase only to get one-shotted by pretty much every attack is no fun. I don't think I'll ever willingly add the cursed modifier to a root dungeon, that's just cheap difficulty in my opinion.
My favourite fight! What's your strategy?

If you stay behind her and to the side slightly you can hit her hand when she pounds the ground, and if you are using a long reaching weapon, charge the r2 attack and try and lock on to the head when she lands. If you don't move when she jumps she won't land on you.

Adebesi

Can you choose to die if you somehow get stuck?
If the enemies around you are dead or there isn't a place to commit suicide right away and you want to get to a lantern faster, then it's the better choice.
Hunter's mark & bold hunter's mark are also both used amongst speed-runners when developing routes.

It's a situational item, not every item is there because it has to be used. :)
ok thanks

Siorac

If you stay behind her and to the side slightly you can hit her hand when she pounds the ground, and if you are using a long reaching weapon, charge the r2 attack and try and lock on to the head when she lands. If you don't move when she jumps she won't land on you.
Defiled Amygdala is your favourite fight?!

What do you do in your free time, for fun, when you're not gaming? Go for a nice root canal at the dentist?

narnar

Needs Help
Defiled Amygdala is your favourite fight?!

What do you do in your free time, for fun, when you're not gaming? Go for a nice root canal at the dentist?
:lol:

I think I've attempted it that many times I just have that boss down to a tee.

Martyr logarius though, feck him.

Siorac

:lol:

I think I've attempted it that many times I just have that boss down to a tee.

Martyr logarius though, feck him.
Hehh - Logarius is MY favourite fight in the base game (well, alongside Amelia and Gascoigne).

I just cheesed Defiled Amygdala with Simon's Bowblade because, well, feck that noise. I don't even like fighting regular Amygdala.

Ainu

My strategy for the first two phases is to stay in front, locked on to the head and just dodge most attacks left. When she does the attacks where she leaves her arms on the ground while recovering, I go in for two R1 hits. This works perfectly, I usually get to phase 3 without taking any damage.

My strategy for phase 3 is to fail and die. Her forward extended attacks have so much range I can't get to the arms quickly enough to get in hits (especially since you have to get her actual arms, not the ones she's holding). If I try staying closer while dodging, she will connect eventually which means death. If I try to get to her back leg to attack the one available arm, this triggers the jump fairly often. Most of the time, staying perfectly still means the jump doesn't hit you, but every so often, it will hit and it's another one-hit death for me. Considering how long it takes to get her down with her absurd HP and my pathetic damage, one of these one-hit-kill deaths will inevitably happen, ruining a good 5-10 minutes of work in a split second.

I just don't like this fight, it's difficult for all the wrong reasons. I took nearly 50 tries on Orphan of Kos but while I hated his guts, I respected that fight. It was tough but fair. I even respected the defiled Watchdog fight, as even though his charge is one-hit-kill, it can be dodged 100% of the time. Defiled Amygdala with her jump just feels random. If she decides she's had enough, she will randomly connect with her jump and that's game over, leaving you wondering what you could've done better. It's the only fight in the entire game I would call cheap.

Adebesi

I havent actually had a situation where Ive been stuck yet. Not in that sense, anyway. In the sense of being utterly unable to progress, definitely. But not in a situation where I cant move or there is nobody around to kill me.

It took me quite a long time to get to grips with a lot of my items though. Last night I was going through them because I have collected so much stuff and most of it I didnt really know what it did. Some things I know what they do but I find it hard to use them in combat situations. Like oil urns: I dont have time to throw and oil urn, then change to a molotov and throw that, all while staying out of the way of a difficult enemy.

Antidote was another, but since i got into the forbidden woods they suddenly feel more useful than they did.

Definitely feeling more confident in the game now. Though these shadow wraith bosses in the woods seem tricky - yet another boss that could take me a while. (Luckily the witches in Hemwick posed no real challenge, and neither did the boss in Old Yharnam.)

Siorac

My strategy for the first two phases is to stay in front, locked on to the head and just dodge most attacks left. When she does the attacks where she leaves her arms on the ground while recovering, I go in for two R1 hits. This works perfectly, I usually get to phase 3 without taking any damage.

My strategy for phase 3 is to fail and die. Her forward extended attacks have so much range I can't get to the arms quickly enough to get in hits (especially since you have to get her actual arms, not the ones she's holding). If I try staying closer while dodging, she will connect eventually which means death. If I try to get to her back leg to attack the one available arm, this triggers the jump fairly often. Most of the time, staying perfectly still means the jump doesn't hit you, but every so often, it will hit and it's another one-hit death for me. Considering how long it takes to get her down with her absurd HP and my pathetic damage, one of these one-hit-kill deaths will inevitably happen, ruining a good 5-10 minutes of work in a split second.

I just don't like this fight, it's difficult for all the wrong reasons. I took nearly 50 tries on Orphan of Kos but while I hated his guts, I respected that fight. It was tough but fair. I even respected the defiled Watchdog fight, as even though his charge is one-hit-kill, it can be dodged 100% of the time. Defiled Amygdala with her jump just feels random. If she decides she's had enough, she will randomly connect with her jump and that's game over, leaving you wondering what you could've done better. It's the only fight in the entire game I would call cheap.
Beast Blood Pellet, Bolt Paper? If you increase your damage, at least you don't have to play flawlessly for that long.

Ainu

Beast Blood Pellet, Bolt Paper? If you increase your damage, at least you don't have to play flawlessly for that long.
I've considered using fire or bolt on her third phase, I'll try it when I get home from work. That or bone marrow ash on her head. I rage quit last night when she ended a 10 minute no damage run at less than 10% health with a one-hit-kill jump so perhaps with a clearer head I'll get her. I'm never going near a cursed dungeon again after this though. I don't see the fun side of it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I havent actually had a situation where Ive been stuck yet. Not in that sense, anyway. In the sense of being utterly unable to progress, definitely. But not in a situation where I cant move or there is nobody around to kill me.

It took me quite a long time to get to grips with a lot of my items though. Last night I was going through them because I have collected so much stuff and most of it I didnt really know what it did. Some things I know what they do but I find it hard to use them in combat situations. Like oil urns: I dont have time to throw and oil urn, then change to a molotov and throw that, all while staying out of the way of a difficult enemy.

Antidote was another, but since i got into the forbidden woods they suddenly feel more useful than they did.

Definitely feeling more confident in the game now. Though these shadow wraith bosses in the woods seem tricky - yet another boss that could take me a while. (Luckily the witches in Hemwick posed no real challenge, and neither did the boss in Old Yharnam.)
I've not had the "stuck" experience in bloodborne. But in a game that auto-saves, this sort of thing could be ruining peoples saves:

I found very little use for items myself with my play-style. I used the oil + molotov against the bridge-boss, and maybe against the graveyard one & I think I used the blood cocktails against the blood-starved beast in one of the chalice dungeons. I used papers just to add some damage but it's obviously not needed. I used bold hunters marks when I was farming echoes.

Items I haven't used or used much that can be very strong:
Bonemarrow ash (paired with canon for example can do one-shots, even in pvp), rope molotov can be used to kill off enemies/players with low health that dodge around annoyingly, blue elixir makes it easier to sneak past enemies or can be used for hiding in pvp, blood pellets if you are confident in your ability to kill something fast or dodge as you increase offense with a loss of defense. Shaman blade can make a boss or 3 (hinthint*) much easier. If you get ganged up on it can turn the tide as well.

Adebesi

Dont think ive come across the shaman blade, dont remember that in my inventory. Ill look it up and see if I can track it down.

Another thing is new weapons. Occasionally I think I might like to go and do a bit of shopping, get myself a nice new weapon. But then I browse and nothing jumps out at me. The kirkhammer thing looks good but I have upgraded my axe 5 times now, even if the hammer is better itll take a while to get it to the level my axe is at.

Then I wonder whether it makes more sense to get an altogether different kind of weapon, to use in different situations, perhaps a quicker weapon that deals less damage but is good for enemies that are harder to land hits on with the axe. (I actually do have the rifle spear - and I upgraded it a few times as well - but I havent really felt the love for it so far.) But I have levelled myself up with the two handed axe in mind, lots of strength, not so much skill. So maybe it is too late to think about trying something like the cane. I dont know.

Whenever I think about it I end up feeling a bit overwhelmed and decide the best thing to do is just go out with my axe and start chopping people up.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Dont think ive come across the shaman blade, dont remember that in my inventory. Ill look it up and see if I can track it down.

Another thing is new weapons. Occasionally I think I might like to go and do a bit of shopping, get myself a nice new weapon. But then I browse and nothing jumps out at me. The kirkhammer thing looks good but I have upgraded my axe 5 times now, even if the hammer is better itll take a while to get it to the level my axe is at.

Then I wonder whether it makes more sense to get an altogether different kind of weapon, to use in different situations, perhaps a quicker weapon that deals less damage but is good for enemies that are harder to land hits on with the axe. (I actually do have the rifle spear - and I upgraded it a few times as well - but I havent really felt the love for it so far.) But I have levelled myself up with the two handed axe in mind, lots of strength, not so much skill. So maybe it is too late to think about trying something like the cane. I dont know.

Whenever I think about it I end up feeling a bit overwhelmed and decide the best thing to do is just go out with my axe and start chopping people up.
Just find a weapon you like the moveset to and stick with that. All weapons are good in the game and you'll be able to +9 all of them through farming/buying the stuff needed. +10 items are a bit more rare so by the end of your collection you'll have found a weapon or two you like and +10 them.

Personally I started out with the saw cleaver & tested out kirkhammer early on but settling on Ludwig's holy blade until late/end game when i fell in love with Simon's bowblade, Evelyn & the cannon.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Well they both spawn there, depending on whether you're progressing Eileen's quest or not :P
Nah, Eileen spawns outside and after beating the guy maybe inside but not to my memory. I remember him, but I might've used the wrong words to show it was him and not Eileen I was thinking of. :p

Woodzy

So is the DLC for this worth it? I keep reading stuff here that I don’t recognise and it makes me wonder if I’m missing out on quite a bit by not trying the DLC.

I assumed it was nothing more than a couple of extra bosses...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So is the DLC for this worth it? I keep reading stuff here that I don’t recognise and it makes me wonder if I’m missing out on quite a bit by not trying the DLC.

Yes. Absolutely worth it. Harder bosses, great weapons, interesting story and there is a lot more of it than there normally is in a soulsborne dlc.

Siorac

It has five new bosses and four of them are great, both mechanically and storywise. Brilliant weapons, interesting and well-designed areas - I think it's a candidate for being the best piece of Soulsborne content.

Ainu

Nah, Eileen spawns outside and after beating the guy maybe inside but not to my memory. I remember him, but I might've used the wrong words to show it was him and not Eileen I was thinking of. :p
Eileen only spawns inside if you don't progress her quest enough before a certain point. She becomes an enemy in that case and that's where you fight here. You would've known it was her though, since she has dialogue.

If you love Bloodborne, it's absolutely worth it, especially if you're into the lore of the game. There are a couple of new locations that are pretty challenging and the boss fights are fantastic. The bosses are a lot tougher than anything outside of the chalice dungeons in the main game and their design is brilliant in my opinion.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Eileen only spawns inside if you don't progress her quest enough before a certain point. She becomes an enemy in that case and that's where you fight here. You would've known it was her though, since she has dialogue.

If you love Bloodborne, it's absolutely worth it, especially if you're into the lore of the game. There are a couple of new locations that are pretty challenging and the boss fights are fantastic. The bosses are a lot tougher than anything outside of the chalice dungeons in the main game and their design is brilliant in my opinion.
Eileen was more or less dead outside with a guy on the inside who had kicked her ass and wanted to kick mine. He was actively using his blunderbuss/gun which did a lot of damage. :p

Siorac

Worth adding that it's a LOT easier to get the Blades of Mercy this way. Eileen is dead either way.

Siorac

Eileen was more or less dead outside with a guy on the inside who had kicked her ass and wanted to kick mine. He was actively using his blunderbuss/gun which did a lot of damage. :p
And you found that guy easy? Respect. I think he's the single hardest opponent in the game, DLC bosses included. I usually kill him with poison knife + numbing mist cheese.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
And you found that guy easy? Respect. I think he's the single hardest opponent in the game, DLC bosses included. I usually kill him with poison knife + numbing mist cheese.
I found him easy because his shots didn't manage to catch me attacking him, so I wasn't open for viscerals. I've only had to fight him once after all.
I struggled a lot with Maria who had a similar style, but was just stronger overall for me and that to a level where I genuinely struggled.