Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

Siorac

I found him easy because his shots didn't manage to catch me attacking him, so I wasn't open for viscerals. I've only had to fight him once after all.
I struggled a lot with Maria who had a similar style, but was just stronger overall for me and that to a level where I genuinely struggled.
I'm pretty decent at Maria, especially because she's a LOT easier to parry. She also doesn't heal, and doesn't have the bloody Hunter's Bone.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm pretty decent at Maria, especially because she's a LOT easier to parry. She also doesn't heal, and doesn't have the bloody Hunter's Bone.
I never was good at parrying (at least not until i started speed-running the game a few times for trophies), so I had to learn to dodge stuff I couldn't properly see (the blood-phase of Maria). Meaning I felt more comfortable dodging stuff I could see and react to, like that guy from Eileen's questline. :)

Ainu

Finally killed defiled Amygdala. :drool: She mercifully decided to miss her jumping attacks in the third phase and I got a free hit on her head pretty much every time. I still think it's a bit bullshit because with some unlucky RNG any one of those jumps could've killed me right at the end. I'm just happy to have her behind me, I'm never doing a cursed dungeon again. And to think some people do F/R/C dungeons for fun. :lol:

Siorac

Finally killed defiled Amygdala. :drool: She mercifully decided to miss her jumping attacks in the third phase and I got a free hit on her head pretty much every time. I still think it's a bit bullshit because with some unlucky RNG any one of those jumps could've killed me right at the end. I'm just happy to have her behind me, I'm never doing a cursed dungeon again. And to think some people do F/R/C dungeons for fun. :lol:
Yeah but you should stay away from those people. They should be studied in some kind of biohazard lab.

Congrats! I only ever went through the Chalice Dungeons once, for the Platinum - and I have no intention of ever touching them again. All they do is highlight how important level design is in these games.

Ainu

Yeah but you should stay away from those people. They should be studied in some kind of biohazard lab.

Congrats! I only ever went through the Chalice Dungeons once, for the Platinum - and I have no intention of ever touching them again. All they do is highlight how important level design is in these games.
I actually really like the chalice dungeons, even though the design could've used some more variation. But cursed dungeons? No! Although I have to say outside of the bosses I don't think the defiled chalice was that bad, it made me play extremely carefully which was interesting, but pretty stressful.

Siorac

I actually really like the chalice dungeons, even though the design could've used some more variation. But cursed dungeons? No! Although I have to say outside of the bosses I don't think the defiled chalice was that bad, it made me play extremely carefully which was interesting, but pretty stressful.
It's just that after a while, the whole "find the lever to open the door that you see right away when you enter the level, get back to the door, fight the boss, rinse and repeat" thing got really tedious. And exploring them for the good loot was also terribly repetitive and soul-crushing while it's a joy to do in the normal game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not sure I'm ready for this after DS3. :nervous:

These games are wonderful but really exhausting too.

Siorac

I have 300+ hours in this one and I'm playing it again, even though I have a billion new games awaiting my attention. If you enjoy the Souls games, you will almost certainly love it. There may be Dark Souls fans who don't like Bloodborne but I never met one.

It's waaaay faster but the combat, in my opinion, is the most satisfying of the series. The design is very consistent, as is the quality from start to finish - there's no huge drop-off as in the original Dark Souls. And this time the obligatory toxic swamp is entirely optional.

Play it, you won't regret it.

Ainu

It's just that after a while, the whole "find the lever to open the door that you see right away when you enter the level, get back to the door, fight the boss, rinse and repeat" thing got really tedious. And exploring them for the good loot was also terribly repetitive and soul-crushing while it's a joy to do in the normal game.
I can understand that, but they're essentially an entirely optional bonus next to the already huge main game for those who want to enjoy it. You could say a limited amount of dungeons is mandatory if you want to experience every single boss fight in the game but if you don't enjoy them you can safely skip them. I'm glad they're in there, even though I can't really see myself playing too many root chalices after I've exhausted the fixed ones.

As @Siorac said, play it, you won't regret it. I think this is the first game ever I've started a New Game+ run immediately after completing it. It's that good. I think I'm actually enjoying this second run even more than the first, the lore is making a lot more sense this time around.

Adebesi

In terms of the lore, I have basically no idea what's going on in this game. Im just running around the place killing things, having signed a contract at the start of the game. Beyond that Im none the wiser.

I read the guy who made it grew up watching horror films in English that he didn't really understand and wanted to create a similar vibe: eerines without a clear sense of overall plot.

Siorac

In terms of the lore, I have basically no idea what's going on in this game. Im just running around the place killing things, having signed a contract at the start of the game. Beyond that Im none the wiser.

I read the guy who made it grew up watching horror films in English that he didn't really understand and wanted to create a similar vibe: eerines without a clear sense of overall plot.
"You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it..."

You'll either figure some stuff out by looking at item descriptions and such - or just look it up at the end. Also known as the Soulsborne way.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Hehh - Logarius is MY favourite fight in the base game (well, alongside Amelia and Gascoigne).

I just cheesed Defiled Amygdala with Simon's Bowblade because, well, feck that noise. I don't even like fighting regular Amygdala.
The one I struggled the most with was the spider one, fought it around 30 times before getting it right.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

Give it time, it'll suddenly all click, that what happened with me, went in not understanding anything then found to be one of my most favorite games, used to play all single player games on normal difficulty now I always go with the highest difficulty, fecking soulsborne.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Ainu

The one I struggled the most with was the spider one, fought it around 30 times before getting it right.
You mean Rom? It's just annoying because it's such a long fight and you have to stay patient, but I don't think it's that bad. My worst ones in the regular game (so outside of DLC or chalices) were Paarl, Logarius and Ebrietas. Logarius is made a lot worse by the terrible route to it. First the screaming bitches, then the ranged hits while you're climbing the ladder and finally the inevitable fall damage on the rooftops. I hated that run!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
You mean Rom? It's just annoying because it's such a long fight and you have to stay patient, but I don't think it's that bad. My worst ones in the regular game (so outside of DLC or chalices) were Paarl, Logarius and Ebrietas. Logarius is made a lot worse by the terrible route to it. First the screaming bitches, then the ranged hits while you're climbing the ladder and finally the inevitable fall damage on the rooftops. I hated that run!
Hardest in the game without the DLC's for me was Ebrietas. :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I killed Paarl way overleveled so it was pretty easy for me, also Ebrietas I killed on my first try, I got lucky and died right after the last hit, thought I will have to redo the fight but was surprised that I didn't. :D

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Oh and yes I meant Rom, everytime I felt I was in control one of the little spiders jumped on me and insta killed me, it was very frustrating, after that fight the game went very smoothly for me though.

Ainu

I killed Paarl way overleveled so it was pretty easy for me, also Ebrietas I killed on my first try, I got lucky and died right after the last hit, thought I will have to redo the fight but was surprised that I didn't. :D
I think my problem with Paarl is I just wasn't ready. I tried to take it on when I was kidnapped right after killing the Blood-Starved Beast, before Amelia. Huge bag of nope. The AOE discharge was brutal. I'll be coming up to it soon again on my NG+ run, I'm not anticipating any major troubles this time around.

Siorac

Hardest in the game without the DLC's for me was Ebrietas. :lol:
I always beat Ebrietas on the first or second try and I never have any idea what is going on. I stay behind her, hacking away, dodging when something obvious happens and healing when I just take damage from something I can't see. But generally, the bolt paper + Beast Blood Pellet + transform attack strategy works really well.

Though to be fair, I usually go there with at least a +8 weapon, after collecting all the Blood Stone Chunks at Yahar'gul.

Siorac

I think my problem with Paarl is I just wasn't ready. I tried to take it on when I was kidnapped right after killing the Blood-Starved Beast, before Amelia. Huge bag of nope. The AOE discharge was brutal. I'll be coming up to it soon again on my NG+ run, I'm not anticipating any major troubles this time around.
Paarl? Aim for the legs. You can pretty much stunlock the fecker if you do enough damage to the legs.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I always beat Ebrietas on the first or second try and I never have any idea what is going on. I stay behind her, hacking away, dodging when something obvious happens and healing when I just take damage from something I can't see. But generally, the bolt paper + Beast Blood Pellet + transform attack strategy works really well.

Though to be fair, I usually go there with at least a +8 weapon, after collecting all the Blood Stone Chunks at Yahar'gul.
I went in way too early, any hit was fatal. :lol:

Ainu

Paarl? Aim for the legs. You can pretty much stunlock the fecker if you do enough damage to the legs.
Yeah but the issue was having a barely upgraded weapon so it took a lot of hits for that to happen, and the AOE discharge was a one-hit-kill due to low VIT. It was probably hard because I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have 300+ hours in this one and I'm playing it again, even though I have a billion new games awaiting my attention. If you enjoy the Souls games, you will almost certainly love it. There may be Dark Souls fans who don't like Bloodborne but I never met one.

It's waaaay faster but the combat, in my opinion, is the most satisfying of the series. The design is very consistent, as is the quality from start to finish - there's no huge drop-off as in the original Dark Souls. And this time the obligatory toxic swamp is entirely optional.

Play it, you won't regret it.
I can understand that, but they're essentially an entirely optional bonus next to the already huge main game for those who want to enjoy it. You could say a limited amount of dungeons is mandatory if you want to experience every single boss fight in the game but if you don't enjoy them you can safely skip them. I'm glad they're in there, even though I can't really see myself playing too many root chalices after I've exhausted the fixed ones.

As @Siorac said, play it, you won't regret it. I think this is the first game ever I've started a New Game+ run immediately after completing it. It's that good. I think I'm actually enjoying this second run even more than the first, the lore is making a lot more sense this time around.
Oh I know I won't regret it. It's an absolutely incredible series. But it is also undeniable stressful and anger inducing which is worth it in general but possibly not right now given I've got every long working hours till august.

On another note, how is the difficulty compared to DS 3? How many bosses in the main game would compare to Dancer or the Twin Princes in DS3?

Siorac

Oh I know I won't regret it. It's an absolutely incredible series. But it is also undeniable stressful and anger inducing which is worth it in general but possibly not right now given I've got every long working hours till august.

On another note, how is the difficulty compared to DS 3? How many bosses in the main game would compare to Dancer or the Twin Princes in DS3?
In my opinion, it is easier than Dark Souls 3. DS3 significantly ramped up the speed of the game compared to previous souls games: enemies are faster, more aggressive - but the player character's capabilities didn't really change that much. We weren't given any extra tools to deal with the change, besides the lowered stamina cost of rolling.

Now Bloodborne is even faster but the player character reflects that as well. The game is deliberately built around fast, frentic combat. Your character is fast, can cover significant distances very quickly so you can get out of trouble easily and get back in to deal some damage when it's safe. The rally mechanic - recovering health by attacking immediately after getting hit - also supports this aggressive playstyle and reduces the significance of errors.

No boss in the base game of Bloodborne gave me as much trouble as the Dancer or Twin Princes. Sister Friede is harder than anything Bloodborne throws at you - again, in my opinion -, including DLC bosses.

EDIT: oh, one more thing. I think DS3 has the best bossfights in the series, hands down. Only the DS1 DLC and the Bloodborne DLC come close.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

First off, it might not apply to you, but:
One of the most stressful part about the soulsborne genre is that people don't 'prepare to die'. You get your shield to hide behind in DS1 before you get a weapon and so your challenge to not die holds you on the edge on the careful side.

One of the things bloodborn does so well is removing that feeling by simply removing the shield.
On DS1 I always used a shield, it was my first game.
On DS2 I went mage because I thought the hit boxes/detection was bs.
On bloodborn I was being more aggressive and more focused on dodging when the blow comes so I could fast get in more hits and win 'better'.

When DS3 came my style from bloodborn had changed the way I approached dark souls. Not to the point where I never used a shield but to the point where I'd much more often dodge and be more aggressive In my playstyle.

When I then turned to Nioh I was having the best time I've had with a game of the type, fighting on the edge offensively as opposed to defensively as I did when I started out on DS1.

My real first of these was Lords of the fallen, but that was really a easy difficulty game compared to the others. Everything was super slow.

As for the bosses:
I'd argue it depends on your style, but the hardest main-game boss in ds3 was Nameless King. He is harder than any base-game bosses from bloodborn.
The twin princes I'd argue are also harder than any main game bosses from bloodborn. But the dlc bosses in bloodborn are (1 aside) all harder than the twin princes.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I wish they would make a sequel, really do.
One can hope that after Sekiro comes Bloodborne 2.:drool:

On another note, I don't think I'll bother going back for the queens trophy that I'm lacking for the platinum. Once I put away these games I seem to be done with them.

narnar

Needs Help
One can hope that after Sekiro comes Bloodborne 2.:drool:

On another note, I don't think I'll bother going back for the queens trophy that I'm lacking for the platinum. Once I put away these games I seem to be done with them.
How much more do you need to do for the platinum? The chalice dungeons were very enjoyable, some of the bosses at the least anyway.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
How much more do you need to do for the platinum? The chalice dungeons were very enjoyable, some of the bosses at the least anyway.
Can't remember 100%, maybe 1 or 2 more chalices? I might have finished the one where they cut hp in half or i might be in the process of doing those.
It's not that it became hard, I just grew bored of the repeating cycle of entering the dungeon, seeing the boss-door, running past enemies and unlocking the door, heading back and beat up a boss.

I expect by others comments that bosses would have become harder at some point, but it got boring before that. I enjoyed some of the bosses. Especially the black dog that looked like the Beast of darkness from Berserk.

RedFish

Need to go back and play this game again, first time I tried I gave up, its so bloody hard. About to finish Wolfeinstein2 so I'll have another bash.

Chairman Steve

I love this game too. Probably the best Lovecraftian game ever made, where there’s a ton of hilariously bad or plain boring Lovecraftian games.

FromSoft have put possible hints of a sequel in their new VR game Deracine. It’d be very nice if they made a sequel since there’s a huge following off of it. If it was a PS5 launch exclusive I imagine Sony would be rubbing their hands as Bloodborne is one of the very few platform exclusives that is worth it.

FromSoft and Sony Japan Studio have a very good track record too. Demon Souls was their other collab and is now deemed more favoured than it was on its release, following the releases of the Dark Souls trilogy and Bloodborne and people cry out for a remaster of that too.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I have been playing this currently. Really enjoying it.

I met Eileen the Crow outside the Cathedral Ward and she talked about some hunter going rogue and then went to the graveyard where the fight with Father Gascoigne takes place to find her fighting a hunter. Now while trying to help her, I accidently killed her. The question I have is how badly have I fecked up the game? I guess her story and missions coming from her are all gone and so are the potential rewards that I could have gotten.

Siorac

I have been playing this currently. Really enjoying it.

I met Eileen the Crow outside the Cathedral Ward and she talked about some hunter going rogue and then went to the graveyard where the fight with Father Gascoigne takes place to find her fighting a hunter. Now while trying to help her, I accidently killed her. The question I have is how badly have I fecked up the game? I guess her story and missions coming from her are all gone and so are the potential rewards that I could have gotten.
Well, yeah, you missed out the end of her storyline. It's no big deal overall. You miss out on a fight against an absolute bastard hunter. He's just... a royal pain. I don't think I ever killed him without abusing the AI.

If she died, she should have dropped the Crow Hunter Badge, check that. If you have it, you can buy the Blade of Mercy, a pretty great Skill weapon.

harshad

Scout
Well, yeah, you missed out the end of her storyline. It's no big deal overall. You miss out on a fight against an absolute bastard hunter. He's just... a royal pain. I don't think I ever killed him without abusing the AI.

If she died, she should have dropped the Crow Hunter Badge, check that. If you have it, you can buy the Blade of Mercy, a pretty great Skill weapon.
Cheers for this. Will check for the Crow Hunter Badge. Any idea which where to go after defeating Vicar Amelia?

Siorac

Cheers for this. Will check for the Crow Hunter Badge. Any idea which where to go after defeating Vicar Amelia?
Your next stop should be the Forbidden Woods. There's a door at the bottom of a flight of stairs, not far from the graveyard where the huge lumbering monsters are, that asks for a password. If you defeated Vicar Amelia and watched the cutscene afterwards, your character knows the password.

harshad

Scout
Your next stop should be the Forbidden Woods. There's a door at the bottom of a flight of stairs, not far from the graveyard where the huge lumbering monsters are, that asks for a password. If you defeated Vicar Amelia and watched the cutscene afterwards, your character knows the password.
Yeah I reached that door which asked for the password before. Didnt know I have the password now :lol:

Thanks for this.

Siorac

Yeah I reached that door which asked for the password before. Didnt know I have the password now :lol:

Thanks for this.
No problem. I wish I could enjoy this game for the first time again. I basically played it for 200 hours straight back when I first got it.