Gaming Bloodborne (PS4)

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I needed help with every boss bar the 1st.

I'm a fraud but sure felt good clocking the game.
I had difficulty in killing Blood Starved Beast and Dark Beast Paarl and called for help from the Old Hunters. I still died. I then learned the move sets of them both and was able to finally beat them single handed. But for Shadows, I called for help from not 1 but 2 places. Hope I dont have to go through the Forbidden Woods area again.

Irwin99

Finished it! (base game, no DLC...except for one boss)

Overall I liked it but I have to say I enjoyed the Dark Souls trilogy more. I just felt there was more flexibility/customization, more variety in enemies/environments in the Souls games and I really fecking hated farming for blood vials- I know that's probably more of a sign of being a 'bad' player but still, it irritated me. I can definitely understand why some people like this as a more streamlined version of the Souls experience though. The horror aspect was really good too and the music was just fantastic.

Hopefully will get to play Demon Souls on the PS5 one day.

harshad

Scout
There was a secret road in Forbidden Woods that I hadnt explored and upon venturing into it and crossing the poisonous lake I finally got back to Iosefka's Clinic. Inside there found an item called Cainhurst Summons. Does this mean a new area is accessible now? How do I get to it?

Ainu

Why am I not doing any damage to Amygdala? Tried a level 7 Hunters Axe and a level 6 Tonitrus yet the damage I end up doing is minimal.
You need to attack the front arms or head. I don't remember it having that much health, so you're probably just not hitting it right.

Irwin99

How much more difficult is new game plus? I missed one optional boss and couldn't advance very far with the DLC before I gave up and just finished the base game. I still have a few trophies I wouldn't mind getting but the platinum seems a bit too far out of reach.

Ainu

How much more difficult is new game plus? I missed one optional boss and couldn't advance very far with the DLC before I gave up and just finished the base game. I still have a few trophies I wouldn't mind getting but the platinum seems a bit too far out of reach.
Significantly easier. YMMV due to what level you finished it the first time, but I was hitting enemies for a lot more damage compared to NG and of course there's all the knowledge and skill you've acquired. I went through NG+ in a fraction of the time I needed in NG and boss deaths were relatively rare. One word of advice in case you're planning to try the DLC again though: wait until you're in the final third of the base game again, as it scales to late-game levels.

harshad

Scout
You need to attack the front arms or head. I don't remember it having that much health, so you're probably just not hitting it right.
You were correct, I was just not hitting it right :lol:

Managed to kill it on my second attempt today. I doubt I got any hits on the head of Amygdala but I did manage to hit its front arms. Also I had equipped bolt paper on my hunters axe and it noticeably did more damage. Towards the end after it ripped its arms off, I probably missed more attacks than landed them :lol:

Onto Cainhurst Castle and feck me but those spiders do insane damage

Irwin99

Significantly easier. YMMV due to what level you finished it the first time, but I was hitting enemies for a lot more damage compared to NG and of course there's all the knowledge and skill you've acquired. I went through NG+ in a fraction of the time I needed in NG and boss deaths were relatively rare. One word of advice in case you're planning to try the DLC again though: wait until you're in the final third of the base game again, as it scales to late-game levels.
Thanks. It doesn't seem too much of a jump so far although my weapons don't seem to be hitting as hard.

Oh and feck the trophy guide I looked at for instructing me to treacherously kill an NPC to get his badge but not telling me explicitly that I had to do this the SECOND time I met him and not the first time. I think I have every other weapon in the game but that one and now it's gone in this playthough :(

harshad

Scout
Thanks. It doesn't seem too much of a jump so far although my weapons don't seem to be hitting as hard.

Oh and feck the trophy guide I looked at for instructing me to treacherously kill an NPC to get his badge but not telling me explicitly that I had to do this the SECOND time I met him and not the first time. I think I have every other weapon in the game but that one and now it's gone in this playthough :(
Alfred?

Also, which trophy guide are you looking at? I am following the ones on psnprofiles.

Irwin99

Alfred?

Also, which trophy guide are you looking at? I am following the ones on psnprofiles.
Yes, and PSN profiles which is normally great. Maybe I should have been more careful. It's just frustrating missing out on it for such a stupid reason.

harshad

Scout
Yes, and PSN profiles which is normally great. Maybe I should have been more careful. It's just frustrating missing out on it for such a stupid reason.
Aah... Which weapon is this? I just looked at the trophy guide at psnprofiles and it didn't seem that there was any weapon that we need to kill Alfred to get.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Aah... Which weapon is this? I just looked at the trophy guide at psnprofiles and it didn't seem that there was any weapon that we need to kill Alfred to get.
Logarius' Wheel from Wheel Hunter Badge. The guide didn't explicitly say to kill on second viewing but did say to back up in case anything went wrong. It is only when you Google his name people explicitly say to kill on second viewing.

Don't need to kill him - can do his storyline but killing him is quicker.

harshad

Scout
Logarius' Wheel from Wheel Hunter Badge. The guide didn't explicitly say to kill on second viewing but did say to back up in case anything went wrong. It is only when you Google his name people explicitly say to kill on second viewing.

Don't need to kill him - can do his storyline but killing him is quicker.
Thanks for this.

I reached Yahargul Unseen Village and got the Tiny Tonitrus from a chest. Opposite to that is an item inside a cage but there doesnt seem to any door from which I can open it. Also couldnt find the bell ringing lady for this area who is reviving the dead enemies. Any idea how to go about getting that item?

Ainu

Thanks for this.

I reached Yahargul Unseen Village and got the Tiny Tonitrus from a chest. Opposite to that is an item inside a cage but there doesnt seem to any door from which I can open it. Also couldnt find the bell ringing lady for this area who is reviving the dead enemies. Any idea how to go about getting that item?
It's been a while but I believe you need to drop into the cage through a hole in the roof somewhere. Probably from a ledge or something. I don't remember a bell maiden in that level, I thought they only spawned in the nightmare areas, unless you've invited another player.

harshad

Scout
It's been a while but I believe you need to drop into the cage through a hole in the roof somewhere. Probably from a ledge or something. I don't remember a bell maiden in that level, I thought they only spawned in the nightmare areas, unless you've invited another player.
Nah not invited, but I was playing online. Fecking hate going through that area again. Fecking amygdala lasers the shit out of me and those enemies keep on spawning until the bell lady is taken care of.

Ainu

Nah not invited, but I was playing online. Fecking hate going through that area again. Fecking amygdala lasers the shit out of me and those enemies keep on spawning until the bell lady is taken care of.
Ah yes now I remember those bell ringers there. Pretty annoying. You could just look up the locations online and rush them. For those Amygdala lasers just try to observe the patterns and look for the gaps.

Irwin99

The bell ringers were probably my biggest issue with the game on my first playthrough (besides the constant farming of blood vials). Really annoyed me! Now I just past that area. It's probably easier to take them out.

I just cheesed a victory against one of the final bosses as he got stuck in a loop jumping out of a mirror :lol: If I can't be good I'll be lucky :D

Irwin99

Finished the DLC which was amazing. Like Witcher 3 it has definitely added another layer to the game in my opinion and elevated it further. It's amazing how much more I enjoyed my second playthrough over my first.

Just got a few more chalice dungeons (stuck on the third layer of the cursed chalice :mad: ) a final weapon to get and one more regular playthrough to do before the platinum.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished the DLC which was amazing. Like Witcher 3 it has definitely added another layer to the game in my opinion and elevated it further. It's amazing how much more I enjoyed my second playthrough over my first.

Just got a few more chalice dungeons (stuck on the third layer of the cursed chalice :mad: ) a final weapon to get and one more regular playthrough to do before the platinum.
I admire your dedication to platinums! Games which require multiple playthroughs I can never be bothered with (unless it can be done in a few hours like RE).

Damien

Staff
I admire your dedication to platinums! Games which require multiple playthroughs I can never be bothered with (unless it can be done in a few hours like RE).
I think Bloodborne can be done in one playthrough but it is a bit finicky in that you need to track a couple of trophies that are missable. Mess up on one of them and a second playthrough is needed.

Siorac

I think Bloodborne can be done in one playthrough but it is a bit finicky in that you need to track a couple of trophies that are missable. Mess up on one of them and a second playthrough is needed.
You need to get all three different endings though so unless you use backup saves you need multiple playthroughs.

Ainu

I did two playthroughs and used save scumming in the second one to get the remaining endings for the platinum. I don't remember if you could technically do it in one with some save scumming, but it would certainly be a challenge to complete all the necessary chalice dungeons as they have a set difficulty and you're probably going to be severely underleveled at the end of a single playthrough.

Damien

Staff
You need to get all three different endings though so unless you use backup saves you need multiple playthroughs.
Oh yeah. Not got that far but doing a backup of the save seems straightforward enough - so still possible to do it in one playthrough, but like I said a bit finicky.

harshad

Scout
I did two playthroughs and used save scumming in the second one to get the remaining endings for the platinum. I don't remember if you could technically do it in one with some save scumming, but it would certainly be a challenge to complete all the necessary chalice dungeons as they have a set difficulty and you're probably going to be severely underleveled at the end of a single playthrough.
That Queen is the only boss which gives a trophy in Chalice Dungeons, yeah? I have reached Nightmare of Mensis so the two bosses here and DLC remain before the final boss. So what I mean to ask is whether there is a way to get to the Queen's dungeon faster or do I have to grind through all the dungeons?

pacifictheme

I am not sure there are any shortcuts and imo chalice dungeons are harder than the main game.

Ainu

You don't need to do all of the set dungeons I believe, but still a significant part of them. The one with half HP is the worst. The Watchdog and Amygdala fights in them were a pain.

Siorac

You don't need to do all of the set dungeons I believe, but still a significant part of them. The one with half HP is the worst. The Watchdog and Amygdala fights in them were a pain.
I'm not necessarily proud of it but I simply sniped Defiled Amygdala with Simon's Bowblade. feck fighting fair at half health in that small space.

Ainu

I'm not necessarily proud of it but I simply sniped Defiled Amygdala with Simon's Bowblade. feck fighting fair at half health in that small space.
It's a From Software game, anything goes, doesn't matter how you survive. Its jump attack is bullshit in this fight, pretty much a one hit kill with half health and it can do it whenever it pleases.

harshad

Scout
DLC weapon?

It's a From Software game, anything goes, doesn't matter how you survive. Its jump attack is bullshit in this fight, pretty much a one hit kill with half health and it can do it whenever it pleases.
I defeated Martyr Logarius on my first attempt by simply running around, trying to evade him and his attacks, and getting few hits in between with fire paper on my Hunters Axe. Used up all 20 Blood Vials in the process :lol:

narnar

Needs Help
It's been a few years but I seem to remember standing below her, and whenever the jump attack started I turned 180 degrees and charged the R2 attack on the greatsword. If you could get a hit on the head it seemed to do a good bit of damage. Cheesy but it worked.

EDIT: stood behind her, charged the R2 and locked on as she was coming down for a headshot.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Chalice dungeons were easily the most difficult aspect of the platinum for me when I got it. The defiled one drove me nuts! :lol:

I think I used saved scumming and went through the game twice. On the second playthrough though you can really blitz through the game in no time.

Ainu

It's been a few years but I seem to remember standing below her, and whenever the jump attack started I turned 180 degrees and charged the R2 attack on the greatsword. If you could get a hit on the head it seemed to do a good bit of damage. Cheesy but it worked.

EDIT: stood behind her, charged the R2 and locked on as she was coming down for a headshot.
I think standing completely still every time it jumped worked for me eventually. Still needed a bit of rng.

Irwin99

Just gotta select the option to skip the final boss and I get the third ending and then the plat. I've never got a 100% on a Dark Souls game so i'm pleased I managed to do one here.

Those chalice dungeons were hell at times.