Bloodline | Netflix original series | Spoilers inside

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I thought I'd create a thread as I know from the TV show thread a few people have watched this on Netflix and it'll be easier to discuss in a single place rather than in a megathread.

It had been suggested to me by Netflix for a while and I finally watched it over the past couple of weeks, and I loved it. The production is great (set in the Florida Keys which look lovely) and the storyline is quite compelling, but for me it's the actors' performances that elevate the show. Sam Sheperd, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, Kyle Chandler are all great, but it's Ben Mendelsohn who really steals the show as the family feck up who comes back to... well feck things up.

I thought the chemistry between Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn was absolutely spot on and loved every scene with the two of them together. They managed to create a sense of history between the two brothers and their relationship was very believable.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Netflix decided to go down the sequel route with a season 2 set up right at the end of the last episode, I thought this was typically the kind of show which would have been perfect as a standalone season. Also, I can't see it being as good without Danny's character (though I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back as a ghost or in flashbacks).

Anyway, it'll still be nice to have an additional fix of the Keys, but I can't help thinking it will be a bit of a letdown after an excellent first season.

simon_xazza

I agree with everything, loved it.

I agree it probably should have ended as a 1 season show. I think season 2 will be a prequel series as Ben Mendelsohn is back so you never know it may be OK.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I agree with everything, loved it.

I agree it probably should have ended as a 1 season show. I think season 2 will be a prequel series as Ben Mendelsohn is back so you never know it may be OK.
You think?

For me, the arrival of Danny's son at the end of the last episode and the fact they left the discussion between the mum and Potts open ended suggested it'll be a direct sequel.

simon_xazza

True.
I think there is more interesting story's to be told in Danny's past though. Whatever route they take though I think they will struggle to match the first season. I hoping I am wrong though!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Last edited:

Scrumpet

There are no words
A True Detective-esque plummet in quality certainly wouldn't surprise me but you never know. I'm expecting lots of flashbacks of Danny with the son and lots of hallucinations with John and Danny.

"Will they/won't they get caught?" definitely isn't as interesting a premise though.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's one of the best I have seen this year. One of the few series that invests a lot of time in character development.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It was excellent. Definitely my favourite show this year.

Bendelsohn has already been confirmed for Season 2.

http://www.avclub.com/article/ben-mendelsohn-will-be-back-season-two-bloodline-223043

But yeah after a slowish start it was pretty compelling. I ended up hating all his family bar him by the end (even though he did go off the rails a tad). The setting was gorgeous as well. I love films/shows that compel you to want to visit the place and this was one of them.
I felt sorry for all of them towards the end. Sympathized with both the family and Danny himself.

Tarrou

It's not that sort of show really. I thought the first 3/4 were very slow but I guess people are used to that Breaking Bad/GOT instant fix TV.
I do enjoy shows that are slow but I didn't think much of the first episode. I'll probably get around to watching a few more at some point to see if I can get into it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I do enjoy shows that are slow but I didn't think much of the first episode. I'll probably get around to watching a few more at some point to see if I can get into it.
You got to get about halfway through it before giving up.

A lot to ask, I know...

izzydiggler

Shows that benefit of having good actors. After about 5 hours, barely anything had happened but I was compelled to watch because of the performances, especially Ben Mendelsohn and Kyle Chandler.

Not sure it's for everyone though and I don't see the need for a second season.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Just finished this, I really enjoyed it. I do agree that I wouldve preferred if they just left it as one season - I don't think the second will be nearly as good.

Dan

Can't wait I loved the first season. Ben Mendelsohn was amazing in it.

ZAGREB RED

I didn't know quite what to make of it at first, but after 2 or 3 episodes I was hooked. It's a slow burner, but the intrigue keeps you watching and to find out what is actually happening in the flash-forward scenes. Some great characters, the 3 brothers in particular. I think the real hook is in the way no-one is actually who they quite appear to be, with the constant changing of friendships/relationships always keeping things interesting. That factor - the interlinking of family/professional/personal relationships - reminded me in a way of The Sopranos.
Funnily enough, I wasn't all that bothered by The Sopranos when I first started watching, but now it's one of my all-time favourites.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was pessimistic about how they'd pull off a second season, but it's been quite good so far (about halfway through).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yep. Been good so far. Lacks that chilling edge that the first season though. Hadn't realized how good and important the voiceovers from Kyle Chandler were in the first to set up the tone of the series.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Finished watching this. Not as good as the first season but really enjoyable stuff. Guaranteed to be a 3rd season after that ending.

What a completed fecked up family though!

arthurka

Started the first episode at least 5 times but haven't really got into it.. Maybe I will give it a real go..

simon_xazza

Started the first episode at least 5 times but haven't really got into it.. Maybe I will give it a real go..
I had that exact problem with the wire. Must of watch the first episode 5 times then finally got into it.

Not to say this is as good as the wire .. I didn't really get into this till episode 4 or so. It kind of us just builds up slowly from lots of angles and it is bar far my favourite current series.

Can I ask who everyone is rooting for? Interestingly my girlfriend is very much hoping the rayburns get away with it. Whereas I am totally excited at the thought of them getting caught!

arthurka

I had that exact problem with the wire. Must of watch the first episode 5 times then finally got into it.

Not to say this is as good as the wire .. I didn't really get into this till episode 4 or so. It kind of us just builds up slowly from lots of angles and it is bar far my favourite current series.

Can I ask who everyone is rooting for? Interestingly my girlfriend is very much hoping the rayburns get away with it. Whereas I am totally excited at the thought of them getting caught!
Thanks mate.. I will give it a go.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

I am rooting for the gorgeous brunette, who unexpectedly goes on drunken rants. Just my type.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
New season starting on 26th. Will be the last season unless some other network picks it up. Netflix's best show for me. Looking forward to it after last season's ending

Executive producers Todd A. Kessler, Glenn Kessler, and Daniel Zelman originally had five or six seasons of Bloodline in mind. After the renewal of season 3 came in, Netflix chose to wrap up the Rayburn’s story after these upcoming episodes, primarily because the show got too expensive to make after Florida cut its entertainment tax incentives program. The streaming service was paying up to $7 million an episode for the drama.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Really loved this show and sad they decided to cancel after season 3 after Florida cut its entertainment incentives. Show really needed to play out at the same pace as first two seasons. Really disappointed with Netflix about this. I have not been impressed with them in 2017 as all their shows seemed to have dropped in quality.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Spoilers until episode 6
What did the picture that Chelsea showed John indicate? Didn't quite understand the leap from that to assuming John is lying.

Have a feeling there's one more feck up left in Kevin Ray burn...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Finished the season. Thought the finale was fantastic after a slightly underwhelming 9th episode.

First season was still the best but overall a very good show. And 3 seasons is about right. Any more might have stretched credulity.

Hammerfell

Finished the season. Thought the finale was fantastic after a slightly underwhelming 9th episode.

First season was still the best but overall a very good show. And 3 seasons is about right. Any more might have stretched credulity.
Thought the finale was a bit of a mess to be honest, tried to cram far too many things in.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Thought the finale was a bit of a mess to be honest, tried to cram far too many things in.
Dunno. I liked it. The Sally -John confrontation was excellently done and acted and you could see the facade of this loving family breaking down and how the whole family is utterly fecked up. And I liked the final scene as well.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just discovered this, enjoyed the first season, though found it very slow for the first few episodes and then it picked up. Half way through the second season now, but just find it such uncomfortable viewing that I'm not sure I want to carry on. Will persevere but Kevin makes my toes curl he's such a big cnut.