Television Blue Planet II

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Love these documentaries but I am expecting these to be a little bit depressing this time around. And rightly so.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
As expected it surpassed expectations. Phenomenal TV.

diarm

Some of the shots they get are astounding! There was one of a wave at the beginning, then the whole scene with that clam banging fish and then the slow mo of that young bird escaping the jumping fish stand out especially.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Shame the otters weren't in it much as I like them, interesting to see the mother walrus' cuddling their infants.
As for the sex changing fish with the bulbous head, they were weird, the face off was like a who would flinch first.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Things like the crab segment we've seen before, on PE2 as i recall and Springwatch.

I liked the feature on Garibalidi the farmer though. One thing which the series has highlighted well is the extent of fish smarts in our oceans.

A pity they couldn't get some up-close underwater footage of the humpbacks; although i suppose that's one sure way to kill a rather expensive RoV. :)

I would say the the previous two episodes have been the best in the series so far: where the Coral Reefs were truly something to behold, the life in the open ocean was...powerful.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I've got a new UHD 4K Dell monitor...

With Episode 6 being the last one of the series with a dediccated habitat, what have peole thought? What were the highlights for you? What did you learn about for the first time and will stick in your memory perhaps?

Jut to look back on Sunday - you had the teamwork of the Galapagos sea lions, and the remarkable endurance of the penguins on South Georgia. The comic editing/narration during the elephant seal fight (reminiscent of the Komodo dragons in PE2) was spot on. :)

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've got a new UHD 4K Dell monitor...

With Episode 6 being the last one of the series with a dediccated habitat, what have peole thought? What were the highlights for you? What did you learn about for the first time and will stick in your memory perhaps?

Jut to look back on Sunday - you had the teamwork of the Galapagos sea lions, and the remarkable endurance of the penguins on South Georgia. The comic editing/narration during the elephant seal fight was spot on. :)
The crabs jumping along the rocks to stay out of the clutches of the moray eels was great. Perhaps a somewhat failed attempt at another 'Iguana v Snakes' moment, but it was dramatic enough and I'm a sucker for large crustaceans. They are so fascinating to watch in movement.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I thought the latest two episodes were the weakest eps by far. Still enjoyable though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Some enterprising individuals found a way to view this stateside. Anything with dolphins or orcas is amazing, per the norm.

Flying_Heckfish

Can't watch in 4k HDR yet due to this:

Please note that Samsung devices listed are awaiting an imminent firmware update to support our UHD streams and may not be updated in time for the release of Blue Planet II in UHD on Sunday 10 December.
4K is available through Sky Q but I'll wait for the HDR version.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Just watched an episode in just 1080p on our new 4k screen last night, really stunning - look forward to seeing 4K/HDR

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

For any of our American friends who were unable to source BP2 before this weekend. :) By way of a further heads-up, you can also look forward to some other great TV in the near future: so far in 2018 the BBC has begun airing a series on Yellowstone as well as Big Cats.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Watched HDR version last night, really enjoyable - will continue to be difficult to downgrade from here on out in terms of content

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Just watched this. I can't describe how fantastic it is. David Attenborough is amazing, and i can't imagine a world without him in it.

It should be mandatory to watch this show, at least to show people what an impact our everyday wasteful lifestyle has on our oceans and the planet in general.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Watching the ones I never saw. There's fecking cgi in it. The amount of deception in these programs was already pretty disappointing but cgi is next level bullshit.

This is from someone who has loved all Attenborough stuff, despite what they've already tried to hide in them. Finding it hard to enjoy when there's literally computer made scenarios going on.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Watching the ones I never saw. There's fecking cgi in it. The amount of deception in these programs was already pretty disappointing but cgi is next level bullshit.

This is from someone who has loved all Attenborough stuff, despite what they've already tried to hide in them. Finding it hard to enjoy when there's literally computer made scenarios going on.
Why do you think there's CGI in it?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why do you think there's CGI in it?
It's obvious when there is. It just looks and moves different, but it's fairly subtle. There might be loads that isn't detectable too. A quick Google suggests lots of others thought it too.
With the other stuff that's come out I wouldn't put it past them in the slightest. They excuse it by saying it's more about presenting a story than reality.

Snow

It's obvious when there is. It just looks and moves different, but it's fairly subtle. There might be loads that isn't detectable too. A quick Google suggests lots of others thought it too.
With the other stuff that's come out I wouldn't put it past them in the slightest. They excuse it by saying it's more about presenting a story than reality.
Ok so you're making it up. There's no CGI in it.

Snow

:lol: why are you getting arsey about it?
Yeah I'm making up that I could tell there was CGI and so could loads of other people.
It's you that went arsey about nothing. There's no CGI in it, it's just in your mind. Using state of the art equipment to capture video that you didn't comprehend that existent and then cleaning it up in post isn't CGI. None of the film was created using a computer, that's the whole schtick of the show.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's you that went arsey about nothing. There's no CGI in it, it's just in your mind. Using state of the art equipment to capture video that you didn't comprehend that existent and then cleaning it up in post isn't CGI. None of the film was created using a computer, that's the whole schtick of the show.
Where was I arsey? :lol: You must be drunk.

BBC have admitted to using CGI to remove things like trackers and jet streams etc, and say they use blue screen to edit backgrounds in in their docs. They've admitted to filming in zoos once they've been caught, and admitted to telling made up stories in them by editing cleverly and splicing exciting shots of completely different animals in, again only once they've been caught out. If your only reason for them not using it is that they're too good to do it, then you may be mistaken.

They do some amazing stuff and get great footage, often painstakingly, but they aren't afraid to pull the wool over your eyes to make it a big hitter, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was the case with this.

Eleven-Eighteen

That's what I said! Some of the underwater dolphin-y stuff seems very CGI. Obviously, the satellite-y stuff with a shot of the planet is. My wife thinks I'm mental for thinking that though.

Glad the debate rages on in here as well.

Eleven-Eighteen

Also, general note: beautiful TV but so damn depressing.

Don't know if there's a thread for Our Planet. But if any you guys saw that Walrus segment, you'll know that the depressive nature of these shows has only increased. Exponentially.

Heartbreaking stuff really.