Bluemoon goes into Meltdown

stevoc

No what I was saying is that from the late 1980's through to the 1990's football had a seismic shift that began to concentrate the wealth into the hands of the established elite clubs. Three key events are important here:

1) Formation of the CL
2) The formation of the PL
3) The explosion in TV rights money

Hence, what happened is that teams that were most successful during this period essentially gave themselves a massive financial injection that took them away from the rest the the clubs in their leagues and cemented the top 4 leagues superiority over the rest of Europe.

Hence, owing to the amount of power the big clubs got from this shift, it required outside money to break into it once it was done.

Another point that you seem to lose is the arguement that the Billionaire clubs/money has made things more competitive as:

1) There have been more winners of the league since they came along than before it.
2) Of the three clubs to win the league pre-Billionaire spending, Blackburn essentially had to do a 90's equivalent of it to win the league.
3) Leagues where they have not had a Billionaire investor have seen their leagues become completely dominated by one, or two (in the case of Spain) clubs as those clubs have been able to complete cement their position.

As I initially said, it is hard to complain about Billionaire owners when clubs had no real chance of competing unless they went that route (feck me even Blackburn had to do it). Now is this perfect, no? However, what other options are there? FFP was a joke, as it was simply a cartel system, and a hard salary cap is never going to be agreed (this would actually be fair.)
1, 90-00 Arsenal, Leeds, United, Blackburn.

00-10 United, Arsenal, Chelsea. Post Roman in this decade only United could compete with Chelsea.

10-20 United, City, Chelsea, Leicester and Liverpool. Bar Leicester which was a fluke and probably won't happen again only United at the start of the decade and Liverpool right at the end stopped City and Chelsea dominating.

Let's see how the next decade goes. Especially if the Saudis buy a team.

2, Blackburn spent no where near the type of money City and Chelsea do. A local businessman done good invested a 20-30 million and his hometown club were able to win the PL. That won't happen again with nation States Bank rolling teams.

3, That's largely to do with the CL. Germany has always been dominated by Bayern to some extent. Same with Barca and Real in Spain. Before Juve Inter won 5 in a row. France is being dominated because of a gulf state buy out.

Arsenal, Blackburn and Newcastle were able to compete fine without billionaire owners in the 90's before Roman came along.

Yes FFP was a joke and City and PSG treated it as such. They'd do the same with a salary cap enforced by UEFA. That's partly why 10 of the clubs wanted a super league with strict financial limits that teams had to agree to

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Well I just look at the leagues in Europe where this didn't happen and see:

Italy - Juve - 9 in a row, only broken this year
Germany - Bayern - 9 in a row and counting
Spain - Three teams have only won the league in the past 17 years and of those 17 only 2 didn't go to Real or Barca.

France is really the only exception, they did get fecked over by PSG as that league always had different winners.

For me, it is pretty obvious that the PL would've become like Italy/Germany/Spain. I mean it was close to being like that from 92. I mean, didn't the PL have the least different amount of winners of a top European league between 1992-2004?

Of course there would've been a wobble post SAF but I think it would've been that, a wobble, everything else indicates leagues become monopolized.
Don’t quite know what the discussion is here but Lyon were pretty dominant for a while before PSG. 2001-2007. That’s almost all of the naughties.

Crustanoid

There is only one solution.

Every time at football club is taken over by a plastic, billionaire, cheating, murder-driven owner, they are annexed into a new league system.

Let’s call it the Plastic League

Basically, at the moment, Chelsea, Man City and PSG would have to be moved into the Plastic League. This entails them playing an eternal round robin tournament against each other, segregated from actual football clubs.

The actual football clubs could then get on with a fair competition, where teams are successful through merit,rather than cheating and attempting to cover up gross human rights crimes.

Maybe once a team turns plastic, a new team is created in the actual football league which assumes their name and qualities.

Meanwhile, over at the Plastic League, if Chelsea, Man City and PSG get bored of their eternal round robin competition where they play each other endlessly in a plastic eternal round robin, they might want to introduce a cup competition.

The new Plastic Cup would involve Chelsea, Man City and PSG playing each other in an eternal round robin competition.

Meanwhile all the actual football clubs get to bring the integrity, authenticity and joy back to the game we all love.

Win win!

sangria

Don’t quite know what the discussion is here but Lyon were pretty dominant for a while before PSG. 2001-2007. That’s almost all of the naughties.
Entirely self-sustained though, from players signed cheaply and sold for far more. No one has a problem with that model.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

00-10 United, Arsenal, Chelsea. Post Roman in this decade only United could compete with Chelsea.

10-20 United, City, Chelsea, Leicester and Liverpool. Bar Leicester which was a fluke and probably won't happen again only United at the start of the decade and Liverpool right at the end stopped City and Chelsea dominating.

2, Blackburn spent no where near the type of money City and Chelsea do. A local businessman done good invested a 20-30 million and his hometown club were able to win the PL. That won't happen again with nation States Bank rolling teams.

3, That's largely to do with the CL. Germany has always been dominated by Bayern to some extent. Same with Barca and Real in Spain. Before Juve Inter won 5 in a row. France is being dominated because of a gulf state buy out.

Arsenal, Blackburn and Newcastle were able to compete fine without billionaire owners in the 90's before Roman came along.

Yes FFP was a joke and City and PSG treated it as such. They'd do the same with a salary cap enforced by UEFA. That's partly why 10 of the clubs wanted a super league with strict financial limits that teams had to agree to
Some decent points, but a strange point about Blackburn. Fees were so much lower then so of course they didn't spend what Chelsea and City do, but at the time they were doing the same level of outspending of rivals. I always think that 5m for Sutton is what really blew the domestic market to bits.

Plus teams didn't use as big a squad in those days so fewer players to buy.

stevoc

Some decent points, but a strange point about Blackburn. Fees were so much lower then so of course they didn't spend what Chelsea and City do, but at the time they were doing the same level of outspending of rivals. I always think that 5m for Sutton is what really blew the domestic market to bits.

Plus teams didn't use as big a squad in those days so fewer players to buy.
Even taking inflation into account mate Blackburn weren't able to spend 3-4 times what even United could afford to spend in one window let's be honest here.

The biggest outlay in a PL transfer window was I think £50m+ by United in 2001. 2 years later in 2003 Chelsea were spending £150m in a window.

Even 20 years later £150m is a fairly big outlay in one window for even big clubs. Circa the late 90's early 00's it was unprecedented. I don't think City even spent more than that in a window until after Guardiola arrived.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even taking inflation into account mate Blackburn weren't able to spend 3-4 times what even United could afford to spend in one window let's be honest here.

The biggest outlay in a PL transfer window was I think £50m+ by United in 2001. 2 years later in 2003 Chelsea were spending £150m in a window.

Even 20 years later £150m is a fairly big outlay in one window for even big clubs. Circa the late 90's early 00's it was unprecedented. I don't think City even spent more than that in a window until after Guardiola arrived.

Blackburn spent 8.5m to our 2.3m in 92-93 and then another 8.5m to our 3.75m in 93-94.

That's 17m versus 6m so pretty much 3times what we spent.

Let's not pretend Blackburn didn't very definitely buy their way to the top table.

Even the season after, they shelled 6.5m out on a couple of players while we did the Cole deal, but that kind of equalled out once you took out the Gillespie part, and selling Dublin.

stevoc

Blackburn spent 8.5m to our 2.3m in 92-93 and then another 8.5m to our 3.75m in 93-94.

That's 17m versus 6m so pretty much 3times what we spent.
Yeah and United spent £9-10m in 89/90 and Liverpool spent £8-9m in 91/92 so as I said Blackburn spent big but they weren't spending 2-3 times what United or Liverpool were able to spend in one window.

Let's not pretend Blackburn didn't very definitely buy their way to the top table.

Even the season after, they shelled 6.5m out on a couple of players while we did the Cole deal, but that kind of equalled out once you took out the Gillespie part, and selling Dublin.
And I never suggested that, I'm simply pointing out that while they did spend big they didn't spend to the level that Chelsea and later City were capable of.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I think you're not taking into consideration the kind of inflation that went on in the late 90's and early 00's which meant Chelsea had to go much higher.

Firstly, when Blackburn won the league the world record fee was £13m and when Newcastle tried, they actually broke the world record fee at £15m.

By the time Chelsea cam along the world record fee was £45.5m, so three times as much as Newcastle and Blackburn. As another poster pointed out, Blackburn also went 3x more than Utd to get close to them in 95, looking at gross figures is really a bit misleading as it doesn't consider the wider football market.

Then, as you point out, if we're looking at decades of different winners things are improving. We can try and predict all we want, but we do not actually know City will win multiple titles in a row. Hence, we have to accept things have improved in regards to competitiveness and this is not replicated in the other big 3 leagues:

Germany

1990-00 - Kaiserslautern, Bermen, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Bayern

00-10 - Dortmund, Stuttgart, Bermen, Wolfsburg, Bayern

10-20 - Dortmund, Bayern

Italy

1990-00 - Sampdoria, Milan, Juventus, Lazio

00-10 - Roma, Milan, Juventus, Inter

10-20 - Milan, Juventus

Spain

1990-00 - Barca, Real, Atleti, Deportivo

00-10 - Madrid, Barca, Valencia

10-20 - Madrid, Barca, Atleti

The PL, is the only league where the competitiveness has improved. Furthermore, in Germany and Italy not only have they gone from 4-5 teams winning in a decade but of the two they have winning in the 10-20 decade the split is 2 v 8 and 1 v 9 respectively.

stevoc

I think you're not taking into consideration the kind of inflation that went on in the late 90's and early 00's which meant Chelsea had to go much higher.

Firstly, when Blackburn won the league the world record fee was £13m and when Newcastle tried, they actually broke the world record fee at £15m.

By the time Chelsea cam along the world record fee was £45.5m, so three times as much as Newcastle and Blackburn. As another poster pointed out, Blackburn also went 3x more than Utd to get close to them in 95, looking at gross figures is really a bit misleading as it doesn't consider the wider football market.
Wel yeah exactly and Chelsea were able to spend more than 3 times that in one window, it was absolutely unprecendented. The current World record is £200m could you imagine someone buying a club next year and spending £600m in one window?

Well I couldn't but then I also never thought a team would be able spend hundreds of millions in one window back in the early 00's. As my post above yours points out Blackburn spent big they were able to match what United and Liverpool could spend in a window but they could never spend 2-3 times what the bigs clubs could manage like Chelsea did. And they certainly wouldn't have been able to spend the equivelant of 3 times the world transfer record in one window. Which was my point about Blackburn's spending never being on the same level as Chelsea or for the most part City's.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We have been building a project that isn’t about winning the next PL title, but is about dominating domestically and with that becoming a force in European football and the strongest global brand possible. It is one story if we don’t get Haaland because he stays at Dortmund another year or even if he goes to Real Madrid or Barcelona. It is entirely different if he goes to a domestic rival that literally has just beaten us in a Champions League final. What this does is threaten the project, not the next title. With Tuchel, they have an extremely talented yet ruthless manager that is a perfect match to Roman’s own ruthlessness, as well as money to back any goals. Haaland already is a “face of the Champions League” and will be possibly the superstar in football in the next decade alongside Mbappe (who will probably always have the upper hand for being in a national team that is so talented it will challenge for any World Cup and Euro titles for many cycles to come).

Him going to Chelsea is bound to make Chelsea the face of English football, and this goes beyond, I repeat, whether they win the next PL title or retain the next UCL. And whenever Pep decides to leave us, having a rival so well positioned will be even worse for us. That is why I can’t imagine that the people of our club would be so lazy to think “oh, he’s entertaining the possibility of going to another club” and give up on years of work. Unless we were pursuing Mbappe on the side, the news that Haaland could seriously be going to Chelsea HAS to mean we have to fight for this. Spare me the “this isn’t how we work” line: we work for the dominance and there hasn’t been in the last decade one single situation in which one specific signing could downgrade our status and the landscape in English football. That is why I don’t believe we would allow ourselves to miss on him for a domestic rival by being outspent, because of 1) the true cost of having that dominance threatened 2) would allow for a domino effect in the medium and long term. It is one thing to “settle for Kane” in a scenario in which Haaland isn’t available, it’s entirely different if he is.

And were Haaland to go to Chelsea, we may well be left with signing Kane as a desperate move and attempt at some relevance, but it would be realistically as significant as signing André Silva instead. It makes me cringe with second hand embarrassment to read people keep referring to Kane as the “English captain” as if that carries any weight globally (it’s even more irrelevant than the English national team itself, with all due respect, my British friends!). Of course, if people want to tell themselves that Kane would score more league goals overall for us than Haaland would for Chelsea in his first year (which would be a similar scenario that happened in the Bundesliga and didn’t stop him from being the star there), or stuff like “Tuchel will be fired three months into next season” or insisting that he plays a “defensive style” or whatever, frankly, hilarious bullshit that Pep better than anyone knows all too well isn’t going to be the case, they can tell themselves that if it’s comforting at all, go ahead by all means. Even add in the “but Raiola” cliches, if needed. And as fans, maybe all we should care about is next year’s titles.

But I can’t pretend the horizon wouldn’t look bright with Haaland at Chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
From their matchday thread.

One thing that's clear from all this so far is that Phil is simply on a different wavelength to his teammates

Must be getting frustrating for him
Crazy how Mount and Foden get compared, on 2 different planets
Foden bewildered playing with these bunch of clowns.
Feel so sorry for Foden. Doing all he can but he can't do it all on his own.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wayne Rooney kind of said something similar but not as condescending as they make it out to be.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
From their matchday thread.
Honestly, their arrogance and self centered views on everything City is embarrassing. If England beat the Czechs 4-0, Kane scores a hat trick and Foden a tap in, they'd claim Foden won the game for them.

the blinkered bias is incredible

Raredaredevil

They are pissed off because of Pogba's celebration goal. Such a weird bunch. He scored his first goal for France in 3 years so it's understandable his celebration might be over the top.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
On Sancho

fecking ****. Rag wankers. Far too good for them, fecking hate them signing him.

I hope the shithead Judas prick fecking flops and ends up in the Dutch league or similar.
He is exactly what they don't need, the need top class central midfielders, won't improve them much just give them greater depth in areas they don't need.
Seen his type before, full of promise but in my opinion, is an over rated show pony. Will look fantastic in some games but overall, will lack the consistency.
I'm glad they've signed him...we get a nice chunk of cash and they spend another fortune on someone who won't improve them that much.
It’s sadly a great signing for them, whilst their wide players are pacey they were largely inconsistent. Sancho sadly has unreal stats that would suggest he will be a huge goal contributor for them. As many have said fingers crossed he goes the same way as many good players that have gone their recently, esp with Ole managing you.
Chill out. Hes a great signing no doubt. But with ole at the wheel they are doing jack shit.
and ill put my money where my mouth is that the shite wont finish above us … again
Guess they don't rate Foden.
If Sancho was that good he would of played and started in England’s crunch games in the tournament, he didn’t he played against an absolutely awful Ukraine team where Rick Holden would of had success against.

JustAGuest

On recent reports of their financial cheating
You know what this means don't you?

We're buying big and these cnuts have got wind of it and hence out come the shite about FFP.

Surely this isn't to deflect the rags getting battered 4-2 by QPR reserves?
Smear attacks like this won’t ever stop. Nick Harris has got a hard on at the minute, I can’t for us to be cleared again and that **** crawls back under his rock.
The Daily United hatchet job. The rag and it’s journalists have been building up to this.

The Daily United had the only reporter in court.

Are City finally going to ban this Rag fanzine piece of sh*t from the Etihad once and for all?

You absolute c*nts!
Think we've all had enough of this, where is the consistency?
Why are City the only team being investigated?
Do we need to hire our own hackers to expose the Liverpool and United cheating
Regardless of what we know, Harris and the Daily United are continuing to play into sheep narrative about our owner and City.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc fans will love this. Read the comments to come.

Hatchet job done by Harris and the Daily United.

It’s time to sacrifice Samuel, for all his good, and ban the Daily United from the Etihad.
Time to ban the fail. The racial undertones are clear with every attack. Using a criminal hacker to support mismatched emails is fantastically delusional.
The cheating narrative will always stain our wonderful club thanks to trial by media whores. They have come at us again and again to tarnish and destroy the reputations of the Abu Dhabi Group and any decent City fan.

Deplorable behaviour by the MSM for financial gain.

The only cheat is this 2 bit hustler and his gargoyle pack…feck off.

AaronRedDevil

My god they are insanely delusional. Yes this is happening because of united losing to QPR in an irrelevant pre season friendly:annoyed:.

Giggsyking

If their is a complete idiotic fanbase, it is city fanbase. I never met anyone of them that is a bit rational.

stevoc

Think we've all had enough of this, where is the consistency?
Why are City the only team being investigated?
:lol:

Yeah that's a real head scratcher that one.

Giggsyking

We should go balls deep for Messi & Kane imo. UEFA/G14 have targeted us mercilessly since 2008. They've accused us of financially doping football & the rest, so feck the lot of them.

Messi, Grealish, Kane & a top class left back would make this a decent transfer window, & show the European elite that we don't give a feck what they think about us. We've nothing to lose, & everything to gain IMO....
:lol: