Music Bob Dylan

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Bobski

Oh Mercy is great as well, and it had little right to be given how badly he was struggling at the time with his writing muse.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
If I have and really like the following albums...

...what one(s) should I listen to next?
If you're really into these albums you could start listening to his records chronologically. I had a blast doing it.

If that's too much: Nashville Skyline was already mentioned, a great (and surprising) one.
Love & Theft from 2001, as an example of the later Dylan.
Or the "Royal Albert Hall" concert (actually recorded in Manchester), as a summary of the three 60s electric albums in your list and that quite legendary 1966 tour.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I have and really like the following albums...

...what one(s) should I listen to next?
If it was me I'd probably give The Times They Are A-Changin, Another Side of Bob Dylan and John Wesley Harding a listen next. JWH is great and the other two (while not up with his very best) round off that great run of albums from '63-'67. After that he changes things up a bit and moves into a different phase.

Or just listen to JWH. And Desire. And Oh Mercy. And Time Out of Mind. So much good stuff. :drool:

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
The Basement Tapes - Haven't listened to it all yet, but from the third or so I have, it's good.
Nashville Skyline - Alright, but a little too country for me. Maybe it'll grow on me more with another listen.
The Times They Are A-Changin' - Liked it.
John Wesley Harding - Good.

My top three overall so far would be

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited
Blood On The Tracks

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Times They Are A-Changin' used to be my favourite but I find it's heavy handedness really off putting these days. Boots of Spanish Leather is still possibly my favourite Dylan song though. I actually reckon Boootleg 1-3 is as good a collection of songs as any of the albums. I'd take the likes of Rambling Gambling Willie, Moonshiner, Bear Mountain Picnic, Davey Moore, House Carpenter over some of his more celebrated music.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Times They Are A-Changin' used to be my favourite but I find it's heavy handedness really off putting these days. Boots of Spanish Leather is still possibly my favourite Dylan song though. I actually reckon Boootleg 1-3 is as good a collection of songs as any of the albums. I'd take the likes of Rambling Gambling Willie, Moonshiner, Bear Mountain Picnic, Davey Moore, House Carpenter over some of his more celebrated music.
Agreed, it's probably my most listened to Dylan album.

Ivor Ballokov

@Olly Tempest is good, released in 2012 so it's after his voice has completely gone but still worth a listen.

Also Christmas in the Heart, it's suprisingly awesome in parts.

markelphick

It really depends what sort of music you're into, Bob's covered a lot of different genres and styles, you've even got Gospel-Rock (Slow Train, Saved, Shot of Love) Country (John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, New Morning) I personally love 70's to early 80's Bob.

Blood On The Tracks is a masterpiece, but I also love Street-Legal and Planet Waves for their unique style.. Definitely worth a listen to see what you're into.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
@Olly Tempest is good, released in 2012 so it's after his voice has completely gone but still worth a listen.

:drool: I've had it on every Christmas since it came out.

I agree on Tempest too. There's no point pretending his voice is technically any good these days but you factor that decline in when listening to his modern stuff. As pretentious as it sounds for me every listen is a celebration that he's still going; producing new music, doing covers and still fecking touring.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Agreed, it's probably my most listened to Dylan album.
Ah interesting. I find it the perfect mix of the sincere, the romantic and the playful.

My dad is a huge Dylan nut and even has a signed print of one of his mushy paintings, the wierdo. I'm more of a casual fan but when a song like Moonshiner starts up I feel like I get it.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Ah interesting. I find it the perfect mix of the sincere, the romantic and the playful.

My dad is a huge Dylan nut and even has a signed print of one of his mushy paintings, the wierdo. I'm more of a casual fan but when a song like Moonshiner starts up I feel like I get it.
Indeed.

The fact I've listened to it so much is mostly due to the more melancholic versions of the Blood on the Tracks songs. Idiot Wind and Tangled up in Blue doesn't make any sense for me as upbeat songs, that's why I rarely ever listen to the album versions.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

Cool thanks, will do!

I'll check then out :)

@Olly
You're being swarmed by Dylan admirers now :lol:
:lol: Yep. I like it though, plenty of suggestions to get through!

Loublaze

ATLien
I listened to more of my fair share of Dylan growing up. He's my dad's favorite artist. @Olly my personal favorites of his are Desire and New morning. I see you already have Desire on your playlist (Sara is a standout track for me, and the Hurricane). New Morning is a great album 'went to see the gypsy' and 'Winterlude' are my fav tracks.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hurricane is probably Dylan's most overrated song but the rest of Desire is fab. Sara especially.