Music Bob Dylan

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Very good tune. My favorite rotates between “Lay, Lady, Lay”, “Tangled up in Blue”, and “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright”
Don't Thing Twice, It's Alright is one hell of a tune. It's a favourite for any drunk who spots that there's a guitar in the room.

Bobski

I think his singing voice, at least in earlier years, was not as appreciated as it could have been. The genius of his song writing was the focus but I adore his voice, so distinctive and real. Master of subtle changes and wry/cutting humour and it feels as if he singing directly to you in a way that more traditionally celebrated singers can not match, and in doing so it moves you emotionally.

Listen to a song like Abandoned Love, almost a throw-away, he has one incredible live version, can be found on Youtube, and a much more mediocre studio version, only turned up on a compilation album, would be others artists greatest work, for him it is barely known.

Bobski

I think his singing voice, at least in earlier years, was not as appreciated as it could have been. The genius of his song writing was the focus but I adore his voice, so distinctive and real. Master of subtle changes and wry/cutting humour and it feels as if he singing directly to you in a way that more traditionally celebrated singers can not match, and in doing so it moves you emotionally.

Listen to a song like Abandoned Love, almost a throw-away, he has one incredible live version, can be found on Youtube, and a much more mediocre studio version, only turned up on a compilation album, would be others artists greatest work, for him it is barely known.
See also "Up to Me" which should have been on Blood on the Tracks.

Bobski

This thread pushed me into a Dylan listening extravaganza. I don't have the the words to sum up his brilliance, there is no-one, ever, on his level as a songwriter. Certainly no-one in contemporary music.

Gone though all his eras, gems throughout, as well as untold marvels on bootlegs. Not possible to choose a favourite, or a top 10, 25, 50, but for the moment I am stuck on this one.

His virtuosity is sublimely illustrated in this one, one of the greatest songs ever written, but you could say that about 50 Dylan songs.

Revaulx

When I started to get into pop/rock in 1972-73, Dylan was virtually retired and his best work was regarded as long behind him. I was aware of his classic 60s stuff but didn’t consider myself a fan.

It was Desire that really captivated me, and I still think it’s one of his best albums from a purely musical point of view. Joey is dull, and its words are highly dodgy (gangster glorification), but the album is great otherwise: from the jolly folk pop of Mozambique to the sensual Middle Eastern sounding One More Cup Of Coffee.

From there I worked backwards through Blood On The Tracks to the 60s stuff. I’ve never thought Blonde On Blonde to be quite the masterpiece people reckon it to be; the two albums before it are better IMO. Highway 61 Revisited isn’t the easiest listen; it’s pretty crude really, but I absolutely love its combination of obscure intellectualism and brash excitement.

There was an almost three year wait after Desire for the next album. I hated it, and haven’t been able to face any “new” Dylan ever since.

Bobski

When I started to get into pop/rock in 1972-73, Dylan was virtually retired and his best work was regarded as long behind him. I was aware of his classic 60s stuff but didn’t consider myself a fan.

It was Desire that really captivated me, and I still think it’s one of his best albums from a purely musical point of view. Joey is dull, and its words are highly dodgy (gangster glorification), but the album is great otherwise: from the jolly folk pop of Mozambique to the sensual Middle Eastern sounding One More Cup Of Coffee.

From there I worked backwards through Blood On The Tracks to the 60s stuff. I’ve never thought Blonde On Blonde to be quite the masterpiece people reckon it to be; the two albums before it are better IMO. Highway 61 Revisited isn’t the easiest listen; it’s pretty crude really, but I absolutely love its combination of obscure intellectualism and brash excitement.

There was an almost three year wait after Desire for the next album. I hated it, and haven’t been able to face any “new” Dylan ever since.
Scarlet Rivera elevates Desire. She was the violin player who apparently Dylan heard busking in a subway and asked to come tour with him.

Was it Street Legal that turned you off? His voice had changed since Desire but some of the songs on that album are very good imo. His Gospel years are considered a failure by critics but there are some great songs on Slow Train, Shot of Love and especially Infidels. Oh Mercy is a classic, Times out of Mind a notch below that but still excellent, and then you have all the bootlegs, official and not so much to visit which are troves for fans with some amazing stuff he bizarrely left off albums.

Revaulx

Scarlet Rivera elevates Desire. She was the violin player who apparently Dylan heard busking in a subway and asked to come tour with him.
Her playing isn’t that brilliant; it’s painfully out of tune in places. She inspired him to write some fantastic tunes though, and the warm and rich arrangements are gorgeous.

Was it Street Legal that turned you off? His voice had changed since Desire but some of the songs on that album are very good imo. His Gospel years are considered a failure by critics but there are some great songs on Slow Train, Shot of Love and especially Infidels. Oh Mercy is a classic, Times out of Mind a notch below that but still excellent, and then you have all the bootlegs, official and not so much to visit which are troves for fans with some amazing stuff he bizarrely left off albums.
It was. It’s probably more the sound (hate the backing singers! and the dull brass) than the songs that turned me off. As a sceptical High Churchman, anything that smacks of Evangelical is a total no no. I have heard Oh Mercy, and thought it pretty dull. I’ve read good things about Time Out Of Mind and should give it a go.

I’ve got Bootleg Series 4 (Free TradeHall; Judas) and 5 (Rolling Thunder). The former is a curio more than anything, the latter is absolutely brilliant and pisses on the official release at the time (Hard Rain).

Bobski

Her playing isn’t that brilliant; it’s painfully out of tune in places. She inspired him to write some fantastic tunes though, and the warm and rich arrangements are gorgeous.

It was. It’s probably more the sound (hate the backing singers! and the dull brass) than the songs that turned me off. As a sceptical High Churchman, anything that smacks of Evangelical is a total no no. I have heard Oh Mercy, and thought it pretty dull. I’ve read good things about Time Out Of Mind and should give it a go.

I’ve got Bootleg Series 4 (Free TradeHall; Judas) and 5 (Rolling Thunder). The former is a curio more than anything, the latter is absolutely brilliant and pisses on the official release at the time (Hard Rain).
Always loved "One more Cup of Coffee", with how his voice spirals in on the back of the violin and how they drive each other through the rest of the song. She may not have been a technically perfect violinist, and he was not a classically accepted singer, but their paired imperfections create something beautiful and resonant.

I stayed away from his Gospel/Spiritual years for a long time, personally I am not religious in the slightest, but even though there is some proselytizing there is plenty of the Dylan magic to make it easier to put up with.

Revaulx

Always loved "One more Cup of Coffee", with how his voice spirals in on the back of the violin and how they drive each other through the rest of the song. She may not have been a technically perfect violinist, and he was not a classically accepted singer, but their paired imperfections create something beautiful and resonant.
Spot on.

I stayed away from his Gospel/Spiritual years for a long time, personally I am not religious in the slightest, but even though there is some proselytizing there is plenty of the Dylan magic to make it easier to put up with.
Will investigate. I believe Saved is the only one that needs to be totally steered clear of.

In the meantime I’m about to dig the Rolling Thunder bootleg out. Certainly my favourite live Dylan album. Mick Ronson was an inspired musical partner.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Anyone listened to "Rough and Rowdy Ways"? Absolutely loved it on my first listen, and as usual with Dylan, it'll likely only get better with each re-listen. Amazing to come out with such a robust album at 78.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've had a few listens through now and I really enjoy it. I think the natural weakening of his voice with age has meant many of his later songs are almost spoken word pieces, but there's some nice bits of wordplay and tenderness on this album. I've Made Up My Mind to Give Myself To You reminds me of Soon After Midnight from the previous album and I like the silliness of My Own Version of You. I don't think his latest stuff is up there with his very best but I'm always glad to hear more, it's an achievement in itself to be producing music worth hearing all these years later.

Denis' cuff

Street Legal album (1977?) on a par with almost any previous stuff, apart from Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks.

John Wesley Harding always a favourite of mine, although probably not regarded as a top rater.

You don’t listen to Dylan for his pretty voice.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've had a few listens through now and I really enjoy it. I think the natural weakening of his voice with age has meant many of his later songs are almost spoken word pieces, but there's some nice bits of wordplay and tenderness on this album. I've Made Up My Mind to Give Myself To You reminds me of Soon After Midnight from the previous album and I like the silliness of My Own Version of You. I don't think his latest stuff is up there with his very best but I'm always glad to hear more, it's an achievement in itself to be producing music worth hearing all these years later.
I really enjoyed it, especially the more uptempo tracks, so False Prophet and My Own Version of You. I'm not as immediately drawn to the slower tracks but I think they'll prove to be growers.

In all honesty though, it's just great to have a new Dylan album and him alluding to the explosion of brightness and joy that can, and has, come after a period of mass introspection on Murder Most Foul is exactly the kind of message I'm happy to hear right now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Disagree with a lot of those rankings but still, any article talking about all 39 Dylan albums is fine by me.

Reiver

Disagree with a lot of those rankings but still, any article talking about all 39 Dylan albums is fine by me.
Anything you particularly disagree with?

It's a hard task ranking all 39 albums, I think the top 10 is a good call, although not necessarily in the right order. Personally, nothing beats Blood On The Tracks and I would have had Another Side Of Bob Dylan much higher. Hard to rank Rough and Rowdy Ways, maybe, as it's the newest. Obviously not ranked here, but I enjoy most of the Bootleg Series.