Bobby Madley quits as referee | and now he's back

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I had a chuckle.

But surely, couldn't have been fired for that? But then again, those are English refs...
Who knows. We're getting one side of story from the blog post but it mentions something about Mark Halsey not liking him and claiming he was too fat so it's fair to say he might not have been liked by a lot of other/senior refs. I've seen people at work get the same rough treatment by managerial staff just because they're not liked personally.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The Sun...
This, fascinating to see first hand just how much those scumbags can invent.

These rags have destroyed the country by failing to report news objectively and correctly, and the country is now paying for this in my opinion.

Schneiderman

What a cnut the guy who sent the video in is. Seems very harsh based on his side of the story, his argument about politicians rings true.

Brophs

The One and Only
“I managed dozens of Premier League games. But do they call me Premier League Superstar, Bobby Madley? Do they heckers like. And I was one of the best referees in the world, on the FIFA international list, but did they call me Worldwide Uber-ref, Bobby Madley? No! But you bum one dog...”

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
“I managed dozens of Premier League games. But do they call me Premier League Superstar, Bobby Madley? Do they heckers like. And I was one of the best referees in the world, on the FIFA international list, but did they call me Worldwide Uber-ref, Bobby Madley? No! But you bum one dog...”
Your post did make me chuckle but I think being a little proud is fine.

Snafu17

Singling him out as fat is a bit much considering Phil Dowd seemingly refereed every big game available at the beginning of the decade.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
World has gone mad, getting fired for a stupid joke that in closed group chat or whatever. fecking hell.

TheReligion

Abusive
There's a thread on this we have been discussing in the general. It's almost certainly his ex partner who sent the video to the FA when their marriage broke down.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
That's fecking crazy, another example why you can't fully trust people that are supposedly close to you. The person who ruined Madley's career must be one of the biggest cnuts out there, what a pathetic sad guy, pretending to be a mate of his.
What a cnut the guy who sent the video in is. Seems very harsh based on his side of the story, his argument about politicians rings true.
Why are yous assuming it’s a guy? Sounds like the ex partner

POF

There's a thread on this we have been discussing in the general. It's almost certainly his ex partner who sent the video to the FA when their marriage broke down.
Definitely reads that way, or possibly a mutual friend who was close to both.

That is just really sad. I feel for the guy.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just shows you have to be very careful in todays world. Everyone is a journalist.

neilv93

Some mate of his! A lot of respect for this post from Madley and good luck to him with his continued life in the beautiful Norway... better to stay away from our rotten English media.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Zero sympathies from me. He deserved every bit of the consequences.

RUCK4444

Zero sympathies from me. He deserved every bit of the consequences.
Wow you would not last 1 day in the transport office I work in.

This joke from Madley would quite literally be one of the tamest jokes said on an average day. Genuine.

I’m not saying I agree with jokes like this but everything has to be taken in the context it was said and to whom.

Tarrou

I’m sure I’ve made equal or worse jokes to my Mrs over the years

What makes the punishment so widely out of kilt is he’s a public figure. Sure i can see why they sacked him (though I wouldn’t have) but to have the internet calling you a dog fecker and the tabloids making up all sorts too is horrendous.

billdrama

One interesting dynamic about this is that Bobby's brother Andy is also a referee - he was promoted to the Premier League list for the start of this season and is joining the FIFA list of referees from tomorrow. It must be an odd experience, seeing your brother do well in his own career but reaching the level that was suddenly taken away from you. Quite bittersweet I guess.

I think it's difficult to fully comment on the situation as we only have one side of the story and don't know the full context but it's obviously been a difficult time for Bobby Madley so I do sympathise with him for that and hope he can achieve some career success in Norway.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No, he recorded an actual person (with disability) on the road and then sent it to someone as a joke.
And, if the vindictive cnut he sent it to kept it to themselves, as intended, who exactly was hurt?

Oldyella

I’m sure I’ve made equal or worse jokes to my Mrs over the years

What makes the punishment so widely out of kilt is he’s a public figure. Sure i can see why they sacked him (though I wouldn’t have) but to have the internet calling you a dog fecker and the tabloids making up all sorts too is horrendous.
Probably best not to make those jokes via video and then dump her for a hot Norwegian upgrade though..

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Wow you would not last 1 day in the transport office I work in.

This joke from Madley would quite literally be one of the tamest jokes said on an average day. Genuine.

I’m not saying I agree with jokes like this but everything has to be taken in the context it was said and to whom.
I believe there's a huge difference between "saying" a joke and recording an actual person as the subject of the joke. Unless you guys record commuters, I doubt it's the same.

There has been this culture of 'snapping' people with disabilities (kids with autism bullied this way in schools, actual adults doing this on the street etc). But anyway, I think my earlier message was somewhat over the top; he seems to have suffered a lot by the sound of it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Madley’s joke wasn’t at the expense of himself, it was at the expense of the disabled person he filmed in order to make the joke.

I’m down with the recipient exposing the horrible attitudes of a friend/colleague in private. Making the joke in private doesn’t make you any less of a cnut.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The thread title is just weird. Is it important to highlight that a man's marriage broke down? It's a football forum FFS.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It doesn't actually say the person he was joking about was permanently disabled did it? Just that they had a walking problem.

So say someone injured themselves, was temporarily on crutches? That's a lot less offensive than say a handicapped kid who can't ever walk, for instance.

Either way, he must have had one hell of a falling out with his mate, for him to basically go out of his way to get him sacked!
Must be more to that as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why are yous assuming it’s a guy? Sounds like the ex partner
It does read like a mate, rather than his ex partner in fairness.
But i suppose that would make more sense to explain the bitterness!

C'est Moi Cantona

I just don't get why he didn't come out and say this at the time, most sane minded people wouldn't have hung him out to dry for this, he might have even kept his job.

I don't care at all about his private life, but if it was me I'd want to set the story straight alot earlier than he did.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Reading that story made me angry. Poor guy.

Oh and on a side note, I absolutely despise tabloids. Hope all this comes back to hunt these 'journalists' one day.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You're probably right actually, the "reasonable terms" bit. In that case it's a pretty reckless thing for him to do.
Pretty sure it was his ex wife. He wrote that the person knew the context of the joke, so he or she was most likely around when the other parents at school made their jokes about him. And the person sent the video in because of a fight which to me sounded as it was something custody related.