Film James Bond: No Time to Die

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
In a perfect world, we'd get a black actor to play Bond but do it with whiteface.
That's a few stages ahead;

Stage One - Movies are written predominantly by white straight males with white straight characters. Everyone else is marginalized and used as furniture

Stage Two - Society becomes woke, goes in the completely other direction. Some people get annoyed because they don't like change and are kindly informed to feck off

Stage Three - Companies see lots of dollar symbols. Wokeness becomes a product that they can sell. Things get a little embarrassing if you look at it deep enough.

Stage Four - We come out of the novelty era, things gradually reach a common ground where all people are acknowledged in film and are given fair representation.

Stage Five - People laugh at how shit it was in Stage One.

Stage Six - People laugh at how shit it was in Stage Three.

Stage Seven - Golden Era of Cinema. Black Bond in whiteface doing incredibly racist performances of Song 2 by Blur.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
That's a few stages;

Stage One - Movies are written predominantly by white straight makes with white straight characters. Everyone else is marginalized and used as furniture

Stage Two - Society becomes woke, goes in the completely other direction. Some people get annoyed because they don't like change and are kindly informed to feck off

Stage Three - Companies see lots of dollar symbols. Wokeness becomes a product that they can sell. Things get a little embarrassing if you look at it deep enough.

Stage Four - We come out of the novelty era, things gradually reach a common ground where all people are acknowledged in film and are given fair representation.

Stage Seven - Golden Era of Cinema. Black Bond in whiteface doing incredibly racist performances of Song 2 by Blur.
:lol: that's great

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That's a few stages ahead;

Stage One - Movies are written predominantly by white straight males with white straight characters. Everyone else is marginalized and used as furniture

:lol:

evil_geko

So Bond is also going the cringe woke way, can't wait for them to bomb at the box office.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
:lol: "Quinton of Fortune"

Alan Partidge had it right. We need a Northern Bond. Don't care what colour, creed or gender they are. I just want "A View T'Kill" and "Eeeeeeeeeeee Octopussy" green lit.

Smores

So Bond is also going the cringe woke way, can't wait for them to bomb at the box office.
I mean it's a worthwhile decision just to annoy people like you.

Cringe woke just because a female character has taken a code name :lol:

evil_geko

I am not annoyed, haven't been watching Bond movies for awhile now, I will be glad to see this movie crash and burn as Hollywood hasn't learned their lesson about shoving cringy diversity only for the sake of it before actual good storytelling in movies.

I will just lay back and watch every cringe attempt like this fail spectacularly. Because there was literally no attempt like this that turned out good.

Instead of turning every long lasting franchise upside down for the sake of diversity and PC, what about making actual new characters and ideas? Too much to ask I know.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I am not annoyed, haven't been watching Bond movies for awhile now, I will be glad to see this movie crash and burn as Hollywood hasn't learned their lesson about shoving cringy diversity only for the sake of it before actual good storytelling in movies.

I will just lay back and watch every cringe attempt like this fail spectacularly. Because there was literally no attempt like this that turned out good.

Instead of turning every long lasting franchise upside down for the sake of diversity and PC, what about making actual new characters and ideas? Too much to ask I know.
No-one will watch anything new or interesting, so they need to piggy back on the intellectual property of something people already know. That said, I agree with you. In an ideal world, James Bond would stay as he is and people can watch that, and they’d make a new franchise with whoever they want and people can watch that too. I guess the issue is, they wouldn’t.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don’t think it can be denied that it was rather heavy handed and lacked any sort of subtlety or nuance though.
Yeah but it's not like the Avenger films are really in the Wong Kar Wai level of filmmaking generally speaking anyway so it worked fine for what it was.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

So everyone who disagrees is a racist and/or a misogynist, is that what you want to say?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seems a bit silly to recast Bond as woman. Not because women can't be secret agents, but mostly because James Bond is a dude. At least make Bond have a daughter then kill him off and transition like that. Or just think of a new female character with a different name.

What's next, turning Seabert in to a duck billed platypus? He's a fecking seal deal with it.

Florida Man

I agree with this, except that I don't want to see the Bond films crash and burn. The sad part is that there are so many potentially great ways to embrace diversity in the Bond films without having to change up lead characters just for the sake of making a point.

Ramos

Wait, didn't people say that about Captain Marvel though? That movie was going to flop because the main actress had some outspoken views on feminism and inclusion and people were going to boycott it. Couldn't go on YT without seeing dudes complaining about it. Made a shit ton of money at the box office nonetheless. A complete succes.

No-one will watch anything new or interesting, so they need to piggy back on the intellectual property of something people already know. That said, I agree with you. In an ideal world, James Bond would stay as he is and people can watch that, and they’d make a new franchise with whoever they want and people can watch that too. I guess the issue is, they wouldn’t.
This, of course. All the stories and characters that make money are mostly white because of the times when they were created. Audience is much more diverse now, the most popular stories aren't. So you change/adapt the stories a bit. Not a big deal.

And yes, ideally you make new stories. But that's a lot more difficult compared to those franchises that just have to slap their brand name on it. Jordan Peele is doing that for example.

Florida Man

Wait, didn't people say that about Captain Marvel though? That movie was going to flop because the main actress had some outspoken views on feminism and inclusion and people were going to boycott it. Couldn't go on YT without seeing dudes complaining about it. Made a shit ton of money at the box office nonetheless. A complete succes.
Captain Marvel was a white woman in the comics and played by a white woman in the movie so it's not a good example to compare to.

evil_geko

They promoted CM as a "must see" movie before watching Avengers Endgame that connects things etc, which turned out to be bullshit, tons of people admitted they went to watch CM only because of that. It profited a lot on Endgame hype.

Lying to trick people into watching your movie, brilliant stuff. Watch numbers for second CM movie.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This debate is so annoying to navigate.

What is the correct way of conveying that I prefer Bond to be a British dude without sounding like the social equivalent of Hitler? Is there one?

evil_geko

What is the correct way of conveying that I prefer Bond to be a British dude without sounding like the social equivalent of Hitler? Is there one?
With how the world is at the moment, there is none, you will be labeled as a Misogynist racist and all your points will be countered with that logic, this planet needs a reset.

Florida Man

You have to be brown-skinned and have several different ethnicities like me so when some pasty white person tries to call you out in regards to diversity, you can laugh at them.

Florida Man

They promoted CM as a "must see" movie before watching Avengers Endgame that connects things etc, which turned out to be bullshit, tons of people admitted they went to watch CM only because of that. It profited a lot on Endgame hype.

Lying to trick people into watching your movie, brilliant stuff. Watch numbers for second CM movie.
Did you not stay until after the credits?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You have to be brown-skinned and have several different ethnicities like me so when some pasty white person tries to call you out in regards to diversity, you can laugh at them.
I think one of my great grand parents is from Friesland which, granted, is technically a Dutch province, but they don't identify as one. Other than that, I'm as pasty, white and privileged as they come.

My life is so hard. :(

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would be okay with Brie Larsson being cast as the new Bond by the way. The Reddit meltdown would be amazing.

Florida Man

I think one of my great grand parents is from Friesland which, granted, is technically a Dutch province, but they don't identify as one. Other than that, I'm as pasty, white and privileged as they come.

My life is so hard. :(
Friesland?

R'hllor

Not sure i understand, why people talk about female James Bond?

R'hllor

Because that Fleabag lady is writing it and she's gonna feck shit up by casting females in all your heroes roles and then Chris Hemsworth as the totty.
All our heroes roles, woot, you baiting or what. So they wanna female Bond, gotcha.

InfiniteBoredom

You lot arguing about Bond do realize that much of his backstory as we know it today was only written in by Fleming after he saw Connery in Dr.No right?

That’s the beauty of fiction, you can tinker with it however much you want. The blond Daniel Craig Bond actually is closer to the original character written than Dalton or Brosnan, or even Connery (excluding the hair color, that is).

Florida Man

You lot arguing about Bond do realize that much of his backstory as we know it today was only written in by Fleming after he saw Connery in Dr.No right?

That’s the beauty of fiction, you can tinker with it however much you want. The blond Daniel Craig Bond actually is closer to the original character written than Dalton or Brosnan, or even Connery (excluding the hair color, that is).
I think reasonable people understand that the Bond series are fiction but don't need a complete shakeup of characters identities to see that point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So it's a "James Bond" film, but really a film about a new MI6 agent who is given 007 status?
No. It's a James Bond film that's still about James Bond. It's just that his codename has been reassigned to somone else as he is retired at the beginning of the film, so he isn't "007" anymore. Nothing else has changed.

Though I like that the headlines have been phrased in such as way as to generate maximum ire (e.g. "New 007 is cast: a black woman").

Florida Man

I'd honestly be interested to see some far out version that includes many different 00#'s consisting of badass actors of the modern day. Could have Daniel Craig, Jason Statham, Idris Elba, Liam Neeson, and Brad Pitt as Felix.