Boring, boring Man United

MinGin

The guy said nicer football. E.g nicer to watch, all those teams play "nicer" football than us. I'm not arguing if it's more effective or not and you can't tell unless they have the same quality in their squads that we do. One of our players costs more than both teams put together of course we should beat them.
You can have a money to buy quality but Money cannot buy the stamina, until you have a big money to own two decent team to rotate at the time. One game per week and two game per week is a different consideration for how you set up the game play. You can tell player run around in a game, but can you tell them run around two game a week, and continues to run two games a week in whole season?

Last edited:

iHicksy

You can have a money to buy quality but Money cannot buy the stamina, until you have a big money to own two decent team to rotate at the time. One game per week and two game per week is a different consideration for how you set up the game play. You can tell player run around in a game, but can you tell them run around two game a week, and continues to run two games a week in whole season?
I'm not sure why this is hard to grasp. The guy said there's no other team in the prem that players nicer football than us apart from city. This isn't true. We don't play "attractive" football when compared to the teams I listed. Stamina, winning and anything else you want to bring into the discussion aren't relevant because we simply don't play more attractive football then every other team bar one. I'll bite anyway. I find it funny you saying money can't buy stamina, of course it can it buys the squad big enough to allow for that kind of play. You do realise Man city have won the league at a canter, and are in all comps and play an intense pressing game?

MattyLT

Is football in general duller at the moment because of a lack of fans? All too often I find myself drifting in and out of games and I wondered if anyone could explain why that might be happening.
Yup, this is it for me. The 3 main reasons I'm bored with football at the moment:

1) No fans in the stadium.

2) VAR.

3) Clubs' budgets too closely mirrors points on the table.

= boring.

alexthelion

Since Jun 2020 the game resumption, we played 63 matches so far. Are the stamina of players in our thin squad really enough to play a attractive, entertaining and winning football in 295 days (around 4 days per match) and the counted matches are not including the nation matches.

We have 10 players played 35+ matches this season so far
(our Captain is played over 4000+ minutes and other 3 players are played over 3400 mins)
ManCity - 9 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3432 mins)
Liverpool - 6 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3509 mins)
Leicester - 3 players over 35+ matches (highest play - 3537 mins)
Chelsea - 4 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3121 mins)

Fatigue is the one of the factor to be considered. Moving and off the ball, passing accurate, pace, acceleration, dribble are also affected by fatigue. So will it cost us not to move that forward ?

Also, if we play one game within one week or two week, I do not think Ole will set a boring tactics, and the players will push 110% work hard to that game, BUT, we need to play another game in two or three days after, can you accept we play a sex game in weekend and feck off in mid-week? if we lose,,then someone will come out and moan that Ole out again. Ole manage well in a toughest schedule and achieve a not too bad result. (we are still in 2nd position)
As bad as United have had it this season, spare a thought for the Vancouver Canucks in the NHL. They've had 21 players contract Covid, with varying degrees of symptoms, won't have played a game for 3 weeks and are expected to play 19 games in 31 days, including 5 in the first 7 days!

Ranchero

We can be boring like any side. But another way of looking at it is that we appear good at winning games despite playing for long periods in second gear. Right now we are good at doing JUST enough.

I'd rather watch United when boring than a City side boring through possession for possession's sake.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
People also needs to realize there are two teams playing, and the entertainment value depends on both teams, not just one of them.

If one team parks the bus, it tends to become a dull affair because you have one team with 65+% possession who try to break down two banks of defenders and the other one lumping it up to an isolated CF in hopes that he can make something of it.

Post lockdown last year we were really exiting to watch imo, because teams showed us less respect so we usually had more room to attack in, which then lead to a lot of chances created and a lot of goals scored.

Our recent game vs Granada was pretty bad to watch, but that had more to do with Granada trying to shithouse their way to a result rather than us playing a particularly bad brand of football.

UnitedTID

If you think the PL is subpar and believe that United are boring... which leagues are great and which teams are outplaying us?
Bayern Munich for one, the fact that Bellingham is 17 as their dominating main is a shocker, but their play is quality and he’s quality. So clearly some teams are taking advantage of English talent in the best way. I’m not saying the bundersliga is better I’m not delusional, I’m just saying their play is definitely more exciting, and on top of that, the way Real Madrid thrashed Liverpool was entertaining to say the least, we’ve got a lot of work to do. No point having a team of younguns if they’re lazy and get butthurt when we concede.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
How can someone look at our season and say we’re not an entertaining side? We have a habit of starting slowly and conceding early but we also have the most points from losing positions. On our day we can tear apart the best of teams but when the timing of the passing isn’t quite there we look almost like we’ve never played together.

All in all, a pretty entertaining package.

RUCK4444

WE ARE entertaining.

Cannot believe some asking if our footie Is better than LVG and Mourinho. It’s much better, feckin much.

hubbuh

....welcome to Manchester United fan club. congratulations.
Haha!! I've been a diehard ever since I was a snotty little boy. Maybe not being at Old Trafford for so long has taken its toll. Still, my love and support for the club is never in question, regardless of how we play, the manager in charge or the trophies we do/don't win.

Cheers!!

meamth

Haha!! I've been a diehard ever since I was a snotty little boy. Maybe not being at Old Trafford for so long has taken its toll. Still, my love and support for the club is never in question, regardless of how we play, the manager in charge or the trophies we do/don't win.

Cheers!!
Cheers mate, enjoy the win today.

Maybe this thread is a jinx thread after all.. :lol:

hubbuh

Cheers mate, enjoy the win today.

Maybe this thread is a jinx thread after all.. :lol:
If we start playing like that every game I want a fecking statue right next to Charlton, Best and Law!!

You too pal! That was fecking great.

Tyrion

100%. At least the League cup should have been deprioritized from the start. Only City and Chelsea can compete on all fronts.
I don't know about that. We were knocked out by Leicester and they're in an even tighter fight for top 4 than us. We have just played badly in some cup games. We don't have the squad depth of City or Chelsea but that's only so much of an excuse.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I don't know about that. We were knocked out by Leicester and they're in an even tighter fight for top 4 than us. We have just played badly in some cup games. We don't have the squad depth of City or Chelsea but that's only so much of an excuse.
Are you just going to ignore the fact that we had a widweek game and Leicester did not?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Glory is for winning titles...

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
And? I still don't see that as an excuse for a 3-1 loss. If you look hard enough, you can excuse anything.
What else do teams need a big squad for? You admit we don't have a big squad like City and Chelsea and then say thats no excuse, but then why do City and Chelsea need a big squad then? Do they just like spending money?

Green_Red

Second highest scorers in the league, consistently gone far in multiple competitions (without a trophy to show for it as of yet), beaten the likes of City, PSG, and scored a record-equalling 9 goals against the Saints. We've also staged a significant number of comebacks after conceding first and comebacks are typically seen as a lark in the world of sport. Do any of those things mask the issue of us being boring as feck to watch in loads of games? We've recorded 5 nil nils against our traditional domestic rivals this season in 8 games, winning 1 and losing the other 2 (scoring 3 goals and conceding 7). We're also becoming Europa League regulars which isn't very sexy.

Is Ole still finding the balance between functionality and entertainment? Is there a personnel issue (are we dysfunctional and dull because we aren't able to consistently squeeze teams high enough up the pitch, hence the need for a more tactful and pacy CB and domineering DM, for example)? Is football in general duller at the moment because of a lack of fans? All too often I find myself drifting in and out of games and I wondered if anyone could explain why that might be happening.

What does everyone think?
The 5 nil nils highlight one of the positions we really need a top signing in and that's a striker.

When you see how Cavani plays today you wonder why he hasn't been starting more games for us. Either way need a striker in his mould.

Tyrion

What else do teams need a big squad for? You admit we don't have a big squad like City and Chelsea and then say thats no excuse, but then why do City and Chelsea need a big squad then? Do they just like spending money?
Bigger squads obviously help but it's not like it's impossible otherwise or that every squad is either big or small and only the big ones get to play midweek and then win. We got knocked out of the FA cup last year by Chelsea which had a weaker squad than they do now and knocked out of the Europa league by Sevilla. Did Istanbul have a bigger squad than us?

We keep coming up short in the latter stages of knockout games and City and Chelsea having a slightly bigger squad than us only excuses so much.

GueRed

1st half yesterday against Spurs the football was slow, tepid and boring. From both teams!!

Thankfully we came out the blocks in the 2nd half, played with more rhythm and intensity,

The better team on the day won.

Beanz

Bayern Munich for one, the fact that Bellingham is 17 as their dominating main is a shocker, but their play is quality and he’s quality. So clearly some teams are taking advantage of English talent in the best way. I’m not saying the bundersliga is better I’m not delusional, I’m just saying their play is definitely more exciting, and on top of that, the way Real Madrid thrashed Liverpool was entertaining to say the least, we’ve got a lot of work to do. No point having a team of younguns if they’re lazy and get butthurt when we concede.
Bellingham is not in bayern

And as a regular bundes liga spectator I can assure you it's not more exciting. The only league that I can say is easier on the eyes is la liga. Mainly because a good majority of the teams don't sit back and it's generally end to end football.

Last edited:

Beanz

We've had so many wins this season where a large majority label it, "our best game of the season", "best game since...", "played them out of the park", "really fecking enjoyed that". And then there's those who choose to select 5 games in the season and brush all our performances with that stroke. United fans are genuinely mind boggling.

I personally I'm of the opinion that we don't play boring football. I've thoroughly enjoyed this season matches. However just like all the other football teams in existence we have a few stinkers here and there, but those are the exceptions not the norm

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We've had so many wins this season where a large majority label it, "our best game of the season", "best game since...", "played them out of the park", "really fecking enjoyed that". And then there's those who choose to select 5 games in the season and brush all our performances with that stroke. United fans are genuinely mind boggling.

I personally I'm of the opinion that we don't play boring football. I've thoroughly enjoyed this season matches
You shouldn’t come into the Fred thread if you dislike short memories :)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
1st half yesterday against Spurs the football was slow, tepid and boring. From both teams!!

Thankfully we came out the blocks in the 2nd half, played with more rhythm and intensity,

We always player better when behind, which shows that we are playing with the brakes on most of the time. When we are forced to go for it, we can play some lovely football.

I guess it's about getting over that psychological issue of having to go 1-0 down before we can start going for it. Maybe we don't truly believe we can outplay 9/10 teams yet from the start thus start cautiously?

tomaldinho1

You shouldn’t come into the Fred thread if you dislike short memories :)
:lol:
Very true.

Whichever side of the fence you're on in the debate in this thread, I think we will all agree the key really is consistency. If we can start to replicate that second half more often, and it doesn't need to be all the time by any means, this thread will die. It would, however, be typical of our season to then labour to a draw or one-nil win versus Burnley next game and see this thread then blow up again.

Zen86

We're not a boring team, but we've played plenty of boring football at times. On the other hand, we've also played some of the most exciting football in the league. We don't have to be definitively this or that. However, our "boring" games generally occur when the other team doesn't want to play football and shuts up shop. Go figure.

dinostar77

I guess there are fans on here who werent around for the fergie years. We had plenty of games where we were slow and pedestrian and fergie would go ballistic at half time and tell them "increase the tempo" and "urgency". Or play "1-2 touch maximum".

Another way to look at it is that Ole doesnt have a first XI who are consistently hitting 7 out of 10 for performances everyweek. 7 out of 10 with a few who regularly chip in 8 out of 10 performances is normally enough to win a game in PL (or it used to be). We still have a few too many dipping under that 7 out of 10 bar. Btw, this was all in fergie's books when he used to write them. Great reads for any utd fan.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
:lol:
Very true.

Whichever side of the fence you're on in the debate in this thread, I think we will all agree the key really is consistency. If we can start to replicate that second half more often, and it doesn't need to be all the time by any means, this thread will die. It would, however, be typical of our season to then labour to a draw or one-nil win versus Burnley next game and see this thread then blow up again.
Honestly it was night and day when everything stopped having to go through Rashford. Fred Shaw and Pogba overloaded that side moved the ball and just did the simple things well. That’s what won the game for us. That long spamming out ball to find Rashford 1 v 1 needs to stop as one of our main threats. It’s throwing momentum away on repeat. Our other forwards might as well be back defending when he gets the ball most of the time. The one good thing he did yesterday was lay the ball off for Fred fast on the edge of the area for his goal. A Bit of variation never hurt. Also the endless interplay on the wings. Be brave and hit an early cross. That’s Cavanis livelihood. No point in finally giving it him outside the box marked by 2 players. What yesterday showed me is we don’t particularly need this new DM except for against the most tactical sides in the CL. What we do need is a younger option up front and serious rotation on the wings. Rashford clearly needs some competition/rest and to stop trying to do it all himself. I think it’s all ahead of us if we keep going the way we are and we spend our money better this summer. Sancho hopefully :drool:

Ole has done so well with an incomplete team. An unfit Rashford, free transfer Cavani, second season syndrome Mason and Martial who does this every time a striker is brought in. The Pogba situation etc. None of them have had a top season and we are second. If we get the chemistry right in the forwards I really think we are nicely set up. It used to be that the team was probably even more toxic than the fans but it’s definitely the other way around these days :lol:

Last edited:

theklr

Bigger squads obviously help but it's not like it's impossible otherwise or that every squad is either big or small and only the big ones get to play midweek and then win. We got knocked out of the FA cup last year by Chelsea which had a weaker squad than they do now and knocked out of the Europa league by Sevilla. Did Istanbul have a bigger squad than us?

We keep coming up short in the latter stages of knockout games and City and Chelsea having a slightly bigger squad than us only excuses so much.
You mean bigger or better or both? They just dont have a bigger, they also have a better squad.

Which means its easier to rotate and can be done more excessivly. If its correct or not, Ole keeps running our first XI into the ground because he doesnt trust most of his subs, and in my opinion, rightly so.

This was the cause for both City and Chelsea cup loss last season.

arthurka

I think the injustice that we felt in the first half sparked us on in the second. So in a way we were on the way to be boring Utd. That helped a lot and even Ole recognized that in the post match interview.

tomaldinho1

Honestly it was night and day when everything stopped having to go through Rashford. Fred Shaw and Pogba overloaded that side moved the ball and just did the simple things well. That’s what won the game for us. That long spamming out ball to find Rashford 1 v 1 needs to stop as one of our main threats. It’s throwing momentum away on repeat. Our other forwards might as well be back defending when he gets the ball most of the time. The one good thing he did yesterday was lay the ball off for Fred fast on the edge of the area for his goal. A Bit of variation never hurt. Also the endless interplay on the wings. Be brave and hit an early cross. That’s Cavanis livelihood. No point in finally giving it him outside the box marked by 2 players. What yesterday showed me is we don’t particularly need this new DM except for against the most tactical sides in the CL. What we do need is a younger option up front and serious rotation on the wings. Rashford clearly needs some competition/rest and to stop trying to do it all himself. I think it’s all ahead of us if we keep going the way we are and we spend our money better this summer. Sancho hopefully :drool:

Ole has done so well with an incomplete team. An unfit Rashford, free transfer Cavani, second season syndrome Mason and Martial who does this every time a striker is brought in. The Pogba situation etc. None of them have had a top season and we are second. If we get the chemistry right in the forwards I really think we are nicely set up. It used to be that the team was probably even more toxic than the fans but it’s definitely the other way around these days :lol:
I genuinely don't think I've seen Rashford not injured since last season's win at City - he gets kicked every game now and looks like he's just had the walls of Jericho done after every challenge.

Wewinsoon

You mean bigger or better or both? They just dont have a bigger, they also have a better squad.

Which means its easier to rotate and can be done more excessivly. If its correct or not, Ole keeps running our first XI into the ground because he doesnt trust most of his subs, and in my opinion, rightly so.

This was the cause for both City and Chelsea cup loss last season.
Ya, we need 4 more world class so there is room to rest other players, we need to become stronger. The big clubs like Madrid and City have many players Who Are very good on each position

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Brighton vs Everton tonight a prime example that the grass isn't greener elsewhere. In fact it's a lot worse.

hubbuh

Interesting graphic demonstrating how similar our attacking output this season is to Mourinho's 2017/2018 season in charge.

It goes to show how a positive and unified atmosphere can influence fan's perception. Ole has definitely built himself a good platform to take it up another notch next season (assuming he's adequately backed in the summer) in terms of results and performances.

Here are the stats for defensive output for those interested. The numbers are remarkably similar across the board.