Boubakary Soumaré

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Except he isn't. He might be talented, but this idea that he's better than McTominay and Fred currently is a stretch at best. And I don't rate Fred all that much.

His midfield partner Benjamin André has 58 successful tackles and 40 interceptions in 19 games. His midfield partner is the ball winner, Soumare is not.
Ok let’s go for him then. feck it, we need a CM

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly where is that coming from? I've read it multiple times now in this thread and I am wondering who has actually seen him.

Soumare has 20 successful tackles and 16 interceptions in 18 games. For comparison an actual ball winner like Camavinga, who is 3 years younger, has 87 successful tackles and 30 interception in 19 games.
There's more and more bluffers on here each transfer window. It's amazing people have the time to watch every single player under the sun and be on here all the time, and you know actually have a life.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There's more and more bluffers on here each transfer window. It's amazing people have the time to watch every single player under the sun and be on here all the time, and you know actually have a life.
Too many getting their knickers in a twist over this player and that.
Some ridiculously heated conversations going on about the relative merits of footballers. From what I can gather; they’re all shit and we should sign all the ballon d’or nominees or no one

CR1

A 6 and a double 8 is ideal I think.
This is what I think as well. Phillips as the 6, plus McTominay, Fred and Soumaré rotating as the two 8s.

One from Garner and Levitt as back-up (the other one goes out on loan).

Matic, Pogba and Lingard all seem set on leaving. Fellaini and Herrera have already left.

Not sure about Pereira but as best a squad player.

Gomes should be loaned out.

I would keep Mata and use him as a false 7 (inverted RW/RF that cuts in) against lesser opposition that sit back though.

Curious to see what TFM can do as a DM too.

10s rarely do well at United anyway. But if Fernandes comes then he can be another 8 albeit with slightly more creative responsibilities.

Last edited:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
This is what I think as well. Phillips as the 6, plus McTominay, Fred and Soumaré rotating as the two 8s.

One from Garner and Levitt as back-up (the other one goes out on loan).

Matic, Pogba and Lingard all seem set on leaving. Fellaini and Herrera have already left.

Not sure about Pereira but as best a squad player.

Gomes should be loaned out.

I would keep Mata and use him as a false 7 (inverted RW/RF that cuts in) against lesser opposition that sit back though.

10s rarely do well at United anyway. But if Fernandes comes then he can be another 8 albeit with slightly more creative responsibilities.

btw, Phillips? Did I miss that one?

Mark Pawelek

He's not a center defensive midfield. He's a box-to-box, but not currently assisting nor scoring. Needs more development.
He's looked much better in the Champions League than French League 1. Pure speculation by United if we get him. Unlikely as we have loads of inexperienced midfielders: McTominay, Pereira, Fred, and prospects: Garner, Levitt, Galbraith, Hannibal, Helm, Puigmal, Barlow, Hamilton.

£20 million?; as his contract ends this summer. But, instead, why not go for the Argentine kid Rio fancies?

beingshe7don

The only one I would disagree on is Cavani. Maybe he'll make me eat my words, but he's really looking like he's at the end of his career.
I agree with you. His stats aren't the best this season. So my reason for considering him was because he's still a world class player and would bring his experience to the table to help the likes of Martial, Greenwood and Rashford become better players. Also, I don't think Cavani would have an issue being benched every now and then and being rotated and he provides a more than capable threat upfront against the teams which require us to be a bit rough. If it's not Cavani for free, my only other option at the ST position would be Werner. The guy is a class player and will shine for Germany at the Euros. Also, he's a United fan too. I think if we get Werner, I"m completely fine with us getting Vinicius Jr. for the RW (in exchange for Pogba) and spending the bulk on getting Werner.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Werner & Vinicius Jr.

beingshe7don

He's not a center defensive midfield. He's a box-to-box, but not currently assisting nor scoring. Needs more development.
He's looked much better in the Champions League than French League 1. Pure speculation by United if we get him. Unlikely as we have loads of inexperienced midfielders: McTominay, Pereira, Fred, and prospects: Garner, Levitt, Galbraith, Hannibal, Helm, Puigmal, Barlow, Hamilton.

£20 million?; as his contract ends this summer. But, instead, why not go for the Argentine kid Rio fancies?
South American players are slowly bed into the team as they take a lot longer to acclimatize. We need players right now who are relatively young and can make an immediate impact.

beingshe7don

How much is Soumare being quoted for? Isn't his contract expiring this summer or something? Can we get him for 25m instead?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Sky saying he is set to choose between Chelsea and United. Club name being used to drive up the fee / wage because there is no chance United are negotiating for two players.

Jericholyte2

The brief did say a forward and two midfielders. If rumours are believed we were talking with Cavani but he said not til summer so could make sense. Cavani short term with Fernandes and Soumaré would be a hell of a window.

beingshe7don

Sky saying he is set to choose between Chelsea and United. Club name being used to drive up the fee / wage because there is no chance United are negotiating for two players.
I've got a feeling we may get Soumare on loan with the option to buy.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I agree with you. His stats aren't the best this season. So my reason for considering him was because he's still a world class player and would bring his experience to the table to help the likes of Martial, Greenwood and Rashford become better players. Also, I don't think Cavani would have an issue being benched every now and then and being rotated and he provides a more than capable threat upfront against the teams which require us to be a bit rough. If it's not Cavani for free, my only other option at the ST position would be Werner. The guy is a class player and will shine for Germany at the Euros. Also, he's a United fan too. I think if we get Werner, I"m completely fine with us getting Vinicius Jr. for the RW (in exchange for Pogba) and spending the bulk on getting Werner.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Werner & Vinicius Jr.
Except Vinicius doesn't do RW.

James, Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Pogba, Williams... Please, we've got more than enough right footed players who prefer & are better cutting in from the left.

On topic, I don't think we're after this Soumare guy at all.

Kostov

I would be more pleased with signing this kid than the transfer of Bruno. CDM is more concerning imo, and Soumare looks very talented.

Rolaholic

Our pull right now when it comes to foreign players has to be the lowest it's been. Literally can mainly offer money

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Our pull right now when it comes to foreign players has to be the lowest it's been. Literally can mainly offer money
Surprising if true, when there isn't much between the two clubs. He'd be far more likely to play for United.

Andersons Dietician

He's not scored nor assisted this season. How will Soumare make an immediate impact?
To be fair that isn’t the only way to make an immediate impact. If he comes in does what he has been doing then it’ll be an asset to the team regardless if he is scoring or assisting.

The issue I see is I don’t see how you make a midfield out of Bruno, Soumare, Fred, Pogba, McT and let’s say Matic and Pereira. Something just doesn’t seem right. Matic might go but none of the people there are what I’d class as a DM.
Soumare to me in many ways plays similar to McT except he is maybe slightly more athletic and skilful. Neither particularly great passers but they can occasional hit the mark.

The only one that really makes sense to me unless Ole is going to persist in Pogba in a 2 is a 3 of

DDG
Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
Matic
Bruno. Pogba
Greenwood Martial Rashford
I just don’t think Fred, McT or Soumare have the ability to be the anchor in a midfield without a support player.

If you’re buying him you’re buying him for his ability to drive the ball out of defence through midfield and breaking lines with his running with the ball which I suppose is supposed to kinda be what Pogba should be doing when fit.

Last edited:

mad1max954

Having watched his obligatory YouTube video I’m all for him! Looks a beast- decent enough on the ball too.

got to be an upgrade on maticz

would not be surprised if pogba goes this window especially if we get Bruno too

RedorDead21

You judge a centre midfielder by goals and assists?
We’ve had plenty of centre mids who could score goals over the years. Not the main gauge granted but we certainly needs ours to chip in more than what we currently get out of them right?

Mark Pawelek

You judge a centre midfielder by goals and assists?
I don't have a problem with United buying him, provided
  • we don't pay too much money,
  • we don't expect miracles like instant results. He's a 20-year old player with no premiership experience.
I expect an immediate impact from Bruno; not from Soumare. Is that reasonable?

Grande

For someone who was a supporter in the 80’s and 90’s, that’s quite some exaggeration. The only foreign player we could get, for years was an ageing Arnold Mühren, who already had spent most of his best years at Ipswich. It was a feeling of sensation when we could get Denmark’s maybe sixth best player, Jesper Olsen, to join us from Ajax In the mid eighties.

the nighties was a case of Fergie’s Bargains, mostly from the Scandinavian leagues (and Ukraina). Jaap Stam was maybe the first big transfer target coming to us from a leaugue outside the Isles, and the only one before the new millenium, lest I’m ignoring someone. Not until Van Nistelrooy, Veron and Ronaldo did I start to feel that we could compete for the top level quality of player or talent on a regular basis.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
To be fair that isn’t the only way to make an immediate impact. If he comes in does what he has been doing then it’ll be an asset to the team regardless if he is scoring or assisting.

The issue I see is I don’t see how you make a midfield out of Bruno, Soumare, Fred, Pogba, McT and let’s say Matic and Pereira. Something just doesn’t seem right. Matic might go but none of the people there are what I’d class as a DM.
Soumare to me in many ways plays similar to McT except he is maybe slightly more athletic and skilful. Neither particularly great passers but they can occasional hit the mark.

The only one that really makes sense to me unless Ole is going to persist in Pogba in a 2 is a 3 of

DDG
Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
Matic
Bruno. Pogba
Greenwood Martial Rashford​
That midfield would be an absolute car wreck. No where near solid enough. Bruno n Pogba are basically attackers. They don't do much defending.

Matic on his own would be so bad. My word. Even with Fred n Matic we look like conceding lots of goals and you want to make it more attacking?

Bruno will be coming to replace Pogba not be his partner.

E-mal

That midfield would be an absolute car wreck. No where near solid enough. Bruno n Pogba are basically attackers. They don't do much defending.

Matic on his own would be so bad. My word. Even with Fred n Matic we look like conceding lots of goals and you want to make it more attacking?

How is Guardiola managing it at City with two attacking midfielders?

Andersons Dietician

Guess you’re not really that familiar with Bruno. He’s not just an attacker. He’s actually played further back, he also puts in a shift defensively. Actually if you take his tackling stats from this season and put him in our team only Bissaka has more tackles per game than him.

Last year he played as an 8. This year he has been moved further forward.

I also never said that’s what I want to do but the only set up that really makes sense if we bring in Soumare and Bruno in January. Did you read my post or just see the formation?

Anyway to repeat, seems like a weird mix of midfielders and I can’t quite see what Ole is planning to do. If as you say he is going to replace Pogba with Bruno then we could do a hell of a lot better than Bruno for that job and if anything I imagine the one that would replace Pogba would be Soumare and we try and get the creative spark from someone else.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I think modern football is changing, I think playing with two attacking midfielders has become more common, and very helpful to pin teams in and break down those stubborn defences.

They would obviously need to work hard but I think it could work.

sherrinford

We’ve had plenty of centre mids who could score goals over the years. Not the main gauge granted but we certainly needs ours to chip in more than what we currently get out of them right?
Not really, no. Goals aren’t required from deep midfield players, generally.

I don't have a problem with United buying him, provided
  • we don't pay too much money,
  • we don't expect miracles like instant results. He's a 20-year old player with no premiership experience.
I expect an immediate impact from Bruno; not from Soumare. Is that reasonable?
Yes, very reasonable - but using ‘immediate impact’ in a very different context.