Kick-off
Sun, 14 August 2016 @ 1:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mr Smith

Good half. Not amazing, but we did cope with some fairly intense pressure from Bournmouth in the first 15-20 quite well. Obviously a bit lucky to be ahead. Some notable features of the game/our approach:
    - Mata's selection (and positioning) is justified, and not just because of the goal. It's interesting, and satisfying, to note how much positional freedom he's been given in attack, he's roamed into the middle quite frequently, which has left a lot of space for Valencia to storm into. This looks like a specific strategy, and has produced some of our best moments.

- Fellaini appears to be being used as a pure destroyer, which you have to say has also been justified as he's hardly put a foot wrong in the first half. Seems clear that Mourinho sees breaking up the play as his primary function/attribute, and as a result I don't see him shipping out of Manchester any time soon.

- We played a lot of long balls particularly in the first 20 minutes. It's difficult to say whether this was simply due to Bournmouth's very impressive pressing, or a specific instruction from Mourinho. Either way, they weren't used well, as Ibrahimovic was largely isolated when receiving them, and didn't always bring the ball down well in any case. If we're going to play that game, then Martial needs to be much closer to Ibra so that there's someone to run onto his knock-downs.

- Our defence, despite a couple of shaky moments from Shaw, seems very solid on the whole. Bailly continues to impress me, and anyone who still thinks Blind can't/shouldn't play at CB has too high standards.

- Unclear what specific instructions/role Rooney has been given. He hasn't exactly done anything bad, but he hasn't been involved or dangerous enough to justify being played at #10 in this system either.

- I feel like we could be feeding Martial and Mata a little more, as they are probably our most creative players. Think that will happen as things open up in the second half and Bournmouth tire.

Those who feel this was pedestrian or boring should probably get used to the fact that Mourinho is often defence/organisation first, attack second. Also, you know, this is our first game and our best player is out.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
    And to think, if SAF had stayed just one more year he'd have fecked Rooney off! Shame Moyes didn't have the balls what SAF was in the process of doing, he shouldn't have been given another contract, let's hope this club don't make the same mistake...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Am I the only one happy with the first half? We've been in control, tough away game - first of the season and a goal on top of it. We have a lot of new players, new managers and always start slow.

We've been really organized but lacking in the final third - would expect that to get better of course in the next games, but given how the top sides have struggled in the first round it's been a solid display.

The only downside is as always - Rooney. I'd have Micky/Rashford on the right and Mata in the middle to combine with Herrera. Rooney is just so off the pace...
    Lots of people forgetting we lost this fixture last season. Three points is all that counts for me. I wanna win the league, not the Wenger performance trophy or a moral cup.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Herrera and Fellaini isn't a combo I saw us ever using apart from when injuries had dictated otherwise.
    But we're 1-0 up, and a first game win is so important to set the tone.

Schneiderlin seems to be well down the pecking order.

EmPeeKay

Pheww, we're winning this game by one goal to nil, but it has yet again been an underwhelming performance. It just all looks to LVG-esque. I think we're also lacking a bit of match sharpness.

When I saw the team sheet I was gutted. There is almost no pace in the team and it seems as if Mourinho is cocky enough to take a gamble with this team rather than fielding his strongest line-up and making a true statement with a comfortable win. It (the line-up) reminds me of something LVG did before the MK Dons game, where he effectively chose a line-up of players he was doubtful about and effectively threw them under the bus after the defeat in order to reason their dismissal. Or could this be our Europa League team? I'm confused!!

Obviously Mourinho is not fielding a line-up of all the players he wants to get rid off, but I think he is putting a few players to the test here. If you ask me we already have two candidates: Feillani and sadly Rooney. They're just not good enough and are slowing the play down. Herrera is trying the best he can but with Feillaini beside him there is no cover and mobility. Rooney needs to be swapped for Mhiki and Feillani needs to be replaced with Carrick and hopefully the goalfest can begin.

Away fans gave it all and have been chanting uninterrupted. What's with some of the chants though? At times one could think there is a Roy Chubby Brown gig at the vitality rather than a football match.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
    The way Rooney keeps playing and the way he keeps getting picked by every manager since Sir Alex it makes me think that he has something in his contract which makes him an automatic starter when fit. There's no other way to describe his performances these last 4 years other than completely shit.

Von Mistelroum

Rooney has been a complete joke. Mata isn't a winger. Herrera has been largely anonymous and Fellaini is just gormless.

Mata should play where Rooney is if he's playing. Makes you wonder why Mkhitaryan isn't playing though. Poor in training? He wasn't very good in the last preseason match as I recall.

We still look very much like a Van Gaal side though.

JustinC00

I must have missed something. I was under the impression that we had a new manager.
    5 shots
    3 shots on goal
    1 goal (from a route one football)
    with 49% possession

Last season it would have been

1 shot (from a move that had 50 passes before the attempt was made)
    0 shots on goal
    68% possession

Denis79

I'm serious that Valencia needs some massive appreciation gesture when he does eventually leave us. Yes he had a period where we was pretty shit at crossing and as a winger but the way LVG converted him to his new position and doing it so well is imho brilliant. True servant of the club and imho United legend when you consider all the players that left around in the meantime. Hard working and selfless, the United way.
    LVG converted him?

devil in me

Am I the only one happy with the first half? We've been in control, tough away game - first of the season and a goal on top of it. We have a lot of new players, new managers and always start slow.

We've been really organized but lacking in the final third - would expect that to get better of course in the next games, but given how the top sides have struggled in the first round it's been a solid display.

The only downside is as always - Rooney. I'd have Micky/Rashford on the right and Mata in the middle to combine with Herrera. Rooney is just so off the pace...
    Im with you there.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is it a case of

a) it's going to take time for Jose to change our style from LVG's to his own

b) Their styles are not actually very different.

c) A bit of both

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
    I have a man crush on Valencia. Dunno why, think he just fecking loves it here.

Juansar_07

Bailly is a breath of fresh air.Pure Dominance.That is how we were used to the standards of defending.Still too early to predict.But one can see the worldly potetial in their.

Mr Smith

Martial has been very poor
    Does anyone who doesn't do absolutely everything perfect automatically qualify as poor for you? He's tried to make stuff happen, not everything has come off. Try to keep the knee-jerks to a minimum, would you please?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Just come home, there seems to be difference of opinion about performances, but I get the impression that you all think Rooney has been terrible.

Enigma_87

You know who
    Lots of people forgetting we lost this fixture last season. Three points is all that counts for me. I wanna win the league, not the Wenger performance trophy or a moral cup.
    Indeed. Especially given our away form last year. Pogba will also bring a lot to our midfield, and for different reasons we haven't had the best preparation pre season so far - with transfers, the EURO's players coming back from holiday and so forth. The team would need some time to gel and hit the stride.

Besides, the best part so far - as every other Mourinho team - we're really organized at the back, which is good to see with Bailly also excelling in the first half.

When Rooney is off the first team (looks like it) we would be much more potent up front, but being defensively solid is a great start.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Just come home, there seems to be difference of opinion about performances, but I get the impression that you all think Rooney has been terrible.
    I think he's pinged a few nice balls out wide but generally he has slowed our play down. The same as last season!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 976 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw