Boxset viewing - When to bale out / which episode "Jumps the shark"

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Prison Break: after season 1
Imho season 1 was one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen. The rest was thoroughly meh.

Homeland: after season 3
For a reason I won't spoil I lost interest.

Fargo: after season 1 (controversial maybe)

Family guy: turned to shite after season 10 or so, but returned to form lately.

Rick and Morty: never.

Happy days: the episode where Fonzy jumps the shark.

I'll get my coat.
Second season of Fargo shat all over the first, which was a mess.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Arrested Development - The revival on netflix. Really suffered by not having the cast together for most scenes and while it still has some great moments it really suffers in comparison to the first 3 series.
I thought it was from when Charlize Theron joined.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire the whole way but the quality doubtlessly dipped later on.

I know a lad who bailed after season two* for about a year, came back then bailed again after the following season**.

For me the problem was as good as Steve Buscemi's portrayal was I struggled to stay on board with Nucky's 'power for power's sake' motivation in a way I didn't with Walter White, who grew into his megalomania in a very compelling way across five seasons. They spiced up the interest in the Nucky character pretty well in the final season*** in my view, though others disagree, but it was mainly the travails of other characters (Narcisse, Richard, Nelson, Capone, Chalky) that held me rather than the so-called main lead of the piece.

* When Jimmy got whacked. He styled himself on the look of the character for a while and loved Michael Pitt, and to this day I get a kick out of teasing him with the fact Pitt was canned for being an unprofessional prick on set.

** When Gyp Rosetti was introduced and killed off in one season.

*** I liked the flashback stuff as a way of fleshing out Nucky's character. The actor who played him was as good a young Buscemi as is possible to find, so well done for that too.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire the whole way but the quality doubtlessly dipped later on.

I know a lad who bailed after season two* for about a year, came back then bailed again after the following season**.

For me the problem was as good as Steve Buscemi's portrayal was I struggled to stay on board with Nucky's 'power for power's sake' motivation in a way I didn't with Walter White, who grew into his megalomania in a very compelling way across five seasons. They spiced up the interest in the Nucky character pretty well in the final season*** in my view, though others disagree, but it was mainly the travails of other characters (Narcisse, Richard, Nelson, Capone, Chalky) that held me rather than the so-called main lead of the piece.

* When Jimmy got whacked. He styled himself on the look of the character for a while and loved Michael Pitt, and to this day I get a kick out of teasing him with the fact Pitt was canned for being an unprofessional prick on set.

** When Gyp Rosetti was introduced and killed off in one season.

*** I liked the flashback stuff as a way of fleshing out Nucky's character. The actor who played him was as good a young Buscemi as is possible to find, so well done for that too.
Yeah, Boardwalk was a little all over the place at times. Started superbly, but it never really seemed like it knew what sort of show it wanted to be, since it sometimes veered from a Sopranos-style character study to a more action-orientated gangster action flick.

Buscemi was alright, but yeah, characters like Capone managed to come across as naturally being a lot more interesting. The problem was that they simultaneously made Capone, Rothstein, Luciano etc main cast characters, giving them prominent roles, but also sort of leaving them in the background as well.

Think the end of Season 3 was when I packed it in.

buchansleftleg

Star Trek. The next generation

Series 1 is clearly it finding it's feet but series 2-6 are the best. Series 7 really tales off and is only worth watching to complete some storylines.

Maybe the best writers had been drafted into the spin offs.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I quite enjoyed Arrow until it became mainly about that specky bird with the big arse.

Massive Spanner

What the feck
I thought the first season had one of the strongest opening episodes ever and just proceeded to get more and more silly and convulated as it went along, and Martin Freeman's character was daft. Only saving grace was Billy Bob.

Second season was amazing, though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought the first season had one of the strongest opening episodes ever and just proceeded to get more and more silly and convulated as it went along, and Martin Freeman's character was daft. Only saving grace was Billy Bob.

Second season was amazing, though.
Martin Freeman was good, he was exactly like William H Macy from the movie. Billy Bob was fantastic.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
The first two series of the Inbetweeners are excellent. The third is sometimes excellent but sometimes a little nasty.
The first film is okay as I remember it; the second film is rubbish.

Massive Spanner

Martin Freeman was good, he was exactly like William H Macy from the movie. Billy Bob was fantastic.
He was very good in the role but

the idea that his character could go from this bumbling fool to being some sort of confident ladies man was ridiculous. His transformation was just so silly.

Then the show itself has so many daft moments like the fish falling from the sky, Billy Bob's invincibility, the whole Vegas plot, the snow shootout, and It REALLY jumped the gun after the time jump forward.

And yeah, he was like Macy's character only not nearly as good!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I really struggled to get into the 2nd season of Fargo. Only watched 2 or 3 yet so many seem to say its better than the first.

Am I the only one, or did it just start slow?

Art Vandelay

Walking Dead - Wish I'd just given up after the first episode and saved myself from a lot of boredom.

Game of Thrones - Some of the acting wasn't very good to begin with(Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington), but the writing was solid and it was a very good show. After season 3(or whichever one ended with the Red Wedding) it all goes right down the shitter. It goes from being a character driven story, to characters doing almost random things just because it's what the writers wanted. It's just so much worse than it was. Even the great action set pieces have the taint of plot holes/poor logic now.

People saying Community after series 3/4 are mad. Season 5 was worth it for the Ass Crack Bandit alone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I remember correctly I failed to finish the season 1 of Walking Dead, the breaking point is when you think about putting it on.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Dexter - Just stop it altogether after season 4
The Simpsons - season 9 is very hit & miss but seeing anything after that just makes me sad.
The Walking Dead - I bailed sometime during season 5, it was a season too late.

Oh and don't listen to the fella saying Fargo, it actually gets better.

muller

Glad to see it isn't just me with Walking Dead.

I still watch it, mainly because the missus does - but we've got 4 esisodes into the most recent season and just never have the motivation to watch it.

I loved it initially - thought the fact it was a survivor story rather than a standard Zombie story was great.. but my god does it drag now.

Do not understand the Game Of Thrones hate though - the showhas changed but some of the action pieces are amazing in the most recent seasons and I hate thinking of it not on anymore! They could have probably doubled the amount of episodes from season 3 (there was enough content) and i'd have still loved it though.

Plus, more Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer.. To be honest most of the girls in it are amazing - doesnt hurt the TV shows appeal.