Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

Nanook

My statement isn’t false, your talking about rich foreigners in Qatar, of course it’s safe for them. I am talking about all foreigners. It’s a fact that it’s a dangerous country for foreign workers, so many horror stories of maids and construction workers. Many are treated without dignity and like a slave. By the way, these deaths weren’t included in your statistics. 70% of all foreign worker deaths in the last 10 years are unexplained:

https://amp.theguardian.com/global-...igrant-worker-deaths-in-past-10-years-amnesty

He didn’t point out it’s safe at all mate. I couldn’t give a crap about some stats of the internet. Of course it’s safe walking in a mall in Doha but 6500 foreigners died building the stadiums by for this World Cup alone. Don’t remember any foreigners dying to build all our stadiums in England. I am also sure all those foreigners were following local laws.
6500 foreigners have died over the course of 10 years out of a population of around 2 million. The death rate among migrant workers in Qatar isn’t unusually high. Also the vast majority of those 6500 wouldn’t have even been working on the WC stadiums.

Giggsyking

My statement isn’t false, your talking about rich foreigners in Qatar, of course it’s safe for them. I am talking about all foreigners. It’s a fact that it’s a dangerous country for foreign workers, so many horror stories of maids and construction workers. Many are treated without dignity and like a slave. By the way, these deaths weren’t included in your statistics. 70% of all foreign worker deaths in the last 10 years are unexplained:

https://amp.theguardian.com/global-...igrant-worker-deaths-in-past-10-years-amnesty

He didn’t point out it’s safe at all mate. I couldn’t give a crap about some stats of the internet. Of course it’s safe walking in a mall in Doha but 6500 foreigners died building the stadiums by for this World Cup alone. Don’t remember any foreigners dying to build all our stadiums in England. I am also sure all those foreigners were following local laws.
70% of all the population including Qataris are unexplained, this is nothing exclusive for foreign workers. So you want to believe how safe the country is for foreigners from a journalist but not authenticated data? suit yourself and believe what you want mate. 6500 did not die building the stadiums, 3 died related directly to constructions. Do I need to explain the numbers again? here read this post I wrote about the numbers.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/boycott-qatar-be-like-eric.468222/post-28363383

The indian Government itself said more young people die in England at this age group than the same age group of the immigrant workers in Qatar, do we need to investigate England about "why does young men die more there than in a developing country like Qatar"?

Giggsyking

I’m sure London has higher crime rates than Doha but those numbers are nonsense.
Ok
Nationmaster is a known website for statistics by countries and categories. These are their sources in regards of crime statistics

here is how Qatar compared to the next country of world cup USA.

Nanook

Ok
Nationmaster is a known website for statistics by countries and categories. These are their sources in regards of crime statistics

here is how Qatar compared to the next country of world cup USA.
Nationmaster is not a good source. Crime is recorded differently in every country so any list that ranks crime rates in every country is BS.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Total-crimes

I doubt Sweden and the UK have far higher per capita crime rates than Mexico and South Africa for example.
I’m sure Qatar is very safe but the numbers on that website are nonsense.

70% of all the population including Qataris are unexplained, this is nothing exclusive for foreign workers. So you want to believe how safe the country is for foreigners from a journalist but not authenticated data? suit yourself and believe what you want mate. 6500 did not die building the stadiums, 3 died related directly to constructions. Do I need to explain the numbers again? here read this post I wrote about the numbers.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/boycott-qatar-be-like-eric.468222/post-28363383

The indian Government itself said more young people die in England at this age group than the same age group of the immigrant workers in Qatar, do we need to investigate England about "why does young men die more there than in a developing country like Qatar"?
No foreign workers have died under dubious circumstances in Qatar, just like North Korea has no people dying of malnutrition right? Cmon mate, sometimes you have to use your common sense and believe peoples experiences and not rely on statistics. England is transparent and our reporting is one of the best in the entire world (COVID cases as an example).

It’s one thing to defend the country being awarded the World Cup but to pretend that there are no human rights abuses is just morally wrong. It would be better if you just admit they have human rights issues but are willing to change and through hosting the World Cup, it will help them improve working standards and bring much needed tourism to build the economy.

Giggsyking

Nationmaster is not a good source. Crime is recorded differently in every country so any list that ranks crime rates in every country is BS.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Total-crimes

I doubt Sweden and the UK have far higher per capita crime rates than Mexico and South Africa for example.
I’m sure Qatar is very safe but the numbers on that website are nonsense.
It is a statistic website that does not have its own sources, sources are usually from the national register or something similar. But the reason behind your question is because you looked on the total per capita, Sweden is one of the highest crime rates in total in Europe not because it has higher murder crime rate or robbery than Mexico, it is because Sweden has a developed reporting system and it is easier to report even small cases, to add to that the definition of many crimes specifically sex crimes has dramatically increased in Sweden and that is due changes in the Swedish laws on how they define sexual crimes and harassment. The numbers are right, but there is a reason behind that. Just look at the complete comparison
https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Mexico/Sweden/Crime.

Giggsyking

No foreign workers have died under dubious circumstances in Qatar, just like North Korea has no people dying of malnutrition right? Cmon mate, sometimes you have to use your common sense and believe peoples experiences and not rely on statistics. England is transparent and our reporting is one of the best in the entire world (COVID cases as an example).

It’s one thing to defend the country being awarded the World Cup but to pretend that there are no human rights abuses is just morally wrong. It would be better if you just admit they have human rights issues but are willing to change and through hosting the World Cup, it will help them improve working standards and bring much needed tourism to build the economy.
Can you point out where I defended their human rights abuses?
I said the numbers of 6500 is false and the number has been discussed by the governments of the 5 Asian countries and non have had concerns with the numbers being abnormal. You have to use your common sense here; how is the death rate of young men in the UK is higher than that in Qatar (put in mind these 5 Asian countries make 72% of the population in Qatar)?

Pintu

England is transparent and our reporting is one of the best in the entire world .
Very transparent. England never engaged in war crimes cover-up. Just like KSA is a secular democracy, right?

I was referring to the notion that one may boycott the Olympics because of the Iraq invasion - two entirely unrelated events. My point was that logic could be extended ad infinitum to little benefit. And again, you're still missing the point. The human rights abuses taking place are directly connected to the world cup. Directly connected. Which is why many are talking about boycotting.
That's subject to interpretation. The state not regulating its labour market precedes the WC bid. If anything, FIFA actually helped move them slightly in the right direction.

I have personally seen many more prominent critics that are more generally critical of Qatar's human rights record. The Norwegian national team wore T-shirts with this 'Human rights on and off the pitch'. Many have been voicing concern over the country's laws on LGBT rights and similar HR issues.

Last edited:

stevoc

I can't even imagine that. Thank you for sharing it. But I still disagree with you saying it is off-topic. When the awful HR record of Qatar is being used to disqualify it as a WC host, it is logical to bring up the HR record of the other hosting candidates.
Well fair enough I just don't see what it achieves personally. We should be able to discuss a wrong in the world in this case the Qatar WC. Without the usual whataboutisms and accusations of hypocrisy/selective outrage.

Last edited:
Very transparent. England never engaged in war crimes cover-up. Just like KSA is a secular democracy, right?
What a strange thing to write. Human rights abuse in Qatar is ok because England committed crimes in the past? Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder and an obvious deep seated hatred of England. Whatever England did in the past, we are one of the most advanced countries in the world for democracy and diversity. I am sure those are the things you hate the most.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
My issue with this issue, is that legitimate concerns over worker welfare in the Middle East, has been mixed with concerns over the host award process, "football culture in Qatar", disruptions to the European club calendar... And for the latter, they've either not been concerns in previous WCs, or it sounds a bit frivolous to me.

I find the Kafala system disgusting from top to bottom and that's even without the deaths. It's hard for me to suppress my cynicism given how intertwined the Western world is with Qatar. Their money is in your real estate, defense contractors, shopping malls, investment funds, football clubs... this is the time that ire is raised?

Call it the impact of propaganda or uncertainty over the topic or numbers being fudged by nonprofits... Is there a verified number on the number of deaths that occurred during the stadiums being built? If the number is in fact in the thousands, then personally I'd feel a bit queasy watching the tournament.

In conclusion I can't begrudge anyone who genuinely feels their conscience prompts them to boycott. You'd have a hard time making an objective argument on this issue though if this boycott doesn't extend to other areas of life, and that's avoiding any whataboutism argument on the subject.

Pintu

What a strange thing to write. Human rights abuse in Qatar is ok because England committed crimes in the past?
Where have I ever written something like that? Human rights abuses in Qatar are appalling and I will never ever defend such things.

England has committed horrendous war crimes in the very recent past. And is currently involved at various levels in war crimes committed by its allies.

If you can’t bring yourself to acknowledge that, then you are either ignorant or you are the one who hates England and don’t want it to change and really move on from its past.

Where have I ever written something like that? Human rights abuses in Qatar are appalling and I will never ever defend such things.

England has committed horrendous war crimes in the very recent past. And is currently involved at various levels in war crimes committed by its allies.

If you can’t bring yourself to acknowledge that, then you are either ignorant or you are the one who hates England and don’t want it to change and really move on from its past.
England has committed horrendous war crimes, even recently (Iraq). So I do acknowledge that, I am not in denial for that.

However, the argument I was making is that Qatar is actively covering up their human rights abuses so they shouldn’t host the World Cup. Your argument was that they should host the World Cup becaus England has committed crimes in its past. That argument doesn’t make sense to me.

Anyway im Sorry and I take back what I said that you are ok with human rights abuses in Qatar as you clearly don’t agree with them. That’s why I am now even more confused why you have a problem with what I said.

I think a World Cup in the Middle East is long overdue but just not in these circumstances with so much pain and suffering for it to take place.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I suspect you know that they don't, so not every micro nation has the right to host one then.

Just obscenely rich ones who bribe people for votes and bid for it under false pretences and once awarded admit they can't actually host it like they promised. And as a result the entire world footballing calendar has to be fecked about for 2-3 years to accommodate them.
Obviously you've never been given millions of dollars to back a bad idea, I'm sure those with the cash are satisfied with their work.

stevoc

Obviously you've never been given millions of dollars to back a bad idea, I'm sure those with the cash are satisfied with their work.
Yeah no doubt, the world's full of cnuts that will do anything for a few quid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm still having gripes with the whole schedule thing.
We didn't move it to fall beforehand, why do it after there is a completely usable and workable air conditioning system, it just so unnecessary and fecks so badly with the league calendars.(could also lead to a mini injury crisis)

This one isn't related to qatar but why did they give the next one to usa/Mexico/Canada when each and single one of them is more than capable enough to do it alone and is more than big enough to do so(it just seems to unnecessarily increase the travel times as each country is massively enough)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm still having gripes with the whole schedule thing.
We didn't move it to fall beforehand, why do it after there is a completely usable and workable air conditioning system, it just so unnecessary and fecks so badly with the league calendars.(could also lead to a mini injury crisis)

This one isn't related to qatar but why did they give the next one to usa/Mexico/Canada when each and single one of them is more than capable enough to do it alone and is more than big enough to do so(it just seems to unnecessarily increase the travel times as each country is massively enough)
Because FIFA are stupid, corrupt cnuts who have no interest in what is good for football or football fans.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I'm going to boycott the Qatar World Cup. I have been wobbling on this issue, because I'm in my mid 40s and there are not that many World Cups left for me to enjoy, but I am now following the example of a member of my family and I will boycott this World Cup. Cantona for me is the best United player in our history because of his sense of ethics, his heroism, his dark side, his talent, and the way he ended his career. I am glad to emulate the one ex United player who meant a lot to me when I was a teenager.

little.triangles

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I'm going to boycott the Qatar World Cup. I have been wobbling on this issue, because I'm in my mid 40s and there are not that many World Cups left for me to enjoy, but I am now following the example of a member of my family and I will boycott this World Cup. Cantona for me is the best United player in our history because of his sense of ethics, his heroism, his dark side, his talent, and the way he ended his career. I am glad to emulate the one ex United player who meant a lot to me when I was a teenager.
I am a good deal older than you and I agree with your stance on the World Cup and Eric’s of course! For me there is no World Cup this year .

ROFLUTION

I find this notion that you can't act or do yours because you've in the past has done something immoral quite ridiculous. Like Eric can't have a say because he's worn Nike in the past. Or that you can't do something unless you go all in.

This World Cup leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally. It's both the lives lost and the corrupt organisation who picked them that's just so wrong.

I'm not boycotting it fully, but I think I'll just be watching the games of my own nation Denmark + my favorite team Brazil

Maroon Lucifer

I find this notion that you can't act or do yours because you've in the past has done something immoral quite ridiculous. Like Eric can't have a say because he's worn Nike in the past. Or that you can't do something unless you go all in.

This World Cup leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally. I'm not boycotting it fully, but I think I'll just be watching the games of my own nation Denmark + my favorite team Brazil
Do you know if they will show any games on TV2? I mean they fired Brian Laudrup for promoting the WC, right? (I have TV2, that's why I ask)

Oldham

yeah really not excited for this world cup...
will try not to follow it (but not sure I'm strong enough :()

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it would've been slightly less appalling if it didn't interfere with league seasons. The fact that they had to move it to winter, thereby disrupting club football - all for a corrupt, non--footballing island nation to host a WC, is what is grating for many.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
It helps that Germany (and many others of the AAA teams) isn't in their prime right now but I decided some time ago to skip watching this. It's not that I didn't watch a dodgy WC before, a lot of them are questionable, but this really is the icing on the cake and an easy "red line" to draw. If viewership drops considerably the higher ups will take notice - otherwise I don't think anybody cares.

Honestly though: I'm still searching for a backdoor to watch the last round + the final as that's still somewhat interesting but there isn't one.

Reactions: Cheimoon

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I hate everything about it but unfortunately I’ll be watching with the world in a few weeks and so will all of you
I wouldn't be so presumptive

justsomebloke

Internationals have become so meaningless over the last decade or so. Feels like the general public couldn’t care less about it. Unless England actually won…

To disrupt every league so that it can be played in an accommodating climate as well as all the other caveats, is inexplicable.
Apparently it's to grow the game internationally. Just think of all the great players that will come out of Qatar over the next decades as a result of the inspirational boost from hosting the World Cup. Also, it'll make millions of potential fans in the Middle East aware of the World Cup, and of football generally. They wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.