Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You disagree with what? That it's sometimes done for the reasons I said?

As for "why not broaden the subject" In this case because it's a massive distraction from the subject at hand. There's plenty of threads in the CE section to talk about Tony Blair.

And "why boycott this but not that", who is doing that? Tag the people who are doing it and ask, I have no idea.
I disagree that it is a tool to avoid confronting the issue that is brought up.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Death of workers is deplorable, no one supports this. But to the boycotters please don’t just spray outrage into the atmosphere, put action behind it. Don’t watch the World Cup. Don’t visit Qatar or take your family on holiday to the UAE, no getaways to Dubai. Stand your ground and be firm in your outrage.
No one is stopping you personally from watching the world cup, but maybe if you don't want to hear opinions about boycotting the world cup, you shouldn't go into a thread about boycotting the world cup?

I can take you to the toilet and sit you on it, but I can't piss for you son

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
BBC not even showing the opening ceremony?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Infantino sitting right next to Mohammad Bone Saw. What a spectacle to kick things off.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I have tbh I haven't heard or seen this. I don't mean just this forum by the way. In a wider context as in media, social media and forums.
There has been quite a bit of criticism about the LIV Golf tour.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I simply can't believe "western people" voice any qualms about a world cup being hosted by a nation that bribed their way to it and the filthy rich people responsible for it had thousands of foreign workers die to make it happen under slave like conditions. Its hypocrisy gone mad!

Pintu

Shearer loves Saudi input into Newcastle, what a shocker.
Focusing on N'Castle when we welcomed it everywhere else is also a lot of BS. It took 20 years and the Invasion of Ukraine for people to open their eyes to who Abramovich is.... Not to forget Dubai's close relationship to Arsenal and of course Abu Dhabi's massive investments and dodgy deals with City...

Dr. StrangeHate

Dodged that question nicely.
Yup both Shearer and Lineker praise City and now Newcastle every week and here they are leading the talking points. So hypocritical, they haven't made a peep about KSA and Abu Dhabi ever.

Tarrou

Please answer the questions I posed. Does the UK have the moral right to lecture Qatar on human rights? Does the UK have clean hands?
probably not and I don’t think anyone would disagree that the UK has a shitty history and still today does shitty things - like most wealthy countries

but people on this forum are British and that shouldn’t mean they have no right to have an opinion - they are not responsible for the sins of their country

Qatar bribing their way to a World Cup host has put them in the spotlight and it stands to reason they will be scrutinised, especially when they organise things badly or exploit low income workers which is what is happening

phelans shorts

Focusing on N'Castle when we welcomed it everywhere else is also a lot of BS. It took 20 years and the Invasion of Ukraine for people to open their eyes to who Abramovich is.... Not to forget Dubai's close relationship to Arsenal and of course Abu Dhabi's massive investments and dodgy deals with City...
Literally none of these things were ignored at the time they happened.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
probably not and I don’t think anyone would disagree that the UK has a shitty history and still today does shitty things - like most wealthy countries

but people on this forum are British and that shouldn’t mean they have no right to have an opinion - they are not responsible for the sins of their country

Qatar bribing their way to a World Cup host has put them in the spotlight and it stands to reason they will be scrutinised, especially when they organise things badly or exploit low income workers which is what is happening
The issue then is really with FIFA.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Yeah, but why ruin a perfectly crafted strawman?
It’s so tiring seeing all of these bad faith arguments.
All I've ever heard from Lineker (and the likes) about City is the "wonderfull football" they play.
But that’s in 2021/22. Not 2002 or 2007 or whenever these happened. It’s fair to say that fatigue of the point has seen them not mentioned any more, when they still should (which is the entire point of sportswashing like this, for what it’s worth). That would be a reasonable point, the point you made however is totally fictional.

City were even rightly being called out the year before that when Thaksin Shinawatra bought them!

Pintu

Infantino sitting right next to Mohammad Bone Saw. What a spectacle to kick things off.
KSA will get one of the next WCs. 2030 or 2034... Their next arm deals with the UK and France will be conditioned on some lobbying in that matter. Like the way Sarkozy made Platini (and many other UEFA representatives) vote for Qatar back in 2010.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Death of workers is deplorable, no one supports this. But to the boycotters please don’t just spray outrage into the atmosphere, put action behind it. Don’t watch the World Cup. Don’t visit Qatar or take your family on holiday to the UAE, no getaways to Dubai. Stand your ground and be firm in your outrage.
Great post and that's the issue in society sadly, many people's morals drop to the floor quicker than a soap characters trousers when maintaining their stance would mean inconvenience to them.

Lineker making that rant while taking a paycheck from them was disgusting.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Please answer the questions I posed. Does the UK have the moral right to lecture Qatar on human rights? Does the UK have clean hands?
The UK cannot lecture anyone because the UK is not a conscious entity that speaks; it is a country, composed of people. The politicians and high profile people in the UK who are complaining about this do not care. They are just lying. They are pretending they care because, below them, there are quite a bit of people who do care. They care about this, and about many other things. You are conflating two different groups of people with different motivations into a single entity so that you can imply the entity is hypocritical.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Great post and that's the issue in society sadly, many people's morals drop to the floor quicker than a soap characters trousers when maintaining their stance would mean inconvenience to them.

Lineker making that rant while taking a paycheck from them was disgusting.
It's not a great post. The poster has constantly mocked the idea of boycotting, he's just being facetious because he's unable to comprehend that some people think differently to him

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's not a great post. The poster has constantly mocked the idea of boycotting, he's just being facetious because he's unable to comprehend that some people think differently to him
Fair enough I didn't know that bit.

But I stick by what I said in my post, nothing I find more galling than selective virtue signalling.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Which match do we think will see the first pitch invasion from a protestor? A Qatar game or one of the traditional "big" sides?
And what specifically will be protested. Could see an environmentalist nutter invading.

Lee565

All these bots, trolls, brain dead qatar apologists saying if you don't like don't watch it! Well that is great and all BUT the deceitful qatar regime have taken football away from us at a time it when club football should be being played

Boavista

Honour killings is not a Muslim thing it's an everybody thing. And it's dispicable.

The very terminology is islamophobic at worst and inflammatory at best.

I'm Muslim and I kill my wife if she has an affair "honour killing"

You, I don't know for sure but if you allow me, as an atheist kill your wife and it's jealousy at best.

Edit: some of the cases I've read about over the years under the honour killing headline in UK have been non Muslims, majority in fact. So a Sikh or a Hindu may have killed a family member but the focus always become muslims.
I agree honour killings aren't necessarily a Muslim thing, nor have a basis in Islam itself I believe, and I can see how the term might be arbitrarily applied in media which can be islamophobic. However the hypothetical example you provided isn't usually the context the term gets applied to.

There are plenty of scenarios and real cases where the descriptor "honour killing" is the most accurate, without the ambiguity of jealousy in adultery cases. Often it involves several family members planning or committing the crime, which removes that ambiguity from your example.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
People have really short memories, this is very much like the Ronaldo yells at cloud concept. Every world cup had massive complaints it's just that we are in the age of sensationalism and social media now. Please try to remember the below because it absolutely happened
Prior to the below world cups the outrage was

2018- Russia
racism, safety concerns, violence, anti LGBT, corruption

2014- Brazil
Corruption, starving country, health concerns, economy concerns why host world cup when struggling so much

2010-Africa
Safety, violence, corruption, economy concerns, cultural clash

2006 -Germany
This one goes a bit back but look up articles on Germany nazi ww2 do they really deserve the world cup? Is the return of Germany flag waving approriate considering history etc etc etc

2002- South Korea
This one was fine until the corruption claims flooded in with Korea. bribery

1998-France
This one was fine because 'Traditional Europe brah'

1994- USA
Despite massive success the initial reactions was 'why give it to USA when football home is Europe and USA is one of the very few countries that don't have football as a major sport? Will there be interest? Why give it to such a risky country (regarding interest level).. Articles were overflooding in Europe regarding lack of 'football' fans in the USA and how Americans don't understand football culture.

All this is reality and yet every world CUP end up the most watched and concentrated sporting event of the last 4 years. It's fine bros, entire countries still gonna stop over this tournament. You guys really think say Germans or Brazilians will care if it's Qatar if their teams go far?

Stookie

Nurse bell end
two of my games kick off at 10pm, and it’s winter so I doubt it’ll be that hot at that time

I’m wondering whether to risk bringing some vodka in though
That’s dodgy mate be careful, how would you do it? Surely theyll
Be checking for stuff like that?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
All this is reality and yet every world CUP end up the most watched and concentrated sporting event of the last 4 years. It's fine bros, entire countries still gonna stop over this tournament. You guys really think say Germans or Brazilians will care if it's Qatar if their teams go far?
Yes?

There were protests at basically every big club in Germany... Of course the country wouldn't turn a blind eye towards the NT, but I'm pretty sure you'd see a strong difference in pub/lic events and whatever success this edition may bring, it will always have a big asterisk.

Roane

That’s dodgy mate be careful, how would you do it? Surely theyll
Be checking for stuff like that?
This happens at old Trafford. I usually go with my son's. And the last time you went a fella walked over to me with one of those wand things and I took my keys out of my pocket to hold and show that was only metallic thing I had. He just smiled and said no I'm checking for alcohol. I laughed too as I'm a bearded Muslim bloke and said trust me alcohol isn't something I'd be bringing in. All in good cheer

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The UK cannot lecture anyone because the UK is not a conscious entity that speaks; it is a country, composed of people. The politicians and high profile people in the UK who are complaining about this do not care. They are just lying. They are pretending they care because, below them, there are quite a bit of people who do care. They care about this, and about many other things. You are conflating two different groups of people with different motivations into a single entity so that you can imply the entity is hypocritical.
Sounds reasonable on the surface. It's right to make a distinction between governments and people. However, one small point you're missing. What the average person cares and does not care about in a country is largely a product of the media (some might say propaganda) of that country. Hence in my posts previously, I referenced the media along with the governments and the authorities as part of the rigmarole.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yes FIFA is as corrupt as it comes. Has been for a long time now. Its why for me grass roots football is the one that interests me most.
And there are indeed a lot of people who are done with the pro game or the elite level at least because of all these issues. I can certainly respect that stance.