Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

MUnchies

I know english is not my first language, but ffs...
Ohhh so you are saying you already boycotted Fifa. My bad, missed the part where you said “which is the case in Qatar”

When you said the bribe wasn’t a big deal for you I assumed you were ok with fifa taking bribes.

Pickle85

What I don't really understand is that FIFA has (rightly) come under tonnes of criticism for their decision to award Qatar with the World Cup.

Everybody acknowledges that they are a corrupt organization who couldn't give a toss about human rights violations etc and will go wherever they can make the most money.

You can literally say anything you like about FIFA and nobody will jump to their defense.

I'm struggling to think of a good thing that anyone has ever said about FIFA (that wasn't FIFA PR) to be honest.

The difference between FIFA and Qatar (their partners in this edition) is that one side has a bunch of loyal defenders and the other doesn't which is why most of this conversation centers around the criticism of (and defence of) Qatar.
Great post. Nobody is jumping in to defend FIFA which is why there's not more back and forth on that. Everyone acknowledges that they're corrupt and not fit for purpose.

oneway

Qatar have done really well, it`s been a good world cup with even our England fans in good spirit excuses the pun. People out there have been impressed with work done by the Qataris.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
What I don't really understand is that FIFA has (rightly) come under tonnes of criticism for their decision to award Qatar with the World Cup.

Everybody acknowledges that they are a corrupt organization who couldn't give a toss about human rights violations etc and will go wherever they can make the most money.

You can literally say anything you like about FIFA and nobody will jump to their defense.

I'm struggling to think of a good thing that anyone has ever said about FIFA (that wasn't FIFA PR) to be honest.

The difference between FIFA and Qatar (their partners in this edition) is that one side has a bunch of loyal defenders and the other doesn't which is why most of this conversation centers around the criticism of (and defence of) Qatar.
You are absolutely correct.

Very odd, maybe down to a religious bias in some posters, sadly!?

Perhaps some are looking at it through that lens but not keen to admit that’s all it really comes down to.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Ohhh so you are saying you already boycotted Fifa. My bad, missed the part where you said “which is the case in Qatar”

When you said the bribe wasn’t a big deal for you I assumed you were ok with fifa taking bribes.
Compared to the other issues, bribes would not be a deal breaker for me.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Gotcha, didn’t know you haven’t seen a game yet.
No future world cups, Olympics (u23), club world cups etc for you?
I am not a fanatic who goes out of my way to be unpleasant and bore other people with the way I see things. My brother showed up at my place to watch portugal v uruguay, so I watched it. I had a brazilian friend over when they were playing serbia and when she asked me to have the game on the background I did it. My little cousins are collecting the panini stickers so I have bought a few packets for them.

You're going for the absolute purity angle because you know no one can rise to that standard. It's just a variation of the "yeah I bet you got stuff made in china". Of course I do, I earn minimum wage, I can't afford to go to expensive options for everything, I often have to buy the cheapest stuff and sadly it comes from places where people are exploited.

If in future competitions fifa fecks up this monumentally I will boycott it, but if for you it's "you're an hypocrite if you ever watch a footie match again" then I guess you win the argument.

MUnchies

[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean but accepting bribe from the devil
I am not a fanatic who goes out of my way to be unpleasant and bore other people with the way I see things. My brother showed up at my place to watch portugal v uruguay, so I watched it. I had a brazilian friend over when they were playing serbia and when she asked me to have the game on the background I did it. My little cousins are collecting the panini stickers so I have bought a few packets for them.

You're going for the absolute purity angle because you know no one can rise to that standard. It's just a variation of the "yeah I bet you got stuff made in china". Of course I do, I earn minimum wage, I can't afford to go to expensive options for everything, I often have to buy the cheapest stuff and sadly it comes from places where people are exploited.

If in future competitions fifa fecks up this monumentally I will boycott it, but if for you it's "you're an hypocrite if you ever watch a footie match again" then I guess you win the argument.
There is no arguments to be won here. Just trying to understand your point of view

I guess we see boycotting a little differently which is fine. For example if I am boycotting Balenciaga, I will not even send a single dollar on their items. If I make it public I am boycotting them but still go watch their fashion shows, buy their stuff then that's not boycotting to ME.

Let's just agree to disagree

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
FIFA didn't screw up, it's always been about PR. The head honchos don't care about any real causes in the world except the one that doesn't interfere with their money or better yet, one that can them richer.
FIFA screwed up. 15 out of the 22 people who voted for the 2022 World Cup host have faced criminal charges or been banned by Fifa. FIFA couldnt even elect an honest or credible selection committee.
Thats over 3/4s of their own selection committee, they screwed up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
FIFA screwed up. 15 out of the 22 people who voted for the 2022 World Cup host have faced criminal charges or been banned by Fifa. FIFA couldnt even elect an honest or credible selection committee.
From your perspective yes but from theirs ? They don't give a shit ultimately

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
For example if I am boycotting Balenciaga, I will not even send a single dollar on their items. If I make it public I am boycotting them but still go watch their fashion shows, buy their stuff then that's not boycotting to ME.
Well I can see it that way too for sure but realistically (if we want to compare it to FIFA) you shouldnt stop at Balenciaga (The World Cup) you should be boycotting Kering group (thanks google) and all their brands ( Gucci, Saint Laurent, Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Brioni, Boucheron, Pomellato, DoDo and Qeelin) etc right?

Plus any kind of industry magazine that works to promote any of these brands or any designer or model who works with these brands?

Probably should boycott any and all social media who these brands use to advertise/ promote /influence too just to be safe.

Now boycotting fashion houses is no skin off my nose as I've been apparently boycotting these guys my whole life without doing it but I wouldn't expect someone who's into fashion to boycott the complete industry due to the actions of one brand.

I don't think it's fair to expect someone who loves football to boycott international football ( which FIFA own basically) because they disagree with their actions (specifically the Qatar world cup).

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Well I can see it that way too for sure but realistically (if we want to compare it to FIFA) you shouldnt stop at Balenciaga (The World Cup) you should be boycotting Kering group (thanks google) and all their brands ( Gucci, Saint Laurent, Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Brioni, Boucheron, Pomellato, DoDo and Qeelin) etc right?

Plus any kind of industry magazine that works to promote any of these brands or any designer or model who works with these brands?

Probably should boycott any and all social media who these brands use to advertise/ promote /influence too just to be safe.
I’ve had Balenciaga ads come up right here on Redcafe… soooo I guess MUnchies will be off.

So long dude! Thanks for everything.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I’ve had Balenciaga ads come up right here on Redcafe… soooo I guess MUnchies will be off.

He's actually strengthened their brand recognition because I had no clue who they were until right now.

MUnchies

Did you go looking for the ad? You don’t even make sense but carry on

He's actually strengthened their brand recognition because I had no clue who they were until right now.
If that’s the case anyone talking bad about Qatar has strengthened their position then. Because a lot of people didn’t know the human right laws there.

It doesn’t make sense because talking bad about something doesn’t strengthen their brand if that was the case then Qatar is being strengthened?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There's no need to play Neymar, why risk it.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It doesn’t make sense because talking bad about something doesn’t strengthen their brand if that was the case then Qatar is being strengthened?
Well you didn't mention anything bad , just that you are boycotting?

I Googled the name and now I will recognize the brand in future?

I still don't know why you are boycotting (or if you actually are or if it's a hypothetical example)

Qatar used FIFA to strengthen it's brand recognition and as a consequence both come under some fire but I don't think they really care what people like me think, Qatar are far more known now than they were pre world cup they have hordes of people who will defend their actions (most with significantly more influence than me).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well you didn't mention anything bad , just that you are boycotting?

I Googled the name and now I will recognize the brand in future?

I still don't know why you are boycotting (or if you actually are or if it's a hypothetical example)

Qatar used FIFA to strengthen it's brand recognition and as a consequence it's come under some fire but I don't think it really cares what people like me think, they have hoards of people who will defend their actions (most with far more influence than me).
The moment the World Cup was given Qatar had what they wanted. As a silly example I remember having conversation at the time where people discovered that Qatar wasn't part of the UAE. The simple designation put Qatar on the map for many people which was key for a country that wants to be a touristic destination.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The moment the World Cup was given Qatar had what they wanted. As a silly example I remember having conversation at the time where people discovered that Qatar wasn't part of the UAE. The simple designation put Qatar on the map for many people which was key for a country that wants to be a touristic destination.
Agreed and when any criticism can be swatted away with "Well that's just their culture, respect it" along with accusations of hypocrisy (at best), xenophobia or islamophobia (at worst) then there isn't much for them to worry about really in the grand scheme of things.

MUnchies

I make sense, you just don’t understand.

Ads appear on the site - Balenciaga have advertised here.

Thus by your puritanical ‘Boycott every facet or you’re a hypocrite’ angle that you’ve insisted everyone else take when you’re fervently defending qatar, you shouldn’t be on here.
Whataboutism :lol: If I didn't go looking for said product why should I care if an ad popped up on here? Are Balenciaga paying Redcafe to advertise for them? if not, again your post makes no sense.

MUnchies

Exactly why I used that word specifically for that poster. I mean it was clear to see

It’s not whataboutism. I’m joining in a tangent that you yourself have gone on. I’m not derailing you onto another point - I’m keeping on your point.

You’ve posted defining what ‘proper boycotting’ is in your opinion. You’ve then freely stated that you boycott Balenciaga, and do so to an extreme extent.

I’ve then informed you, ON TOPIC, that Balenciaga have ads on the very site that you’re using to tell everyone how you boycott them.

By the logic of your own rantings, you should be off!

Or, stop being so pedantic and admit that ‘fully boycotting’ anything is very difficult to do in a day and age of multimedia that large corporations can and do penetrate so many aspects of…

Whataboutism would be you telling us all how you boycott Balenciaga, and me replying, ‘so do you also boycott Nike?’, or, ‘yeah but where was your phone made?’, etc. As you’ve done, endlessly while defending the Qatar regime.

Hope you can understand the concept now.
Go read my post again. I said 'for example if I boycott Balenciaga"
It was an example I just made to make a point.

How far is the straw from you? you are really trying to grasp at it

Fridge chutney

Whataboutism :lol: If I didn't go looking for said product why should I care if an ad popped up on here? Are Balenciaga paying Redcafe to advertise for them? if not, again your post makes no sense.
If Balenciaga ads are appearing on the site, then yes.

MUnchies

Because I'm curious how you think someone could effectively boycott something so global according to the standards you've defined before.
Say...
If you go to a barber shop and they put on the world cup, I am not saying walk out because you are boycotting it because you can't control what some else does.
If a Qatar 2022 ad shows up on your iPhone, switch to Samsung.
If your work puts up a world cup banner in the office, quit.
If your friends are discussing it in the group chat, leave group chat.

I am not saying any of the above.

You can only control what you do. If I go online searching Qatar 2022, changing the channel to watch a game, checking for scores, buying Qatar 2022 souvenirs, wearing Qatar 2022 merchandise then you are not boycotting because, these are things you can control yourself.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How so?

Are you saying that the Emir of Qatar wouldn't have the power to roll back these reforms the day after the World Cup has ended?

And a quick Google shows that Amnesty have reported that these changes haven't even been implemented fully yet.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...d-compensation-still-owed-as-world-cup-looms/
Happens all the time in that part of the world. And even if it isn't the improvements are marginal and probably largely ignored. Or there will be a workaround. It would also be a brave person that complained if the law was being ignored.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You can only control what you do. If I go online searching Qatar 2022, changing the channel to watch a game, checking for scores, buying Qatar 2022 souvenirs, wearing Qatar 2022 merchandise then you are not boycotting because, these are things you can control yourself.
Erm? I can search Ukraine war and read about it without being pro-Russian or that giving them any money or support.

I'm not even boycotting (I don't think) but I have seen results in the press even though I haven't watched 1 minutes of any game and that doesn't give FIFA/WC any money or support at all.

stevoc

That's a great discussion to have if the World Cup is about to be hosted or is currently being hosted in a country that is invading/bombing another country..

Isn't that what you said? The. next host is the USA along with Mexico and Canada. It has been awarded already.
Yes about to be hosted as in it's about to begin in a few weeks/months. But it's in 2026 mate this is 2022 there's a World Cup going on right now. I'm sure there'll be a dedicated thread/s for it.

stevoc

Happens all the time in the part of the world. And even if it isn't the improvements are marginal and probably largely ignored. Or there will be a workaround. It would also be a brave person that complained if the law was being ignored.
Yep it seems like there is/was in the case of one of the laws according to Amnesty back in 2020.

The two reforms were first announced by the Emir of Qatar in October 2019 and were signed into law today.

The first will abolish the ‘No-objection certificate’ which prevents migrant workers from changing jobs without the permission of their employer. Under the new law, workers will be able to leave their job by providing a one-month written notice if they have worked for the employer for less than two years, or a two month notice if they have worked for them for longer. The worker will not have to pay these costs, and the transfer request would be processed by the Ministry of Labour.

However, the reforms have not removed the ability of employers to file criminal ‘absconding’ charges against workers who leave their job without permission. Employers will also remain responsible for renewing and cancelling their workers’ residence permits, thus retaining considerable power over their employees.
And this is also from Amnesty last month.

Qatar’s overhaul of its labour system since 2017 has led to some noticeable improvements for the country’s two million migrant workers – hundreds of thousands of whom have been engaged in projects essential to the World Cup. However, a lack of effective implementation and enforcement continues to undermine their impact on migrant workers. Thousands of workers across all projects are still facing issues such as delayed or unpaid wages, denial of rest days, unsafe working conditions, barriers to changing jobs, and limited access to justice, while the deaths of thousands of workers remain uninvestigated.

“Although Qatar has made important strides on labour rights over the past five years, it’s abundantly clear that there is a great distance still to go. Thousands of workers remain stuck in the familiar cycle of exploitation and abuse thanks to legal loopholes and inadequate enforcement,” said Steve Cockburn, Amnesty International’s Head of Economic and Social Justice.

Cantonagotmehere

That's wild.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Barriers to changing works is just word salad. If I'm on specific working visa it'll be subject to my employment still valid. You can't simply go in and quit your job to find another job. My visa would be nulled. Happens all over the world yes?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is true but let's not pretend that the Qatar bid was the only one to be tainted with curruption - obviously the same people voted for Russia 2018 for a start

This level of corruption has been going on at FIFA for decades and it's absolutely certain that all recent WC hosts were heavily involved in bribes and dodgy dealings

Germany 2006
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-fifa-germany-idUKKCN0SA11A20151016

South Africa 2010
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-live-sepp-blatter-jack-warner-10302881.html

oneway

Say...
If you go to a barber shop and they put on the world cup, I am not saying walk out because you are boycotting it because you can't control what some else does.
If a Qatar 2022 ad shows up on your iPhone, switch to Samsung.
If your work puts up a world cup banner in the office, quit.
If your friends are discussing it in the group chat, leave group chat.

I am not saying any of the above.

By the time the world cup is over people will have forgotten all about Qatar, it`s been a great world cup and i for one am glad it went there. If England win it the whole country will be celebrating.

Reactions: Rood

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This is true but let's not pretend that the Qatar bid was the only one to be tainted with curruption - obviously the same people voted for Russia 2018 for a start

This level of corruption has been going on at FIFA for decades and it's absolutely certain that all recent WC hosts were heavily involved in bribes and dodgy dealings

Germany 2006

South Africa 2010
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-live-sepp-blatter-jack-warner-10302881.html
I havent pretended there hasnt been corruption before.

Pintu

Germany 2006

South Africa 2010
Not to forget this one.

Trump threatens to punish countries that don’t support North American World Cup bid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...at-dont-support-north-american-world-cup-bid/