Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

RedStarUnited

To those who did boycott it, how difficult was it for you? I was surprised during the early stages, that it was quite easy. I only got tempted a bit during the last few games.
I am equally curious if you or anyone who boycotted it apply the same logic to other parts of life. Ie do you avoid electronic products made in factories with bad human rights records(Apple). Do you avoid clothes manufactured by companies using sweatshops?

And im not trying to be funny by the way, im genuinely curious.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I am equally curious if you or anyone who boycotted it apply the same logic to other parts of life. Ie do you avoid electronic products made in factories with bad human rights records(Apple). Do you avoid clothes manufactured by companies using sweatshops?

Partly. If I can choose, I usually buy the less problematic product. There are also companies I try to avoid. But again, not possible to do everything right here. So I’m just trying my best.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Yeah, whenever possible. It's impossible to be 100% consistent and you are relying on the media to highlight certain things at certain times. I try not to spend money to the benefit of people I don't agree with. It's really tricky and there's always some twat trying to undermine activists because they have a latte. You shouldn't have to abstain from society to make a stand or to genuinely want it better.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This World Cup should be remembered for its racism. But Qatar is not the victim
Pete Pattisson

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ed-for-its-racism-but-qatar-is-not-the-victim
Hang on though Moses… does this journo work for a ‘Western media company’…?

If so, whatever she’s writing must be discounted. Unlike the pro Qatar media - because that’s objective and unbiased :drool:

Because you see, she has an agenda and something to gain, whereas Qatar clearly do not.

Sure it’s not clear what her agenda actually is… and beyond being a cackling Islamophobe I can’t see what on Earth herself or her employers would get out of this angle.

And sure, the Guardian has decades and decades behind it of highlighting social injustice and calling out Islamophobia, including calling out the very leaders of Britain itself for being Islamophobic…

But be sure, whenever reporting on the fair and just methods of the perfect and gracious Qatar - the Guardian becomes racist.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It added that the tournament "will be remembered by all of the world's peoples, and future generations will be taught how the Arabs have succeeded in astounding the world with messages of brotherhood, tolerance and solidarity".
Let's all give them a hand for their tolerance.

NotThatSoph

How many English boycotters are readjusting their moral compasses now?
I don't believe for a second that any of the pearl-clutchers really are.
Shoutout to the boycotters; you're the real goats. You can keep your heads held high from now on and stay absolutely silent whenever anyone discusses the greatest World Cup final ever played.
I hope you had a great time following the World Cup, I know millions did.

This choice of trying to riducule people who made a personal decision not to watch it, though, is weird as feck. What is it that you're trying to accomplish? Is it some sort of insecurity, you trying to justify yourself? I so you don't have to do that, it's fine. No one's blaming you for watching, you've done nothing wrong.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't actively boycott the WC (because I didn't think it was particularly useful or effective) but I must admit I lost interest pretty quickly and stopped watching sometime in the R16.

I caught France drawing the final when I was walking with my wife to run an errand and thought about catching the OT once we were done, but then lost interest.

r1z3mu

I did boycott it. But have to share a little secret with all of you - didn't miss one game. :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This World Cup should be remembered for its racism. But Qatar is not the victim
Pete Pattisson

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ed-for-its-racism-but-qatar-is-not-the-victim
Some very valid issues raised here, Qatar need to modernise for sure on workers rights - some signs of improvement already but a long way to go. Similar situation exists across the Gulf and further afield so a much wider problem than just the World Cup

Not sure I'd call it racism though, definitely some kind of caste system with a clear underclass.
There are plenty of middle class and wealthy migrants living in Qatar, even from Indian subcontinent - not sure that they would be subjected to the same 'racism'

I wont be remembering this World Cup for its racism - I'll be remembering it for the football !

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Joe Lycett defends himself after Qatar hypocrisy charge

Joe Lycett has defended himself after being accused of hypocrisy over his criticism of David Beckham.
The comedian recently pretended to shred £10,000 in protest of Beckham's links with World Cup host country Qatar, where it is illegal to be gay.
But the Sun highlighted Lycett had been paid for gigs in the country himself earlier in his career.
Lycett argued he never tried to hide the gigs and sarcastically referenced the "spotless morality" of the Sun.
He added he was paid "a few hundred quid" for the shows in 2015 via a UK comedy promoter, and said he would have reconsidered playing the gigs if an equivalent high-profile comedian had shredded money in protest.

Joe Lycett defends himself after Qatar hypocrisy charge - BBC News

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I didn't actively boycott the WC (because I didn't think it was particularly useful or effective) but I must admit I lost interest pretty quickly and stopped watching sometime in the R16.

I caught France drawing the final when I was walking with my wife to run an errand and thought about catching the OT once we were done, but then lost interest.
Same here. I didn't bother with a fair number of games during the group stages and missed both semis. Great final though.