Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The hypocritical bastard is from Italy, where women didn't gain full suffrage until the 1940s. He's in no position to call for women's rights in Iran.
To paraphrase something posted earlier..

He wants to have eaten his Big Mac (the oppression of womens rights in Italy until the 1940s) and enjoyed it while telling Iran that they cant enjoy their Big Mac (their current oppression of womens rights), the fella is a total Hamburglar.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
As explained multiple times, I think it’s absolutely fair enough for you to spend your time deploying this odd, ‘yeah but’, take on human rights abuses as long as you’re being consistent with it on literally every subject - if not, it makes you a hypocrite and renders the points you’re attempting to make appear as petty whataboutisms - as with the ridiculous cartoon reply you posted of the EU gagging Ozil that @Synco succinctly dismantled.

That was something you posted in response to the German players making a brilliant gesture on being banned by qatar and fifa from expressing a simple message of solidarity with the LGBT community while playing in a country that has barbaric, evil attitudes toward that community.

Did you disagree with the sentiment of the German players’ gesture?

Do you support qatar and FIFA’s stance? If so, great, we can debate.

If however your point in such an example is simply a petty whataboutism, then you’re gonna be called out on it. I’m sorry if that bothers you or you genuinely can’t understand why it’s viewed as so, but rather than going ‘round in circles, or doubling down like some kind of conversational turd that simply won’t flush away, you’d be better just to accept that there’s nuanced debate, and then there’s pedantic whataboutisms, and the latter is a waste of everyone’s time.
It's not 'yeah but', it's 'yeah and''. Not sure how many times I have to repeat myself before you take your fingers out of your ears.

Secondly, I didn't even post the cartoon, but frankly, I'm not surprised you didn't realize that. Regardless, I have no problem with the protest by the German NT, nor do I support Qatar laws or policies on LGBT rights, but I do think discussions about the hypocrisy and the over-the-top criticism of the West towards Qatar is fair game in this thread and not a deflection. I'm repeating myself and you're just reading what you want to read at this point.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It's not 'yeah but', it's 'yeah and''. Not sure how many times I have to repeat myself before you take your fingers out of your ears.

Secondly, I didn't even post the cartoon, but frankly, I'm not surprised you didn't realize that. Regardless, I have no problem with the protest by the German NT, nor do I support Qatar laws or policies on LGBT rights, but I do think discussions about the hypocrisy and the over-the-top criticism of the West towards Qatar is fair game in this thread and not a deflection. I'm repeating myself and you're just reading what you want to read at this point.
Yes! I realised that after posting and meant to go back and edit it to - ‘argued for two pages over the cartoon’s relevance in the thread’ but got sidetracked by work.

Doesn’t really matter anyways you spent fecking ages arguing the case for the cartoon with Synco so the point stands.

At the end of the day, I feel you’re whatabouting, and you don’t - we’re obviously not gonna find common ground so let’s agree to disagree.

You’re free to carry on saying ‘but what about xyz’, and I’ll call it out as whataboutism if I think it is!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Still not watched a game. Still not sure if I'm boycotting or just disinterested.

ROFLUTION

I tried semi-boycotting and only watch Denmark and Brazil, but sometimes I watch 10-20 minutes of a game if it has an interesting narrative/potential for big moments. But I often find I have little interest. The games are probably alright, but the scenes are just whatever.

Many people dont realize we might be witnessing the future of football here. At least on club level.

With Liverpool and United on the market, most top english clubs could end up being sportswash clubs, as Glazers possibly will sell to the highest bid which could be an oil state. Watching the World Cup, for me, is like being half way in that proces of total oligarch/state owned/richman ownership of the top football clubs. I think that’s why I get disinterested.

Pintu

It will be interesting to follow how FIFA deals with this. It used to be a big controversy for footballers to show any kind of solidarity to the Palestinian kids.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It will be interesting to follow how FIFA deals with this. It used to be a big controversy for footballers to show any kind of solidarity to the Palestinian kids.

There was a protestor in the game who ran around with a Palestinian flag too.

dinostar77

So what? They couldn't obviously threaten any countries like some others do.
Theres other ways to project strength than just militarially. They own more london real eatate than any other country.

Besides they have their hands dirty in plenty of middle east conflicts and the cold war between iran and saudi.

EU are now very very reliant on qatar for LNG. They are going to get alot richer very quickly and we are all paying to make them richer.

They will have a huge infuence behind the scenes on the world stage.

Foxbatt

Theres other ways to project strength than just militarially. They own more london real eatate than any other country.

Besides they have their hands dirty in plenty of middle east conflicts and the cold war between iran and saudi.

EU are now very very reliant on qatar for LNG. They are going to get alot richer very quickly and we are all paying to make them richer.

They will have a huge infuence behind the scenes on the world stage.
Good for them .

OldSchoolManc

How many English boycotters are readjusting their moral compasses now?
Still should be nowhere near Qatar for a World Cup.
They’ve stolen it with bribes.
Even Qatar are regretting it now with the harsh spotlight on their medieval ways.
Freedom for all sexes!
Not watched a single minute on any channel that registers it.
They have failed miserably to sportswash.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
How many English boycotters are readjusting their moral compasses now?
Im not English but I havent watched a game.
I know I am missing out on a massive amount of great football and great moments but I just havent been inversted in this World Cup. First time its happened since i first watched a world cup in 1974.
It should never have been given to Qatar in the first place.
I thought long and hard about this before I made the decision not to watch. I dont care if others watch, all of my friends are totally into it and I have a couple of friends in Qatar now. My own personal decision is mine to make but I am perfectly at ease with it. I havent told or asked others to boycott it, i dont expect anyone else to. My moral compass is my own and I have no judgement on those who are watching and enjoying it.

If English fans who because England are progressing decide to now watch then so be it. They made their positions clear early on and even if it looks like a double standard now one thing has been achieved and that is the very well publicised issues with this WC and those debates in the future will have some impact on coming decisions. Most likely for the betterment of things. Sometimes protests even when short lived can have an impact.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Still should be nowhere near Qatar for a World Cup.
They’ve stolen it with bribes.
Even Qatar are regretting it now with the harsh spotlight on their medieval ways.
Freedom for all sexes!
Not watched a single minute on any channel that registers it.
They have failed miserably to sportswash.
Quality of post sums up your average boycotter. :lol:

shamans

I know I am missing out on a massive amount of great football and great moments but I just havent been inversted in this World Cup. First time its happened since i first watched a world cup in 1974.
I thought long and hard about this before I made the decision not to watch. I dont care if others watch, all of my friends are totally into it and I have a couple of friends in Qatar now. My own personal decision is mine to make but I am perfectly at ease with it. I havent told or asked others to boycott it, i dont expect anyone else to. My moral compass is my own and I have no judgement on those who are watching and enjoying it.

If English fans who because England are progressing decide to now watch then so be it. They made their positions clear early on and even if it looks like a double standard now one thing has been achieved and that is the very well publicised issues with this WC and those debates in the future will have some impact on coming decisions. Most likely for the betterment of things. Sometimes protests even when short lived can have an impact.
If only it was just that. In reality not contributing to what is essentially a bridging of the game (that's what world sport is all about) is what you're missing out on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

What did you think of 1978 with Videla's Argentina?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If only it was just that. In reality not contributing to what is essentially a bridging of the game (that's what world sport is all about) is what you're missing out on.
Oh good grief if you believe that bullshit then I cant help you.

shamans

Oh good grief if you believe that bullshit then I cant help you.
bullshit? Have you ever bothered to look into what the whole point of sport is? Why do we even as viewers participate in it? We aren't making any money off of it.

Consider what it means. This world cup has opened the doors to middle east/north Africa that they never had before. They couldn't have dreamed of attending a world cup game. Now many have. They'll go back home, take those stories with them.

Pintu

That can’t be real?!
If it is then Sunak is even more of a money is more important than morals gobshite than I thought was possible.
Well Twitter says it’s real and that the account belongs to the UK government….

But why do you think congratulating Qatar on Twitter is any worse than all the other things his government is doing helping other criminal regimes?

OldSchoolManc

Well Twitter says it’s real and that the account belongs to the UK government….

But why do you think congratulating Qatar on Twitter is any worse than all the other things his government is doing helping other criminal regimes?
I see very little that is acceptable from this fascist government.
Why a revolution hasn’t already started is a mystery.
People too happy being serfs.