Brand first, football second - This is the problem

Greck

I don't think ANYONE says that Mourinho is faultless - not even me. What we are saying is that another manager is unlikely to do significantly better under the same set up.
Then let me rephrase it. A large degree of fault for our stumbles this season lie at his door. Can't lose to derby and say "I was only allowed 300mil instead of 400m"

RedDevil-85

Is it Woodwards fault we are being outplayed at OT by Derby and Wolverhampton? No.
Is it his fault we are dropping a shitload of points against newly promoted teams? No.
Is it his fault we can only seem to play good football for 45min? No.

Thats all on Mourinho and his terrible brand of football,he doesnt seem capable of motivating the players.
Mourinho is a huge problem and has spent an absolute fortune on players he wanted and he fails at getting the best out of them.

SirAF

Ageist
Then let me rephrase it. A large degree of fault for our stumbles this season lie at his door. Can't lose to derby and say "I was only allowed 300mil instead of 400m"
Absolutely agree, but has he or any other fans said that?

Jamie Shawcross

After all we spent how are we going to whine about not spending an extra 100m after getting outplayed by Derby and Wolves? Don't know how some Jose apologists aren't even ashamed to do so. Woodward isn't faultless but saying Jose is faultless is borderline delusion. If we only lost to teams that outspent us it would be a different case
I haven't seen many people saying Jose is faultless mate

Jamie Shawcross

Is it Woodwards fault we are being outplayed at OT by Derby and Wolverhampton? No.
Is it his fault we are dropping a shitload of points against newly promoted teams? No.
Is it his fault we can only seem to play good football for 45min? No.

Thats all on Mourinho and his terrible brand of football,he doesnt seem capable of motivating the players.
Mourinho is a huge problem and has spent an absolute fortune on players he wanted and he fails at getting the best out of them.
The problem is much bigger and deep rooted than our performance against wolves and derby or Jose relationship with some players. Sacking Mourinho won't solve anything in my opinion, we just get a new manager with a different set of problems

Greck

Absolutely agree, but has he or any other fans said that?
Said it in those exact words or repeatedly implied it? Take a trip to the Woodward thread after a loss to a bottomfeeder and you'll get your answer

Minimalist

I don't think Woodward cares about results or fans despair so long as hes signing sponsorship deals with vietnamese dental floss products etc.

Mourinho is not THE problem. Its much much bigger.
I'll properly respond to this now (but it's pretty much for the Woodward thread as I said before): I think it's clear he does. He sacked Moyes and Van Gaal when they fell outside the top four. For all the talk about the financial problems from that scenario - it also signals we're not meeting expectations for club like ours. So I don't know how you or anyone else can say he doesn't care about results. I think he's just too bloody patient (refuses to jump the gun) and has wasted a couple of seasons at least since Ferguson retired. He didn't become the financial expert he is by making 'rash' decisions (you can debate what is rash all day).

I also don't understand why the club should not care about our brand. Every other bloody club cares about their brand, including the club breaking records last season. Our brand is what makes our club so famous across the planet and it (in combination with our romantic history) is what keeps United such a huge and talked about club despite our recent struggles.

I imagine he does care but it's not his fcuking job to win titles. He's hired two managers with good/excellent CVs and he's provided them with transfers. What else does he have to do that's of top priority?

Do you reckon he sits watching the team every week (both home and away) because he just cares about the financials? I mean we all love to laugh at his expressions so we can at least acknowledge he's there pretty much every match watching on.

Hughie77

Utd dropped the football club off there badge in 2000 I think 18 yrs ago, branding Manchester United, it global massive , SAF made us this massive, the powers that be now run the club a business first, football 2nd, last season , everyone was happy 2nd in league FA cup final..
This season bad start, ok only 2 losses, but way off the pace, and I guess as long as there's European football champions league , decent cup run, every sponsor is seeing there logos, money money. Results for fans, football to be enjoyed, winning games all but gone in last few seasons. I haven't been to OT for a few yrs, but I bet there's even more people with cameras taking pics rather than watching the football..

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I'll properly respond to this now (but it's pretty much for the Woodward thread as I said before): I think it's clear he does. He sacked Moyes and Van Gaal when they fell outside the top four. For all the talk about the financial problems from that scenario - it also signals we're not meeting expectations for club like ours.
I totally disagree. The only reason Moyes and LVG were sacked by Woodward is because the club missed out on CL money. He only sacked them for that reason in my opinion. Woodward is a money man, that is the only reason the Glazers appointed him as CEO.

He is here to gain sponsorship deals, to increase the clubs value, to make money for the Glazers and to satisfy investors.

theREDMAN

I don't think its even up for debate mate. I think Woodward and the owners now realise that we don't even need to win things to remain profitable and a gargantuan brand. I would be interested to see what their actual 'targets' are for the team. I worry we are just the new Arsenal.
Facts are if we get top 4 the owners are happy. The Glazers don't give a rip about their American football team, why would they be obsessed with United? It is an INVESTMENT for them. Our club is a business first now. If we miss top 4 this year, watch how much we invest for the new manager this summer to get us back into the Champions League places. It is not what this amazing club deserves, but it is what we have. We could somewhat deal with this if it wasn't for the fact that even the Scousers are investing and looking to win the league now. Something has to change and quick or we will just be the next huge club living in the past.

AndyJ1985

There seems to be a new problem cropping up every day. We should make an advent calendar with each of our problems behind the 25 windows. Then gift it to people you hate

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The two go hand-in-hand. Woodward is oft portrayed as a money man but I'm certain he's just as much a fan as we are. The problem is that he is stuck between a rock and a hard place and he's not a hard man.

Someone

Something
Fergie had to deal with the glazers and at a harder time than this, but he adapted to change and tried to make the best out of the situation. Fergie never complained about the lack of investment and always backed his teams to challenge regardless to transfers. Also we're no different than any of the other top european clubs in that regard.

My only issue with the powers that be right now is the lack of clear vision. Woody thought that hiring a top manager and supporting him in the market would work, but mourinho was never a right fit for the club, nor were van gaal or moyes. Right now we keep rebuilding the squad after every managerial change, as each one came with a different philosophy, and this is where we lack the vision.

We need a manager that fits the club in terms of football and attitude, someone who'll build the team in a way that allows any successor to do well.

flappyjay

Derby and Brighton losses have nothing to do with how much the club focuses on the brand. It's all Jose there.

tjb

Our problem has nothing to do with brand. We have constantly recruited badly while shelling alot of money in transfers and wages,and we do not have any squad or management stability with clear vision.

el3mel

No one is saying Mourinho is faultless, in fact I already want him gone now, but we're trying to look at the bigger picture and see what is next. This is much better than burying our heads in sand and convincing ourselves we get Zidane tomorrow and we go to win the league. We previously thought the full problem lies at Moyes and LVG doors and nothing was solved by them leaving. They both still deserved to leave as much as Mourinho deserves now, but it doesn't mean the club is great and well run while managers have been the full problem. We're sacking managers but leaving other problems unsolved.

How is that hard to grasp ?

tjb

After all we spent how are we going to whine about not spending an extra 100m after getting outplayed by Derby and Wolves? Don't know how some Jose apologists aren't even ashamed to do so. Woodward isn't faultless but saying Jose is faultless is borderline delusion. If we only lost to teams that outspent us it would be a different case

I think the problem is who we are buying and why we are buying them. Falcao, Di maria,Pogba, Schweinsteiger and Sanchez....alot of it had to do with signing a brand player without figuring out how they would fit into our set up. Jose is not blameless in this either, the Pogba signing was so unplanned. Its clear that he aimed to turn Pogba into a more box to box midfielder,and quickly realized how impossible that task was, we could easily have saved that money spent on Pogba, bought a better centre back, and another midfielder with a much cheaper price.

tjb

If it’s multi faceted, why shouldn’t we fix all of the problems? One step at a time. It starts with a coach who plays dreadful football and seemingly can’t get anything out of this squad he’s been managing for two seasons now.

Still no idea why you thought you needed you’re own thread. It’s not much different from what’s already posted elsewhere.
He is right though. But i would plan a complete restructure. Sacking Jose, bringing in a recruitment officer who works hand in hand with the manager, and hiring a manager willing to adopt the tactical and moral values of the club. In addition selling both Pogba and Martial would help in spelling a new era at the club.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It is no news that United is the biggest 'brand' in world football, but to me it is no so evident that the football has become secondary to our revenue and commercial interests. The unprecedented success of SAF both on the field and commercially has created an absolute behemoth of a brand, but the problem is we have figures who have latched onto what he has built and are milking it for everything it is worth. The Glazers, Woodward etc. I am not going to say the clubs hierarchy haven't backed the manager because they evidently have, but I think it is obvious that their priorities lie with the balance sheet and the revenue side of things, and now it seems all they're concerned about on the field is qualifying for Champions League football and protecting the whiter than white brand of United. When the club is run by people who couldn't care less about the style of play or whether we are winning trophies, and only about profits and hitting certain targets, then the entire club will feel it, and we are feeling it now. Jose is feeling it (his comments about no longer being a manager, but only a coach), the squad is feeling it and us the fans are feeling it more than anyone. Ferguson made no secret of the fact that the key factor of his continued success was the total control he had of every aspect of the club, Jose has and never will be given that, nor will any other manager again at this Company...sorry, 'Club'. It is too easy to blame the manager for our current state, but to me its a much bigger problem than that. The DNA of our club has changed, we are no longer a football giant, we are a corporate giant and as long as we are making profits, nothing will change. We need total overhaul from starting at the top, but I worry that is not going to happen until we start losing money, and without intending to be totally doom and gloom, its a lose lose situation for us as fans.

I don't think Woodward cares about results or fans despair so long as hes signing sponsorship deals with vietnamese dental floss products etc.

Same as it ever was.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I believe United are gearing the business towards the high performance fan and rightly so. It's a 5 year project and will eventually yield a giant transfer kitty. I've seen the science and research behind the plan and it shows this to be a win-win-win situation.

Patrick08

That's what Lvg accused us off as well. Its pretty eveident in how woodwards conducting transfer windows.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I believe United are gearing the business towards the high performance fan and rightly so. It's a 5 year project and will eventually yield a giant transfer kitty. I've seen the science and research behind the plan and it shows this to be a win-win-win situation.
Explain please?

beedoubleyou

I don't think ANYONE says that Mourinho is faultless - not even me. What we are saying is that another manager is unlikely to do significantly better under the same set up.
How can they be expected to succeed at Manchester United? Mourinho should be applauded for even managing to field eleven players considering he's only got the two most expensive players in the country and only spent a pathetic £400 million.

United have spent £700 million with two managers over four (?) seasons. How could the team possibly be expected to succeed?

klsv

If it's brand first, then we're doing a pretty shitty job too, to be fair. The Adventures of Paul and Jose is just one of the commercial and public relation catastrophes. We're going to start missing out on sponsorship deals soon i stuff like this continues.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing makes that theory unrealitistic, the wage bill. If they didn't care, they wouldn't spend that much on wages particularly when it's not spent on players with particularly high profile, these players don't contribute to the brand of the club, it's the club that contributes to their brand. The reality is that we simply made poor managerial choices, the structure of the club is seemingly still built for SAF who isn't here anymore and no one has the abilities to fill that space, as long as the club doesn't adapt its structure to his current reality, we will most likely underperform.

SirAF

Ageist
How can they be expected to succeed at Manchester United? Mourinho should be applauded for even managing to field eleven players considering he's only got the two most expensive players in the country and only spent a pathetic £400 million.

United have spent £700 million with two managers over four (?) seasons. How could the team possibly be expected to succeed?
Completely missing the point. Great sarcasm, would read again.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Never understood these arguments. Woodward and owners are not idiots to believe ManUtd will retain brand value if they ignore football side and without on pitch success. I know woodward said something different but he won't say Manutd will fall into obscurity if we don't win trophies in investors call.
If anything, our lack of success is an unfortunate indicator that it is indeed possible to grow the brand and retain a position close to the global elite in that regard, with little sporting success to show for it. As long as you are in the CL, I reckon woodward is happy.

beedoubleyou

Completely missing the point. Great sarcasm, would read again.
Spell out your point again then. Massive transfers and massive wages to achieve the same success as Spurs. That doesn't make business sense. Neither does hiring one of the most expensive managers available and firing two managers (at great expense) who were achieving the success the board have apparently settled for.

Lentwood

Never understood these arguments. Woodward and owners are not idiots to believe ManUtd will retain brand value if they ignore football side and without on pitch success. I know woodward said something different but he won't say Manutd will fall into obscurity if we don't win trophies in investors call.
Nobody is saying the Glazers/Woodward would allow us to fade into obscurity but let me frame it this way for you;

Scenario 1: JM identifies we will need to spend £300m to have a realistic chance of overtaking City this season. The additional revenue for winning the league (as opposed to finishing top 4) is about £20m in prize money

Scenario 2: Don’t listen to Jose, don’t spend the money, scrape into 4th and save £250m on transfer fees.

I think I know what George Soros is pushing for and guess what, I bet George Soros doesn’t even know who Derby are or what the Carabao Cup is so I highely doubt they give a monkeys about the debacle the other night

Its been happening for 15yrs, it’s been happening infront of our eyes. This is not a benefit of hindshight - the alarm bells have been ringing for years!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What do you expect when your CEO has a strong background in commercial and financial activities but little to none in footballing? It was always going to be this way if you didn't appoint a DoF or someone to assist Woodward during his early tenure. The fact that nobody did means that he's still struggling in certain aspects of the job while excelling at what we already knew he was excellent at. A DoF should be an immediate installation at the club as they're not just involved with transfers but the overall club footballing ethos from top to bottom. That wavelength is paramount to have and is why United were so successful underneath SAF, everyone at the club was together and a unit. It doesn't need to be another SAF machine, it just needs to re-find a singular identity that everyone follows.

Ether

The idea is that the club have prioritised the commercial side in recent years is interesting hypothesis. Especially considering the fact that although United have been ahead of the curve in terms of sponsorship, they were quite late when it comes to social media. City joined Twitter in 2008, Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool joined in 2009; United didn't have an official club account until 2012. I remember reading that Sir Alex was quite resistant to that side of the game, so maybe that's contributed to the malaise that's set in around the club. It doesn't even have to be a conscious decision to say "we're a footballing giant, won it 20 times so let's focus on becoming a corporate behemouth", but if you take your eye off the ball slightly it can have an impact. Winning might still be the main priority for United but in Sir Alex's pomp it was the only priority.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
PS - being a 'whisker away' from winning something counts for nothing in my eyes.
I have always been bewildered by this "you are either first or last" logic.

A lot of people mocked the Belgians for celebrating finishing third in the WC. Yes, they did worde than the finalists, but they also did better than the other 29 sides... Not to mention the ones who did not qualify.

By the same logic, Liverpool had a better 2017/18 CL run than all sides in Europe bar one... Or you think they did similarly to United, given that neither side won the competition?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think you underestimate our brand strength. I think we could go a decade easily without a trophy and still be in profit. Look how long Arsenal have been profitable for. They always were a good 'business' but the football was suffering
Correct on all points.
We have already failed to win the league for 5-6 years and the result of that is that we are the biggest (financially) team in the country. I think that we could fail to win the league for another 6 years and we'd still remain the biggest financial powerhouse in the league.

I think that we are following the Arsenal model of top 4.

RooneyLegend

Maybe this is true. Maybe that's why Woodward is content with what's happening and doesn't seem worried in the least. A CEO worth his salt would be asking questions right about now as to why we've spent 400 million quid and still don't look close to being among the elite teams in Europe. Woodward can't continue in this role, he let's coaches get away with murder and it's not helpful to our cause.

Mainoldo

What set up? 400m warchest for 2years. Best training facilities bar city. A club Excecutitive who leaves you to manage the team. Yes terrible job to have.

Eric's Seagull

It is no news that United is the biggest 'brand' in world football, but to me it is no so evident that the football has become secondary to our revenue and commercial interests. The unprecedented success of SAF both on the field and commercially has created an absolute behemoth of a brand, but the problem is we have figures who have latched onto what he has built and are milking it for everything it is worth. The Glazers, Woodward etc. I am not going to say the clubs hierarchy haven't backed the manager because they evidently have, but I think it is obvious that their priorities lie with the balance sheet and the revenue side of things, and now it seems all they're concerned about on the field is qualifying for Champions League football and protecting the whiter than white brand of United. When the club is run by people who couldn't care less about the style of play or whether we are winning trophies, and only about profits and hitting certain targets, then the entire club will feel it, and we are feeling it now. Jose is feeling it (his comments about no longer being a manager, but only a coach), the squad is feeling it and us the fans are feeling it more than anyone. Ferguson made no secret of the fact that the key factor of his continued success was the total control he had of every aspect of the club, Jose has and never will be given that, nor will any other manager again at this Company...sorry, 'Club'. It is too easy to blame the manager for our current state, but to me its a much bigger problem than that. The DNA of our club has changed, we are no longer a football giant, we are a corporate giant and as long as we are making profits, nothing will change. We need total overhaul from starting at the top, but I worry that is not going to happen until we start losing money, and without intending to be totally doom and gloom, its a lose lose situation for us as fans.

I agree with most of the post although I think Jose is one if the problems. I agree that we have come to become nothing more than a brand to the owners and that hurts. Sadly the owners just see us as as a corporate cash cow and as long as the money keeps coming in they are going to be around a while. Personally I think they shoulld have backed Jose in the summer although I am not his biggest fan. If they had any ambition they should have given him whatever funds he wanted for him to get who he felt would get us back to where we deserve to be fighting at the top of the league not hoping to beat Spurs for 4th. We are United and should be aiming for the League and with the finances we have be aiming for the latter stages of the Champions League. It hurts that you have people running the club who don't respect the clubs values. It shows they don't care about giving the fans entertainment as long as they grab that magical 4th Champions League spot and that hurts. Now it would be hard to control every aspect of the club as Sir Alex did, even if the owners allowed it to happen as the club has got so big it is too big a job for one man. What some people don't realise is why Sir Alex was so good is that he constantly grew more with the club himself as he built it. Louis Van Gaal tried doing what Sir Alex did but I read an article once wgete Louis said it is more than a one man job. I agree with the overhaul but the people running the club are great commercially but clueless on the football side of things.

Reactions: Grinner