Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dev1l

Between Williams, McTominay, Wan Bissaka, Fred and the leadership of Maguire, there's some real steel in the squad which had long been missing.
I like their attitude.
In the past few years, the team seemed to lack characters on the pitch. Now we seem to have a bit of that once again.

Mickson

I don't watch as much youth football as I used to. I had never heard of this kid before he starting playing first team matches. Was he thought of as a strong prospect before then?
Yes, and especially in the last 18 months or so. Before that, I don't really know but I'm sure he was highly rated but maybe not that high as he is showing now. People are surprised because he isnät that skillful player, he is here because of his mentality mostly. Of course, he's skillful and a very technical player (like all United youth products nowadays) but nothing special in that department. My feeling, though, was that he wasn't talked about like Ethan Laird for example, even last year. However, he has been great for the last 18 months. Superb. Scoring goals, assisting goals, energy, all these things we are seeing now.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's a little prick, he likes getting into it with opposition players, which is more than welcome in this squad full of quiet, nice, don't-give-a-shit twats.

jb8521

Been highly regarded for a while as far as I know but his progress in the youth teams in the last 18 months or so has been impressive. The surprising thing for me is his defensive game seems to have come on a lot since stepping up to the first team. He was known to have an error or 2 in him in the youth teams. Still don't think people expected him to do quite as well as this and so soon. @jb8521 will probably know more.
He developed very quickly between u15s & u18s, before that he was missing quite a lot of time with injuries, was small for his age & was playing in a few different positions. Since his growth spurt he's looked a different player similar to the difference the growth spurts made to McTominay & Rashford. I'd agree that his defensive side has improved considerably since he stepped up particularly his defending of crosses & aerial ability where before he had a bit of a tendency to get sucked in under the ball & composure in defensive situations where before he could be very rash. Of course he's not perfect & can get caught out positionally as he tries to get the balance right between attacking & defending but his development so far has been very good & he still hasn't shown a lot of his attacking talent in the first team.

GazTheLegend

Outside shout for the Euros?

Danny Rose is rubbish nowadays, and Chilwell will go obviously. Who else do England actually have?
If he keeps performing he’ll probably get a slot ahead of Rose

Don’t think Greenwood will go - too much competition and honestly think Southgate would be stupid not to have a look at Danny Ings ahead of him or beg Jamie Vardy to come do a job.

Alabaster Codify7

By the end of the season, he'll be our most hated player for opposition fans, like Herrera. A little shit of a lad - and that's a good thing!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He developed very quickly between u15s & u18s, before that he was missing quite a lot of time with injuries, was small for his age & was playing in a few different positions. Since his growth spurt he's looked a different player similar to the difference the growth spurts made to McTominay & Rashford. I'd agree that his defensive side has improved considerably since he stepped up particularly his defending of crosses & aerial ability where before he had a bit of a tendency to get sucked in under the ball & composure in defensive situations where before he could be very rash. Of course he's not perfect & can get caught out positionally as he tries to get the balance right between attacking & defending but his development so far has been very good & he still hasn't shown a lot of his attacking talent in the first team.
Just out of curiousity is Brandon a natural left back? I just find it a bit unusual that someone right footed would play on the left. I know you said he played a few positions when he was younger, just curious.

Lynty

Expecting a few tasty challenges from Brandon. Hopefully finds a way of getting Robertson sent off.

Alabaster Codify7

I could see him getting sent off this weekend but I don't care really, haha. Give me his fire and enthusiasm over Shaw's M.O.R type performances any day.

A9X SJ

Looks a real talent few lore years & he will be established in the England Squad.

He came across well in his interview with Mata after the match.

Shaw is going to struggle to displace him in the side but he will get a few games has Williams is still young & developing

Reactions: Cheimoon

Mickson

Just out of curiousity is Brandon a natural left back? I just find it a bit unusual that someone right footed would play on the left. I know you said he played a few positions when he was younger, just curious.
He switched to left-back in the U16 when he was challenging Laird for the RB spot. A certain Kieran McKenna's decision.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He switched to left-back in the U16 when he was challenging Laird for the RB spot. A certain Kieran McKenna's decision.
Thanks for that information, I thought I'd read it somewhere.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Turned out to be a great decision considering the lack of real quality left backs right now.

Funny how once it was zero right backs but left backs galore, now you've got a whole bus load of quality RB's coming through.

khoazany

Not really, they swapped wings all the time, Laird played loads at LB. They, especially Williams also played at CB. Garner - Williams were the main CB duo at U14s.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Two things I don't really get why people say about him. 'Shit of a lad' etc.. and that he is rash. In the first team I think he has displayed the perfect amount of temper and composure. I don't really remember a situation with him doing something rash for people to say that. His style is aggressive though.

Someone also said he was an unassuming character, which I think is a much more covering description of him. Doesn't seem like a jerk at all, just competitive like it should be. The only thing from him that was a jerk move was when he gave a little extra push to someone in the Chelsea game, that was a bit dirty.

Amarsdd

Two things I don't really get why people say about him. 'Shit of a lad' etc.. and that he is rash. In the first team I think he has displayed the perfect amount of temper and composure. I don't really remember a situation with him doing something rash for people to say that. His style is aggressive though.

Someone also said he was an unassuming character, which I think is a much more covering description of him. Doesn't seem like a jerk at all, just competitive like it should be. The only thing from him that was a jerk move was when he gave a little extra push to someone in the Chelsea game, that was a bit dirty.
think that perception mainly comes from his first couple of games esp. with tackles. Since then he's been much more composed.

thepolice123

Need a big game from him today. Especially with Salah back in the team. They love their long balls down the left flank for Salah.

Mickson

Not really, they swapped wings all the time, Laird played loads at LB. They, especially Williams also played at CB. Garner - Williams were the main CB duo at U14s.
I read in an interview that McKenna chose to do that and they stuck with it. So why is Williams playing left-back then?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
think that perception mainly comes from his first couple of games esp. with tackles. Since then he's been much more composed.
It comes from his youth and u23s showings where he was involved in multiple fights and inciting post match team brawls, getting himself sent off and flying into every challenge even if he had 0% of winning it.

He’s done well to control all of that in the first team so far. It’s obvious he’s been instructed to cut it out and play a far more reserved game as his attacking was far more direct before as well.

Red00012

I see that Shaw has travelled with the squad but I think he should go with Williams.

kundalini

Did ok relative to the rest of the team. A few rubbish moments but kept Alexander-Arnold fairly quiet.

Suedesi

I think he was awesome, contrast what he offers on the left versus Fat Luke it's like night and day.

He's not the finished article, but he plays without fear and doesn't give a feck. Love that in a United player.

Bwuk

Shame he didn’t get to play in his position today. We’d of looked better with a flat back 4 with him at LB and James on the left.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Shame he didn’t get to play in his position today. We’d of looked better with a flat back 4 with him at LB and James on the left.
I can see why we went the way we
Did though. So short in midfield and one recognised striker...it looked ok

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was quite poor today. There were nice little moments of play along with some very poor moments. He’s atrocious at getting out. He’s always the last out playing everyone on. Poor when he was tasked with blocking VVD. I mean shouldn’t have been his job but if it’s your job don’t give him space to get started. Your job is just to block his run and make it hard. He did neither.

Another one, Shaw goes to cut the ball across the box meaning he has to leave Salah, Williams has to be aware he needs to switch and get on Salah. Instead he is just day dreaming at the back post leaving Salah wide open.

Still has a lot to learn. I didn’t think he would start today actually. Fully expected Shaw to be playing but the one thing he was good at was the energy in getting out to TAA. Even if it was a long sprint he made sure he got up in his face.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thought he was quite poor today. There were nice little moments of play along with some very poor moments. He’s atrocious at getting out. He’s always the last out playing everyone on. Poor when he was tasked with blocking VVD. I mean shouldn’t have been his job but if it’s your job don’t give him space to get started. Your job is just to block his run and make it hard. He did neither.

Another one, Shaw goes to cut the ball across the box meaning he has to leave Salah, Williams has to be aware he needs to switch and get on Salah. Instead he is just day dreaming at the back post leaving Salah wide open.

Still has a lot to learn. I didn’t think he would start today actually. Fully expected Shaw to be playing but the one thing he was good at was the energy in getting out to TAA. Even if it was a long sprint he made sure he got up in his face.
Thought he looked lost out there personally, and scared too. Can’t say he had any sort of impact on the game, either offensively or defensively. Was asked to play a weird position though, almost LWF, which isn’t his role.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he looked lost out there personally, and scared too. Can’t say he had any sort of impact on the game, either offensively or defensively. Was asked to play a weird position though, almost LWF, which isn’t his role.
Honestly from most of the games he has played he’s looked way more comfortable as a LWF as he spends so much time up there. Even replacing Rashford at times and having him cover his position.

I think keeping TAA quiet he did that well, again his energy mostly and there were 1 or 2 nice little moments of play but he did lose possesion quite a bit or just run up dead ends.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was one moment where he was surrounded by 3 Liverpool players on the wing, fake passed and and managed to get the ball out of an extremely tight situation. He's tremendously confident and will continue to improve. Got great hopes for the lad.

Sylar

There was one moment where he was surrounded by 3 Liverpool players on the wing, fake passed and and managed to get the ball out of an extremely tight situation. He's tremendously confident and will continue to improve. Got great hopes for the lad.
Agreed. He needs some experience around him too to help continue his progress. Been one of the bright lights of this season so far.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agreed. He needs some experience around him too to help continue his progress. Been one of the bright lights of this season so far.
Yep, him and Greenwood have taken to first team football astoundingly well.

admrf

Not sure why he stopped making forward runs or passing progressively after the first 20 minutes. Was doing well up until that point.
I thought he never get the final ball whenever he drove forward. Cant remember any moment where he was receiving a deadball pass

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He played one of our very few through balls of the night. Seemed positive wherever he could
Was positive but lacked the quality of pass in the final third. Overall enjoyed his performance.. there is a baller in him.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Honestly, I see backwards with this guy.

In the games I feel he struggles I come into this thread and he is getting all the praise in the world.

In a game like this where I thought he was absolutely fantastic, opinions are quite negative. It must be me!

Two fantastic through balls to Dan James, really good forward passing, complete composure on the ball, perfect defensive positioning. I don't know what else could have been asked of him?

EDIT- Oh, and when a club of this side is on its fecking knees, this chap at his age has the bottle to dig out the senior players as he simultaneously outshines them. That's mint.

aosmdee

Honestly, I see backwards with this guy.

In the games I feel he struggles I come into this thread and he is getting all the praise in the world.

In a game like this where I thought he was absolutely fantastic, opinions are quite negative. It must be me!

Two fantastic through balls to Dan James, really good forward passing, complete composure on the ball, perfect defensive positioning. I don't know what else could have been asked of him?

EDIT- Oh, and when a club of this side is on its fecking knees, this chap at his age has the bottle to dig out the senior players as he simultaneously outshines them. That's mint.
Its not just you. He did well today, and he will continue to get better unless he gets injured, then we are truly fecked playing Luke Fried Shawicken everyday

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First half he was playing really well, that outside of the foot pass to James in particular was a highlight.

He needs to keep overlapping though, he seems to be cutting inside more and more onto his right foot - almost like Ole has told him to copy Ashley Young. I prefer when he bombs down the outside and crosses first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.