Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought he was average today. Got outshone by Reece James who I think is a big talent.
James is a top talent, he'll end up being one of the best right backs in the world. Williams will be playing for Preston in 3 years. Nothing against the kid but I've seen nothing to suggest we don't need a new left back.

Canadianred17

James is a top talent, he'll end up being one of the best right backs in the world. Williams will be playing for Preston in 3 years. Nothing against the kid but I've seen nothing to suggest we don't need a new left back.
Totally agree. Some people here were calling him "Baby Maldini" after a couple games!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ridiculous quote. I payed close attention to that duel, and while Reece James did well, so did Williams to contain a very good player. Neither managed to really get one over each other, it was a good duel with two talented youngsters. It is an incredibly gullible opinion you offered though.

bondsname

This lad is 19 years old. Wherever he ends up in a few years, he has been really impressive this season. A bit raw at times, but it's something that can be learned from experience.

arthurka

He didn't look out of place but want his best. I think he has a bright future here, talent and attitude are there.

AR87

Reece James had one shot from the edge of the box. Admittedly it was an excellent shot, but other than that what did he really do in the attacking third? Don't remember much of anything.

I thought Brandon was ok. I have no idea what his top-level as a player can or will be. It's okay to not know that as he's just been introduced into the first team this season during a transitional period. We may need a new LB, but I'd be okay going into next season with our FB options being AWB, Shaw, Williams, Dalot, and Laird. They're all young enough that giving ourselves more time to evaluate before dipping into the market for one makes the most sense to me.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think we are over rating him massively. He makes good runs offensively and is tidy with the ball but he is a liability defensively and rarely crosses the ball. Personally I would like to see him play in the right because when he overlaps he has to turn back to get the ball to his right foot. There is a reason why teams play with left footed left backs. Sure we had success in the past with Irwin as a right footed left back but times have changed and I would much rather see Shaw at left back and don't understand all the criticism he gets...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
"He's got the Mancunian fight, spirit, desire," Patrice Evra told COPA90.

"I'm doing my coaching badges at Manchester United, I go like two weeks per month to do my course, and someone sent me a video about Brandon.”

"I was watching it and was like 'wow, he has got something I really love'. I went to the training and actually he was with the U21, and they made me do a session as well with the U21s.”

"So, I saw him, and he was tough, and after the training session I went with the first-team and I saw Ole. I said 'Ole, do you know about that kid Brandon Williams?' 'Yeah, they say he is good.'

"I said 'trust me Ole, since I left I can see he can play he can play at left-back.' I said please give him a chance.

"To be fair he is playing so well and he is not disappointing anyone. He is the future."

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

"I'm doing my coaching badges at Manchester United, I go like two weeks per month to do my course, and someone sent me a video about Brandon.”

"I was watching it and was like 'wow, he has got something I really love'. I went to the training and actually he was with the U21, and they made me do a session as well with the U21s.”

"So, I saw him, and he was tough, and after the training session I went with the first-team and I saw Ole. I said 'Ole, do you know about that kid Brandon Williams?' 'Yeah, they say he is good.'

"I said 'trust me Ole, since I left I can see he can play he can play at left-back.' I said please give him a chance.

"To be fair he is playing so well and he is not disappointing anyone. He is the future."
Brilliant.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think we are over rating him massively. He makes good runs offensively and is tidy with the ball but he is a liability defensively and rarely crosses the ball. Personally I would like to see him play in the right because when he overlaps he has to turn back to get the ball to his right foot. There is a reason why teams play with left footed left backs. Sure we had success in the past with Irwin as a right footed left back but times have changed and I would much rather see Shaw at left back and don't understand all the criticism he gets...
He might get a bit overrated. Young players who do well usually are.

But I do not think his lack of crosses is a big issue. He is a really good passer and that is much more important. Actually, only Pogba, Rashford and Mata have made more passes into the penalty area for Man Utd per 90 min than Williams this year. He has made 1,58 per game. (AWB has made 0,17 per game.)

tjb

Brilliant.
He is . People want to see instant impact and brilliance. Sometimes you have to be patient. The areas in his game that are lacking will be fixed with more experience in the team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is . People want to see instant impact and brilliance. Sometimes you have to be patient. The areas in his game that are lacking will be fixed with more experience in the team.
Absolutely. He’s been a breath of fresh air. He’ll go from strength to strength. Definitely has the required mentality that’s not a given even for tens of millions pounds.

Glad Evra spotted him and gave Ole a shout. Credit to him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I couldn't be more sure about him making it here. Be that as a back up to a new LB or if he develops extremely well as the starting LB.

He'll outlast Shaw for certain

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's quite easy to replace Shaw in his recent state of form and fitness, but Williams so far deserves playing in first squad to the rest of the season to show that no one is safe and further clear out is inevitable.

cyberman

Doesnt matter, apparently he'll be playing for Preston in a few years

Sea-Cow

I don't get why he hasn't been given any minutes at RB, or Right WingBack.

He is right footed. Surely he would be better suited to the right? AWB could be given a rest every now and then. Or, if we are at home against a team sitting deep and we need more of an attacking, overlapping threat, then Brandon could offer that.

It is weird that he is only on the left.

Steerpike

He shows a lot of promise and seems to have a fantastic attitude, but he will certainly need to develop his ability with his left foot if he is to carry on playing at left back (as Dennis Irwin did).

For a left back in defensive situations, being able to clear the ball, or pass it up the line, with your left foot is important. If you're reluctant to do so, you end up turning inside before getting the ball away, and this just makes the situation more dangerous (the clearance is more likely to be blocked, and you risk being dispossessed in a position where the attacker has an unobstructed path into the box). There were several occasions in a recent League Cup tie against City where Williams came under pressure, was reluctant to use his left foot, so found making an effective clearance or pass difficult.

Luke Shaw has looked good the last couple of times he's played, but his injury record is still a concern. When he's fit, I believe he is our best left back, and Brandon Williams would benefit from working with him.

Steerpike

I don't get why he hasn't been given any minutes at RB, or Right WingBack.

He is right footed. Surely he would be better suited to the right? AWB could be given a rest every now and then. Or, if we are at home against a team sitting deep and we need more of an attacking, overlapping threat, then Brandon could offer that.

It is weird that he is only on the left.
I think the issue is that we only have one left-footed defender, Luke Shaw, and if he's not fit we have to find someone else to fill in at left back.

I agree that Brandon Williams would be a good option at right back, but I also feel that Wan-Bissaka's contribution going forward is underrated. If we had more players trying to get into the box for crosses, I think he may have chalked up a few more assists than he has. It's not saying much I know, but Wan-Bissaka looked our most potent attacking threat in the debacle against Burnley.

Sea-Cow

I think the issue is that we only have one left-footed defender, Luke Shaw, and if he's not fit we have to find someone else to fill in at left back.

I agree that Brandon Williams would be a good option at right back, but I also feel that Wan-Bissaka's contribution going forward is underrated. If we had more players trying to get into the box for crosses, I think he may have chalked up a few more assists than he has. It's not saying much I know, but Wan-Bissaka looked our most potent attacking threat in the debacle against Burnley.
I see the logic in it, because we're so short at LB.

But I just think Brandon is getting short-changed a little. I think his performances would be much better on the right, and he hasn't been given a chance yet.

Steerpike

I see the logic in it, because we're so short at LB.

But I just think Brandon is getting short-changed a little. I think his performances would be much better on the right, and he hasn't been given a chance yet.
Fair enough, and it's possible he will get an opportunity on the right at some point. He has played on the left a lot for the U18 and U23 sides though, which is why perhaps he gets that berth rather than putting AWB or Dalot there.

Robbie Boy

Serious, serious overrating of Reece James in here. Par for the course with Chelsea youngsters though.

RedIan

a real off night for Brandon. Looked a liability at times but hes had a good season so everyone’s allowed an off night..... He looked knackered as well second half. dont over play him. We have cover for the 3 at the back system now Bailey is back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Careful with that opinion. You might get told off.
Already have been tbh. In fairness to him, who knows where he’ll end up, but I don’t see any class above a player who will eventually enjoy a career at West Ham at best. Which isn’t an insult, it’s PL level. Just not the elite level, he doesn’t have that to me but I know saying that about an academy grad is frowned upon.

MadMike

First 30 mins, I could have sworn he was drunk. He improved but not by much.

His combativeness is admirable, but needs more quality

siw2007

Struggled in tonight’s game. He doesn’t quite understand the wing back role at the moment, definitely more comfortable at full back.
Wouldn’t be surprised if his form is starting drop a little now as we are coming into the latter stages of the season, it’s quite normal.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
His worst game by a distance.

Feel like he'll be another like Lingard who will be kept at the club far longer than he should be just because local lad, academy, gets the club, is a fighter etc.

Djemba-Djemba

I really like him but he was woeful tonight.

It happens, it's his first season so he's bound to have games like this sometimes.

Still really rate him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Williams was brutal today. Constantly checking into his right foot. The first time we saw him take a man wide was late when he was moved to right back. He is not a left back. Please stop playing him there Ole

-Supreme-

Williams was brutal today. Constantly checking into his right foot. The first time we saw him take a man wide was late when he was moved to right back. He is not a left back. Please stop playing him there Ole
Said this since his few appearances, we desperately need balance with a natural left footed player when we already have so many attacking wide players that likes to cut in

TrustInOle

I'll say it again, he's quite obviously not a wing back
Completely agree. Works so much better going forward when he has a player in front of him on the wing. At the same time I think he offers protection to let Shaw bomb forward at times, which seems to have thrown a couple teams off guard recently. Not ideal though.

RedIan

His worst game by a distance.

Feel like he'll be another like Lingard who will be kept at the club far longer than he should be just because local lad, academy, gets the club, is a fighter etc.
He's ill according to Ole.

Wow !! he has one bad game and hes hung out to dry... he is not suited to advanced wingback, hes a fullback and been our best player in more than one game this system.a great prospect. Hes also been overplayed for a developing academy player.

His worst game for us. I don't know if he is tired from Chelsea or what but he couldn't even control a simple pass.

Needs to play the next game for his confidence then have a rest.

pascell

Wow !! he has one bad game and hes hung out to dry... he is not suited to advanced wingback, hes a fullback and been our best player in more than one game this system.a great prospect. Hes also been overplayed for a developing academy player.
Not sure why my post in the Greenwood thread has been quoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.