Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

Saka is also a teenager, he is actually younger than Williams and every single game he plays, he shows his talent, he shows that he is something special, does he makes mistakes? Yes, of course, but you will give him chance because he deserved it and he will pay that back. Williams is the complete oppossite of him.

He is a classic example of our academy graduate. He runs a lot, he tries a lot, he dives a lot, he had one or two good moments (f. e. goal against Sheffeild), but he is no good enough and probably never will be. But he comes from academy so people will call for another chance and another one and another one, because he is so good and if you ask them why, they wont answer. Some people actually said that he is better than Shaw and he should play instead of him because Shaw never performed (Shaw as our POTY from last season :D ; even though Pogba should have won it).
With normal manager he will be gone in two years like Donald Love, with bad manager like Ole he will be next Pereira and in 3-4 years most of the fans will hate him and the same people will praise some new big talent after not even an average perforamnce. It is actually very similar to Mctominay case, but he is much older.
Whereas I think Williams has been one of of our best and most consistent performers this season despite it being his first at this level. Trent AA showed nothing in his first season and now is lauded as one of the worlds best RB's

Williams plays better in a 4 and has had a couple of bad games in a new position. He has all the attributes to be a top player and is 7-8 years from his peak.

Next year he'll have to step up again and improve but this year he has justified his place in pretty much every game he has played and there is no reason to think otherwise or that he should be replaced in the summer.

Anyone claiming he isnt good enough to make it, is simply trying to be the all seeing sage, unable to be proven wrong at this moment of his career.
Hopefully he continues to improve at the rate he has this season, and that will make him good enough to be our no1 LB for years to come.

dirkey

Whereas I think Williams has been one of of our best and most consistent performers this season despite it being his first at this level. Trent AA showed nothing in his first season and now is lauded as one of the worlds best RB's

Williams plays better in a 4 and has had a couple of bad games in a new position. He has all the attributes to be a top player and is 7-8 years from his peak.

Next year he'll have to step up again and improve but this year he has justified his place in pretty much every game he has played and there is no reason to think otherwise or that he should be replaced in the summer.

Anyone claiming he isnt good enough to make it, is simply trying to be the all seeing sage, unable to be proven wrong at this moment of his career.
Hopefully he continues to improve at the rate he has this season, and that will make him good enough to be our no1 LB for years to come.
Yep, this exactly.

How many of us wrote of Scott McTominay? I know I did. Because he didn't, in my opinion, show much in his first number of games for us. And I've been gloriously proven wrong.

I wrote Fred off. Wrong again.

elánius

Saka has played as attacking winger too, comparing their numbers as fullbacks and per 90 mins stats. Stats will be different if we consider all positions but that would be unfair comparison.

In PL this season
SakaWilliams
Mins586682
Tackles2.52
Interceptions0.81.2
Clearance1.21.3
Blocks0.81.7
Shots0.30.7
Goals00.1
Assists0.20
Dribbles1.51.5
Unsuccessful Dribbles0.90,7
Possession loss2.32.8
Headers won0.31.2
Passes4248
Chances Created0.31.2
Penalties Won01

In Europa Saka has completely outperformed Williams but in PL it's lot closer.
Sorry, but your data are completly wrong.

Sofa stats for Williams

You need to change it for PL, for some reason their stats start with EL.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sorry, but your data are completly wrong.

Sofa stats for Williams

You need to change it for PL, for some reason their stats start with EL.
It's not my problem if you can't read post property. It's the stats for the games they played as fullback in PL.

Saka played many games as attacking winger too and those are not considered.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the issue here is because he has looked pretty darn good in most of his performances before now. He's had 2 bad games in a row in my book, but other than that, he's been pretty good, one of our better performers this season.

It's fair enough to say it with other players who come into the side and never show anything worthwhile - Perreira etc. But it's not fair to say it about Williams I think.
You think he’s looked ‘pretty darn good’, I think he hasn’t looked good enough. Only by the standard of Manchester United. Ofher
In my opinion so, you're going with confirmation bias. Because, in general throughout this season, Williams has been decent for the most part. He's had 2 bad games in a row, but he has looked good, and not out of place.

Hopefully this will prove to be the case. But it seems to me like you're coming in with preconceived notions and you're not willing to give him time. You'll throw out the number of decent games he had in favour of the 2 more recent bad ones so you can say you're right, he's average, not good enough etc etc.
Again, this is made up. This is neither the first time I have seen, or commented on Williams. When he was having these great games you speak of, I was sa that I don’t think he’s Manchester United good.

One of the things that frustrates me most on the caf is that everyone seems to have an inability to see ‘not good enough for Manchester United’ as anything other than ‘not a good player’, or ‘rubbish’. Do you think we should sign Aaron Cresswell? He’s a ‘good player’, I think pretty much everyone would agree. Is he a Manchester United good player though? And does Williams look to have any more class than an Aaron Cresswell? Not to me, he looks a West Ham level player, which again, is not a criticism. Cresswell is accepted as a good player. Half this board don’t want Declan Rice, yet he’s also accepted as a very good player. But when a young player does not play for United, it’s easier for them to see, or at least admit where this line falls. Rice isn’t good enough for United but of course, you cannot day that about Brandon Williams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's weird that people "hate" young players because they are from academy.

For a young player who was thrown into deep end because of injury crisis, he has done well. He had good games and few poor ones. Just because some other young player is doing better than him means nothing, not all young players perform same at their ages.

Last couple of games he was poor, maybe he will be dropped for Shaw as LB and that would be good move too.
Nobody hates young academy players. How would you explain my views on Greenwood or Laird? It’s not personal, I just don’t think Williams is as good as them.

It’s all cute everyone sticking up for him now, but to me, the hypocrisy is more over there. Others don’t really ‘love’ the player. They just love the notion of academy players filling our team. None of you give a shit about Paddy McNair, Cleverley, Donald Love, Darron Gibson or a host of others now. Once they are sold and you no longer HAVE to say they are going to the top, nobody does. Williams, if he leaves later, will be exactly the same. I recognise this from now, which is why I don’t hold any irrational affinity for these kids. I only look at the quality of the player, as I see it anyway. Everyone’s nobility in praise will soon be forgotten once these players leave.

As has been mentioned, Saka is a younger kid doing well at LB, and he is not an alien. He’s just a bigger talent at LB then Williams. We don’t HAVE to play Williams in the team for years. We could even play Saka. If Williams left and Saka came in, nobody would care. But the day before the press broke the story, of someone suggested it online, he’d be criticised.

elánius

It's not my problem if you can't read post property. It's the stats for the games they played as fullback in PL.

Saka played many games as attacking winger too and those are not considered.
Dude, your stats for Williams are COMPLETLEY WRONG, I just proved that with link, so maybe stop attacking me and check that link. If you dont understrand that, maybe you should be worried about your reading skill.

Btw you counted every minute for Williams from PL even though he is often used as wing back. ;)

Dan_F

Is this place a parody? He had a bad game, but still didn’t make any major mistakes. The kid is 19 and should probably be playing on the right.

We should still be targeting a new left back, but let him fill in at RB/LB and give him a chance to prove himself. If he’s not good enough over the next season or two, then move him on. He’s been no worse than Dalot and I’d rather give the academy players a chance, than spend 20 million on average players.

Fergie was the master at doing this. Problem is we haven’t moved on some of the average players at the right time. ie Lingard, Jones, probably Pereira (but it was right to give him a chance this year).

Last edited:

romufc

Is this place a parody? He had a bad game, but still didn’t make any major mistakes. The kid is 19 and should probably be at be playing on the right.
A joke isnt it. Players have bad games, it doesnt help a youngster when the 10 other players are having a shocker too.

dirkey

You think he’s looked ‘pretty darn good’, I think he hasn’t looked good enough. Only by the standard of Manchester United. Ofher

Again, this is made up. This is neither the first time I have seen, or commented on Williams. When he was having these great games you speak of, I was sa that I don’t think he’s Manchester United good.

One of the things that frustrates me most on the caf is that everyone seems to have an inability to see ‘not good enough for Manchester United’ as anything other than ‘not a good player’, or ‘rubbish’. Do you think we should sign Aaron Cresswell? He’s a ‘good player’, I think pretty much everyone would agree. Is he a Manchester United good player though? And does Williams look to have any more class than an Aaron Cresswell? Not to me, he looks a West Ham level player, which again, is not a criticism. Cresswell is accepted as a good player. Half this board don’t want Declan Rice, yet he’s also accepted as a very good player. But when a young player does not play for United, it’s easier for them to see, or at least admit where this line falls. Rice isn’t good enough for United but of course, you cannot day that about Brandon Williams.
Yep, I do believe you're going with confirmation bias. Because you've stated "I've spoken about him a number of times before his debut". So, you're just continuing on your opinion, rather than admit that there's a chance you're wrong. Obviously, it's more likely you're right - look at the number of academy players who start games for United, only to move on and not make the grade.

But, from what he has put on film this year in the first team, he has looked promising. There's a reason that most of the caf view him as one of the few bright spots in this season.

Will he prove to be good enough in the long term? Remains to be seen. Has he looked like he has the ability to be? Yes. Has he flashed and performed well enough to be a first team player? Yes. All my opinion obviously. But I think seconded by most in the forum.

dirkey

Is this place a parody? He had a bad game, but still didn’t make any major mistakes. The kid is 19 and should probably be at be playing on the right.

We should still be targeting a new left back, but let him fill in at RB/LB and give him a chance to prove himself. If he’s not good enough over the next season or two, then move him on. He’s been no worse than Dalot and I’d rather give the academy players a chance, than spend 20 million on average players.

Fergie was the master at doing this. Problem is we haven’t moved on some of the average players at the right time. ie Lingard, Jones, probably Pereira (but it was right to give him a chance this year).
I agree that he just had a bad game, but he did make a major mistake, along with Dalot, for the goal. He clearly realised that Dalot was after switching off in time to avert the danger. He got there in time to head the ball before it bounced. Was a huge mistake not to, and led directly to a goal. Mistakes don't get any more major.

roonster09

Scout
Dude, your stats for Williams are COMPLETLEY WRONG, I just proved that with link, so maybe stop attacking me and check that link. If you dont understrand that, maybe you should be worried about your reading skill.

Btw you counted every minute for Williams from PL even though he is often used as wing back. ;)
All you have proved is you can't read post properly. The stats you posted are for all position and per game stats. The one I posted is for FB/WB position and per 90 mins. It's clearly mentioned in the post too.

roonster09

Scout
Nobody hates young academy players. How would you explain my views on Greenwood or Laird? It’s not personal, I just don’t think Williams is as good as them.

It’s all cute everyone sticking up for him now, but to me, the hypocrisy is more over there. Others don’t really ‘love’ the player. They just love the notion of academy players filling our team. None of you give a shit about Paddy McNair, Cleverley, Donald Love, Darron Gibson or a host of others now. Once they are sold and you no longer HAVE to say they are going to the top, nobody does. Williams, if he leaves later, will be exactly the same. I recognise this from now, which is why I don’t hold any irrational affinity for these kids. I only look at the quality of the player, as I see it anyway. Everyone’s nobility in praise will soon be forgotten once these players leave.

As has been mentioned, Saka is a younger kid doing well at LB, and he is not an alien. He’s just a bigger talent at LB then Williams. We don’t HAVE to play Williams in the team for years. We could even play Saka. If Williams left and Saka came in, nobody would care. But the day before the press broke the story, of someone suggested it online, he’d be criticised.
This post is so desperate 'me me me' post.

I can see this, none can think, I am superior, I am some secret scout who can see potential, I am ultimate. Dude just calm down.

youngrell

Pretty much been poor every time he’s played as a wing back, clearly doesn’t suit him and I hope we stop forcing him to play there because he could lose confidence, which up to now has been one of his strengths.

Could probably do with a bit less playing time too, he seems tired at the moment, which is understandable at his age and experience.

Hopefully we revert to a back 4 for some easier games.

elánius

All you have proved is you can't read post properly. The stats you posted are for all position and per game stats. The one I posted is for FB/WB position and per 90 mins. It's clearly mentioned in the post too.
What do you actually think that per game means? :D

Jesus, I am done.

Your stats are jsut wrong, deal with it and have a nice weekend.

roonster09

Scout
What do you actually think that per game means? :D

Jesus, I am done.

Your stats are jsut wrong, deal with it and have a nice weekend.
:lol: You really need some help in how to use stats.

Per game and per 90 mins are not same, fecking hell it's something very basic.

stu_1992

I picked him out as being poor at half time especially, but I think people are going over the top with the criticism. I've seen more than enough from him this season to suggest he has a big future. He's young, he'll have bad games and make mistakes. If we can read anything into the last couple of games, it's that Wing-back position doesn't suit him very much and. I'm sure that can be worked on, but he's looked quite impressive as a full back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep, I do believe you're going with confirmation bias. Because you've stated "I've spoken about him a number of times before his debut". So, you're just continuing on your opinion, rather than admit that there's a chance you're wrong. Obviously, it's more likely you're right - look at the number of academy players who start games for United, only to move on and not make the grade.

But, from what he has put on film this year in the first team, he has looked promising. There's a reason that most of the caf view him as one of the few bright spots in this season.

Will he prove to be good enough in the long term? Remains to be seen. Has he looked like he has the ability to be? Yes. Has he flashed and performed well enough to be a first team player? Yes. All my opinion obviously. But I think seconded by most in the forum.
So ‘most of the forum’ agree with your view, yet I ‘will most likely be proved to be right’. Perhaps, the thing that has made me ‘most likely to be right’ is what has made me shift the bar in terms of the kids I think will make it here. I don’t disagree that Williams has done well this season. But as I’ve said before, he’s done well largely in relation to his own expectations and standards, not in relation to Manchester United’s. A left back who is not close to the best left backs in the league, playing weekly for United, cannot be showered with unadulterated praise by me. Because that is where the standard is for us. Aside from that, I think we are again falling into the same habits of treating these kids how we treat our own and just praising the effort etc. Thank heavens for Saka because it makes it easier for me to have this conversation without just seeming to be ‘being a big fat meanie to the poor young kid’. He’s playing at the level of the top left backs in the league.

As for my view from ‘before Williams’ debut’, you again seem to be following the caf trend of being unable or unwilling to distinguish between me not thinking a player is a Manchester United player and me thinking he was rubbish. I thought Williams was good in the academy. I never thought he’d go on to be a United regular. He was not on the small list of players I thought that of. I think Williams is good now. But my overall view of him hasn’t changed.

Sometimes I wonder what people think an 18/19 year old future West Ham or Bournemouth player actually looks like. They are good players, better than most in the academies even. It doesn’t make them poor players at all, but it doesn’t mean they are United, City or Chelsea ones.

And I accept Williams is of course, ‘only young’. Just as I accept Greenwood is only 18. Greenwood has plenty of room for improvement too. He’s not the finished article. But based on what he has, I expect him to be good enough for United in a couple years. I think he has more than Williams, who I think will fall shorter.

I’m not proclaiming to be some oracle, or ‘be clever’ - I do not actually think my view of Williams is controversial at all, aside from the fact that in general, people act like defensive soccer Moms when it comes to these kids.

pascell

He had a poor game but this is what happens with young players, their inconsistent and it's part of their learning curve to iron out these flaws to become more consistent.

Let's just calm down, he's 19 in his breakthrough season, granted there's plenty for him to improve on but he has time on his side and I'm sure he'll work hard to do just that.

roonster09

Scout
Defensive record with him in the team looks decent. We need better LB for sure but few are very harsh on him.

StartsClean sheets
Premier League
8​
3​
Europa League
4​
3​
FA Cup
3​
3​
League Cup
3​
1​
Total
18​
10​

dirkey

So ‘most of the forum’ agree with your view, yet I ‘will most likely be proved to be right’. Perhaps, the thing that has made me ‘most likely to be right’ is what has made me shift the bar in terms of the kids I think will make it here. I don’t disagree that Williams has done well this season. But as I’ve said before, he’s done well largely in relation to his own expectations and standards, not in relation to Manchester United’s. A left back who is not close to the best left backs in the league, playing weekly for United, cannot be showered with unadulterated praise by me. Because that is where the standard is for us. Aside from that, I think we are again falling into the same habits of treating these kids how we treat our own and just praising the effort etc. Thank heavens for Saka because it makes it easier for me to have this conversation without just seeming to be ‘being a big fat meanie to the poor young kid’. He’s playing at the level of the top left backs in the league.

As for my view from ‘before Williams’ debut’, you again seem to be following the caf trend of being unable or unwilling to distinguish between me not thinking a player is a Manchester United player and me thinking he was rubbish. I thought Williams was good in the academy. I never thought he’d go on to be a United regular. He was not on the small list of players I thought that of. I think Williams is good now. But my overall view of him hasn’t changed.

Sometimes I wonder what people think an 18/19 year old future West Ham or Bournemouth player actually looks like. They are good players, better than most in the academies even. It doesn’t make them poor players at all, but it doesn’t mean they are United, City or Chelsea ones.

And I accept Williams is of course, ‘only young’. Just as I accept Greenwood is only 18. Greenwood has plenty of room for improvement too. He’s not the finished article. But based on what he has, I expect him to be good enough for United in a couple years. I think he has more than Williams, who I think will fall shorter.

I’m not proclaiming to be some oracle, or ‘be clever’ - I do not actually think my view of Williams is controversial at all, aside from the fact that in general, people act like defensive soccer Moms when it comes to these kids.
They're not mutually exclusive. Most people here agree with me, in that, he looks like he has a future. So far, absolutely nothing in his performances (bar possibly the last 2 games, and maybe the odd moment here or there) for the first team say that he's not good enough, and not a Man United player. You're seeing what you want to see, because you're a super-scout who predicted he's not good enough before he came into the first team. Thus, every mistake he makes is magnified in your eyes.

From a quick look at the ratings, he has the highest rating of our defenders on the Caf. So yes, people think he's good enough.

You "most likely to be right" is based on history. I wouldn't have an exact percentage of players who have come through the academy and made it as first teamers for a short spell, only to move on ... but my guess is, it's less than 5% who stick. So, you're playing the percentages, and statistically, are more likely to be right.

It's interesting that you rate Saka as one of the top left backs in the league. His whoscored league rating is 6.57. Williams? 6.79. From an unbiased source.

Nope, I'm not following the "caf trend" - I've repeatedly made my argument in terms of good enough to play for United / make it at United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They're not mutually exclusive. Most people here agree with me, in that, he looks like he has a future. So far, absolutely nothing in his performances (bar possibly the last 2 games, and maybe the odd moment here or there) for the first team say that he's not good enough, and not a Man United player. You're seeing what you want to see, because you're a super-scout who predicted he's not good enough before he came into the first team. Thus, every mistake he makes is magnified in your eyes.

From a quick look at the ratings, he has the highest rating of our defenders on the Caf. So yes, people think he's good enough.

You "most likely to be right" is based on history. I wouldn't have an exact percentage of players who have come through the academy and made it as first teamers for a short spell, only to move on ... but my guess is, it's less than 5% who stick. So, you're playing the percentages, and statistically, are more likely to be right.

It's interesting that you rate Saka as one of the top left backs in the league. His whoscored league rating is 6.57. Williams? 6.79. From an unbiased source.

Nope, I'm not following the "caf trend" - I've repeatedly made my argument in terms of good enough to play for United / make it at United.
Couldn’t give a feck about your stats tbh, that’s not how I observe football. That said, the numbers you threw out are indicative of how hard it is to make it at United for an academy kid. Greenwood is in that 5% of talents you speak of. Williams is in the 95%. It doesn’t take a ‘super scout’, it just takes an emotional detachment.

I couldn’t care less what the caf rate a player. The caf form collective views on players all the time. I form my own. I don’t have to rate a player just because the caf does. The caf will be over it soon, and be on to their next young hope. They will repeat the cycle for eternity, and never think it is okay to start suggesting maybe these kids are not going to make it when they are 20, only when they are 23, when they feel it is acceptable to criticise on their terms, then hurl copious amounts of abuse at the likes of Pereira or Cleverley. If it keeps taking everyone except ‘super scouts’ like me by surprise that these players are not long term United players, don’t have a go at me for suggesting it earlier.

roonster09

Scout
I will never understand why anyone would write off a young 19 year old who is playing his first season. Its like people believe only super talents make it to first team and so many used to say Rashford isn't good enough for PL not long back.

At Williams' age, Robertson was playing in Scottish 3rd division. Not saying he will be as good but the desperation of some people to look like amazing judge of young talent is silly.

Before anyone stars with "Lol, he will never be good enough as these players", this is just to show at Williams' age (not to 100% accuracy btw) where they were playing and how silly it is to write off young players.

Baines- Not even regular for Wigan in Championship
Alba - Gimnastic, in La Liga 2
Mendy - Le Havra in French second division
Filipe Luis - Brazil league and La Liga 2
Alonso - La Liga 3
Danny Rose -Loaned out to championship till he was 21
Chilwell - Didnt even make PL debut.

Adamsk7

I think he’s a great talent but he needs some time away from starting line ups. Shaw is doing well currently so Brandon doesn’t need to play as many games as he is. Part of a young players development is spending some time on the sidelines watching passages of play, spending some time out of line ups working on their physicality and coming off the bench having watched 60-70 minutes so they know how to impact games better. It’s all a learning curve and I am convinced he’ll be a top left back in 3-4 seasons. Can’t write him off now at 19!

Dan_F

I agree that he just had a bad game, but he did make a major mistake, along with Dalot, for the goal. He clearly realised that Dalot was after switching off in time to avert the danger. He got there in time to head the ball before it bounced. Was a huge mistake not to, and led directly to a goal. Mistakes don't get any more major.
That goal is Romero’s fault and Dalot lets the attacker run past him. That’s already two people who are more at fault for the goal. Im not even convinced Williams could have got his head on it, even if he did it probably would have skimmed the top and gone into the path of the attacker.

dirkey

That goal is Romero’s fault and Dalot lets the attacker run past him. That’s already two people who are more at fault for the goal. Im not even convinced Williams could have got his head on it, even if he did it probably would have skimmed the top and gone into the path of the attacker.
Yep. I agree, they both made mistakes. But, he still had time to clean it up and made a bad decision.

dirkey

Couldn’t give a feck about your stats tbh, that’s not how I observe football. That said, the numbers you threw out are indicative of how hard it is to make it at United for an academy kid. Greenwood is in that 5% of talents you speak of. Williams is in the 95%. It doesn’t take a ‘super scout’, it just takes an emotional detachment.

I couldn’t care less what the caf rate a player. The caf form collective views on players all the time. I form my own. I don’t have to rate a player just because the caf does. The caf will be over it soon, and be on to their next young hope. They will repeat the cycle for eternity, and never think it is okay to start suggesting maybe these kids are not going to make it when they are 20, only when they are 23, when they feel it is acceptable to criticise on their terms, then hurl copious amounts of abuse at the likes of Pereira or Cleverley. If it keeps taking everyone except ‘super scouts’ like me by surprise that these players are not long term United players, don’t have a go at me for suggesting it earlier.
You call it emotional detachment, I call it, playing the percentages. From what he has shown in the first team, he definitely has the potential. Hasn't at all looked out of place. We'll see, long term. Hope you're wrong. Definitely has shown enough to warrant more looks, and to let us think he can be our left back of the future. Haven't heard too many pundits disagree.

And, I didn't give you stats. I gave you ratings, they're different. But I'm sure you don't worry about collective opinion / rating (incidentally, there are numerous studies done which tend to prove that if you get a large number of people to give an opinion / rate something / someone, they tend to be far more accurate than "experts"), since it doesn't tally up with how you observe football.

Fair enough. You think Saka is a better player. I haven't opinion on that particular debate either way, it's just interesting to me that someone who is playing at a "best left back in the league" level, would be rated lower than our no-hoping Williams, who is only over-rated by Caf people apparently.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You call it emotional detachment, I call it, playing the percentages. From what he has shown in the first team, he definitely has the potential. Hasn't at all looked out of place. We'll see, long term. Hope you're wrong. Definitely has shown enough to warrant more looks, and to let us think he can be our left back of the future. Haven't heard too many pundits disagree.

And, I didn't give you stats. I gave you ratings, they're different. But I'm sure you don't worry about collective opinion / rating (incidentally, there are numerous studies done which tend to prove that if you get a large number of people to give an opinion / rate something / someone, they tend to be far more accurate than "experts"), since it doesn't tally up with how you observe football.

Fair enough. You think Saka is a better player. I haven't opinion on that particular debate either way, it's just interesting to me that someone who is playing at a "best left back in the league" level, would be rated lower than our no-hoping Williams, who is only over-rated by Caf people apparently.
Okay, from what I’ve seen of Williams so far, I think he’ll become our LB for years to come. I admit that my previously suggesting otherwise was me simply‘trying to be clever’.

Canadianred17

Okay, from what I’ve seen of Williams so far, I think he’ll become our LB for years to come. I admit that my previously suggesting otherwise was me simply‘trying to be clever’.
If he becomes our LB for years to come, these low standards of United will be the norm.

Andersons Dietician

So far, absolutely nothing in his performances (bar possibly the last 2 games, and maybe the odd moment here or there) for the first team say that he's not good enough, and not a Man United player. You're seeing what you want to see, because you're a super-scout who predicted he's not good enough before he came into the first team. Thus, every mistake he makes is magnified in your eyes.
He has had a lot more than the past few games where he’s not been very good. Even the Sheffield game where he scored his goal he was having a bad game. There have been many more like that.

That’ll be the same people that said he kept Traore quiet all day even though Traore was playing on the opposite flank?

I think he’s decent, probably be better at RB. Has many large gaping holes in his game but that can be worked on. Probably be a handy squad player for years to come but personally I don’t see him ousting Bissaka or Shaw anytime soon.

Jonno

He has had a lot more than the past few games where he’s not been very good. Even the Sheffield game where he scored his goal he was having a bad game. There have been many more like that.

That’ll be the same people that said he kept Traore quiet all day even though Traore was playing on the opposite flank?
Traore played on his flank, got silenced so they moved him to the opposite flank.

Williams was having an average game v Sheff United, but he scored, a vital goal. You're ignoring that fact. That took his performance to "good".

For his age, he's doing very well.

Andersons Dietician

Traore played on his flank, got silenced so they moved him to the opposite flank.

Williams was having an average game v Sheff United, but he scored, a vital goal. You're ignoring that fact. That took his performance to "good".

For his age, he's doing very well.
No they didn’t first game he played against Traore, Traore had a pretty off day as did Wolves and for some reason they just didn’t work Traore in a position to go at Williams However the 6 or so times he went at him he went past him like he wasn’t there bar 1.
The next game Traore played on the left and Neto was on the right. Then next time we played them Shaw was back in at LB and Traore played on the right.

His performance wasn’t good against Sheffield it was bad. Just scoring a goal doesn’t all of a sudden improve everything you did in the previous 90 minutes.

I think he is decent and is quite raw but I do think people have blown some of his performances to grandiose levels and vastly overrated him.
I’m happy he is part of the team and want to see more of him, but I’m not jumping on this he’s the best thing since sliced bread bandwagon.
just glad it looks like we currently have 2 pretty good options at LB.

Ander herrera the warrior

Pretty much been poor every time he’s played as a wing back, clearly doesn’t suit him and I hope we stop forcing him to play there because he could lose confidence, which up to now has been one of his strengths.

Could probably do with a bit less playing time too, he seems tired at the moment, which is understandable at his age and experience.

Hopefully we revert to a back 4 for some easier games.
Agree with this. He just seems lost when we play him as a wing back in a back 5. He needs a left winger in front of him to kinda like guide him, and connect with him rather than asking him to do it all by himself.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn’t good but it’s a great experience for a young talented player to get to play in Europe.
I like him, he keeps going even if he’s not doing well.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I don’t think anybody is bothered that you don’t rate Williams, you’re not that important.
People just don’t like coming on here to read that we’re all wrong and you know best because you’re emotionally detached. It’s all very edgy and it adds nothing to discussion.
Just explain that you don’t think he’ll be good enough long term, you don’t have to go into CAF psychology and make page long essays about it.

ash_86

Don't think he's that comfortable in the playing as wing back. He seems to be better in 4 at the back. Forgettable day for him

Status
Not open for further replies.