Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewnited

Rough night for him yesterday. I do like that he always shows a lot of energy and application in defence, with some good last ditch blocks and tackles. Despite this, he gets left for dead by his opposing winger 2-3 times a game, which I fear could be a bigger problem in the final two games.
Our whole defence is error prone, but his errors seem to lead to chances for the opposition far more often which is a worry. He also isn't offering us anywhere near enough in attack, which i think is confidence issue more than anything.
Hopefully he gets his confidence back soon, even in the youth setup he seemed capable attacking down both flanks, but at the moment the fact that he's almost never in position offensively is hampering us massively.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
So was I, all were better than he was. Is this like when you said he was the 2nd best player against Chelsea when he was comfortably one of the worst and only you thought he was good?
Fred, Bruno,Bissaka,Maguire,Lindeloff,Bailly,Greenwood,Pogba,Mata, Matic

I like Fred but he was poor, Bruno looks shagged, AWB probably had his worst game in a United shirt, Maguire who I rate was average at best, Lindelof was better than Bailly, Bailly see previous comment, Greenwood goal-scoring opportunities apart was okay, Pogba hahaha, Mata made the difference so I revise my apart from Martial, and Matic wasn't up to his usual standard.

He was ok. He did what was expected of him but it's never going to be great with him on the left as he is so right footed. There is definitely a good player in him but i dont see him overcoming that at LB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was getting doubled teamed on his side all night.

Varela was pushing up high and using the width while the RW underlapped him, Williams couldn't really do much about it. Rashford needs to help him out more at times.

Thought he battled well and his passing was much better tonight.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Considering the circumstances I thought he did well. He got beat a couple of times, but over 120 minutes, in a European quarter final in hot conditions that is always going to happen.
He did a lot of things well though, some of his blocks were fantastic, I think in general the defence covered for each other well when one of them got beat.
In attack he still obviously has a long way to go, and as people say it might be a problem that he’s right footed. I think it’s extremely harsh to dig him out for last night though.

Krits

He is raw, but so far I like what I see. Mentality goes a long way in this sport and he seems to have the right stuff. He did make some mistakes but he also did some good stuff. He isn't a nailed on world class player, but for his age in a position that normally takes time to get some sort of maturity in play he is doing well.

Untd55

He tends to make average players look like Messi. It is far too frequent. His defensive game is pretty poor.

SSSSnake

Anyone notice him pointing at that rightback after winning a strong tackle? It was like he was saying “take that you prick” made me laugh anyways. He must have got done earlier In the game. Nice to see some fire from our players. I thought he was a solid 6/10. Made some vital clearances and made some decent runs all nighters. I don’t think he’ll ever be a starter but he’ll be very useful in the squad as cover.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I must admit that i am not fan of his. What can i say; i love complete full backs like Shaw. Good and reliable in defence and attack.
Football wise, Williams is a mess. He has football skill but he is not using it in attack. In defence he is tactically very poor.

But he can learn all those things. It is on coaches to teach him all that. But for now, i don't trust him at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought his effort was outstanding last night. 18/19 years old 120 mins in that heat and he was 110% the entire game. Made a few errors but so did Maguire, AWB and Bailey. If you’re looking for a defensive liability look no further than Bailey. For me Williams and Martial men of the match.
20 in 3 weeks. But yea, he’s young, I get the general point!

Roux

I love this kid - people have absurd expectations of a 19yo playing at the highest level. I actually think he's had a very good breakthrough season. Not everyone is going to be a Mason Greenwood and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes he'll make mistakes and he is very raw, but in a few years he could grow into a top player.

youngrell

Struggles more when Matic isn't on the field. Matic is always close by to give I'm an out ball as he cuts inside on his stronger foot, he doesn't get the same support when he's not on the pitch.

Can never fault his effort, though.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I'm gonna leave you Girls and Boys in peace to diss an Academy Graduate to you hearts content. If you don't feel he was one of a very small number on the night who just played the game, and not the occasion I or nobody else can help you.
Should we not scrutinise his performance in the Brandon Williams Performances thread just because he's an academy graduate?

Andersons Dietician

Fred, Bruno,Bissaka,Maguire,Lindeloff,Bailly,Greenwood,Pogba,Mata, Matic

I like Fred but he was poor, Bruno looks shagged, AWB probably had his worst game in a United shirt, Maguire who I rate was average at best, Lindelof was better than Bailly, Bailly see previous comment, Greenwood goal-scoring opportunities apart was okay, Pogba hahaha, Mata made the difference so I revise my apart from Martial, and Matic wasn't up to his usual standard.
Well if you think they were all poor and Williams had an “outstanding“ game then I just can’t take your posts seriously, I’m sorry. I’m sure it won’t be any loss to you but come on. You’re going overboard trying to compensate for the kid not playing well.

He is clearly a decent player, and I look forward to seeing how he develops although I think he’d be better to commit to being a RB. It really Stands out when he has to defend and keeps going with the wrong foot. Probably in part to why he gets beaten so easily.

Andersons Dietician

Struggles more when Matic isn't on the field. Matic is always close by to give I'm an out ball as he cuts inside on his stronger foot, he doesn't get the same support when he's not on the pitch.

Can never fault his effort, though.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true when you think how much Fred protected him against Traore when we played Wolves. Fred is also always offering him an out ball as well.

youngrell

I don’t think that’s necessarily true when you think how much Fred protected him against Traore when we played Wolves. Fred is also always offering him an out ball as well.
Fred does help, but Matic offers more protection to the defence as a whole and seems to take Williams under his wing especially. It's not a slight on Williams, he's young and learning and I think Matic is doing great helping him out.

It was more evident against Leicester where Williams found it really tough in the first half and Matic was on hand time and time again. I don't think Fred works quite as well in tight spaces.

youngrell

What is he good at? And please don’t say he’s fast, hard working & tenacious. I mean at football, what is he good at?
Those 3 things are quite important for a start.

As for his abilities, he's good at shielding the ball, carrying it upfield and he has plenty of conviction in his passing – sometimes it seems very risky but he backs himself to play balls inside in tight situations.

Needs to work on his positioning and probably needs to be a bit more composed in and out of possession, but he's young so plenty of time to improve.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I love this kid - people have absurd expectations of a 19yo playing at the highest level. I actually think he's had a very good breakthrough season. Not everyone is going to be a Mason Greenwood and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes he'll make mistakes and he is very raw, but in a few years he could grow into a top player.
People have expectations of a player playing for Manchester United. The fact that Williams is 19 is his problem. The reason why our entire team is not full of 19 year olds is that it is unusual that 19 year olds are good enough/ready enough to play for Manchester United.

It isn’t ‘okay’ that he isn’t a Mason Greenwood. We don’t, or shouldn’t just put 19 year olds in our team every game. Greenwood is in the team BECAUSE he is Mason Greenwood - i.e, a rarity of an 18 year old who is good enough to play RIGHT NOW. People love academy kids so much that they seem to think that we should just have teenagers in our team, with any performances they turn in considered to be a bonus, just let them do as they please while they figure their game out.

If we put a 5 year old up front for us every week, I expect him to score goals. It’s okay if a 5 year old, generally speaking, isn’t ready or good enough to play for Manchester United, but it is NOT okay that a 5 year old who is being selected to play for Manchester United is not good enough. Anyone who puts on the shirt, 19 or 39, has to be expected to meet our standard. People seem to think that our standard is less important than the player’s standard. What is more important to them is the standard we can expect from that individual, not the standard we should demand from ANY individual.

How can anyone advocate knowingly having low expectations from a player in our team?! Surely that player shouldn’t be there then, at least not yet.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was fine last night, there isn't much you can expect of him when he has absolutely no protection from his winger and he gets doubled up on all night. Considering that to be the case I actually think he fared rather well in a defensive performance that was largely excellent.

He also created the most amount of chances in the side so going forward he had a much better game than he has had recently as well. Finding it hard to see where the criticism is coming from other than from the usual crowd who would rather see us do away with our youth sides altogether and just buy players.

ur2cdanger

Varela was constantly pushing and lot of times he was left 1 v 2. I didn't see Rashford tracking back any time (Not that I want him to like Jose). They took a chance of pushing up Varela a lot. It was upto Rashford to use of the space left behind by Varela. But instead yesterday Rashford just turned back and passed back to Brandon all the time. I have nothing to blame him yesterday. It was Rashford not doing much either attack wise or defense wise that left Brandon to do a lot.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought he was great yesterday. A terrific comeback from a run of poor form including saving a certain goal with that header. MotM for me, not that that there was much competition for that role really outside of maybe Maguire and Martial.

Sevilla 2:1 Man Utd

Stadjer

Pretty bad as a left back since he cant defend. First goal he lost his man and for the second goal he just let Navas cross.

Okay-ish when there are three at the back to protect and cover for him but not a very good lb. Shaw is much better.

K_Ash

hopefully for his sake, he gets moved to RB...pretty much cost us a Final

Idxomer

He's basically useless if he's not close to the attacker while defending. The sad thing is you could say the same about AWB.

izec

Exposed today, rubbish on both ends. He will be a squad player for a decade though, while never being good enough.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's enthusiasm is infectious and he does well in one Vs one duels, but like the rest of our defence he's not great when the ball is wide. I won't be too harsh cos he's a kid. However, on the first goal he's gotta look over his shoulder at where Suso is when the cross comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.