Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A breah of fresh air. He is right footed but the fact that he can go often go on the outside creates confusion and makes him more unpredictable than "one trick Young"

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Could not watch the match. Does this kid look like he could become our first choice LB by next season? I don't expect him to take many starts from Young but lets be honest, Shaw is not really being missed all that much in my opinion. As over the hill as Young is, he's holding down that LB role while Shaw has been out.
I had honestly forgotten completely about Shaw the other day.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Hopefully he can keep improving so we don't need to spend money on a left back in the summer. So far he has impressed me & pretty sure impressed others too. I have seen him captaining our U21 or U23 team, has leadership talent.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Even though it sounds counter-intuitive, right-footedness shouldn't disqualify him from being a potential solution at left-back, IMO — provided a balance or symbiotic understanding can be struck between him and the wide attacker through the left flank, particularly wrt. movement and structure of under/over-lap to engage both channels. Irwin was primarily right footed, ditto 4 of the 6-7 greatest left-backs in football: Maldini, Nílton, Krol, Facchetti. Lahm made inroads as a left-back at Stuttgart or with the German national team (with Arne Friedrich on the right) before moving permanently to right-back, too. If Williams can work on his end product and the timing of his runs, as well as crosses with the left peg, the fact that he will use his stronger foot to thwart inverted wingers or inside forwards on the flank and naturally drift inwards to playmake/dribble near the midfield zone could even be a bonus.

That being said, he or Greenwood/Garner shouldn't be considered as a genuine options for consistent starting roles for the near future — we've tended to put too much pressure on young players in recent years, instead of introducing them slowly, and many of them have wilted as a consequence of our over-eagerness. I'd definitely sign a starter along the lines of Tagliafico because Shaw can't always be counted upon and Young is approaching the end of his United career. The presence of a consistent senior starter should theoretically give Williams a decent cushion.

FirstTouch

I don't understand why you don't think he can be a regular now.

If you're good enough etc.

Alexander Arnold was a regular at Liverpool when he was a year younger than Williams is now.

Williams is physically strong and we're currently playing young at left back who wouldn't start for a championship team.

King Andow

Hopefully we ship Young out in January and Williams takes his spot. Won't do worse right now (showed more in one game than Ol' Ash in ages) and will only get better playing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Alexander Arnold was a regular at Liverpool when he was a year younger than Williams is now.

Williams is physically strong and we're currently playing young at left back who wouldn't start for a championship team.
Trent was also in a much better team and had little pressure on him.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Yes he would.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trent was also in a much better team and had little pressure on him.
How did Trent have little pressure? At Liverpool there's always pressure just like there's always pressure at Utd.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How did Trent have little pressure? At Liverpool there's always pressure just like there's always pressure at Utd.
Like I said, much better team, had leaders in there to guide him and players helped carry the slack, not to mention the famously excellent man-manager, Klopp, at the helm. At United we expect the world of our youth players, we’re very quick to turn on our players which adds to the pressure, just see any of the other youth threads from this season if you need any proof. I’m not saying there isn’t any pressure at all but it’s currently eased dramatically by a number of factors.

Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a fantastic performance.

Can’t be easy playing your 3rd match away at Stamford bridge but he absolutely bossed it.

against somebody like Hudson odoi as well, he is ready.

the boy is bloody quick too!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like his enthusiasm but he was comfortably bypassed today. All of Chelsea's attacks were down his side.

Expect him to be loaned out next season.

Raw

He's been brilliant! Can't believe how easily he slotted in at LB.

Could displace Shaw if he keeps it up. Or at the very least, he'll be very good backup to him.

mu4c_20le

Love this kid, he's my favorite academy product at the moment. As long as he steers clear of major injuries, he'll always be a bright spark

Litch

Thought he was superb. He's like what Shaw looked like when he was at Southampton

thepolice123

Need to see more from him at the attacking side. Can't remember any worthwhile contribution he made there.

TrustInOle

Had CHO in his pocket most of the game, and that challenge at this end when pedro knocked it backwards into a running Chelsea player, he turns and blocks the cross, easy as you like! Really, really growing on this lad. Ole really does seem to have

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Raw but an engine big enough on him to take him far.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was really good today. Bit scary sometimes when he was sliding in and using the wrong foot to tackle but he was getting away with it. I’d probably go with him being my man of the match.

Baxter

Was given up a proper game against their right hand side, and Rojo didn’t help, but there’s a lot of talent there.

In Rainbows

Need to see more from him at the attacking side. Can't remember any worthwhile contribution he made there.
Think his engine is carrying him thus far. So he's not lighting it up, but it's excellent that his engine is buying him time to improve on that front.

RUCK4444

I really like the look of this kid, he’s been thrown into some big games considering they are his first games for the first team. Playing with almost no help from Rojo either :lol:

What an experience for him. He’s got decent pace and seems good in the tackle.

A couple of really good moments stopping good chances for Chelsea. Would be nice for us to be sorted at fullback positions for the foreseeable

Ballache

Supports
Martial
The guy is fearless. He needs to work on his left foot more if he is to be a lb but very encouraging start. I love seeing academy players do well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Came under real pressure tonight from Hudson-Odoi. That baptism of fire will stand him in good stead. Showed a lot of maturity. This will be very good for his development.

Crashoutcassius

Young managed taa out of the game a few weeks ago... and has one of the highest chances created in the team. The criticism this year hasn't been based on his performances anyway

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That was quite the performance. Man of the match for me with McTominay, James and Fred tied for second. His engine is incredible, and his overall game is very mature. He is very good on the ball, keeps it quick and makes the right choices. Shaw doesn't have the engine required for a fullback and is slower than Williams too. Honestly, if this kid can continue his transition to this level like he did today and eventually get to a consistent level he can be one of the best, or at least good enough for a top club. His style is exactly what we look for in a LB. Quick, defensively trained, with a great cross on him and engine for days.

We'll definitely see a lot more from him offensively as an overlapping fullback when we face teams that sit back. If thats not enough, he actually has the quality of vision, and technique of pass to occasionally open up play from central positions which is a very nice bonus skillset.

ArjenIsM3

It was a big game and it showed. Nervous start and for the first 30 minutes didn't do anything but play backpasses or lose the ball. Luckily he improved a bit after that, especially defensively with some good tackles.

mu4c_20le

That's how you take out a dangerous winger. CHO was quiet the rest of the match

Status
Not open for further replies.