Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is true, it's difficult for him in an attacking sense playing down the left when he strongly favours his right, but given he AWB doesn't get injured much and was bough for big money recently, rightly or wrongly, I don't think he'd be given the opportunity. Do agree though that he's better and showed more than the 3 I mentioned though.
I don’t think he’s looked a better LB than CBJ did under Van Gaal at all. He at least showed something, he put brilliant crosses in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was positionally all over the place even in the u18s. I thinks it’s actually impressive it’s taken this long for him to start falling apart in the first team. Unfortunately, his ability on the ball in the u18s which made up for his defensive woes seem to be non-existent in the first team.
I don't know if it's a confidence issue or just wanting to play it safe but he never seems to take any attacking risks going forward anymore, he doesn't seem to have a lot of trust in his final ball at the moment, he barely ever tries to take on the opposition full backs which I always felt he did so well when he was in the youth team.

Remember the geese

This is all purely hypothetical and speculative, but here goes.

I really like Brandon and what he brings. He has a great attitude and he plays the game in a way that makes it really easy for fans to get behind him, you would think. A bit old school. Yes, it's easy to glorify these traits and fall into the trap of thinking these characteristics alone are enough to make him 'worthy of the shirt'. They obviously aren't, but it's also too simplistic to say that he only offers intangible qualities like passion and desire.

Truth is, I do fear for him a little. I hear the calls to use him exclusively as Wan-Bissaka's deputy, but the problem he has there is fitness permitting, Ethan Laird is a much better player than him. It (should) be Laird and Wan-Bissaka as our right back's going forward.

Ok, keep him at left back then? The problem he has there, is Luke Shaw. Or, more specifically, Luke Shaw's ability to stay fit. Shaw has possibly had one of his least injury hit season's of his career, yet you still feel that Brandon has played too much football relative to his current level of ability. Not his fault of course. For me, Shaw either needs to become this super robust Patrice Evra like being, or more likely, Brandon needs to step up and improve with the opportunities that Shaw's potential recurring injury issues will provide him with. Obviously we hope this is the case, but the fear is that the more football Brandon plays, the more apparent it becomes that he isn't currently good enough to be playing as much as he does, or potentially will do, at this level.

Therefore it is quite possible that in the next year or so, there is investment made in the left back position. If this is the case, you just have to hope from his point of view that the club deems him to be the worthy deputy to any potential left back arrival and not Luke Shaw.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Showed his lack of experiences, awareness and football intelligence.
For the first goal - don't know why he gets close to the first man since Mag is nearby. The player at the far left is free.

Showed his lack of defensive quality.
For the second goal - letting the cross in.

I mean we know he is a good squad player... says a lot about the poor overall options that we have.

Web of Bissaka

I don't know if it's a confidence issue or just wanting to play it safe but he never seems to take any attacking risks going forward anymore, he doesn't seem to have a lot of trust in his final ball at the moment, he barely ever tries to take on the opposition full backs which I always felt he did so well when he was in the youth team.
This.
That's his best selling point when he breakthrough first half of this season.

Shame we're not seeing that anymore.
Think it's a combination of confidence issue and possibly some "coaching/instructions" by the coaches to keep it safe.

kkengvib

I think he would be more effective as a RB backing up AWB?
Whenever he overlaps or gets to the byline, he doesn't have the confidence to cross with his left and always checks back on his right.

I also agree with other posters here that he's making less runs to overlap and providing options for the winger... which is what Shaw was providing Rashford with.
I'd love to get Reguilon in on the left to start/compete with Shaw and move Williams to the right

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's done a job this season but I'm sure we'd be in a much better place squad wise if we buy a quality left footed left back and make him the competition at right back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
With how he looked like he'd already ran two marathons, and the fact that Rashford couldn't really be relied upon to track back/do his defensive work for him, he probably is reluctant to over commit due to then potentially being caught out.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

Either stood still ball watching or sprinting after being caught out of position. May prove us all wrong, but currently he's miles off being good enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I really like Brandon and what he brings. He has a great attitude and he plays the game in a way that makes it really easy for fans to get behind him, you would think. A bit old school. Yes, it's easy to glorify these traits and fall into the trap of thinking these characteristics alone are enough to make him 'worthy of the shirt'. They obviously aren't, but it's also too simplistic to say that he only offers intangible qualities like passion and desire.

Truth is, I do fear for him a little. I hear the calls to use him exclusively as Wan-Bissaka's deputy, but the problem he has there is fitness permitting, Ethan Laird is a much better player than him. It (should) be Laird and Wan-Bissaka as our right back's going forward.

Ok, keep him at left back then? The problem he has there, is Luke Shaw. Or, more specifically, Luke Shaw's ability to stay fit. Shaw has possibly had one of his least injury hit season's of his career, yet you still feel that Brandon has played too much football relative to his current level of ability. Not his fault of course. For me, Shaw either needs to become this super robust Patrice Evra like being, or more likely, Brandon needs to step up and improve with the opportunities that Shaw's potential recurring injury issues will provide him with. Obviously we hope this is the case, but the fear is that the more football Brandon plays, the more apparent it becomes that he isn't currently good enough to be playing as much as he does, or potentially will do, at this level.

Therefore it is quite possible that in the next year or so, there is investment made in the left back position. If this is the case, you just have to hope from his point of view that the club deems him to be the worthy deputy to any potential left back arrival and not Luke Shaw.
Well we’ve got no choice now. He’s hoodwinked Ole into giving him a huge deal that no other club more befitting of his level would match, so he’ll be in and around the squad for a few years. Also probably because it may be a while until we are in a financial position to buy a new left back. Of we did bring in another left back within 12 months, my guess is that Williams will spend much of the rest of his 5 year deal on loan, before an eventual permanent move.

Idxomer

I’ve been meaning to start a deeper thread about squad players, as I suspect many have different opinions on what this means. For me, every player, including squad players, need to be good enough to start, in the main. The squad players just have someone better in front, but they themselves, are good enough.
You see it here a lot when many criticize players for their performances and end their post with "but he would be fine as a squad player" which is really the crux of the problem. I'm not talking here specifically about Williams but most of the time these players shouldn't be even at the club and shouldn't be given that many chances to prove themselves. The likes of Lingard and Rojo aren't squad players, they basically become deadwood after 2 or 3 years in the 1st team and they're happy to just coast along with barely contributing anything. That's how the team ends up with an overall weak squad while also having guaranteed starters that are actually more suited to the role of being fine as squad players.

Remember the geese

Well we’ve got no choice now. He’s hoodwinked Ole into giving him a huge deal that no other club more befitting of his level would match, so he’ll be in and around the squad for a few years. Also probably because it may be a while until we are in a financial position to buy a new left back. Of we did bring in another left back within 12 months, my guess is that Williams will spend much of the rest of his 5 year deal on loan, before an eventual permanent move.
Yeah Brandon's improved wage could be a bit prohibitive to some potential buyers, although I could potentially see a Leicester, West Ham or Everton taking a chance on him further down the line. There is also the possibility that in the event we do sign a new left back in the next 12 months, Shaw is the one who will be offloaded. He is obviously on even bigger wages and may want to be the first choice left back elsewhere.

Smores

We've hardly ever had decent backup in those full back positions. Williams is fine the lads only 19 he's going to make mistakes on the way ffs.

We're not City we aren't going spend huge sums on having two first 11s whilst ignoring our youth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah Brandon's improved wage could be a bit prohibitive to some potential buyers, although I could potentially see a Leicester, West Ham or Everton taking a chance on him further down the line. There is also the possibility that in the event we do sign a new left back in the next 12 months, Shaw is the one who will be offloaded. He is obviously on even bigger wages and may want to be the first choice left back elsewhere.
I don’t know, the likes of Everton, Leicester and West Ham are the type of club we are usually trying to take left backs off them! And for those clubs, £65k a week for what Brandon Williams represents will likely upset their wage structure. Their star midfielder or winger may be on that sort of amount.

I don’t see us offloading Shaw simply because I don’t see the profile of the left back we may possibly go for in the near future as one we would look to move Shaw on for. Mainly due to funds. It is more likely to be a prospect that a £50-£70m full back I reckon, so he would likely take the profile in the squad that Williams has at first anyway.

marktan

We need a stronger backup LB, Shaw's been injured probably every season we've had him. I rate Shaw higher than most do but his one black mark is injuries. We need a starter for LB to fight it out with Shaw.

As for Williams, he's tenacious and decent on the ball, but he needs to move to RB asap and show something there because he's shown nothing special at LB. Everything just screams average. You think back to someone like Rafael who played for us at the same age and he was leagues ahead of Williams both in defence and attack. I have hope Williams can be decent on the right if he's able to overlap and provide width on his right foot, but if he continuess at LB he's destined to be in the Championship in a season or two.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Outstanding? Not sure which game you were watching mate.
Maybe not outstanding but he wasn't half as bad as some of the previous comments would suggest he was. Time for some balance methinks.
I’ve concluded that he’s Brandon’s dad. Just read this thread. He even thinks he’s better than Shaw.
Don't know why our Brandon bought me a car because he knows I can't drive, pisses the neighbours of good and proper though, thanks Son

I don't think I know, he's a far superior footballer to Shaw, and has far better game understanding.

Insane it’s like he’s watching entirely different game. Either he is his dad or she is his gf
I might be his much older boyfriend ....
He's clearly on the Williams payroll.
A suspicious Copper, now there's a first!

I was going with Grandad. I can’t decide if he is truly serious or if he is just trolling. A lot of it is just absolute nonsense. Example “outstanding”:lol:
Welcome to the Internet.

Lynty

Spot on

Andersons Dietician

I don't think I know, he's a far superior footballer to Shaw, and has far better game understanding.
If you truly believe that then fine you’re entitled to your opinion. I think most will think that is crazy and to be honest I don’t see how anyone can remotely think Williams has better “game understanding” than Shaw does. To say he is a superior footballer is also way way out there. For me he is no where near the ability of Shaw in terms of footballing ability. Touch, passing, defending, reading play, none of it. Maybe in 3 years he could be better but from his current point there just isn’t a chance in hell.

jesperjaap

Pretty much agree with what you are saying longer term. Though Ethan Laird wise, we dont know if he is a better player than him yet, as you are I presume talking about youth level, and the step up is a very different thing.

I do think people are being harsh on Williams though, debut season for a 19 year old out of position, he has actually been excellent and handled the step up well, he isnt going to be the finished article and he is goin gto make mistakes, you can accept that from somebody his age unlike other defenders I wont mention.

We dont know how Laird will handle the step up, so there is an opportunity there and well....seems many on here dont think much of Bissaka and one of them could actually replace him, though I dont agree (tho not seen anything near enough of Laird to comment on him).

Left back wise he is excellent cover for Shaw, pretty much every other club in the league bar maybe Man City would have him as the second choice left back....but as you mention with Shaws injuries second choice could pretty much be first choice 50% of the time and is he ready for that? Have only seen about an hour of Nuno Mendes but I was seriously impressed....I dont think we will do anything this summer though at left back and unless we are spedning a fortune fixing everything wrong in our squad (virtually zero chance currently, not that we would anyway) or we simply fail to get the majority of our targets that we have the money for a left back (which wouldnt be good) then neither should we this summer as cm/dm/rw and other positions squad wise take priority at the moment, we are fine for full backs numbers wise

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Williams barely belongs in the Premier League at the moment, far superior footballer to Shaw is quite possibly in the top few most ridiculous things I’ve read here. Shaw is one of our best players. Williams is a well out of his depth.

sport2793

Williams barely belongs in the Premier League at the moment, far superior footballer to Shaw is quite possibly in the top few most ridiculous things I’ve read here. Shaw is one of our best players. Williams is a well out of his depth.
While I can't stand player bashing normally on the CAF, I think it is very rational, and reasonable, to believe that Brandon Williams is out of his depth defensively and very average going forward. There is plenty of data to back this up. While he's young and can improve I don't think he will ever be good enough to be first choice at United. He, along with Lindelof, cost us dearly yesterday. I've never seen Shaw cost us to that level, very good defensively and doesn't lose the ball cheaply, my criticism of him is his final third play, which one can hope he continues to improve on.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
People had to wait a while for him to be labeled error prone defensively, last game of the season and he was at fault with lazy positioning during goals and here we go. I don't think he has been poor but Shaw was way better before his injury.

remo

While I can't stand player bashing normally on the CAF, I think it is very rational, and reasonable, to believe that Brandon Williams is out of his depth defensively and very average going forward. There is plenty of data to back this up. While he's young and can improve I don't think he will ever be good enough to be first choice at United. He, along with Lindelof, cost us dearly yesterday. I've never seen Shaw cost us to that level, very good defensively and doesn't lose the ball cheaply, my criticism of him is his final third play, which one can hope he continues to improve on.
This is spot on - WIlliams is going to be 20 in a few weeks and it doesn't look like he is ever going to become Shaw. I love his drive, passion but if talent is not there there is nothing Ole can do. Most games his job is "do no harm" and people are happy. I want to see at least one good cross, at least one good tactical decision - it's just not there. I have a feeling that he is going to be just an average squad player. And honestly - I will be very happy if I'm wrong.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Showed his lack of experiences, awareness and football intelligence.
For the first goal - don't know why he gets close to the first man since Mag is nearby. The player at the far left is free.

Showed his lack of defensive quality.
For the second goal - letting the cross in.

I mean we know he is a good squad player... says a lot about the poor overall options that we have.
Are you expecting a FB to block all attempted crosses? And the cross was by Navas, still one of the best crosser around.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I appreciate your blessing sir.

And I’m not sure what ‘player bashing’ is, at least on this occasion. I mean, how am I supposed to approach the awkward situation of a United player that I don’t think is good? Glowingly and with praise?

I agree about the personal stuff, and I’ve been a big advocate against that myself with the likes of Pogba and Lingard. I don’t dislike Williams as a person, but I don’t think he’s a good enough footballer to be at a club like ours.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nope but Williams lets in a few too many.
He did blame William for letting that cross in. You can fault him if he was letting the winger went pass him, or didn't attempt to block the cross.
But unless you're Wan Bissaka, most crosses were usually delivered. It's up to the CBs to deal with them. We had two (plus Gk) against one on the penalty box when that cross was in. Two defenders were day dreaming, and the Gk glued to his goal line, fully knowing only one opponent inside his box. So those players should take all the blame.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How do you rate Laird's potential compared to Wiliams @limerickcitykid
To be a bit blunt, a lot better.

Laird is top tier talent. When you’re talking the best talents to come through in years, Laird is in that conversation. Williams just isn’t, he’s that next bracket or two down.

Laird is more physical, he’s more solid defensively, and I think he’s better going forward too. And maybe it’s just a personal preference of play style, but he’s far less erratic too. I think he’s far less likely to be found charging about recklessly and being 10 yards off his man.

Although, I give Williams credit he’s managed to keep himself in check a lot in the first team. Conversely though, it seems to have come at the expense of what made him so great at youth level which was getting on the ball. I’m not sure if he’s holding back or he’s just not capable of doing what he did against tougher opposition.

Williams has also virtually never played RB for the u18s, u23s or first team. So who knows, maybe he actually is far better on the right. But at the same time I kind of doubt it. Laird still has to make that step up too which is never a certainty. But as a guessing game I’d say Laird will have the better future and I hope we get to see him introduced more next season.

Carl S Bridge

We've hardly ever had decent backup in those full back positions. Williams is fine the lads only 19 he's going to make mistakes on the way ffs.

We're not City we aren't going spend huge sums on having two first 11s whilst ignoring our youth.
Greenwood is 18, have you noticed the difference in quality? Williams works hard and plays hard but ultimately he isn't good enough and won't be. At least not at left back, right back perhaps but everyone seems to rate this Ethan laird, so he might find himself getting ousted there too.

Foxbatt

Yes it's his fault for letting in the first goal but a top keeper would have helped him by shouting about his man.
Rashford didn't help him either by not tracking Jesus and he did have two players to deal with most of the time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe not outstanding but he wasn't half as bad as some of the previous comments would suggest he was. Time for some balance methinks.

Don't know why our Brandon bought me a car because he knows I can't drive, pisses the neighbours of good and proper though, thanks Son

I might be his much older boyfriend ....

A suspicious Copper, now there's a first!

Welcome to the Internet.
What you think you know is wrong I'm afraid.
Williams isn't anywhere near Shaw's level.

I don't think you'll find very many at all agreeing with you

Class of 63

Sourness
If you truly believe that then fine you’re entitled to your opinion. I think most will think that is crazy and to be honest I don’t see how anyone can remotely think Williams has better “game understanding” than Shaw does. To say he is a superior footballer is also way way out there. For me he is no where near the ability of Shaw in terms of footballing ability. Touch, passing, defending, reading play, none of it. Maybe in 3 years he could be better but from his current point there just isn’t a chance in hell.
The game understanding as much refers to him knowing when the ball is on the opposite flank when to move forward and how far forward without being prompted, Shaw doesn't, and if he hasn't worked it out after 7/8 as a senior pro he probably never will. It pains me to agree with anything Mourinho ever says but he was bang on the money when he said of Shaw that he needs radio controlling from the sidelines which you wouldn't expect of a guy who we made the most expensive teenager in the world at the time and paid obscene wages to since he was 18.

Class of 63

Sourness
It's funny that you say he barely belongs in the Premier League at the moment yet in our last match in the Premier League, and in quite possibly our most important PL match since SAF's time at the club he was widely regarded as our Man of the Match.

See you saw and raised my most ridiculous things you've read here by saying Shaw is one of our better players, respect.

Smores

Greenwood is 18, have you noticed the difference in quality? Williams works hard and plays hard but ultimately he isn't good enough and won't be. At least not at left back, right back perhaps but everyone seems to rate this Ethan laird, so he might find himself getting ousted there too.
Greenwood isn't the level to which every young player is to be rated. That's ridiculous, especially a young defender.

Class of 63

Sourness
What you think you know is wrong I'm afraid.
Williams isn't anywhere near Shaw's level.

I don't think you'll find very many at all agreeing with you
You'd be surprised how many of those that have got half a clue of what they are actually watching would, but some times it's just not worth the hassle of posting it when the forums very own boys in black have got their ganders up being offended that somebody shock horror may be of a differing opinion.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's funny that you say he barely belongs in the Premier League at the moment yet in our last match in the Premier League, and in quite possibly our most important PL match since SAF's time at the club he was widely regarded as our Man of the Match.

See you saw and raised my most ridiculous things you've read here by saying Shaw is one of our better players, respect.
Widely regarded as our Man of the Match? He got 3% of the votes in the match day thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.