Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Relentless down that left side. Constant running in behind, pushing back the opposition, being an outlet for us. Fantastic again today. Deserved a goal but it just wasn't meant to be. God only knows how it missed his chance, though. :lol: Other than that, absolutely phenomenal again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The poor lad’s going to have to play against Salah next match after only just playing against Mahrez.

MiracleInMadrid

Exactly what is Shaw better at? The few things he may be marginally better at, I think Williams more than make up for by being so more useful going forward. Brandon is inspiring and has character. Something Shaw is completely drained for.

-Supreme-

Shows the importance of attacking full backs when you’re breaking down teams. The difference between him and AWB is staggering and I’m not talking about chance creation, but just the movement alone is crucial.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when teams figure out he’s always going to cut onto his right. Out of interest, has he played right back much?
This is why it'd be hard for him to be successful at LB being right footed player in this modern game, especially when all our left forwards are right footed.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's been very good going forward and rightly taken Shaw's place. He'll have his biggest test next week at Anfield. I'm sure they'll target him at Anfield. Hopefully, he keeps his cool.

DoomSlayer

If he can consistently play like today, the lad can even be called up for England. I'm actually extremely surprised how explosive Williams is with the ball at his feet, he is deceptively quick!

Uniteddy

So impressive today!

I really loved some of his first touches. He had the vision and technique to beat his man with an aggressive attacking first touch. He did it several times and helped set the tempo today.

Lucky to have him, his decision making and positioning will only get better too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can't help but really like the lad... He's pretty much a bag of everything.

Shame he's not left footed, think it impacts him a lot when he's forward and wide, but he's still doing well regardless

AR87

This is why it'd be hard for him to be successful at LB being right footed player in this modern game, especially when all our left forwards are right footed.
He's been pretty decent at crossing on his left though I've thought. When he dribbles he likes to come inside, but his overlapping runs on the outside and crossing with his left has generally been good.

Fosu-Mens

The poor lad’s going to have to play against Salah next match after only just playing against Mahrez.
Should play Shaw against Liverpool. As much as I don't like Peppa Pig, he is better suited to play in deep defence. Williams is to high risk and inexperienced to go up against Salah and TAA.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he's right footed wouldn't he arguably be better against players like Salah cutting in all the time?

Shaw has been rubbish defensively anyway - I'd rather put some pressure on TAA by putting Williams and Rashford there than keep Shaw and do nothing.

dutchred

Great for his development!
I agree. Dont hide him. I believe he has the character even if he has a bad time to bounce back. He doesn't strike me as the type who will be destroyed by a poor performnce. Also playing him and Radford left might nullify TAA

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some shaky moments, but overall a very good game, again. Should definitely play against Liverpool.

Raven

I'm pretty excited about Williams, looks a phenomenal talent but anyone who's saying he's better than Shaw in every department is delusional. Shaw is still a better LB overall but I wouldn't doubt Brandon changing that by the start of next season.

-Supreme-

He's been pretty decent at crossing on his left though I've thought. When he dribbles he likes to come inside, but his overlapping runs on the outside and crossing with his left has generally been good.
Yes he looked decent with his crossing on his left foot (for a right footed player), of course he is only a kid and can only improve but we'd be expecting too much of him to use his wrong foot consistently.

DVG7

:lol:
If he's right footed wouldn't he arguably be better against players like Salah cutting in all the time?

Shaw has been rubbish defensively anyway - I'd rather put some pressure on TAA by putting Williams and Rashford there than keep Shaw and do nothing.
Yes, I do think right footed defenders can have great games against a left footed RW. One of Ashley young’s best ever games as a full back came playing on the left against Salah.

I remember a game in Spain where there was a big deal being made out of the right back being switched to left back to cope with messi, and then he took him on the outside and embarrassed him for 20 mins before they ended the experiment and put him back to the right side :lol:

criticalanalysis

All guns blazing performance.

Love the energy and attacking intent.

Just need more games to find that balance and of course to gain experience. I'm worried about that but who knows, the kid has shown a lot of maturity thus far.

Next game will be interesting if he starts.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I'm pretty excited about Williams, looks a phenomenal talent but anyone who's saying he's better than Shaw in every department is delusional. Shaw is still a better LB overall but I wouldn't doubt Brandon changing that by the start of next season.
Williams is a much better player than Shaw. Shaw’s career has been non descript, disappointing really. Offers nothing going forward and is okay in defence. Doesn’t have any major fight within him, just such a mediocre player with no redeeming qualities.

I would start Brendan every week over Shaw.

dutchred

The nice thing is Devine looks like an exceptional talent in the youth team. We are lucky having AWB, Laird, Devine, Williams and Dalot

AltiUn

The nice thing is Devine looks like an exceptional talent in the youth team. We are lucky having AWB, Laird, Devine, Williams and Dalot
Laird surely can't be far off a first team call up.

Raven

Adds nothing to the discussion
Williams is a much better player than Shaw. Shaw’s career has been non descript, disappointing really. Offers nothing going forward and is okay in defence. Doesn’t have any major fight within him, just such a mediocre player with no redeeming qualities.

I would start Brendan every week over Shaw.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but your's is rubbish.

Castia

Shame about the miss because I thought he had another great game. I love the way he bombs forward and he doesn't take any shit he's more than willing to dive into a challenge if he needs to. Looks like he could become a real top player.

izec

He is putting up a proper fight for that LB spot, most probably have him in front of Shaw. Hard to disagree

Castia

Shaw has been a massive failure for us, he was one of the top young full backs in Europe and was expected to be a nailed on star but with the injuries, weight problems and lack of form he's ended up a mediocre left back who's probably lucky to be at a decent club on a huge contract. He's got West Ham or Villa written all over him, about as mediocre as it gets. 4-5 years at the club and atleast 3 of those years are a complete waste of time.

izec

Shaw has been a massive failure for us, he was one of the top young full backs in Europe and was expected to be a nailed on star but with the injuries, weight problems and lack of form he's ended up a mediocre left back who's probably lucky to be at a decent club on a huge contract. He's got West Ham or Villa written all over him, about as mediocre as it gets.
If one or two of the youth fullbacks turn out to be good players, Shaw wont be here in a few years. And if he will, he wont play much when everyone is fit. He either takes it seriously and uses the opportunities he has to get in shape (medical, diet, sports science etc) or his United career will go downhill quite quickly in the coming years. He was only playing by us having absolute no competition on his position. He was decent last year, but has gone downhill again this season. He strikes me as a guy who has not that much motivation to make it to the top. He is in his comfort zone and enjoys that level, rather than kick on. He puts in the minimum effort necessary to get back into the side and fades away again now that he got his big contract

AltiUn

Should play Shaw against Liverpool. As much as I don't like Peppa Pig, he is better suited to play in deep defence. Williams is to high risk and inexperienced to go up against Salah and TAA.
Shaw got injured in the warm up today so I don't think we have a lot of choice, as long as we don't leave Williams as exposed as we did against City in the first half I think he'll be fine. He's no Wan-Bissaka but he can handle himself defensively, just needs to avoid diving in against Salah because with his feet you're asking for trouble.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Im sorry but I don’t think my opinion is rubbish.

he’s a decent defender, nothing special. His attacking input is woeful, he doesn’t make the correct runs, doesn’t put a decent ball in the box and most importantly, his attacking stats are absolutely shocking.

he’s a mediocre fullback at best, nothing special about him at all. In fact, he just isn’t that good.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Question, is Williams really that good or have we just become so untuned to have an attacking (with end product) FB?

Howson mentioned it on one of his videos the other day, come the summer England's first choice LB will probably be Rose and Chilwell but if either of them are ruled out could Williams get a call?

Im sorry but I don’t think my opinion is rubbish.

he’s a decent defender, nothing special. His attacking input is woeful, he doesn’t make the correct runs, doesn’t put a decent ball in the box and most importantly, his attacking stats are absolutely shocking.

he’s a mediocre fullback at best, nothing special about him at all. In fact, he just isn’t that good.
just after a game in which he won a pen and got himself into a scoring position, which he clearly should have scored from.

I agree with the other poster - your opinion is garbage!

AltiUn

just after a game in which he won a pen and got himself into a scoring position, which he clearly should have scored from.

I agree with the other poster - your opinion is garbage!
I think @Jake made those comments regarding Shaw, not Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.