Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Im sorry but I don’t think my opinion is rubbish.

he’s a decent defender, nothing special. His attacking input is woeful, he doesn’t make the correct runs, doesn’t put a decent ball in the box and most importantly, his attacking stats are absolutely shocking.

he’s a mediocre fullback at best, nothing special about him at all. In fact, he just isn’t that good.
I don't think your opinion is rubbish, but I think it's harsh to rule Brandon out or on the reverse side say he's categorically our LB for the next 10 years is also ludicrous, but he deserves a chance to continue playing after some good form.

What I think we can all agree on is Brandon is our best option for the remainder of the season at left back unless we make a crazy signing like Chilwelll.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Question, is Williams really that good or have we just become so untuned to have an attacking (with end product) FB?

Howson mentioned it on one of his videos the other day, come the summer England's first choice LB will probably be Rose and Chilwell but if either of them are ruled out could Williams get a call?
Think Chillwell has it in the bag. Brandon hasn't even capped at U21 yet. Rose has always been in and out of the team, Southgate preferred Young over him in the World Cup.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If that’s the case - then yes, Shaw’s output is appalling.
Yeah, Williams this season has won us 2 penalties, picked up an assist, scored a goal and realistically should've bagged another today, their attacking games are on different planets. I don't think Shaw's completely useless, I don't doubt his talent but his attitude and fitness are huge question marks about his long term future for me.

A-man

Great match both going forward and defending. Only bad thing was giving away the ball at some dangerous situations but that’ll improve with matches and age.

pascell

You can see he's learning, there were a couple of instances today the ball broke away from the opposition player and he could've dived in, instead he stayed on his feet and made sure the attacker couldnt put a cross into the box.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Him, and Greenwood.
Greenwood has no chance, he has Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Abraham, Ings etc for competition.

Williams has a very small chance if Chilwell and Rose get injured, but even then I could see him taking someone like Ryan Bertrand, or even Young for his experience.

kundalini

Apart from winning the penalty, I wasn't that impressed watching the game. One awful header back that presented Norwich with a great opportunity to counter after he'd initially failed to control the ball and the shocking miss from Pereira's cross, as well as another moment when he was really poor in their box.

Having said that, his stats look decent. 5 interceptions and 3 tackles. Pass completion fairly high as usual.

Main positives being his desire to get forward, get into the opposing penalty area. Also set up Fred's shot from outside the area that went wide.

Still very raw but most games he looks like a first team player; which is some achievement for a 19 year old.

Last edited:

Raven

Im sorry but I don’t think my opinion is rubbish.

he’s a decent defender, nothing special. His attacking input is woeful, he doesn’t make the correct runs, doesn’t put a decent ball in the box and most importantly, his attacking stats are absolutely shocking.

he’s a mediocre fullback at best, nothing special about him at all. In fact, he just isn’t that good.
With no redeemable features, apparently.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Greenwood is better than Ings, and Kane is injured...
No he isn't, he will be, but he's not right now. Let him develop before we throw him in the national team man.

Ings is single-handedly keeping Southampton up. The guy has 16 goals already.

Kane is out for 3 months, he'll be back easy for the Euros.

stu_1992

Was really impressed with him in today's game. Okay he made a mistake in a pass backwards after a corner that Wan Bissaka was thankfully all over (twice!) but he overall I liked what I saw. He was getting forward at every available opportunity today and that's what we need against teams like these that sit back. Get wide and on the overlap. Open up the spaces. He's already been quite productive for us on that side this season which is great to see. Best threat I've seen us have in that position since Evra, but it's early days and that statement is probably too much. Certainly took care of defensive duties in this game too. Good stuff all round.

Raven

If that’s the case - then yes, Shaw’s output is appalling.
I think that we're actually all in agreement that Shaw's attacking output is poor. To say that he has no redeemable features is just beyond ridiculous, we're talking about last season's player of the season.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
just after a game in which he won a pen and got himself into a scoring position, which he clearly should have scored from.

I agree with the other poster - your opinion is garbage!
I don't think your opinion is rubbish, but I think it's harsh to rule Brandon out or on the reverse side say he's categorically our LB for the next 10 years is also ludicrous, but he deserves a chance to continue playing after some good form.

What I think we can all agree on is Brandon is our best option for the remainder of the season at left back unless we make a crazy signing like Chilwelll.
My comments were about Shaw. I haven’t rated him for the last few seasons.

I think performances like Williams put in today are great. He is an exciting player and I can’t wait to see him play more.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I think that we're actually all in agreement that Shaw's attacking output is poor. To say that he has no redeemable features is just beyond ridiculous, we're talking about last season's player of the season.
It isn’t beyond ridiculous at all. He’s one of the most mediocre players I’ve ever seen ply for us. He doesn’t stand out defensively like AWB, offers nothing going forward. Doesn’t have much of a heart on the pitch. I’m not sure what you are seeing in him?

he has been with us for what, 5/6 years now? I’ve seen enough.

Lam

I think we should give him a run of 5-10 games. He has that United FB mentality and game. It’s ok if he makes a mistake here or there as we could have a great FB in 2-3 years time who would be with us for a decade.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've been cautious about him so far but he was really good yesterday. Drove forward very well.

zenith

LB was so down our priority list that shaw was basically getting a free ride as the undisputed number one. Not anymore though, he ought to be a little worried about his future.

Its a great thing for us though as attacking full backs are very necessary in breaking down teams that sit back. Hope that Laird too develops along the same lines to give some more options on RB.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
LB was so down our priority list that shaw was basically getting a free ride as the undisputed number one. Not anymore though, he ought to be a little worried about his future.

Its a great thing for us though as attacking full backs are very necessary in breaking down teams that sit back. Hope that Laird too develops along the same lines to give some more options on RB.
Why would he worry? He did nothing for years before his contract expired, and he still got a better wage than before. Now he can go back doing nothing until 2023, and still gets paid.

Devil may care

Him and Greenwood are looking like the real deal, 2 extremely exciting yougn talents, Greenwood is slick where Williams has that Neville type of attitude.

Canagel

He's clearly better than Shaw but the way some are talking on here it's feels like people have never seen a good fullback before. Our standard has dropped massively in the past years that even someone that does the minimum basics (things like running forward into the space not even crossing) is enough to be a upgrade instead of the shambolic perfomances that were being served by Young, Valencia, Shaw..
And his defending is not even convincing. But he's arguably first choice already which proves how badly we let our squad deteriorate.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

He is improving and his attitude is fantastic. Still think people are getting a bit carried away, he has a lot to learn in positioning but that's normal. Young can go.

suheilsworld

With him at the opposition end, I am always expecting a good cross or a pass. With Shaw it is always frustrating with his decision making

Fosu-Mens

Shaw got injured in the warm up today so I don't think we have a lot of choice, as long as we don't leave Williams as exposed as we did against City in the first half I think he'll be fine. He's no Wan-Bissaka but he can handle himself defensively, just needs to avoid diving in against Salah because with his feet you're asking for trouble.
Saw the lineup and thought he was rested. Let that be Ashley Youngs last game? Williams is too raw to play that game, and will get fleeced by Salah unless help from Rashford + Midfield.

Devil81

Huge impact on the team, in fact he has to be one of the most impressive kids to break into the team since the class of 92. Everything looks so comfortable to him and his understanding of his teammates runs and touch football is excellent.

Yesterday his running off the ball was fantastic opening all sorts of chances for the forwards.

He's doing everything that Shaw isn't and he deserves to keep his place as Shaw has been shocking ever since he signed that contract.

Based Adnan

I wonder if his stepping into the midfield is a byproduct of him being a right footed left back or something Ole has told him to do. Not something we've seen before under Ole I think?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Football fans are unbelievably fickle. If Shaw has 3 good games in a row people will be calling for him to go to the Euros. All it takes is a few good/bad games to completely change fans perception of a player, Shaw (last seasons darling) and Rashford (last seasons scapegoat) are perfect examples.

Raven

Football fans are unbelievably fickle. If Shaw has 3 good games in a row people will be calling for him to go to the Euros. All it takes is a few good/bad games to completely change fans perception of a player, Shaw (last seasons darling) and Rashford (last seasons scapegoat) are perfect examples.
No patience whatsoever. Last season and the start of this one, when I was critical of Rashford, I always made it clear that I believed he was good enough but that he wasn't there yet. It's like the concept of form has gone out the window.

Ace of Spades

Williams has settled in the team very quickly, which is good as we need that currently. His attacking ability was never in doubt for those who have watched him regularly, the surprise has been how solid he has been in defence, which was the area that he needed to work on.

Once he gets a bit more stronger, it should improve him overall as a player. As long as he stays clear of injuries, I am confident he will be good.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Huge impact on the team, in fact he has to be one of the most impressive kids to break into the team since the class of 92. Everything looks so comfortable to him and his understanding of his teammates runs and touch football is excellent.

Yesterday his running off the ball was fantastic opening all sorts of chances for the forwards.

He's doing everything that Shaw isn't and he deserves to keep his place as Shaw has been shocking ever since he signed that contract.
Good assessment.
I like him because he is not only very talented but he seems to have a good attitude and he is not scared.
He plays with a lot of freedom which is not something you can say about Luke Shaw.
Shaw looks to me to be nervous and plays well within himself.

Williams on the other hand gives us much better balance.

M16Red

I wonder if his stepping into the midfield is a byproduct of him being a right footed left back or something Ole has told him to do. Not something we've seen before under Ole I think?
He's always done that, he pushes up.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
And the funny thing is, he seems to have slipped into the team largely unnoticed, with all the media attention directed elsewhere.
We have four exceptional young players to be excited about coming through the system (Tuanzebe 22, Rashford 22 & Greenwood 18) and a few others to be optimistic about.

I think the problem is that our fullbacks have generally been weak for some time, particularly as an attacking threat. With certain other sides flourishing with world-class attacking fullbacks I think they're under more scrutiny than ever.

I agree with your point overall, but specifically regarding Shaw he's not really giving himself the opportunity to have 3 good games. He doesn't look enthusiastic about the idea of getting into attacking positions, as with AWB. Before Williams started proving otherwise, I was blaming their hesitance getting forward on coaching/tactics. AWB at least has the benefit of being new & shiny and an exceptional tackler, whereas Shaw is just reaching end of patience territory.

As for last season Shaw was largely piss poor, along with the rest of them. I think because he was initially written off completely under Mourinho, when he came in and did okay it was blown out of proportion. Maybe I'm being too critical, but to me the only period where he's ever looked notably good was in the period leading up to his horrible injury.

OleTheGreat

OMG! I think he is a future Marcelo. I always wanted United to have a fearless Left Back after Evra left and we finally have one in Williams.

Based Adnan

Bertrand and Milner will go before Williams
Milner is retired and Bertrand has been poor so far. I think if William's is first choice moving forward which is looking likely, he has a real good shot of going as number 2 LB.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Milner is retired and Bertrand has been poor so far. I think if William's is first choice moving forward which is looking likely, he has a real good shot of going as number 2 LB.
Chilwell and Rose are nailed on. Given Rose's bones are made of glass it's possible I suppose. I still think GS would go with Bertrand, or even Shaw or Young to be honest.

Being massively overrated on here, not convinced by him at all. Seems very suspect defensively.
Not saying hes the future but he has confidence and aggression in spades, which is a huge plus for a full back. Plus, hes definitely better than anything else we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.