Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Williams shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Shaw. Williams is NOT a LB. He is a RB. He should be competing with AWB for the right side, and only be emergency back up on the left. This is why we need another LB at the club. LB's need to be left footed. RB's need to be right footed. It makes tackling easier, it makes passing easier, and it makes crossing easier. Williams had zero crosses today. And that's because every time he gets wide on a player he wants to cut back to his right foot. He has a promising future, but it's not on that side of the field...
Says who? There's more advantages than disadvantages having a talented right footer on the left as it opens up so many passing opportunities in 80% of the pitch, the West Germans/Dutch perfected it at International level going back to the 70's, and Blackmore, Martin, Irwin, Phil Neville et al suggests United feel the same.

El Jefe

Says who? There's more advantages than disadvantages having a talented right footer on the left as it opens up so many passing opportunities in 80% of the pitch, the West Germans/Dutch perfected it at International level going back to the 70's, and Blackmore, Martin, Irwin, Phil Neville et al suggests United feel the same.
Says anyone who knows even the smallest bit about football.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why is this kid being abused after one stinker. It happens, deal with it. Hopefully he comes back from this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No it does NOT give more advantages. Not even close. And please don't talk about the 70's. It's 2020. Dennis Irwin was a great right footed LB for us, but the game is completely different now. LB needs to be left footed. If you don't understand why, then there is no point in even discussing this. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Young player has bad game. Not much else to see here

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He's not a good right back either tbf.
True, but there's something there, he has potential. It's not like he's a Dan James case where lacks the foundations of a pro footballer. I can see Brandon being a good back-up right back for United, or a very good right back for a midtable level team when he hits his peak.

I don't think he has a future at left back though. He's a right back.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's pretty much been 50/50 between good and bad this season. It feels like after his good games we have plenty of people pretending the bad games don't happen and that he's better than Shaw, and after his bad games we get people saying he doesn't really show anything and will never be good enough.

Man-United

True, but there's something there, he has potential. It's not like he's a Dan James case where lacks the foundations of a pro footballer. I can see Brandon being a good back-up right back for United, or a very good right back for a midtable level team when he hits his peak.

Let's hope so. A Manchester lad and a United fan as well.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He's pretty much been 50/50 between good and bad this season. It feels like after his good games we have plenty of people pretending the bad games don't happen and that he's better than Shaw, and after his bad games we get people saying he doesn't really show anything and will never be good enough.
He's definitely not better than Shaw, and he's definitely not shit. He's very young and very raw. Is he ready to be playing first team games for United? Probably not, but we've given him a chance and as you mentioned he has done very well at points.

As I've mentioned already in this thread, I think he's a right back who is playing at left back. I could see him developing into a very good right back once he peaks. I'd probably look at sending him on loan to a Championship team where he can play every week next season. I don't think he's quite ready for week in week out PL football, but a season in the Championship could do him the world of good.

Class of 63

Sourness
That's just a bad take. And I say that as someone who likes Williams.
Not sure somebody that likes Williams would have agreed with a sad-sap a few minutes ago that gave him 0/10 given the circumstances/occasion .

Good thing you're not the manager then.
I wouldn't last 5 minutes at United with my 2-3-2-3 formation so you're probably right.

Says anyone who knows even the smallest bit about football.
Smallest bit indeed.

No it does NOT give more advantages. Not even close. And please don't talk about the 70's. It's 2020. Dennis Irwin was a great right footed LB for us, but the game is completely different now. LB needs to be left footed. If you don't understand why, then there is no point in even discussing this. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact...
Oh well if it's a fact .....

Chinchy98

Love the kid but he was poor today, didn't know whether to twist or stick. Still have him in the team before Shaw every day of the week though.
I think Shaw is really bang average but you’d have Williams every day of the week? His 1 on 1 defending leaves a lot to be desired, and outside the nice goal he scored (sheff Utd I think?) I’m not too enamoured by his attacking play, yes it is his strongest part of his game but he’s hardly to the standard of an elite European clubs attacking full backs.

I think Shaw is the best of a really poor bunch, I can accept Brandon as rotation but I can only think it is romanticism why anyone would want him over shaw week in week out.

The kid has heart and desire... but I think he will fall short of the standard required.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not sure somebody that likes Williams would have agreed with a sad-sap a few minutes ago that gave him 0/10 given the circumstances/occasion .
I can still like him and think that performance today was a complete horror, because it was. I presume the players you like you lie and say they played well then?

eire-red

Was really poor today, but in fairness all of the fringe players have been poor since the restart. Williams, Fred, McTominay, Ighalo, James, I feel they haven't had enough minutes to be properly match fit.

Since June, it's like the beginning of a new season. The minutes the fringe players are getting now, they would normally be seeing those in pre season. I think its harsh to judge them when normally throughout the season the likes of Brandon etc. would normally have the time to play their way into form and contention in the first squad, minutes in the league cup and home games in the Prem.

He's had plenty of good performances this season, and those don't make him world class, just like one bad performance doesn't make him terrible either. Still see him as a decent squad option for us.

Class of 63

Sourness
I think Shaw is really bang average but you’d have Williams every day of the week? His 1 on 1 defending leaves a lot to be desired, and outside the nice goal he scored (sheff Utd I think?) I’m not too enamoured by his attacking play, yes it is his strongest part of his game but he’s hardly to the standard of an elite European clubs attacking full backs.

I think Shaw is the best of a really poor bunch, I can accept Brandon as rotation but I can only think it is romanticism why anyone would want him over shaw week in week out.

The kid has heart and desire... but I think he will fall short of the standard required.
Yeah, I just think(granted mostly from what i've seen of him in the 18s)he's a far better footballer than Shaw(their right-back in their 18's team looked better), he doesn't need radio-controlling for starters. And I think he's got a better football brain.

He may well, and he wouldn't be the first kid i've got my hopes up over that's not made the grade over he decades, but most have gone on to have good careers in the game, and i'd expect Brandon to do the same though maybe not as a fullback.

miked99

Was really poor today, but in fairness all of the fringe players have been poor since the restart. Williams, Fred, McTominay, Ighalo, James, I feel they haven't had enough minutes to be properly match fit.

Since June, it's like the beginning of a new season. The minutes the fringe players are getting now, they would normally be seeing those in pre season. I think its harsh to judge them when normally throughout the season the likes of Brandon etc. would normally have the time to play their way into form and contention in the first squad, minutes in the league cup and home games in the Prem.

He's had plenty of good performances this season, and those don't make him world class, just like one bad performance doesn't make him terrible either. Still see him as a decent squad option for us.
I completely agree with this. It was the same in the Norwich cup tie. Normally these players would be making their first appearances after three months with no games in 5-0 pre-season wins over Burton Albion and what have you, where being off it doesn't matter. Bit different being dropped in it against quality opposition. There's way too much hyperbole and knee-jerking in both directions. It should be clear that even in his good games that he's still really raw and finding his way, but every time he plays well half the forum is saying he's miles better than Shaw who should be sold immediately as this kid is the future and so on. Then he has a poor game and he's not good enough, Championship standard etc etc etc.

Class of 63

Sourness
I can still like him and think that performance today was a complete horror, because it was. I presume the players you like you lie and say they played well then?
Nah, sober or drunk i'd like to think I was fair. If player A, B or G plays well whoever he is i'll acknowledge it, I dislike Pogba, that might come across on the forum, but i've never given him less than 4/10, maybe 3/10 today cos i'm still hurting and shit-faced, because i'm just not that sad. Anybody that gives any players lower than that(3) I just don't take seriously.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I’d be astounded if he made it here as a right-back either, as he isn’t a patch on Laird.

As you said, I see him as a mid-table fullback, and that is even in the future. He’s not a hopeless footballer, but there is nothing that suggests he should be playing his football at Manchester United and not Newcastle United.

Web of Bissaka

One good thing which we already know, he has fire in his belly.

Surely we should already realize by now he is limited ability wise no?

I'm fine with that. At best he can be a very good squad player, and with his character on-pitch would be one of the players we can rely on to always do his best and gave it his all, would also push the FBs ahead of him to maintain their good performances, else he'll play ahead of them. Hard-works and characters tend to trumps over just talents in the long run.

Craig Ward

One good thing which we already know, he has fire in his belly.

Surely we should already realize by now he is limited ability wise no?

I'm fine with that. At best he can be a very good squad player, and with his character on-pitch would be one of the players we can rely on to always do his best and gave it his all, would also push the FBs ahead of him to maintain their good performances, else he'll play ahead of them. Hard-works and characters tend to trumps over just talents in the long run.
Pretty much this,

Whether its LB or RB, Williams is a good COVER option.

AWB is miles better, Shaw is miles better.

What will make Williams stick around here is that drive and workrate, he will always try 100%. Unless he has a drastic increase in his development, he'll never be good enough to be a regular starting full back for us.

He's had a decent season - but his flaws are obvious. He's not technically great, he's not positionally great, he's stable in defence and ok in attack.

He's willing and learning, and a good bench option for the foreseeable. Between him and Dalot - its seems to be Williams mentality thats put him ahead.

Toni Roncoroni

Has a hard time now and doesn't look up for it right now. When he came on the scene it looks like he couldn't put a feat wrong. But now he looks average at best. Will be interesting to see, how he bounces back from that next season. I think most of the young players who are coming through have a hard time after the initial start of their career on the highest level.
Personally I don't like to see a right-footed player as a left-back. I always thought he is a good wing-back. But he offered nothing yesterday. But hard to blame the youngsters for performances like yesterday. Bar his pass before the 0:2.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yesterday was the most standoffish I’ve ever seen Williams. I think he shat the bed a bit after his recent head knock. I still like him though and think he’s had a good breakthrough season. He reminds me of an edgier Phil Neville, who was a pretty good player all in.

Sylar

It was a bad game, but people really are reactive. It goes from, he should be taking Shaws place permanently, to he has no future at this club. (and yeah, I get it might be different people, but theres hardly ever middle ground)
It wasnt a good game for him. Not sure how much that injury on Monday affected his game, but we shall see.

Dont think we can say whether he will make it or not yet (though thankfully its not upto us as a forum).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
As usual, you're only as good as your last game, so he's shit again. He was getting annihilated on Twitter from supposed United fans, it was needlessly brutal. Matchday thread on here was particularly harsh too. For a club that likes to pride itself on academy graduates and local players making the cut, we sure do like to throw them under the bus after one game.

He was very poor, for certain. Played a part in the goal which killed the game. He almost certainly wouldn't have started if Shaw was fit, and I doubt Williams was 100% himself either. Very poor performance, but he's a kid, he's gonna have a good few more of those and he'll learn from it. He's made the step up from academy to first team very well and all in all he has had a good season. I'd perhaps take him out of the side for the rest of the season, but I still think he has a place here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was a bad game, but people really are reactive. It goes from, he should be taking Shaws place permanently, to he has no future at this club. (and yeah, I get it might be different people, but theres hardly ever middle ground)
It wasnt a good game for him. Not sure how much that injury on Monday affected his game, but we shall see.

Dont think we can say whether he will make it or not yet (though thankfully its not upto us as a forum).
Well otherwise you wont be heard in the mass crowd. Make few dramatic posts and you will stand out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As usual, you're only as good as your last game, so he's shit again. He was getting annihilated on Twitter from supposed United fans, it was needlessly brutal. Matchday thread on here was particularly harsh too. For a club that likes to pride itself on academy graduates and local players making the cut, we sure do like to throw them under the bus after one game.

He was very poor, for certain. Played a part in the goal which killed the game. He almost certainly wouldn't have started if Shaw was fit, and I doubt Williams was 100% himself either. Very poor performance, but he's a kid, he's gonna have a good few more of those and he'll learn from it. He's made the step up from academy to first team very well and all in all he has had a good season. I'd perhaps take him out of the side for the rest of the season, but I still think he has a place here.
It's actually pathetic. Like you said, he is just a kid, 19 years old and he started the season playing for reserves and was drafted in because of injuries and lack of form of first team players. Not even a proper season and people want to write him off.

Maybe same people who would have taken Agbonlahor ahead of Rashford or people who said he is not even championship quality.

I don't think he will replace Shaw but he looks good enough for a squad player, yes he had poor game, previously he had few good games too.

BiggusCrickus

I do find it funny how one bad game for a young player and there written off by fans. Brandon is going to be fine he is 19 he still learning his craft and is years away from his peak. Mason and others will have games like this so stop writing off young players. It takes time and he clearly has talent so lets hope he gets there

Reactions: roonster09

Sylar

Seen it in Rashfords thread. Wouldnt be surprised if Mason has had it.
Even young talent we buy, seen it for Martial and now seeing it for James.

Well otherwise you wont be heard in the mass crowd. Make few dramatic posts and you will stand out.
Seems that way given what ive just seen in the Bruno thread.

Class of 63

Sourness

Finally, sanity.

POF

He's a good kid. Didn't play well but the game came down to 2 poor defensive efforts from the centre backs and a keeper who threw one in and should have saved at least one of the other 2.

United didn't play well but if you gift the opposition 3 goals in a game against rivals you have no chance.

romufc

United didn't play well but if you gift the opposition 3 goals in a game against rivals you have no chance.
When you are 1-0 down you can take it. You come back after half time and the keeper does that, you lose all hope as a team.

romufc

I do find it funny how one bad game for a young player and there written off by fans. Brandon is going to be fine he is 19 he still learning his craft and is years away from his peak. Mason and others will have games like this so stop writing off young players. It takes time and he clearly has talent so lets hope he gets there
You also forget 1/2 good games and "he should be first choice".

Young players are inconsistent, we have to give them time.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I wouldn't last 5 minutes at United with my 2-3-2-3 formation so you're probably right.

Smallest bit indeed.

Oh well if it's a fact .....
Yes it's a fact. If not, then please do tell me why there are more advantages of having a right footed LB over a left footed LB. I'll be waiting patiently oh wise one...

Davie Moyes

Jeez the state of this thread. I came in here thinking nobody played well, but maybe as an exception this young lad will get some credit for being thrown in after a very recent nasty head injury.

Instead the thread is full of abuse like most of the other threads. Williams' intro has been one of positives of this season. He's been praised by people like Gary Neville who knows a thing or two about the full back position. He's young and learning.

Class of 63

Sourness
Yes it's a fact. If not, then please do tell me why there are more advantages of having a right footed LB over a left footed LB. I'll be waiting patiently oh wise one...
Lose the attitude pal, and maybe learn how to read properly as well, I said There's more advantages than disadvantages having a talented right footer on the left as it opens up so many passing opportunities in 80% of the pitch erm because it's true. It was the true 50 years ago, and it will be true in 50 years time so none of this football has changed nonsense, you'll be telling me next there's no advantage in playing a left-footer on the right-wing next.

Status
Not open for further replies.