Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
BW had a great season for his age and it's nice to see him developing but it's also painfully obvious that he's nowhere ready for prime time yet. Maybe as a sub, if we use him sparingly

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Thought he was pretty good. He can cover the RB position if AWB gets injured.

I still think we need an outright covering LB though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nobody expected him to so many appearances this season and apart from one or two, he hasn't let himself or the team down. Excellent progression by him.

Grande

Like the rest of the back five he had a pretty good game. A lot better than AWB going forward, got no help attacking nor defending today from the worst on the pitch, my POTY Rashford.

Eilliams has had a fantastic season based on expectations. Has proven he’s good enough to be our goto second choice LB/LWB if he can keep this up.

m1tch

Good performance from him today, far better than against West Ham - which probably was too soon after his injury.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Improved performance today. With Shaw injured till next season, Williams has few more matches to impress and establish himself as credible backup to Shaw next season.

Josh 76

Solid performance today.
If our midfeild showed his aggression we would be in much better shape.

OleBoiii

Solid backup. Did well today.

Maybe it's just his body language, but he seems to be very tough mentally. He never looks nervous.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
19 years old, and already played 33 games for Manchester United, including in critical must not lose matches. Not bad at all!
I love his temperament, aggression and stamina. He will dramatically improve his technical skills and tactical prowess over the next 2 years.

Did everything that was required of him today, without being spectacular.

Handré1990

Impressive young lad. He came in without expectations and has delivered good enough. He’s very brave and plays on the front foot, I like him a lot.

OverratedOpinion

One of these weird times where I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in a player. Not for me so far.

Andersons Dietician

Hmmmm bar a few bright moments early on I thought he was pretty awful. Drifted out the game in the 2nd half and was getting beaten at pretty much every oppertunity by Leicster. Positioning was terrible was making poor decisions and seemed scared or unable to spot the good runs. You could see Rashford and Martial getting frustrated when he wouldn’t play the ball.

At one point both just stand hands out gesturing towards him and shaking their heads. Then there were all the moments of him just sleeping watching play.

There are good qualities to him in that he is quite tenacious and doesn’t give up but last few games he’s really struggled. Hopefully he’ll continue to improve because he’ll be a handy option next season.

keithsingleton

He's had his knockers on this thread but I like him. For one so young he could develope into a automatic place in time. If I was to point out one criticism it would be that he needs to pass forward more often rather than the safe precaution of passing back. Looking like a good squad player once he fills out a bit.

marktan

He's impressive for a 19 year old in his first season. Technically and physically he's good at all the basics - runs, passes, dribbling, tackling, effort.

He's definitely not going to make it as a LB at a team like United though - you need to be left footed or excellent at something. He could make a solid RB - but he needs to develop a USP - full backs in the modern game all excel at something. E.g. AWB at tackling, TAA at passing/crossing, Chilwell at runs etc. Even Shaw who doesn't really excel at anything specifically but his fundemental technique and ball retention is a level or two above Brandons.

But I think he could make it at midtable team easily - I'd like to see how he plays as a RB overlapping on his natural right food.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Hmmmm bar a few bright moments early on I thought he was pretty awful. Drifted out the game in the 2nd half and was getting beaten at pretty much every oppertunity by Leicster. Positioning was terrible was making poor decisions and seemed scared or unable to spot the good runs. You could see Rashford and Martial getting frustrated when he wouldn’t play the ball.

At one point both just stand hands out gesturing towards him and shaking their heads. Then there were all the moments of him just sleeping watching play.

There are good qualities to him in that he is quite tenacious and doesn’t give up but last few games he’s really struggled. Hopefully he’ll continue to improve because he’ll be a handy option next season.
Don't agree, he was decent today. And if that's true about Rashford (who was very poor himself) and Martial, then thats really a slight on them, not Williams.

ManUArfa

There may well be criticisms of backwards and sideways passing. However, we don't know what the full backs' instructions were today, although we do know it was a game we couldn't afford to lose.

BW made some important and well timed blocks, tackles and interceptions today which could have led to some very dangerous situations if he hadn't done so. Latterly he took a yellow for the team for a foul that would otherwise have led to a dangerous overload down the Leicester right flank.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like him because he is good enough to be the LB/RB cover man on both sides. We can put him in our substitute bench and we have both sides covered to a good degree.

Better than Dalot.

Devil81

Never had any doubt about him, he's well ahead of schedule in terms of age in the first team so he's going to have the odd bad game.

He's got a future at United, a fantastic future.

Morpheus 7

I rate Brandon but hasn't been great since restart. He's found it difficult to get crosses in, preferred side or not. The pressure of this week will be massive for his development. Not to make excuses but Rashford has been so deep, in the games we played. Find squad player, he's got the Europa League to go for it.

Andersons Dietician

Don't agree, he was decent today. And if that's true about Rashford (who was very poor himself) and Martial, then thats really a slight on them, not Williams.
How is that a slight on them when he continually made the wrong decision time and time again when they’ve made a good run and given him the option?

Idxomer

Watching him today reminded me of Ashley Young without the occasional overhit cross, it's painful watching a right-footed player at LB. Also, the coaches should stop with all the tucking in midfield bullshit, it simply doesn't work with him.

Defensively, he did an ok job against one of the most average wingers in the league. He could look better on the right but that remains to be seen.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Remember when he was the reason we were going to lose top 4? Ah the Caf. :lol:

Alemar

Very decent performance today. And his season will continue in EL as Shaw is injured

LuisNaniencia

How is that a slight on them when he continually made the wrong decision time and time again when they’ve made a good run and given him the option?
Because 2 experienced professionals shouldn't be sulking and throwing their toys because a young player didn't pass them the ball. Especially Rashford who was doing nothing with the ball anyway.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good game and a very good season. A couple of poor games, particularly Chelsea, but he's just a kid, it has to be expected.

We could still win a trophy this season, but even if we don't, Williams and Greenwood are two major success stories from this season. It's great to see academy players come in to the team in a meaningful way (i.e. not just the odd cup games) and look as if they belong. Those two certainly have.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did well vs Leicester and I always argued that having right footed LB shouldn't be a problem but I was clearly wrong. When you see how difficult it was to build the play as Williams always came inside and even when he dribbles he uses right foot, it was easier to cut down the left side easily.

I think we should sign left footed back up and move Williams to right back.

Andersons Dietician

Because 2 experienced professionals shouldn't be sulking and throwing their toys because a young player didn't pass them the ball. Especially Rashford who was doing nothing with the ball anyway.
Well that’s a load of BS. Do you think Roy Keane and the likes molly coddled Giggs, Beckham and Scholes. No they demanded excellence so that the young player would learn. I’m sure after the game they probably had a word telling him not to be scared to try, and I’m sure the coaching staff will have pulled up the incidents and point out what he Williams should have been doing in these moments.

Its not even like they berated him. Not like Maguire last game, they just held out their arms and looked at him to indicate their disappointment in him repeatedly making the wrong decision.

If it makes you feel better about the situation he looked away from them before they did this and just stared at the ground as he knew he’d made the wrong decision.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Will make an okay left back but a far better right back. I'd seriously consider bringing in a proper left footed under study to Shaw and letting Brandon compete for the right back slot. Dalot can leave.

Lj82

I didn’t like his positioning today. When Rashford was out wide he moved into central positions to which Leicester could deal with because they were playing so narrow. Other than that I thought he was good
Mentioned it before but I think this is tactical. Shaw does a lot of that sometimes. Not that I'm a fan of it.

Good game and a very good season. A couple of poor games, particularly Chelsea, but he's just a kid, it has to be expected.

We could still win a trophy this season, but even if we don't, Williams and Greenwood are two major success stories from this season. It's great to see academy players come in to the team in a meaningful way (i.e. not just the odd cup games) and look as if they belong. Those two certainly have.
100% agree.

We need players like this. It’s a squad game, and we can’t keep buying £50m squad players like Fred.

The likes of P. Neville, O’Shea and Fletcher were great squad players for us, and that’s what I hope we get from Williams and McT. Greenwood clearly looks like a future superstar, but we do need youngsters to augment the team if we are to grow and improve. We can’t buy everyone. We tried that, and the squad is a joke considering the £500m we spent on it in the past 5 years.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He responded very well to the pressure yesterday after his worst game in a Utd shirt against West Ham. As far as I’m concerned that is the sign of a proper Utd player who can fight against adversity and show what they are made of, good lad. Deserves another season as understudy to Shaw.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Did well yesterday but hard to tell how good he is. No way is he good enough as a first choice left back, but maybe he’d be better on the right. I think he looks like a mid-table player or good cover at both full back positions and , possibly, midfield (the more places he can cover the better for him to stay at United).

He reminds me of the type of player SAF and Lippi would make use of in all those positions. He seems the type who might be up for that. Much better using Academy kids for squad positions and spending money elsewhere.

mu4c_20le

Will make an okay left back but a far better right back. I'd seriously consider bringing in a proper left footed under study to Shaw and letting Brandon compete for the right back slot. Dalot can leave.
He doesn't look as natural on the right. I keep hearing about this from people who have an obsession with left footed left backs.

LuisNaniencia

Well that’s a load of BS. Do you think Roy Keane and the likes molly coddled Giggs, Beckham and Scholes. No they demanded excellence so that the young player would learn. I’m sure after the game they probably had a word telling him not to be scared to try, and I’m sure the coaching staff will have pulled up the incidents and point out what he Williams should have been doing in these moments.

Its not even like they berated him. Not like Maguire last game, they just held out their arms and looked at him to indicate their disappointment in him repeatedly making the wrong decision.

If it makes you feel better about the situation he looked away from them before they did this and just stared at the ground as he knew he’d made the wrong decision.
No you're quite right, all our players should throw up their hands and look disappointed everytime a young player doesn't pass to them. That's just the culture we're trying to instill.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His tenacity is second to none, its kind of admirable how he goes into every challenge with full conviction, similar to McTominay even if it sometimes comes at the expense of poor positioning. You kind of need a couple of those moments to wake the rest of the team up from a slumber.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He doesn't look as natural on the right. I keep hearing about this from people who have an obsession with left footed left backs.
I agree. Whilst I do like left footed LB's - everytime I see him on the right he seems to lack as much flow to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.