Squad Number: #53
Contract expires: 30.06.2024
Contract option: club option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Aug 4, 2020
Outfitter: Puma​

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You’re all gonna hate me & call me stupid but I really don’t see anything in this kid that suggests he has a long term future here. I mean maybe we keep him a while because he’s from the academy, but he just looks like another Blackett/McNair/CBJ to me. In fact Borthwick-Jackson showed a fair bit more promise than Williams. I’ll be amazed if he’s still in the PL in 2025.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You’re all gonna hate me & call me stupid but I really don’t see anything in this kid that suggests he has a long term future here. I mean maybe we keep him a while because he’s from the academy, but he just looks like another Blackett/McNair/CBJ to me. In fact Borthwick-Jackson showed a fair bit more promise than Williams. I’ll be amazed if he’s still in the PL in 2025.
He's literally just turned 20 today, a lot of fullbacks aren't even at the first team at that age.

I think he's shown plenty enough to warrant being in the squad, but whether he will be a first teamer will be decided in the future. The ability to play both sides also is a big plus for him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Entitled to your opinion. If he's left to compete for the left back spot then I would agree with you. I doubt he'll ever make the grade there.

Move him onto the right where he's obviously going to be more comfortable and let's see how he does. I think there's a player in there as he's shown it in glimpses. I just don't like right footed left backs. Irwin n Lahm made it look easy. Zanetti did it for a while too. Not many others have managed it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't hate people for something so minuscule so don't worry about that and you are entitled to you opinion. I'm not disagreeing that CBJ showed some real promise. Having said that, comparing him to all those players I would say his technical abilities alone is on another level to them. He is from a different school almost and has a 'higher level of education', which would serve him well in his dream to become a Man Utd first team regular. You can't forget the step up from U18/U21 to PL football is so huge that even a talent like Greenwood is going to have ups and downs. Williams first season was a great introduction and for a period there he was certainly better than Shaw, and to my eyes he took his place and put real pressure on Shaw. He came in and provided real competition, before fading a bit towards the end of the season. I'd say hands up fair play to the lad and hopefully he wont rest until he reaches the top.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree with all of that. If there is any truth at all in us pursuing Reguilon then it makes his new big contract odd, as we’d have two better left backs than him in the squad who themselves are under 25.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Happy Birthday Brandon, by the way!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I sort of think he needs a loan. If Ole had any faith in Dalot whatsoever I think he'd do it but sadly I'm not sure Ole does trust Dalot enough. Maybe there's an older full back who could come in and cover for a year or two? Bayern seem to have thousands of full backs at the moment!

Ace of Spades

Happy birthday to the lad, hoping he improves and makes big strides in this year.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I don't hate people for something so minuscule so don't worry about that and you are entitled to you opinion. I'm not disagreeing that CBJ showed some real promise. Having said that, comparing him to all those players I would say his technical abilities alone is on another level to them. He is from a different school almost and has a 'higher level of education', which would serve him well in his dream to become a Man Utd first team regular. You can't forget the step up from U18/U21 to PL football is so huge that even a talent like Greenwood is going to have ups and downs. Williams first season was a great introduction and for a period there he was certainly better than Shaw, and to my eyes he took his place and put real pressure on Shaw. He came in and provided real competition, before fading a bit towards the end of the season. I'd say hands up fair play to the lad and hopefully he wont rest until he reaches the top.
Sensible post. We do love a black and white scenario on the Caf. The nuance with Brandon is in the context. He's not better than Shaw but undoubtedly gave him something to think about this season with some high energy and very competent performances. I don't think anyone can deny that Luke upped his game after that, competition is important.

Sure, he regressed a bit after that but he was assessed on here the same way a big money signing would be, no real allowance made for the huge leap in quality from the youth set up to first team.
All things considered, it's been a massive season for him. I'd be very happy to see the mooted repositioning of him as our back up right back. One way or the other, I hope we cut him a bit more slack than we did this year.

0le

Sensible post. We do love a black and white scenario on the Caf. The nuance with Brandon is in the context. He's not better than Shaw but undoubtedly gave him something to think about this season with some high energy and very competent performances. I don't think anyone can deny that Luke upped his game after that, competition is important.

Sure, he regressed a bit after that but he was assessed on here the same way a big money signing would be, no real allowance made for the huge leap in quality from the youth set up to first team.
All things considered, it's been a massive season for him. I'd be very happy to see the mooted repositioning of him as our back up right back. One way or the other, I hope we cut him a bit more slack than we did this year.
I think he had a fantastic season all things considered. I expect him to deliver more of the same this season as well.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think he's bang average and a lot like him because he's from the academy.

There's a big difference between him and Shaw/AWB in terms of production.

Young or not, I don't care, he's a first team player so he must deliver and I see him overated. Hope we sign another LB

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He had a good season. He had a spell where he was our best left back, and that tailed off as the season went on. I am doubtful he will be a starting left back in the long term, but he'll be a decent squad player to have since he can play both sides.

Untd55

He is okay, but another McTominay for me. Another youth player who got blown way out of proportion in comparison to his performances. He is just another very average player that will end up trickling down the pecking order until he is shown the door.

Nothing to be excited about here.

Scholsey2004

Think he's bang average and a lot like him because he's from the academy.

There's a big difference between him and Shaw/AWB in terms of production.

Young or not, I don't care, he's a first team player so he must deliver and I see him overated. Hope we sign another LB
Wan Bissaka yes, Shaw no. Williams averages more tackles than Shaw, same key passes per game, Williams 1 goal no assists, Shaw no goals no assists.

AsonUnique

I think WIlliams work ethic has always been lauded by the coaching staff. Athletic did an academy review and they mentioned this. Though he makes errors he has a competitive edge and mean streak Blackett/CBJ and McNair never showed when they had an opportunity. I don't think that necessarily makes him good but the coaching staff likes that.

I think he has potential to be a good player that can step in when needed on the left and right. I don't see him being world class but definitely a good rotation option. I would like to see him bulk up a little more, I feel there were a few times he was pushed off too easily.

manunited1919

Williams is perfect as backup, he has potential, and more than anything he has the strong mentality we need. Sure, he isn’t yet at the level to replace Shaw or Bambi, but his work ethic and strong mentality will get him there. Give him time.

khoazany

Bunch of knee-jerkers here as usual. Pathetic fans.

Same bunch that called Rashy Rashford and wanted him out on loan.

You really don't deserve this club. Feel free to get me banned.

He'sRaldo

He seems to be one of the players whose mistakes are forgotten pretty easily.

For that reason, he may very well have a lengthy career at the club.

CG1010

We can't buy all 22 players especially given how pricey the market is... It's very sensible to have a few squad options from the academy especially at 19 year old where they can develop into something better in future. That's was SAF did and what Ole is doing now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

This is such a bad take. United fans, and all football fans in fact, have a history of massively overrating their young players. Go read the McNair thread from 14-15, or the Blackett one, or the Borthwick-Jackson thread from 15-16, or the Wilson one, or the Januzaj one, or the Fosu-Mensah one. Time and time again United fans have gassed up a youngster who has gone on to achieve nothing. Williams looks like another one of them to me. It's just my opinion, I don't think he is a good player. I don't think he is anywhere near good enough for Manchester United. How does that make me a pathetic fan? How does that mean I don't deserve the club? I am a Manchester United fan, I don't care about individual players, I just want the best for the team. Of our current youngsters I think Greenwood has world class potential, I think Mejbri looks like a real prospect, I think Laird looks like a real prospect if he can overcome his injury concerns. I haven't seen much in Mengi or Garner, but I'll give them a chance if and when they come in. I want all of our academy players to make it, but that isn't realistic. The class of 92 and the 2000's La Masia class are not the norm. I don't think Williams will be here in 5 years, I don't see what is controversial about that. He hasn't shown that much, is often terrorised by his winger, has appalling decision making and positioning, and seems to make mistakes every game. Unless our standards are on the floor these days and him having about 3 good games makes him a top player?

I've been here for a long time, I've seen some of the caf predictions for our youngsters. Tom Thorpe was once called a future United captain on here. Someone put in the Wilson 14-15 thread that he'll be an England starter within a year. Where are they now?

Last edited:

Dorris

Wan Bissaka yes, Shaw no. Williams averages more tackles than Shaw, same key passes per game, Williams 1 goal no assists, Shaw no goals no assists.
You saw the drop off when Shaw got injured last season. Far and away our best fullback. I’m seriously worried going forward if our RB options are Williams and AWB. Hopefully Laird kicks on.

GlasgowCeltic

At what point are you allowed to make a judgement then? I'm sure as many were wrong about Rashford not being up to it as about James Wilson being up to it

Scholsey2004

You saw the drop off when Shaw got injured last season. Far and away our best fullback. I’m seriously worried going forward if our RB options are Williams and AWB. Hopefully Laird kicks on.
No, AWB is easily our best full back. Averages more tackles and gets more assists (more than Shaw's 0 assists).

Scholsey2004

That's my take on it as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, AWB is easily our best full back. Averages more tackles and gets more assists (more than Shaw's 0 assists).
Shaw provides far more in the build up and helps play out from the back, and arguably has better defensive positioning and certainly is much better aerially.

Which one is better is debatable and there's no 'easily' about it. Personally I feel Shaw should be quite a bit better if he can stay injury free and keep his attacking game consistently good (he tends to have 1-2 month period every season where he's very good but the rest of the time doesn't get forward enough).

dev1l

At what point are you allowed to make a judgement then? I'm sure as many were wrong about Rashford not being up to it as about James Wilson being up to it
You don't write a youngster off after his first full season - any youngster.
Not to mention that the average fan is usually clueless even if they pretend to be otherwise.
One of Fergie s successful traits was ignoring knee jerking toxic fan base.
Hopefully all managers do the same

Dorris

AWB can’t defend his back post or a cross field ball. Jumping into tackles might look good but there’s a lot more to defending than that. Shaw is brilliant at both, as well as playing out from the back. Admittedly when he gets into the final third his quality is lacking, but he plays deeper than AWB so has less onus to create. Certainly since lockdown anyway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So was Williams injured or late back to training or something? Plenty of people on here have been saying he should move over to the right and be AWB's backup, but against Palace when we rested AWB it was TFM who came in and there was no sign of Williams.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So was Williams injured or late back to training or something? Plenty of people on here have been saying he should move over to the right and be AWB's backup, but against Palace when we rested AWB it was TFM who came in and there was no sign of Williams.
TFM played full 90 minutes if I remember against Aston Villa while Williams only came as a sub, TFM probably got picked over Williams due to having better match fitness.

Luton Town 0:3 Man Utd

Bwuk

Seemed to get fouled constantly. The amount of fouls Luton’s RB got away with was crazy.

Mcking

Got to bring Telles in. It is a completely different game when the LB is left-footed and not very good.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't wanna pile in on the kid but he's not been the same since he got injured against Southampton at the end of last season. All his attacking intent is gone and he gives away the ball so much. Worse, defensively he's started dawdling. He got the ball taken off his toes by Luton over and over tonight. I don't know what it is but he needs to wake up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Perfect type of game for him to gain more experience... he clearly needs it.

Quite clever decision to shield the ball and win that penalty.

kundalini

Won the penalty. A few other good moments, including cutting out a dangerous cross early on, but more errors than anyone else made too. Unfortunate to get booked after what looked like a decent challenge.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Contributed to plenty of forward play, won us a penalty and also demonstrated real team commitment, evidenced by his recovery run which got him a very harsh yellow card.

Mickson

One thing I can't understand is why he isn't putting crosses in.. he did it often in the youth teams, he does it occasionally now and almost every time somethings happening? Why has he stopped? Why isn't he running at his the full-back? Why does he always just pass it inside to Matic? Is he scared? Makes no sense to me when I think of the player and person I "used to know".

Santos J

One thing I can't understand is why he isn't putting crosses in.. he did it often in the youth teams, he does it occasionally now and almost every time somethings happening? Why has he stopped? Why isn't he running at his the full-back? Why does he always just pass it inside to Matic? Is he scared? Makes no sense to me when I think of the player and person I "used to know".
Yeah it's weird, not that there's much of an aerial threat from us in the box though tbf. Would like to see him get the minutes TFM gets on the right when AWB doesn't play, which I imagine will be the idea if we sign Telles.

Status
Not open for further replies.