Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
One thing I can't understand is why he isn't putting crosses in.. he did it often in the youth teams, he does it occasionally now and almost every time somethings happening? Why has he stopped? Why isn't he running at his the full-back? Why does he always just pass it inside to Matic? Is he scared? Makes no sense to me when I think of the player and person I "used to know".
Confidence you'd think.

Maybe the staff have asked him to keep possession and not cross regularly but instead try to work it into the box?

It is a bit confusing as for the reserves he would bomb down the left and cross with his left foot regularly, I actually thought he was left footed the first few times I saw him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
One thing I can't understand is why he isn't putting crosses in.. he did it often in the youth teams, he does it occasionally now and almost every time somethings happening? Why has he stopped? Why isn't he running at his the full-back? Why does he always just pass it inside to Matic? Is he scared? Makes no sense to me when I think of the player and person I "used to know".
It’s confidence, when more senior players like Mata, Van de Beek, Matic are waiting around the edge of the box he seems to opt to cut back than aim for one man in the box being Ighalo, better movement would help him too.

GazTheLegend

Brandon Williams is gonna be one of those weird players who one set of fans watch and think he's absolutely fantastic and another think he's garbage based on any single performance isn't he. The new Herrera.

I absolutely love him. I've seen him live and been close on the pitch and you don't realise quite how much work some players put in until you're there. I honestly think he's more positive than Shaw. Remember thinking against Sevilla (some specific examples) of being crowded out and pressed by two players at a time and still keeping the ball - some of our players get tackled by themselves under pressure!

Like yeah he lets his man go sometimes but Shaw and Lindelof are maybe even WORSE at that, and Williams actually offers something going forward now and again. Not sure why we are so heavily linked with Telles.

Classical Mechanic

It’s confidence, when more senior players like Mata, Van de Beek, Matic are waiting around the edge of the box he seems to opt to cut back than aim for one man in the box being Ighalo, better movement would help him too.
It's because he can't get the space in the seniors to get it back onto his strong foot. I don't see how he can continue to be a right back if he can't rectify this. He's completely nulified as an attacking force.

GazTheLegend

It's because he can't get the space in the seniors to get it back onto his strong foot. I don't see how he can continue to be a right back if he can't rectify this. He's completely nulified as an attacking force.
It's coaching

All our full backs do this.

Every single one of them. They are blatantly coached NOT to cross the ball because we only ever have one guy in the box and they're usually zero threat in the air (or from crosses in general) anyway.

Kearnkoff69

I like Williams. People are quick to slag him off but it's easy to forget that he's only 20 and made the jump up from the U18s to the first team with only the briefest sting in the U23s, so he has a long way to go in terms of adapting to the senior game. I do think, as others have noted, that he has a confidence issue right now in the attacking third - he frequently receives the ball with room to run at his man or put in a cross and opts to cut it back (Shaw does this every time, too). He's a hard worker and while his game isn't starting eleven quality on a consistent basis, he's shown flashes of it and deserves more time to continue developing.

hobbers

I'd like Williams a lot more if he was playing on the right and not just passing back to Maguire 30 times a match.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's coaching

Every single one of them. They are blatantly coached NOT to cross the ball because we only ever have one guy in the box and they're usually zero threat in the air (or from crosses in general) anyway.
Yeh. On his early debut, he crossed in with his right or left foot. He was a LOT more positive back then with crossing. Now it makes you wonder what happen.

mehro

Ass face
Can someone explain to me based on what evidence posters here keep saying that he’ll be our RB back up once we sign a new LB? Based on team selections Ole seems to prefer TFM there. Crystal Palace game being one example where he could have started as RB but didn’t.

HowYouDoin

Can someone explain to me based on what evidence posters here keep saying that he’ll be our RB back up once we sign a new LB? Based on team selections Ole seems to prefer TFM there. Crystal Palace game being one example where he could have started as RB but didn’t.

https://www.si.com/.amp-manchesteru...on-williams-role-if-man-united-sign-left-back

Theres evidence and its just common sense. He would be a lot better and a lot more confident on the right.
I mean duuuuh. Our coaching staff has to see it too.

I think he is already better than AWB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because he's a right footed full back while Mensah isn't a full back. You don't based something on one game especially the first game of the season. Mensah actually played more than 45 mins against Villa as a centre back while Dalot was the right back against Villa. Williams only came on as sub. So may be match fitness was the issue.

JawZ

Makes me wonder whoever decided to give him the contract upgrade already had in mind of a positional switch during discussions. Just curious to think about.

Cecc07

https://www.si.com/.amp-manchesteru...on-williams-role-if-man-united-sign-left-back

Theres evidence and its just common sense. He would be a lot better and a lot more confident on the right.
I mean duuuuh. Our coaching staff has to see it too.

I think he is already better than AWB.
Already better than AWB? Seriously,? Like always we tend to overrate our youth players, but still this is laughable.

One-two bad games and AWB becomes championshop level? Classical football forum nonsense.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Already better than AWB? Seriously,? Like always we tend to overrate our youth players, but still this is laughable.

One-two bad games and AWB becomes championshop level? Classical football forum nonsense.
It's especially the case with fullbacks. Fans overrate them a lot because they'll see a full back bomb forward and forget everything else. Fullbacks are vital to the game. One of the reasons we've been so bad sine Sir Alex is having poor fullbacks (and also why we have been better last few years. better fullbacks)

Brighton 0:3 Man Utd

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I hope Williams is not shrinking into his shell. There was one really good run from him at Brighton, where he attacked the box and nearly opened them up. I waited for him to repeat it all game. Never happened. Since he smashed his head against Southampton at the end of last season he's lost some of his fearlessness. I dunno if he's been told to hold back or if he's doing it himself. We need more attacking intent from wide so I hope he finds his old oopmh.

Devil may care

A bit more restrained going forward at times, trying to balance his game out, decent all round performance.

Foxbatt

The fact that James was so poor also was some part due to Williams. He gives the ball to James and then moves without looking to see if James can pass it back to him. He did this a few times. There was no way James could pass to him because the path of the ball has a Brighton player.

thepolice123

Thought he was pretty poor.

He is like regressing in reverse. The more he plays, the more shite he becomes.

Craig Ward

I felt against Brighton in particular - while his workrate was top notch, his quality on the ball and positional awareness we're shocking at best.

He just is not cut out to be our starting LB. Back up at best - and thats only due to his workrate and determination to help the team.

Against Brighton - he completely wiped out any threat we had from the left due to his inability to work the flanks properly. He had acres of space regularly and he always, without fail stopped moving forward, cut back in on his right foot and played a simple pass backwards or forwards. So predictable and easy to defend. Also makes our shape a bit mis-jointed as we have no balance without a LB.

People are slamming Dan James, who admittedly didnt have his best game, but in part Williams offered him nothing. You could count on one hand the amount of times Williams tried to attack and link up with James - it was non-existant.

For anyone out there who thinks Williams is better than Shaw - your very much mistaken, Seen a comment earlier that Williams should start ahead of AWB cos he's miles better? Delusional comments

Williams can play a part in our squad - the lads a grafter and with his mentality i'm sure he will get better over time but a starter he isn't

Stretender

I felt against Brighton in particular - while his workrate was top notch, his quality on the ball and positional awareness we're shocking at best.

He just is not cut out to be our starting LB. Back up at best - and thats only due to his workrate and determination to help the team.

Against Brighton - he completely wiped out any threat we had from the left due to his inability to work the flanks properly. He had acres of space regularly and he always, without fail stopped moving forward, cut back in on his right foot and played a simple pass backwards or forwards. So predictable and easy to defend. Also makes our shape a bit mis-jointed as we have no balance without a LB.

People are slamming Dan James, who admittedly didnt have his best game, but in part Williams offered him nothing. You could count on one hand the amount of times Williams tried to attack and link up with James - it was non-existant.

For anyone out there who thinks Williams is better than Shaw - your very much mistaken, Seen a comment earlier that Williams should start ahead of AWB cos he's miles better? Delusional comments

Williams can play a part in our squad - the lads a grafter and with his mentality i'm sure he will get better over time but a starter he isn't
This is what worries me about Ole.

Williams and McTominnay are not first team players for me its even debatable for them to be bench options.

Williams is supposed to be good on the right so am yet to see him play there. McTominnay is not just good at what he is meant to be doing. Not good as a defensive midfielder.

Infact McTominnay and Williams remind me of Van Gaal players Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett. Not good enough at this level. Sell them while they retain some value.

dablem_10

This is what worries me about Ole.

Williams and McTominnay are not first team players for me its even debatable for them to be bench options.

Williams is supposed to be good on the right so am yet to see him play there. McTominnay is not just good at what he is meant to be doing. Not good as a defensive midfielder.

Infact McTominnay and Williams remind me of Van Gaal players Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett. Not good enough at this level. Sell them while they retain some value.
would somebody be interested in them when we have offered them contacts like they currently have?

It's coaching

Why do our fans still not see this? Our fullbacks are told not to cross because it's just giving the ball back to the opposition. All our forwards play on the ground. It's not a stick to beat Williams or anybody else with. If we had Olivier Bierhoff in the team we would see a lot more crosses.

Foxbatt

It is not about not crossing into the box. Yes I agree with and have said many times it is pointless to go to the byline to cross because we do not have anyone to head the ball. But they should be crossing early behind the CBs and this where our strikers should move from the central positions a bit more. The cross should come early.
As for Brandon, I noticed that he passes to James and then sprints forward but not realising the space he moves into is blocked by a Brighton player so its not possible for James to pass to Brandon. Just passing and running nilliwilly is terrible football. Players need to be coached to pass and move.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not really had the best start to a season a boy can have. I think he'll improve as he gets sharper.

On the crossing, it will help if they can charge forward and keep width more consistently. If we don't try to penetrate out wide the opposition knows we aren't a threat and can get away with minimal pressure because our fullbacks are supposed to turn around anyway. Defending with only one man out wide is enough and makes the central area very crowded when we do try to go for it. Even if we don't actually want to do it all game, we should make a real effort in trying to score from such a move out wide early in the game, if only to put a scare into the defence as it might open up central areas as the game go on.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My understanding of events:

- Williams is a decent prospect at RB, but second choice in his age bracket to Laird.
- Due to a spot in the youth team, Williams is shifted to LB to give him game time.
- First team injuries means a chance opens at LB for Williams to play.
- Williams impresses.
- United offer Williams a first team contract.
- United realise that Williams isn’t of the sufficient standard and his right-footedness is unlikely to see him be good enough long term.
- United are set to sign Telles to strengthen at LB.
- Williams is now on relatively high wages, especially given there’s uncertainty that he’s even the best choice to be AWB’s young deputy with Laird still at the club.
- Williams is set to be pushed out on loan.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My understanding of events:

- Williams is a decent prospect at RB, but second choice in his age bracket to Laird.
- Due to a spot in the youth team, Williams is shifted to LB to give him game time.
- First team injuries means a chance opens at LB for Williams to play.
- Williams impresses.
- United offer Williams a first team contract.
- United realise that Williams isn’t of the sufficient standard and his right-footedness is unlikely to see him be good enough long term.
- United are set to sign Telles to strengthen at LB.
- Williams is now on relatively high wages, especially given there’s uncertainty that he’s even the best choice to be AWB’s young deputy with Laird still at the club.
- Williams is set to be pushed out on loan.
Sounds about right, looks like he could be next out of the door. An alternative take could be that we think he’s so promising and want him to go out and get first team football for a season.

Castia

Not got a clue why we’d ditch Williams and Dalot before TFM but there you go.
Surely Williams will be backup RB to AWB?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not got a clue why we’d ditch Williams and Dalot before TFM but there you go.
Surely Williams will be backup RB to AWB?
I see things like this asked often.

Who do you think is better out of Rojo and Jones? Depending on the answer, if we got an offer for the other one, would you propose rejecting it on the premise that you have some sort of order of preference they go in? It makes no difference. TFM was linked to Roma last week, that deal didn’t happen. If a club came and offered us good money for him, it is very likely it would be accepted. If they don’t, he cannot go anywhere.

Do you think we have ‘chosen to get rid of Smalling before Jones?’

YAMS49

Second season syndrome, he's lost the no fear element & is plateauing out as many breakthrough youngsters do. He'll be fine.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A loan move to somebody like Southampton to propel a £15-20m move next summer with some add-ons and/or sell-on clauses would be absolutely perfect. We’d never do that, though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A loan move to somebody like Southampton to propel a £15-20m move next summer with some add-ons and/or sell-on clauses would be absolutely perfect. We’d never do that, though.
He’s from the academy, by the time we decide to sell him it will be the point where we’d struggle to get more than £2m or so. Until then, we’ll say something about ‘gets the club’ and ‘squad player’.

Castia

I see things like this asked often.

Who do you think is better out of Rojo and Jones? Depending on the answer, if we got an offer for the other one, would you propose rejecting it on the premise that you have some sort of order of preference they go in? It makes no difference. TFM was linked to Roma last week, that deal didn’t happen. If a club came and offered us good money for him, it is very likely it would be accepted. If they don’t, he cannot go anywhere.

Do you think we have ‘chosen to get rid of Smalling before Jones?’
But we can’t get rid of all our full backs can we. Letting Williams go makes zero sense regardless of what happens with TFM because he’s simply a better player. Jones and Rojo are like what 5th-6th choice CB’s?

If AWB gets injured one of these guys will play. If Maguire gets injured you still won’t see Rojo anywhere near the starting 11.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But we can’t get rid of all our full backs can we. Letting Williams go makes zero sense regardless of what happens with TFM because he’s simply a better player. Jones and Rojo are like what 5th-6th choice CB’s?

If AWB gets injured one of these guys will play. If Maguire gets injured you still won’t see Rojo anywhere near the starting 11.
But it is your differentiation between both players that I’m perhaps questioning. If they are both in the category of surplus to requirements, then I doubt the club sees no real difference between both. Williams is not a level above TFM anyway. He’s better on the ball, but is also built like a school girl. They are much of a muchness, and we probably want them both out eventually. We got an offer for one, not the other. But the prospect of having to play TFM at RB is no different from the prospect of playing Williams. Firstly, Williams has hardly ever kicked a ball at RB anyway, and TFM has been picked ahead of him there this season anyway, so I doubt we agree he is a worse player.

Ultimately, they are in the same bracket to me. If they both left, we may buy someone. I imagine Ethan Laird will now challenge for that back up role this season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The problem is, as I illustrated, that it has dawned on the club that Williams isn't that great and literally nobody at all 12 months ago thought Williams is better than Laird at right back. United did what they did with the manager and got overexcited by someone performing a caretaker role and then offering them a disproportionate contract for a role they probably aren't competent to fulfil long term.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oh god, we're going to see Mensah as cover for AWB. How exciting.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Williams has to be a AWB alternative. He's a less talented Rafeal in some sense but he has similar attributes in his endeavour and forward instincts atleast.

CM10

This is the kind of mentality which sees us accumulating deadwood we struggle to shift. Williams isn't a first-team player and probably never will be, honestly a team like Southampton is probably his level.

I'd rather see Laird given his chance, we've got to move on from this blind loyalty to academy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.