Brandon Williams is better than Luke Shaw

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't you think?

Surely the best left back at the club. Probably the best all-around full back at the club, purely with regards to his performances in the first team. Needs to be first choice, he's obviously ready.

The Purley King

He has the potential to be.
Just needs to be braver in possession. Too often looks backwards at the moment but that can change.
Would be helped by a good midfield option always available inside which is not always there at the moment.

ArjenIsM3

He was good today. He's also been very shaky before. He's young so I get why consistency is an issue, but I don't think it's the right time for this kind of statement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don't you think?

Surely the best left back at the club. Probably the best all-around full back at the club, purely with regards to his performances in the first team. Needs to be first choice, he's obviously ready.
Wait until end of the season pal. Don't jinx it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He was good today. He's also been very shaky before. He's young so I get why consistency is an issue, but I don't think it's the right time for this kind of statement.
If we had a top left back at the club, I would just sit back and enjoy his gradual introduction into the team with games here and there. But to me he's just so much the better option than Shaw, that I can't pretend I'm not annoyed when he's not playing. Shaw is static going forward and positionally suspect in defense, not to forget that he seems physically off it a bit (seemed to jog back when losing possession today, when everyone else was full tilt). Williams can go either way, which is a huge asset in attack, he seems mentally very driven and he looks to get attacks starting quickly, including driving with the ball with purpose.

I'm not hyping him up any further than saying he's by far our best left back option.

spiriticon

I think Williams is better as well. Shaw is so shite. The fact that Ashley Young can still outperform Shaw at 360 years of age is a damning indictment of his quality

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I like how fearless he is. If managed right he definitely can be.

Raven

I really enjoyed his performance today, looked brilliant, but he's been absolute shite in other games. The underrating of Shaw that goes on around here is mental.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Against teams we’re looking at pinning back then we’d benefit massively from using Williams to help break them down, against teams who’ll be looking at pegging us back I’d use Shaw.

JMack1234

Williams was exceptional today.

He needs to be nurtured for a few seasons and is still incredibly naive whilst defending but I can see him being out LB for most of the coming decade.

spiriticon

Young offers a lot more than Shaw in either direction, and I say that as a person who thinks Young should have retired 3 years ago.

Dante

Average bang
Given how little Burnley attacked, you could just about describe Shaw and Williams as playing in different positions.

Shaw's a better LB, Williams' a better wingback.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He played really well today but let's not get carried away. Ole is managing him just fine. Give him the odd start and some games off the bench. Mind you, I would like to see how he plays at RB as well seeing as he's right footed. On almost all of his overlaps today he ended up passing it back as he cut back to his right foot. Not sure why seeing as the balls he did put in with his left were fantastic...

RedIan

He played really well today but let's not get carried away. Ole is managing him just fine. Give him the odd start and some games off the bench. Mind you, I would like to see how he plays at RB as well seeing as he's right footed. On almost all of his overlaps today he ended up passing it back as he cut back to his right foot. Not sure why seeing as the balls he did put in with his left were fantastic...
Agreed he had a good game but careful management of his development. Shaw is a very good left back imo. Needs games to get back to his best. Brandon will over take him next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In fairness, when he did ping it in with his left he had the same problem James has, no one on the end of it. But yes, he was efficient either way. Makes a huge difference to our attacking balance.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I thought he showed a couple of times today he's willing to go outside and as you say delivered nicely with his left. Hopefully he can improve when it come to making those decisions and be a threat every time he takes the ball into the final third.

As for comparisons with Shaw I think Williams has got much to improve upon defensively, but he obviously has time to do that and I'm happy Shaw will have serious competition for his place this season without the need to identify a transfer target and part with tens of millions of pounds next month.

buckooo1978

I think he is better

certainly better going forward and a constant threat.

more energetic than Shaw and brings more pace to our attacks.

He can have moments of naivety defensively but that will be something he improves on as he plays - in past games he has shown aggression which is a strength but you could see him being goaded

Tarrou

Seems quite straightforward at the moment. Shaw against the big teams. Williams against the shite.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Shaw is old Rooney, Williams is young Beckham. :devil:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think why people pick Shaw is because he is better defensively while Brandon is a bit inconsistent in that department. But everybody knows he is better than Shaw when attacking. Like some people have said, Brandon low block teams and Shaw vs Big teams or teams that don't park the bus

Walters_19_MuFc

Going forward, yes, but defensively, no. I guess it depends on who we play. Against teams who play a deep defensive line, then Williams would be more suited. He plays high, keeps the width and takes the game to the opposition. Shaw, whilst good on the ball, and will occasionally pick out nice passes down the sides or between the lines, is somewhat passive, and doesn't really do enough to unsettle the oppositions defence.

Having said that, there was a tactical change from Ole against Burnley, which saw us play more of a conventional three man midfield and Young playing the inverted full back role. This put emphasis on Williams attacking down the left, with James doing the same thing on the right. It was nice balance!

Andersons Dietician

Today was the first game he showed any real attacking threat. Seemed to gas at about the 60th minute or at least took a break for 20 minutes. had a few shaky moments in defence but generally thought he was really good today. Not sure I’d say he is better than Shaw yet but it will be an interesting one to see develop.

El Jefe

Don't you think?

Let's not go overboard. This was probably Williams first very good defensive performance this season.

He's not better than AWB or Shaw but his performance gives hope that he can finally provide very good competition for Shaw.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's not even close. Why? Watch what Brandon does in the final third vs shaw. Shaw comes to a complete mental and physical stop when he gets the ball in the final third. Lacks any impetus, urgency, intelligence or craft to generate any form of threat. He half asses a 'cross' that is read a mile away because it's a lazy attempt.

Brandon is electric. He has a threatening aura in the final third. He also has a knack of slapping the ball right into the 6 yard box over and over again. When your forwards start to get used to you doing that, they'll make that run more often. Our forwards have been trained by Shaw to languish and wait for a boring pass on the edge of the box over and over again.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The only time I’ve not been impressed was against Sheffield United and he still scored a class goal that day.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Great to have an academy coming through. One less position to buy, both will be at Utd for years to come.

Raven

Let's not go overboard. This was probably Williams first very good defensive performance this season.

He's not better than AWB or Shaw but his performance gives hope that he can finally provide very good competition for Shaw.
Says it perfectly.

KennyBurner

If we had a top left back at the club, I would just sit back and enjoy his gradual introduction into the team with games here and there. But to me he's just so much the better option than Shaw, that I can't pretend I'm not annoyed when he's not playing. Shaw is static going forward and positionally suspect in defense, not to forget that he seems physically off it a bit (seemed to jog back when losing possession today, when everyone else was full tilt). Williams can go either way, which is a huge asset in attack, he seems mentally very driven and he looks to get attacks starting quickly, including driving with the ball with purpose.

I'm not hyping him up any further than saying he's by far our best left back option.
Shaw is very awkward with his passing technique also. He needs to shift his whole body to make a pass which is a big liability for him. Also very one footed and static like you said. Never takes risks and randomly bombs forward whenever he fills like it. I’m glad Williams has already started brightly with 2 MOTM already according to the United website. The competition between both players should hopefully light a fire under Shaw if there is a better player in there.

croadyman

Maybe it's just me but feels like he plays better in the intimidating away atmospheres like Partizan where he won a penalty and Bramall Lane where his goal got us back into the game again. Perhaps this could suggest he could get utilised at Anfield in January but that is probably a bit too much for someone still very new to the team because that place is like a cauldron.

Member 119614

Aren't you all a bit harsh on Shaw? They both get forward often, they're terrible at delivering a final pass. I actually think Shaw looks more comfortable on the ball. Williams is very young though and already making minutes so he'll improve immensely (probably)

Irwin99

Never like putting unfair expectations on young players or judging them as crap or brilliant from a few games.

What I will say though is that it's extremely nice to have a full back that can join in the attack, charge down the wing and create chances. Sorry to say this but if Shaw plays instead yesterday I think we wouldn't have created half as much.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I really like the lad, but he's still very raw. Particularly his positioning and remaining in line with the back four. Defensively he has a lot to sharpen up, so right now I wouldn't say he's better than Luke Shaw. He definitely can be better than him though.

He's had a few games where he was panned on here, and on the caf a player is only as good as his last game generally. He played well today, so understandably he's now on the hype train again. He needs time to improve as well as make mistakes. Happy to see him get games, but Shaw is still 1st choice right now IMO.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Williams is much better going forward and is much more tenacious but Shaw is a much better defender. And it's to be expected since he's 5 years more experienced than Williams. In time Williams should surpass him if he continues on his current trajectory, but at the moment Shaw is the clear first choice with Williams a capable understudy.

prateik

Shaw is clearly #1.
The caf being its usual hyperbolic self.

He is younger.. If he improves and can stay fit (which Shaw has struggled with), he can displace Shaw..
But at the moment.. if both are fully fit, Shaw will get the nod.. easily.. even more in the bigger matches.

LoneStar

I'm just happy that we don't have to buy a LB as priority next summer. He and Shaw should be enough for the next year at least.

We have a lot more positions to upgrade on without worrying about LB.