Brandon Williams is better than Luke Shaw

roseguy64

Mental that people on here are blaming a teenager for a poor performance after getting concussed less than a week ago.

Clearly Brandon sucked it up and played the 90 minutes whilst not fully ready.

Love a player like that. Willing to die for the shirt. OGS ran him into the ground today though.
Who told you he was concussed? Clearly the issue he had was that the cut he got was horrendous. He couldn't see well enough either against Southamption or Palace so wasn't able to play. He trained yesterday so he was fine.

I'm not getting his back though. Most players out there had bad games but no, he wasn't concussed.

Brophs

The One and Only
He had a tough day today but he'll be all the better for it, though it won't seem like that now. He didn't seem to get to grips with the fact Chelsea went after him and we're pressing when the ball was on its way to him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm happy to give him a pass even if he played as Magure - concussion or not, the bash under the eye will be frightening for a teenager when walking out again. You might want to put yourself in the face of it all and power through but naturally you'll be more cautious in your play. He was certainly too cautious today but I don't blame him for it.

kitress

No you're right mate. He was just fine. :rolleyes:
Of course I'm right. He was flopping sideways left and right on the pitch. Concussed person doesn't do that.

Plus the official detail came out he wasn't concussed. Are you also gonna dispute that with a picture of swollen tissues?

DevilRed

Of course I'm right. He was flopping sideways left and right on the pitch. Concussed person doesn't do that.

Plus the official detail came out he wasn't concussed. Are you also gonna dispute that with a picture of swollen tissues?
He may not have been officially concussed, but he definitely wasn't fully ready for this match. It's obvious the head injury has played a part in his poor performance and thats the point we are trying to make.

el3mel

All these bumps. I really think we should start being careful about what we post here from this time on. Some here don't forget anything. :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No you're right mate. He was just fine. :rolleyes:
He got a black eye. A cut on his face. You made up the rest to add emphasis to your point. He was never concussed, and was fine to play today, as his wound had healed.

If he was concussed he legally wouldn’t even be allowed to play today, rules are mandatory 7 days.

Nikelesh Reddy

Nope he isn’t...I”ve never been convinced by the lad,I don’t think he’s good enough to play for the club...We need to sign a new LB to compete with Shaw next season...

midnightmare

Wow! This thread just underlines how tough it is for an academy product to make it at United. To be expected I reckon, from a fanbase that still contains elements who consider Rashford to be "Championship level" and will soon be hounding Mason after each blank he draws. It's almost as if we've never seen youth struggle to get consistent even in good teams, leave alone a developing one.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Was poor yesterday but I still think he’s a good prospect and deserves a season as understudy to Shaw.

romufc

The value of Shaw is only appreciated when he isnt playing. He has the left side on lock generally.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I value fullbacks who can play decently on both sides to a be a important squad option to have within the first team.

Even if he doesn't become great enough to start every match - having a RB/LB defender in the bench is a fantastic tactic incase any of both sides needs covering by one player on match day. We have seen Ole use him at RB and LB aswell.

Whilst Dalot had been hyped before joining us, I feel like William's performances have been better than his so far and is able to cover both sides to a decent standard.

Gopher Brown

I've never rated Williams since his breakthrough. Good attitude but I don't think he'll make it here ultimately.
I couldn’t tell you his strengths and weaknesses despite watching him every time he plays, other than he’s pretty average at everything. I couldn’t even tell you if he’s an attacking fullback or a defensive fullback.

Mind you, I felt the same way about McTominay and he’s alright.

Am I expecting too much from a youngster? I just feel like it has to be clear what they’re offering to the team when they play, rather than making up the numbers.

Classical Mechanic

I couldn’t tell you his strengths and weaknesses despite watching him every time he plays, other than he’s pretty average at everything. I couldn’t even tell you if he’s an attacking fullback or a defensive fullback.

Mind you, I felt the same way about McTominay and he’s alright.

Am I expecting too much from a youngster? I just feel like it has to be clear what they’re offering to the team when they play, rather than making up the numbers.
His strength at youth level was that he was a really quick and powerfull runner who could get up and down the wing all game causing havoc. He was an attacking full back. Apart from that he was quite messy defensively. I think at senior level his great strength has been levelled out.

poleglass red

I'm not typically a huge fan of Shaw, but these last couple of games you sure as hell miss his presence

Craig Ward

He's a squad option and will be a good back up option for both RB abd LB if the first choice pair are out. Even then he will be pushed by TFM/Dalot/Laird/new signing.

For me - never really got the hype. He's miles behind AWB and Shaw and nowhere near ready for a starting spot regularly.

What puts him above, say Dalot is his workrate and mentality. Thats his key - if his attitude drops he hasnt got the natural talent.

He's a classic squad player - nothing more

Gopher Brown

It's funny how many have picked up on William's apparent flaws(shock horror, rookie has areas of his game he needs to improve on) after just a handful of games yet continue to miss/ignore the more obvious ones in Shaw's game, and he's played over a 100 times.
I’m sure most of us don’t think Shaw is good enough either.

K_Ash

cancel this thread. a left footed LB would not have kicked in the middle of the field..only a poor/panicking Right-footed Back playing LB would have made that kind of mistake

Baneofthegame

It's funny how many have picked up on William's apparent flaws(shock horror, rookie has areas of his game he needs to improve on) after just a handful of games yet continue to miss/ignore the more obvious ones in Shaw's game, and he's played over a 100 times.
Who has ignored Shaws flaws? Whilst the reaction to Williams is OTT, Shaw has his flaws pointed out all of the time.

Yet since he has been out of the back line we have looked garbage.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do remember stating that of course he's not better yet, but give him a break, players have off days. The same will happen with Henderson who is now being touted for 1st place keeper. He'll make the inevitable mistake too and people will realise that they got carried away again...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Who has ignored Shaws flaws? Whilst the reaction to Williams is OTT, Shaw has his flaws pointed out all of the time.

Yet since he has been out of the back line we have looked garbage.
Yeah but the wrong flaws. If he can't read the script he's lost positionally most of the time, and more so in defence. I just don't feel the lad is ever gonna get it. Timbo was more clued in there defensively verses Palace, and he's not played there for years.

Coincidence. Maguire being to brave too brave for his own good and De Gea throwing them in would still have happened if Shaw had played or not.

El Zoido

Wow! This thread just underlines how tough it is for an academy product to make it at United. To be expected I reckon, from a fanbase that still contains elements who consider Rashford to be "Championship level" and will soon be hounding Mason after each blank he draws. It's almost as if we've never seen youth struggle to get consistent even in good teams, leave alone a developing one.
It’s tiresome coming here these days to be honest, unless we win 4-0 and dominate, there‘s always this kind of micro-analysis.

Mcking

cancel this thread. a left footed LB would not have kicked in the middle of the field..only a poor/panicking Right-footed Back playing LB would have made that kind of mistake
He's played more games now, and people are coming to realize that he is nothing special.

When he first came into the team, he could do no wrong. He is no longer the fresh attractive face anymore though, so he is now expected to perform, and unsurprisingly, he is doing it wrong.

It's going to happen with another academy or new player again soon. Embarrassing thread.

Baneofthegame

Yeah but the wrong flaws. If he can't read the script he's lost positionally most of the time, and more so in defence. I just don't feel the lad is ever gonna get it. Timbo was more clued in there defensively verses Palace, and he's not played there for years.

Coincidence. Maguire being to brave too brave for his own good and De Gea throwing them in would still have happened if Shaw had played or not.
Don’t personally think Shaw would give it away as much as Williams, but to each there own.

dove

He's played more games now, and people are coming to realize that he is nothing special.

When he first came into the team, he could do no wrong. He is no longer the fresh attractive face anymore though, so he is now expected to perform, and unsurprisingly, he is doing it wrong.

It's going to happen with another academy or new player again soon. Embarrassing thread.
It's hilarious. I remember Cameron Borthwick-Jackson who was touted to be our left back for years to come by some of our fans. He was extremely limited and was quite clear he is not gonna make it here or in any PL team and to me Williams is exactly that. I think he will struggle to find a club in a few years.

midnightmare

It’s tiresome coming here these days to be honest, unless we win 4-0 and dominate, there‘s always this kind of micro-analysis.
Aye. This is the same bunch that would have swapped Martial for Perisic and Rashford for Willian. Oh and most wanted Shaw himself shipped out not too long ago... :lol: :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Precisely this. Hard truth unfortunately and this holds good for lot of players and our manager.

KennyBurner

This thread getting bumped especially after he got concussed and hasn’t had any run of games recently after the restart is embarrassing. Let’s just leave it at that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Have to be fair to Brandon.......if you put AWB at left back or Shaw at RB it wouldn't be pretty at all either. Why is the club determined to play him on the left? He can't use his left foot at all really. He looks very awkward out there. I think he'd make a pretty good right back though.

Nick7

Have to be fair to Brandon.......if you put AWB at left back or Shaw at RB it wouldn't be pretty at all either. Why is the club determined to play him on the left? He can't use his left foot at all really. He looks very awkward out there. I think he'd make a pretty good right back though.
He’s been playing left back for years now. Ole isn’t just dumping a right back on the left because he feels like it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He’s been playing left back for years now. Ole isn’t just dumping a right back on the left because he feels like it.
Was he playing left back in the ressies because the right back was better though? Similar to why Phil Neville played on the left because his brother was the better player.

He doesn't look like a left back in a million years. He can't use his left foot for starters. There's not many right footed left backs who have done well over the years. Irwin and Lahm did it great. Most fail as it's tough on your wrong side.

Think he'd do okay at right back if given a run though.

Mcking

This thread getting bumped especially after he got concussed and hasn’t had any run of games recently after the restart is embarrassing. Let’s just leave it at that.
Whether he was concussed or not, for long as this thread lives, it will always serve as a reminder of a terrible take that came to be accepted by quite a few.

It looked stupid back then, still looks stupid and will continue to look stupid for as long as Williams and Shaw both play football.

Deery

Dreary
The kid had one bad game, he hasn’t had a run of games, he’s coming back from injury and the whole team that played pure shite.

Really some of you need to get a grip, he’s only 19 and has still got a lot to give..

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

IMO his lack of game time is why he was shit. He easily could have had more minutes under his belt since the restart. He has 180 mins in total since the restart and there have been a total of zero reserve games.

I'm not being a William's apologist as hes a country mile from Shaws level right now, but I feel this is a gap that could easily have been bridged.

Devil81

He's only a kid and he's shown more than enough to suggest he could grow to become a fantastic player for the club.

In comparison, we paid well over the odds for a Portugues full back and he's been terrible in the two years he's been at the club and has shown far less than Williams. The pass for the second goal yesterday was a shocker but the goal was from a tame shot, De Gea should be saving his bacon. Other than that he was a little all over the shop at times, but given it was Chelsea and a pressured semi-final we asked a lot of him.