Brandon Williams is better than Luke Shaw

Mcking

West Ham's RW had him on toast today. The opposition's RW always has him on toast.

No Love

Some of these threads made after 3-4 games.

I hope I don't have one that gets bumped :lol:
It genuinely puts me off even making threads about some players. The ignominy of getting Cleverley #23 on the back of a top many years ago was galling enough. I could never imagine putting my neck on the line for a Brandon Williams and having it haunt me around these parts in subsequent years :lol:

DannyDee

He's looked bad the last two games. Shaw's lack of ability in the final 1/3rd is a frustrating, but Williams look lost a lot. He got walked a couple of times today, and while De Gea should have had it, that was a huge mistake vs Chesea.

A9X SJ

Why can’t we have a LB who just whips the ball into the danger area constantly going back & sideways

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Luke Shaw is a good left back, not elite, but a good solid top 6 level left back. Brandon Willians is a young raw right back playing out of position at a level he isn’t ready for. I’ll cut the kid some slack as he’s done very well at times, but this thread is ridiculous now & was ridiculous then. Williams wouldn’t look out of place in league 1, Shaw is a top 6 level full back.

KevinJoh

He is neither world class full back, and neither amateur. He is the kid that had a few excellent games, and also had a few bad ones. I would not judge his long term future on this performance. First of all he is the only left back we have at the moment, and one that just week ago had pretty terrible head injury with closed eye. I would say he is brave enough to put his body on the line and a week later to play 2x90 minutes for us. He made a few mistakes, but he was not the worst one on the pitch. I would expect much more from Bruno, Pogba and Rashford for example in this game, and would not expect from 19 years old full back to save us. So, yes, bad performance, probably feeling injury and mistake against Chelsea, but I would expect that he will improve and be even better next season. That run in the box with sending defender for a beer and chips, setting up a chance for Greenwood was just a sign what he can do once he get more confidence. I don't think he will ever be world class full back (but who knows), but he will have good PL career and hopefully will have good career with us for years.

davidmichael

I just don’t get the hate Shaw gets on here at all, he’s been one of our most consistent players over the past couple of seasons.

As far as the Premier League can someone name 5 better left backs in the league ? Robertson obviously but for me that’s the only obvious one, on his day Shaw is as good if not better than the majority in the league.

Having a natural left footed full back also seems to bring out the best in Rashford too which in turn brings out the best in Martial, we don’t need a team full of superstars to be the best team and Shaw fits perfectly into our system and is a big miss when not playing.

Reiver

I've been a big fan of Shaw in the past. Still am but, particularly this season I've been increasingly annoyed by his defensive positioning. This aside, I agree with others who have said the criticism of him over the years is ridiculous.
I'd still put him ahead of Williams right now. This could change fairly quickly depending on Williams development.
It would probably be possible to significantly upgrade on both of them if Ole decided that's where he wanted to invest the money.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
.At full-time one of the first things that crossed my mind was at least Williams won't get slaughtered on RedCafe, how wrong was I?

He can't/won't use his left-foot is often aimed at him(wrongly), but he used his left-foot more last night than Luke Shaw has used his right-foot all season, and he put a peach of a cross in with his left that Shaw would have been proud of, I'm still laughing at the thought of Shaw putting any sort of cross in with his right-foot, but there you go.

A solid 7/10 last night for me, but the hate for the kid(which is friggin disturbing) runs deep.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kid is 19 years old. Cut him some slack. Definitely had a good season overall but naturally will take time for him. He'll get better and better as he gets more comfortable in the league.

OverratedOpinion

This is actually astounding. Not just with hindsight but at any point in their careers. Brandon Williams has never failed to make our back 4 look less stable and Luke Shaw had always been an extremely talented player.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't you think?

Surely the best left back at the club. Probably the best all-around full back at the club, purely with regards to his performances in the first team. Needs to be first choice, he's obviously ready.
You’ve had a mare here pal. Declaring him “obviously ready” after about 3 decent performances. We never learn do we.

In all seriousness, Borthwick-Jackson showed much more promise than Williams.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You’ve had a mare here pal. Declaring him “obviously ready” after about 3 decent performances. We never learn do we.

In all seriousness, Borthwick-Jackson showed much more promise than Williams.
I did. He was good for about 5-10 matches. Faded fast. Shaw on the other hand has been average and below average for a good few years, but this season he's been by far our most improved player. He's not looked this good since the start of the season 2-3 years ago where he played well for 5 games and then got a new deal.

This thread will look worse and worse, but I disagree on Borthwick-Jackson, he had a decent cross and nothing else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He definitely needs a loan next season
Yup. He isn't developing at all and right now isn't even squad player/back up material. Needs to improve before we can consider even for that. Otherwise we need a replacement.

Teja

Who is our back up RB now?

AWB and Maguire for all the stick they get have played some insane minutes this season.

AWB specifically gets up and down the pitch the whole 90 minutes every 3 days. Incredible athlete.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I had to fight half the caf last season when I wasn’t wrapped up in academy fuzz and said he was a poor player from the start. Has no business at this level, but I’m almost certain he’s on borrowed time. Started 3 games all season, he’s not trusted and he’s not good enough. If he cons Southampton into a contract he’s extremely lucky.

Eddy_JukeZ

:lol:

Well we've all been guilty of overreacting, but this was quite extreme even back then.

tjb

Who is our back up RB now?

AWB and Maguire for all the stick they get have played some insane minutes this season.

AWB specifically gets up and down the pitch the whole 90 minutes every 3 days. Incredible athlete.
That's something that doesn't get mentioned enough. AWB's attacking flaws should be covered with support so he can focus more on the defensive spect, sometimes I think he gets stretched.

Eternitiy

Best LB prospect I’ve ever personally seen at 19 years old. Bale wasn’t that polished and mature, neither was Ashley Cole.

I’m actually more excited about him than Mason Greenwood.
How disturbing is this?

Especially considering Luke Shaw was in the PL Team of the Season at 18 when he was at Southampton.

Brandon Williams, best you've seen? Wow!

thepolice123

Some of the overrating and overanalysing were comedy gold.

Someone even called Williams the best LB prospect he's ever seen. Thank feck these people aren't the club scouts. :lol:

Golden Nugget

That's something that doesn't get mentioned enough. AWB's attacking flaws should be covered with support so he can focus more on the defensive spect, sometimes I think he gets stretched.
AWB’s attacking play still isn’t great, but there’s been a much greater improvement in the past month or so. I think having movement in the box (Cavani) plays a big role in that

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Aged poorly but you have to consider at the time he was playing really well and Shaw was either constantly injured or playing average.

You also have to factor in the fact that Williams has had hardly any game time in the first team this season and his position has been changed (I know he's right footed so it should suit him better but still, he had likely adjusted to LB).

Asking him to come on in a game where Roma are throwing everything at us means it would be harsh to judge him on that. Same goes for Telles in some respects but I have less sympathy for him with so much experience.

I'm not sure he has a future at Utd but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Could be a good player to keep around, able to cover LB and RB in emergencies.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
just checked my posts in this thread - nothing embarasing thankfully !

a bit kneejerk based on just a few performances but it wasnt a totally crazy statement at the time