Brands: JLINGZ, JJO, Fierce, AM9, JM8, Paul Pogba Collection

passing-wind

Nothing wrong with footballers trying new means of business in their professional careers. Building brands however is always going to agitate public perception being that they are professionals. I feel they should do it however with a respectable strong business team behind them, not shouldering total responsibility so that it becomes a hindrance in their focus professionally. They should be the face of the business not essential to the infrastructure.

Pogba's model with Adidas is perhaps the best medium because the impetus is that Adidas is already a globally recognised trademark so any collaboration is far more profitable then the chances of launching a new brand into an existing market which requires too much.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
They probably cost around that to make anyway. He's just clearing out stock (most of his collection) like any store does. Especially for things that don't sell forever (phone shapes changing for new gens etc).
If he sold any at £18 or even £10 they were prob profitable.

It's a hobby for them, and since they can some people really enjoy making their own swag for branding and giving out to family/friends.
Selling it just gives an opportunity to reach some fans and somewhat justify the collection designed/produced for his own gift giving.

I work in an industry where the company often gives out lots of branded swag for free to friends/contacts. Part of it to help branding, but also cause it feels cool to give away stuff.
Just looking at Jlingz.com, the business is obviously dead in the water. I know that Jesse made some facemasks and donate 100% of the proceeds (I belive that was the case) to a MUFC hospital. Which is great, but that won't amount to much.

The CPO for online businesses is very high, especially in a market as flooded as apparel and athleisure, you won't get high on the google listing. The only way this type of operation works is if the brand name itself is hugely popular, which I guess was the case with Jesse at the start but that's dropped a bit now, perhaps the West Ham resurgence will do him some good. In some ways Im a bit happy to see that he hasnt been giving his brand a whole lot of attention and focused on other things, hopefully that has been trying to get back into the team - I know he's had family issues so that probably taken priority as well.

I looked at the accounting for Jesse's firm in 2020 and it's just a small time "from the bedroom" type of business. I made a longer comment on this last year because so many people were giving Jesse shit for spending all this money and time on the brand, when the truth was that he probably barely gives it a second thought, and his massive income makes the company losses a easily forgotten afterthought.

I think that Jesse originally wanted to have a successful clothing brand, but, anyone that's worked in a startup knows that if you don't invest your life, forget about it. I know that the company had at least one of his friends as a co-owner/employee, but yeah.. hard work and the brand was dependant on the professional success of its namesake.

As for the collection itself, it's just basic apparer with a logo on it, there's nothing about it that's new or haven't been done by hundreds before. Plus who are the customers? Kids and men in their early 20's. No 30+ year old is going to wear a hoodie with a handsymbol logo, that's a young mans choice of wear.

I think that the smartest thing for Jesse would be to simply give the stock away to fans through random giveaways, signed (if they want) and create some positive publicity for himself. And deactivate that "AW19" section, it's 2021.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Nothing wrong with footballers trying new means of business in their professional careers. Building brands however is always going to agitate public perception being that they are professionals. I feel they should do it however with a respectable strong business team behind them, not shouldering total responsibility so that it becomes a hindrance in their focus professionally. They should be the face of the business not essential to the infrastructure.

Pogba's model with Adidas is perhaps the best medium because the impetus is that Adidas is already a globally recognised trademark so any collaboration is far more profitable then the chances of launching a new brand into an existing market which requires too much.
The bolded part is the only way businesses for professional sportspeople can feasibly work while they are active, spot on.

Andersonson

I like him as player, always give what he has,and has scored some beauties.

But, that collection is horrible and very cringe. When I was 28 I wouldnt want a backpack with a neon-wolf and « swag» handsymbol.

Its just weird?

CallyRed

Think it should be task on The Apprentice
"Sell as much this shit as you can. You have 5 hours"

Josep Dowling

This is hilarious. This guy has some serious delusions of grandeur.
You laugh but he has 7.8m followers on Instagram alone. His last tweet has over 600k likes. Even if 1% are interested in the shit he sells that’s a lot of merchandise sold.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s such a child. He surely appeals to children. Meh. I asked my nephew who is 9 if he likes the tshirt and he said no and he’s into football. Hopefully he moves on and bangs in a rake of goals against the competition. That was a bleak time with the clothing brands as we languished out of the top 4.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You laugh but he has 7.8m followers on Instagram alone. His last tweet has over 600k likes. Even if 1% are interested in the shit he sells that’s a lot of merchandise sold.
Just goes to show if you come through the United academy, play for the u18 or u23 i think, you can make a really good life for yourself.

Ryan Tunnecliffe, who disappeared, is a millionaire twice over.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
MG11 the latest addition!

Hmmm. This kind of shit seems to go hand in hand with poor performances, almost as if they don't have to knuckle down at the football anymore. Hopefully not the case here, but he's obviously had a few issues with concentrating on his football already.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Imagine having all that money and all you can think to do with it is start yet another generic fashion brand.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
can you imagine the amount of londis dwelling, single mother tang you could snare with a pair of jlingz joggers?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
In fairness, with some vaguely creative accountancy I am sure that having a loss-making second business actually ends up in a much lower annual tax liability. Assuming he has got some professional to do all the corporate structuring and nonsense. Maybe that was the plan all along.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hmmm. This kind of shit seems to go hand in hand with poor performances, almost as if they don't have to knuckle down at the football anymore. Hopefully not the case here, but he's obviously had a few issues with concentrating on his football already.
Reminds me of Cleverley introducing his TC23 brand, when he is playing like shite for us.

SirAF

Ageist
Out of curiousity, have any of you purchased anything from their personal brands and if so, what?
Only a few CR7 boxers, they’re quite comfy!

Lingard is a decent player and all but why anyone would want to own a brand from an average player like him or Martial etc boggles the mind.

Maticmaker

Nothing wrong with players having outside interests and other paid work or consultancy, etc. after all our Politicians do and they are supposed to be running the country, not playing for the entertainment of others!

That comparison aside, surely its up to the manager, if a player is performing badly he should be dropped, whether its because of outside interests, or his form has just inexplicably 'dipped', or he's ignoring requests to 'get your sh*t together', whatever. Fergie was supposedly to have told David Beckham "son decide whether your a United player or a Celeb, we give you six weeks off in the summer to recharge your batteries, not running around the world promoting your wife".... well we all know how that turned out!

Given how some of these business attempts at 'image branding' turn out for many players, you can't help feeling the marketing people and the 'brand consultants' etc. saw them coming a mile off! A top footballers professional life is limited (on average) to maybe 8-10 years if they are lucky and avoid injury etc. so looking for something to make money at when they stop playing is to be applauded... on the whole. When kids join clubs their education is usually continued, in parallel until the are 18 years old, sometimes even longer; unfortunately it seems, for some, no amount of education will eclipse stupidity!

Last edited: