Film Braveheart or Gladiator

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Settle this once and for all, which one is better and why?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Gladiator

Why? Because it's a great film, and to be honest, I've not seen Braveheart since I were a kid, so probably never really appreciated it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Gladiator had by far the better fight sequences. Do not look in the background of any fight sequence in Braveheart, it'll break all immersion. :lol:

I did love Braveheart as a kid mind, but I kind of feel that film hasn't aged well. Gladiator is still as good as ever tbh.

Hoof the ball

Phoenix's Commodus was more nuanced than the Braveheart counterpart. Much more multi-faceted and fleshed out. Crowe and Phoenix alone are enough to form a solid argument for Gladiator, even without commenting on Ridley's direction, cinematography and score.

El-Manos

Difficult, both are great. However, I'd pick Gladiator. The story, the music, the acting. Just superb.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Gladiator for me. But mostly because Mel Gibson hasnt aged well.

Tiber

Of Those two? Gladiator without hesitation.

What a speech

DVG7

Gladiator aged far better and was far more realistic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Both in my top 10, maybe top 5 of all time.

Braveheart for me. The English on the Caf seemingly dislikes their PM & royal family, so I'm not sure but would there be possible bias on here against Braveheart? (actually thinking about it, maybe for Braveheart :lol:).

Anyway. Love both movies. Add Shawshank Redemption in there.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Both in my top 10, maybe top 5 of all time.

Braveheart for me. The English on the Caf seemingly dislikes their PM & royal family, so I'm not sure but would there be possible bias on here against Braveheart? (actually thinking about it, maybe for Braveheart :lol:).

Anyway. Love both movies. Add Shawshank Redemption in there.
Nah, the English win at the end of Braveheart, don't they?

Plus the King in it is one of the best baddies ever.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nah, the English win at the end of Braveheart, don't they?

Plus the King in it is one of the best baddies ever.
Longshanks. :lol: Feck dude, I've watched both of these movies way too many times. A pity the King's son was such a "let down". ;)

Yeah, they rightfully slay William Wallace, but as the narration go....the Scots ended up winning under Bruce?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Braveheart, by some distance.

Name another movie with a story so compelling you feel sorry for Mel Gibson, and has Sophie Marceau...exactly.

InfiniteBoredom

Both films are a travesty historically but Gladiator is actually well made, the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is arguably his finest work ever.

Acting performance wise Gladiator also tramples all over Braveheart, Connie Nielsen and Joaquin Phoenix were mesmerizing, can’t say the same for Sophie Marceau and Patrick McGoohan (Longshanks).

Spark

Watched Braveheart recently, as fancied a classic.

What an utter shite film.

Gladiator is a film I watch easily twice a year thinking I haven’t seen it in ages. Absolutely cracking, a million miles better than Braveheart.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Watched Braveheart recently, as fancied a classic.

What an utter shite film.

Gladiator is a film I watch easily twice a year thinking I haven’t seen it in ages. Absolutely cracking, a million miles better than Braveheart.
Exactly how I feel.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This topic makes me want to watch Rob Roy.

By far the best movie in the Taken franchise.

sherrinford

Both films are a travesty historically but Gladiator is actually well made, the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is arguably his finest work ever.

Acting performance wise Gladiator also tramples all over Braveheart, Connie Nielsen and Joaquin Phoenix were mesmerizing, can’t say the same for Sophie Marceau and Patrick McGoohan (Longshanks).
Come on, Longshanks was a great baddie!

InfiniteBoredom

Come on, Longshanks was a great baddie!
The actor had great charisma and screen presence, but he wasn’t given much to work with, just a by the book villain with no redeeming quality, from the first scene when he walked in and chuck his son’s advisor out of the window, you can see that coming from miles away.

One thing I’ll say in favor of that film is that no matter how surreal it got, there’s nothing as ridiculous as Maximus continuing to be a slave after the very public declaration in the Collosseum.

Kag

Braveheart has been doing the rounds of Sky Movies recently. It hasn’t half aged terribly. Still a fun watch, mind.

Gladiator is better acted, better directed and better to look at. The score, as commented upon, will always be phenomenal.

Gladiator all day.

sherrinford

The actor had great charisma and screen presence, but he wasn’t given much to work with, just a by the book villain with no redeeming quality, from the first scene when he walked in and chuck his son’s advisor out of the window, you can see that coming from miles away.

One thing I’ll say in favor of that film is that no matter how surreal it got, there’s nothing as ridiculous as Maximus continuing to be a slave after the very public declaration in the Collosseum.
He’s good at it though, nothing wrong with that.

Both films are great - is there a historical epic to match them?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Gladiator because it didn't completely make a joke of actual historical events. Don't get me wrong - I love Braveheart in its own right, it has it all in a way, but Gladiator in many ways is much more memorable.

I still remember the chills I got from the opening battle scene, the emotion from when Maximus found his wife and son, the anger and hatred I felt for Commodus. Tbh - can't think of any other movie I had those vast range of intense emotions with.

InfiniteBoredom

Gladiator because it didn't completely make a joke of actual historical events. Don't get me wrong - I love Braveheart in its own right, it has it all in a way, but Gladiator in many ways is much more memorable.

I still remember the chills I got from the opening battle scene, the emotion from when Maximus found his wife and son, the anger and hatred I felt for Commodus.
Except if you are talking strictly about historicity, Braveheart holds up better than Gladiator.

Maximus was completely made up, Commodus was always designed as heir (Marcus Aurelius went against the then long established tradition of adopting a competent public servant/military commander as protégée and heir in favour of his own blood, and the dude was actually choked to death in his bath by a Gladiator hired by a mistress of his)