Film Braveheart or Gladiator

djdhrubs

Braveheart was better IMO. The freedom speech in Braveheart was better than any of the speeches in Gladiator. Plus I remember being a bit bored in Gladiator at times. I thought the villain in Braveheart was better too, pushing that dude out of the window etc. Plus Sophie Marceau. And Mel has always been good and whipping up the emotions when he's out for revenge. Put it this way, you'd rather Russell Crowe was after you after you'd killed his family than Mel.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Braveheart had some humorous moments; was there any humour in Gladiator though?

hungrywing

Braveheart had some humorous moments; was there any humour in Gladiator though?
Nope.

Off the top of my head:

1. The grabbing of the nuts.
2. A man's skull, no.
3. The soup is lava.

Mel Gibson is a lot more comfortable with it. Ridley Scott is like Nolan. Tres stiff upper lip.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Both great movies, in top 10 on my list. But Gladiator is better. It has Crowe who is imo, one of the best actors ever.

Both failed to be historically accurate though which is shame.

Edit: while i am writing this i am watching Patriot again. Brits are portrayed pretty badly in both Patriot and Braveheart. I wonder what English posters think about that.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

Braveheart is dreadful shit and tainted by its appalling lead actor.
Gladiator is moderately decent.
By default, Gladiator wins.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Gladiator, It's not even close for me. We all know Crowe would batter Gibson as well.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Gladiator is the best out of these two. Great cinematography, fantastic Hans Zimmer soundtrack and the end makes my eyes sweat. Course it’s bullshit but it’s brilliant, entertaining bullshit.

Braveheart has Mel Gibson in it. Can’t watch him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Both great movies, in top 10 on my list. But Gladiator is better. It has Crowe who is imo, one of the best actors ever.

Both failed to be historically accurate though which is shame.

Edit: while i am writing this i am watching Patriot again. Brits are portrayed pretty badly in both Patriot and Braveheart. I wonder what English posters think about that.
We really don't give a shit.

Tel074

Braveheart for me by a mile . I thought Gladiator was a average watch

Idxomer

Braveheart is passionately made film as it's always the case with Gibson and that elevates above its messiness.

Gladiator otoh is phony and very poorly made, only the acting makes it half watchable.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Braveheart was historically inaccurate. Absolute joke of a movie
Gladiator at least didn't try and pretend it was fact

Fingeredmouse

Braveheart was historically inaccurate. Absolute joke of a movie
Gladiator at least didn't try and pretend it was fact
"OK, now you’ll know more than any other audience I’ve played in the last three weeks that Braveheart is the shittest film ever made, right? It was. It was directed by the reactionary Catholic bigot Mel Gibson, and it’s full of basic, fundamental historical errors which insult your race, and mine by association. Right? Here’s … Here’s just three off the top of my head.
Firstly, William Wallace, Braveheart, your national hero, he wasn’t some, you know, noble savage living in a mud hut, we all know that. He was a privileged, educated nobleman, right?
Secondly, it’s not mentioned by Mel Gibson in the film, but there’s some evidence to suggest that he actually fought as a mercenary for the English as a teenager. That’s conveniently missed out.
Thirdly, you know that French princess he’s supposed to have sex with? This French princess, in the film, you remember? And the implication is that he gets her pregnant and she marries Edward II of England, so it’s his kid. Now – she was a real historical figure, that French princess. But at the time of the death of William Wallace, Braveheart, your national hero, she was only four years old.
Now, Glasgow, I’m not saying that William Wallace, Brave heart, your national hero, didn’t have sex with her … "
Stewart Lee, Glasgow, 2005

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
"OK, now you’ll know more than any other audience I’ve played in the last three weeks that Braveheart is the shittest film ever made, right? It was. It was directed by the reactionary Catholic bigot Mel Gibson, and it’s full of basic, fundamental historical errors which insult your race, and mine by association. Right? Here’s … Here’s just three off the top of my head.
Firstly, William Wallace, Braveheart, your national hero, he wasn’t some, you know, noble savage living in a mud hut, we all know that. He was a privileged, educated nobleman, right?
Secondly, it’s not mentioned by Mel Gibson in the film, but there’s some evidence to suggest that he actually fought as a mercenary for the English as a teenager. That’s conveniently missed out.
Thirdly, you know that French princess he’s supposed to have sex with? This French princess, in the film, you remember? And the implication is that he gets her pregnant and she marries Edward II of England, so it’s his kid. Now – she was a real historical figure, that French princess. But at the time of the death of William Wallace, Braveheart, your national hero, she was only four years old.
Now, Glasgow, I’m not saying that William Wallace, Brave heart, your national hero, didn’t have sex with her … "
Stewart Lee, Glasgow, 2005
So typical Stewart Lee :lol:

Devil81

I'd have to say Braveheart is the better movie, both excellent movies.