Brazil 1982: Falcao, Socrates, Cerezo

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Just going through videos of great old teams. This was undoubtedly(IMHO) the best team never to win a WC.

Was this midfield one of the best ever? Falcao; very creative,shooting ability,limitless energy. Cerezo; tireless DM,elegant could get forward . Socrates; the brain of Brazil,complete midfielder,an all time great , and he smoked and drank like there was no tomorrow:lol:. died at 57,RIP

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just going through videos of great old teams. This was undoubtedly(IMHO) the best team never to win a WC.

Was this midfield one of the best ever? Falcao; very creative,shooting ability,limitless energy. Cerezo; tireless DM,elegant could get forward . Socrates; the brain of Brazil,complete midfielder,an all time great , and he smoked and drank like there was no tomorrow:lol:. died at 57,RIP
Eder was my hero as a schoolkid.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I was in work yesterday when the season was suspended (and the rugby). I thought "what am I going to do all weekend?! I know, I'll watch the Treble season boxset then find those programmes that look back at great WC teams/games."

Clear to see how our lives are dominated by football?

And in answer to op question, pretty much. That team/midfield was a thing of beauty ..... and the Italy game was fantastic.

EwanI Ted

Probably my favourite historical team. Watching their goals from ‘82 is like watching a goal of the season competition.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't think we'll ever see a team score (and nearly score) so many ridiculous goals in the space of one tournament. What a pleasure to watch them in full flow. Scotland had a cracking team then comprising the key players of club teams dominating European football yet we were outclassed by sheer brilliance - Zico's free-kick and Eder's chip were unstoppable.

Their two flaws were at centre-forward and centre-half. It was a pity Careca got injured in the run-up as otherwise their all-out-attack strategy may have paid off. And they were clearly a lot weaker in the heart of defence compared to their rivals that summer - Italy (Scirea/Bergomi), Germany (Forster/Stielike), Argentina (Passarella), France (Tresor/Bossis), Poland (Zmuda) - where there was top-end quality leading the organisation.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't think we'll ever see a team score (and nearly score) so many ridiculous goals in the space of one tournament. What a pleasure to watch them in full flow. Scotland had a cracking team then comprising the key players of club teams dominating European football yet we were outclassed by sheer brilliance - Zico's free-kick and Eder's chip were unstoppable.

Their two flaws were at centre-forward and centre-half. It was a pity Careca got injured in the run-up as otherwise their all-out-attack strategy may have paid off. And they were clearly a lot weaker in the heart of defence compared to their rivals that summer - Italy (Scirea/Bergomi), Germany (Forster/Stielike), Argentina (Passarella), France (Tresor/Bossis), Poland (Zmuda) - where there was top-end quality leading the organisation.
Yes that was the obvious flaw. Think they still had the 1970 mentality that they would out score the opposition.

Shame they didn’t but became cult heroes despite that. Paolo Rossi who ironically contributed more to them going out, was devastated by Socrates’ death. “A piece of our history that’s broken and gone away.”

Denis' cuff

aye, they were pretty good, werent they mate?

best never to win? Hard to say. The 74 Dutch team were pretty decent, too.

quethenoo

I only watched them retrospectively but absolutely loved that team from world cup 82 videos. Sven was on mnf the other night and he cited falcao as the best player he has ever worked with, and that is quite something when you see the list of players to choose from. Personal favourite, eders goal against Russia in the group stages where I think Socrates dummies it, he flicks it up and then volleys it....

Socrates is the pretty much the coolest player ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Aside from that midfield (in which you should include Zico as well), I absolutely adore Eder. He’s not an all-time great by any measure, but his left foot was unbelievable... the power and the curvature of his shots were unreal, it’s like the laws of physics didn't apply to him.

As for the best side not to win the World Cup, I’d still put them behind Hungary and Netherlands, but a top-3 place for them is guaranteed.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Eder was one of those rare players who could both blast and caress the ball to an elite level. He was world class at hammering it from distance or dinking it delicately. Not many players over the years have had that combination in their finishing, most tend to be one or the other.

harms

Staff
This happened before the tournament, but it would've been one of the greatest goals ever if that had gone in.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wouldn't have it as my greatest but arguably the most beautiful...For those who haven't had a chance @Gio presented the Brazil 1982 Team in our podcast dedicated to discussing the 'Greatest Team to never win the World Cup'...

Link to podcast

lysglimt

Scout
I actually remember this team (man I feel old) - and I agree they were good going forward, but to say they were the best never to win the World Cup ? No way - defensively they were awful. There have been a lot better, or at least much better balanced sides never to win.

But I agree - going forward they were a joy to watch

Charles Miller

The team would be perfect with Careca, but he was injured. Serginho looks so out of place there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Which was the worst Brazil world cup team of the modern era, 1990 or 2014? Even 2014 wouldn't have been that bad if Scolari had actually called up the infrom players at the time like Coutinho.

1990 is a pretty forgettable one really looking at the squad and manager.

Denis' cuff

Hmmm... after watching that, hard to deny they were maybe the best never to.. Socrates was just magic, wasn’t he?

another greatest never to win it were the Hungarians of 1954, with Puskás, Hidegkuti, Kocsis etc, according to my old fella.

Denis' cuff

Which was the worst Brazil world cup team of the modern era, 1990 or 2014? Even 2014 wouldn't have been that bad if Scolari had actually called up the infrom players at the time like Coutinho.

They were pretty awful in 74 too. Just 4 years after that great side, they suddenly went all physical. The magic had gone.

HaliRed

Wasn't Junior also part of that midfield? I still remember his samba dance after scroing against Argentina in the second round.

I hated Serginho so much as the number 9 on that team...He blew so many chances to put Italy away in one of the best matches in World Cup History. I remember asking my parents to change my name after that match (name is Serge) because I did not want to be associated with him.

I was 8...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Don’t disagree although they were unlucky to go out to Argentina in 1990, creating and squandering a load of chances, before being undone by Maradona late on. The 1974 team were an underwhelming and cynical bunch who looked like the rapid European evolution of the game had passed them by. Other than them the last three Brazilian sides have all been fairly solid at the back, 7-1 notwithstanding, but fall sort of the attacking bar set by previous generations.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hmmm... after watching that, hard to deny they were maybe the best never to.. Socrates was just magic, wasn’t he?

another greatest never to win it were the Hungarians of 1954, with Puskás, Hidegkuti, Kocsis etc, according to my old fella.
I'd go for Holland in 74. Cruyff never to win the World cup given the legacy he gave the game not just as a player but later as a manager is a great sporting tragedy. Probably would've won it in 1978 if he hadn't boycotted it aswell.

Denis' cuff

I'd go for Holland in 74. Cruyff never to win the World cup given the legacy he gave the game not just as a player but later as a manager is a great sporting tragedy. Probably would've won it in 1978 if he hadn't boycotted it aswell.
dont recall now, why did he boycott 78 Argentina?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They missed so many chances on the game against Italy: they let the nerves get under their skin. This Wolrd Cup also turned set pieces patterns into a new trend all over the world many thanks to Italy scoring most of the goals directly or indirectly from set pieces.

harms

Staff
dont recall now, why did he boycott 78 Argentina?
He and his family were attacked in their home and held at gunpoint just before the tournament. He decided not to risk it — and the police advised him not to say anything about it to prevent potential copycats. At least that's what he had written in his autobiography, but it's unlikely that anyone would make stuff like this up.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The 2006 Brazil side is up there in terms of best not to win the world cup, in sheer talent not tactics wise (they showed up all fat and unmotivated)

Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Kaka (all more or less in their primes). Some great supporting cast with Ze Roberto, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Juninho, Lucio, Dida etc

thepolice123

One thing that struck me when watching their matches was that their attacking play was fluid but probably too fluid and relied too much on individual players creativity.

I think coming up against a solid Italian defence, what they really needed was a mixture of tactical approach and individual brilliance. Once Italy figured out how to stop them in the second half, it really looked like 11 great players thrown out on the pitch to play football. Italy destroyed them on the counter. It could easily have been 4-2 or 5-2.

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

Don’t disagree although they were unlucky to go out to Argentina in 1990, creating and squandering a load of chances, before being undone by Maradona late on. The 1974 team were an underwhelming and cynical bunch who looked like the rapid European evolution of the game had passed them by. Other than them the last three Brazilian sides have all been fairly solid at the back, 7-1 notwithstanding, but fall sort of the attacking bar set by previous generations.
drew 0-0 with Scotland in 74. Really expected us to qualify from that group but drew all three matches, I think. (+Yugoslav + Zaire?) They got three yellow cards and Scotland none, which is a fair indicator of how it went. I think Denis, near the end of his career came on as a sub but might’ve been another game. All too little too late though. Sad end.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
drew 0-0 with Scotland in 74. Really expected us to qualify from that group but drew all three matches, I think. (+Yugoslav + Zaire?) They got three yellow cards and Scotland none, which is a fair indicator of how it went. I think Denis, near the end of his career came on as a sub but might’ve been another game. All too little too late though. Sad end.
Aye. Yugoslavia were a really good team to be fair, but Brazil only got through because they got to play Zaire last and knew how many they needed. That and Billy's missed chance in the six-yard box. Missed opportunity that one I feel, given the strength of the squad.

harms

Staff
The 2006 Brazil side is up there in terms of best not to win the world cup, in sheer talent not tactics wise (they showed up all fat and unmotivated)

Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Kaka (all more or less in their primes). Some great supporting cast with Ze Roberto, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Juninho, Lucio, Dida etc
Ronaldo was half the player he was at his prime at the time. Or twice the player if you're speaking more literally. Adriano was already on the way down. I'd give you Kaka & Ronaldinho though, should've been a great tournament for them and a chance for Dinho to secure his place among the all-time greats :(

Denis' cuff

Aye. Yugoslavia were a really good team to be fair, but Brazil only got through because they got to play Zaire last and knew how many they needed. That and Billy's missed chance in the six-yard box. Missed opportunity that one I feel, given the strength of the squad.
That’s right. They got the rub of the green with fixture sequence.

fecker would've put it away if he’d had a Leeds shirt on

Decent squad, that. Have to pinch myself to remember that we had even better, before and after.

thepolice123

Ronaldo was half the player he was at his prime at the time. Or twice the player if you're speaking more literally. Adriano was already on the way down. I'd give you Kaka & Ronaldinho though, should've been a great tournament for them and a chance for Dinho to secure his place among the all-time greats :(
Iirc bar the Ghana game they were pretty terrible throughout the tournament. Against France they barely registered a shot on target. Probably still would beat the 2006 England "Golden Generation".

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Great names, but the vast majority well past their best. And the tactics were a bad example of trying to fit too many lazy attackers into the same team.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Great names, but the vast majority well past their best. And the tactics were a bad example of trying to fit too many lazy attackers into the same team.
Vast majority? 2 Ballon D'Ors Kaka and Ronaldinho in their primes. Adriano in his prime, Ronaldo was 29.. The full backs were old, thats it Thats already better than most non-winning world cups teams had.

Xeno

I remember watching a film in school (when they used to wheel the tiny 14" CRT in on a stand) about the Brazil NT, grainy footage from the 70s and such. Still remember every second of it to this day. My teacher was cool af.

Luke1995

People seem to rate the 1970 team more. Probably because Pelé was on it.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
The Brazil 82 team is still my favourite National team.I recall being really excited about that World Cup , really looking forward to it.I had heard a lot about the Brazil side leading up to it and they didn't disappoint.Their games were electrifying, all about skill, flair, entertainment, samba beat in the stadium, beautiful women, smiling faces etc etc.I was broken hearted when they were knocked out.If they had Careca instead of Serginho they would have been unstoppable.Socrates ,Zico, Falcao, Eder and Cerezo were heroes.Simply a beautiful team to watch.