Television Breaking Bad

Jagga7

Easily one of the best shows ever, people who are calling it overrated can go suck a bag of dicks.

Nickosaur

Typical narrow minded fanboism from BB fans. Not everyone has to like, never mind love this show.
I can see why people get annoyed by people calling it overrated though.

It's not overrated, is it? People love it, and that's backed up by critically acclaimed reviews, ratings and awards.

If you don't like it...that doesn't mean it's overrated does it? Just means it's not for you.

edit - @LuisNaniencia we're on the same page here.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

It's not overrated, is it? People love it, and that's backed up by critically acclaimed reviews, ratings and awards.

If you don't like it...that doesn't mean it's overrated does it? Just means it's not for you.

:cool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Typical narrow minded fanboism from BB fans. Not everyone has to like, never mind love this show.
Everyone doesn't have to love it. People can have their preferences. My folks for example don't like depressing/dark topics. But it is clearly one of the best shows ever. The writing, acting, storytelling are all of an absurdly high standard. The acting of Bryan Cranaton on his own, let alone the rest of the cast, ensures the quality of acting on display is phenomenal. These are all ingredients for a show that's going to be hailed as one of the greatest.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think a show can be overrated but still be extremely high quality television. And that's probably how I'd define Breaking Bad. At times I feel the plot got a little silly, and you maybe had to suspend disbelief a little at Walter's rise in the criminal world, but other times the show is near flawless: see almost all of the final season. Ozymandias remains my favourite ever single TV episode to this day, I reckon.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Everyone doesn't have to love it. People can have their preferences. My folks for example don't like depressing/dark topics. But it is clearly one of the best shows ever. The writing, acting, storytelling are all of an absurdly high standard. The acting of Bryan Cranaton on his own, let alone the rest of the cast, ensures the quality of acting on display is phenomenal. These are all ingredients for a show that's going to be hailed as one of the greatest.
Cranston was very good. I truly enjoyed his portrayal of the role and the whole transformation from the insecure teacher to the drug lord and his demise. I enjoyed invidual acting performances more than the show as a whole.

I can call it whatever I want tbh just as I can find it overrated or not, I'll always respect the opinion of those who disagree with mine. It's a matter of taste after all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How do you define overrated? "I don't think it's as good as other people" doesn't really mean it's overrated.
Unless you're suggesting there's an objective, unquestionable, always correct rating of something then that's exactly what it means.

If you think something is of a certain standard and the prevailing opinion from others is that it's better than that standard then in your view it's overrated.

There's no set value for overrated, if there was it would kind of make the word itself redundant.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can call it whatever I want tbh just as I can find it overrated or not, I'll always respect the opinion of those who disagree with mine. It's a matter of taste after all.
You can call it whatever you want, just like people can call you wrong :)

LuisNaniencia

Unless you're suggesting there's an objective, unquestionable, always correct rating of something then that's exactly what it means.

If you think something is of a certain standard and the prevailing opinion from others is that it's better than that standard then in your view it's overrated.

There's no set value for overrated, if there was it would kind of make the word itself redundant.
Overrated to me sounds like a sweeping statement unless you put a "in my opinion" in front of it. Kind of like I'm right but everyone else is wrong. For example I couldn't get into game of thrones, but I would never call it overrated because it would be doing a misjustice to the millions who love it.

All just semantics I suppose!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Overrated to me sounds like a sweeping statement unless you put a "in my opinion" in front of it. Kind of like I'm right but everyone else is wrong. For example I couldn't get into game of thrones, but I would never call it overrated because it would be doing a misjustice to the millions who love it.

By definition it will always be a question of opinion, and speaking as someone who's struggling through into season 6 of GoT I'm very comfortable saying it's overrated, in fact I'd say a lot of it is flat out shit.

:)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Agreed. Difference between it not being your cup of tea and something being objectively bad.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I love GoT but I do agree it is overrated.

You can call it whatever you want, just like people can call you wrong :)
I cannot be wrong technically, since it's a matter of appreciation :angel::wenger:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Christ, wait til she sees the bathtub scene!
"I can't get in the shower without thinking of the bath scene."

Said something similar about her bike lock. You should have seen her during Stranger Things :lol: :rolleyes:

Five episodes in. Next stop, Tuco Salamanca.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"I can't get in the shower without thinking of the bath scene."

Said something similar about her bike lock. You should have seen her during Stranger Things :lol: :rolleyes:

Five episodes in. Next stop, Tuco Salamanca.
And people try and claim season one was slow!

Someone even claimed BB was slower than Better Call Saul!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think Breaking Bad is overrated in that a lot of people call it the best show ever when in reality it's probably top five. I mean it really just does not compare to The Wire or The Sopranos, you could also make a strong case for Mad Men, too. Those three shows simply have far more substance to them. Breaking Bad is really just the ultimate modern spaghetti western as a TV show.

But yeah, it's probably a top five, as in, it's fecking incredible, just the bar for the best TV is so high these days that it's not the best!

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
And people try and claim season one was slow!

Someone even claimed BB was slower than Better Call Saul!
It's the slowest series, but it's certainly not slow. It's all about character building, I'm watching it through for the fourth time now and it still doesn't get old.

Massive Spanner

It's the slowest series, but it's certainly not slow. It's all about character building, I'm watching it through for the fourth time now and it still doesn't get old.
No way, season two is slower (and has the worst plot in the show with those stupid planes), and parts of season four are ridiculously slow (it's mostly saved by the brilliant last 2-3 episodes). Season one is actually really fast paced compared to a lot of the rest of the show, I've no idea why it has a rep for being slow, maybe because there's only seven episodes?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No way, season two is slower (and has the worst plot in the show with those stupid planes), and parts of season four are ridiculously slow (it's mostly saved by the brilliant last 2-3 episodes). Season one is actually really fast paced compared to a lot of the rest of the show, I've no idea why it has a rep for being slow, maybe because there's only seven episodes?
Yea I agree with this, season one was brilliant and full of big plot points.

The flash forwards and all the shit with the planes in season two and the reactions to the crash in season three were really daft and slow at times.

I felt like the show really took off and went from excellent to great once Saul, Gus and Mike became involved.

LuisNaniencia

By definition it will always be a question of opinion, and speaking as someone who's struggling through into season 6 of GoT I'm very comfortable saying it's overrated, in fact I'd say a lot of it is flat out shit.

:)
:lol: I admire your perseverance. I gave up after season 1, there's just too many shows out there to waste time on something that's not your thing.

Massive Spanner

The flash forwards and all the shit with the planes in season two and the reactions to the crash in season three were really daft and slow at times.

I felt like the show really took off and went from excellent to great once Saul, Gus and Mike became involved.
I agree, but, uh .. is great better than excellent? :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: I admire your perseverance. I gave up after season 1, there's just too many shows out there to waste time on something that's not your thing.
I'm a bugger for having to finish something once I've invested time into it. If I'd sacked it off before finishing a season I'd have been ok but I can't stop now.

The only show I can think of where I've given up after a long time is Suits. God that got bad.

Skills

Snitch

Season 1 has the best replay value. I've watched it 3 times I think, and it's been a great watch every single time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I asked my brother in law of he'd seen breaking bad, he said he'd never even heard of it! Bankers eh!?

fellaini's barber

This, it's like girls complaining that soccer is overrated and don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not your thing, stick to Telemundo and move on

Last edited:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

jungledrums

Brilliant show, stands with Mad Men in that second tier of genius below The Wire and Sopranos. Can’t wait to read the interview!

GBBQ

Great read! For me it's the best TV show of all time. Nothing I have watched has come close to the roller coaster of emotions it brings you through and the addiction of wanting to keep watching more
Agreed. I mean i loved The Wire and can appreciate that its a more meaningful undertaking than Breaking Bad but I still feel that BB is my clear favourite.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really good read that. Explains how 'The Fly' episode came about and you've got to laugh at this from Aaron Paul

I was out for dinner last night, and someone just came right up to me screaming, "Science, bitch!" I get called "bitch" every single day. I have been called "bitch" more than anyone on the planet, and that is very exciting. I'm very proud of that fact.
:lol:

ZAGREB RED

I think the whole basic premise of the show is quite ingenious, the interaction between Walt and Jesse is a big part of the show's appeal but it covers about every emotion possible over its course. They also knew when to stop instead of just carrying on churning out series after series. I still think The Sopranos and The Wire edge it, but only just.
Only dud episode is The Fly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Great read. I really loved everything about Breaking Bad, to the point where I became blind to some of the valid criticisms people were bringing up. Yes Jayne's father being the air traffic controller who brings the plane down is pretty fecking contrived, yes Gus is the main villain (minus Walt I suppose) in the show and the Nazis are small beer in comparison, yes the fly was an obvious cheapy due to lack of budget but I didn't care. That's how I know how great the show was for me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Really should give it another go. The first season is very hit-and-miss with most people, but definitely worth going through it all.
I'll get around to it eventually, just far too much great TV to choose from.

Moiraine

Brilliant show, stands with Mad Men in that second tier of genius below The Wire and Sopranos. Can’t wait to read the interview!
You wire fans are just unbelievable. This show is the best ever to grace the television, only matched by Game of Thrones. And the world is so grateful for some collective review and ratings on the sites like IMDB that actually shows the ratings calculated by fans/critics all over the world. No wonder the wire is way below Breaking Bad where it belongs.