Television Breaking Bad

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I just go into it now expecting it to be crap. I've avoided everything about it because I like watching things without any expectation.
It’s not crap. If you enjoyed breaking bad you’ll find it entertaining.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ozymandias is still the only episode of TV rated 10/10 on IMDB.

Random bump, I know, but the GoT thread made me curious so just looked at individual episode rankings.

Woodzy

I just binged this entire thing during a week off work.

Incredible really. Season 2 the lowest point which in itself was still decent.

Began to despise Walter towards the end, which i'm guessing was the intention.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Wow :lol: Did you watch whilst shitting, cooking and sleeping?

Best get watching Better Call Saul then. It’s a slower burn, but just as brilliant.

Woodzy

Wow :lol: Did you watch whilst shitting, cooking and sleeping?
Haha, honestly not that bad. Average 13 episodes a season, so that's roughly 65 hours over the course of 7 days (plus a little from the weekend before I think).

Best get watching Better Call Saul then. It’s a slower burn, but just as brilliant.
That's a bit much mind. Might have to wait until my next week off! I'll probably watch the movie this week though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah I'm currently rewatching it too. I can't think think of a better acting performance than Cranston's portrayal of Walter White. Incredible.

OleBoiii

Haha, honestly not that bad. Average 13 episodes a season, so that's roughly 65 hours over the course of 7 days (plus a little from the weekend before I think).
That's still more than 9 hours a day :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
just started rewatching it for the first time this year, Id forgotten how badass walter gets.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
For any budding writers out there - or anyone who's just mildly interested - here's a link to the screenplay of the pilot. It's a great example of just how perfect the writing often was on BB.

pilot

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
For any budding writers out there - or anyone who's just mildly interested - here's a link to the screenplay of the pilot. It's a great example of just how perfect the writing often was on BB.

pilot
Funny how it started off set in California. I think it was so much better in New Mexico.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I get that a lot. I found the tension of the beginnings a lot more believable, and when they end up in Tuco's house at gunpoint felt a lot more real than when Walt is
poisoning children or watching people die
. It was better when Walt was still human instead of what he becomes as the show progresses.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Funny how it started off set in California. I think it was so much better in New Mexico.
Yeah, the climate suited it and being closer to the cartels also made more sense. Was a good move.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I get that a lot. I found the tension of the beginnings a lot more believable, and when they end up in Tuco's house at gunpoint felt a lot more real than when Walt is
poisoning children or watching people die
. It was better when Walt was still human instead of what he becomes as the show progresses.
But that was always the central thesis of the show. Gilligan wanted to turn Mr Chips into Scarface. I don't think Walt's transformation was too quick at all but Breaking bad was always more pulpy drama as compared to Sopranos.

OleBoiii

It was better when Walt was still human instead of what he becomes as the show progresses.
Have you read any human history? There's nothing unbelievable or inhuman about the lengths in which Walt is willing to go to protect his business and pride. I think the whole point of the series is to show what a man is capable of doing once he finally feels alive. If Walt as a character and the depth of his struggles had remained the same as in season 1, then it would have been a very bland TV show. It would also have to be much shorter and the ending would have to be completely different.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Walt's transformation was perfect in my opinion.

The first two seasons I was desperate for him to go full gangster, and by the end of season 4 I despised him.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Spoilers in here for Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones...

Will be going back through this again one day soon, just not sure when. Maybe in the new year. I watched it through on my own back in 2012 when season 5 was about to air, so I was caught up by the time the final, final stretch was ready. Have since watched it through twice over the years, but the last time was maybe in 2014? Maybe 2015? I seem to remember thinking season 1 was a bit underrated - but first seasons sometimes are, especially in shows that increase in popularity as they go along (like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Hannibal, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Agents of Shield, etc.).

From memory, the only stretch where I wondered if it had lost something was the end of season 2/beginning of season 3. The plane crash was really silly, and the aftermath made for some pretty unusual moments. But, with hindsight, I can forgive that a little bit. Jane's death brought to an end the first major chapter of the show, and Gus' introduction hinted at a new one being opened. Even the very best shows can be slow to start again in similar circumstances (see: Sopranos after Pussy's death, Mad Men after Don & Betty's divorce, GoT after Tywin's death). Once season 3 is under way, I'm not sure it ever drops in quality again.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Spoilers in here for Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones...

Will be going back through this again one day soon, just not sure when. Maybe in the new year. I watched it through on my own back in 2012 when season 5 was about to air, so I was caught up by the time the final, final stretch was ready. Have since watched it through twice over the years, but the last time was maybe in 2014? Maybe 2015? I seem to remember thinking season 1 was a bit underrated - but first seasons sometimes are, especially in shows that increase in popularity as they go along (like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Hannibal, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Agents of Shield, etc.).

From memory, the only stretch where I wondered if it had lost something was the end of season 2/beginning of season 3. The plane crash was really silly, and the aftermath made for some pretty unusual moments. But, with hindsight, I can forgive that a little bit. Jane's death brought to an end the first major chapter of the show, and Gus' introduction hinted at a new one being opened. Even the very best shows can be slow to start again in similar circumstances (see: Sopranos after Pussy's death, Mad Men after Don & Betty's divorce, GoT after Tywin's death). Once season 3 is under way, I'm not sure it ever drops in quality again.
Agree with that.I haven’t watched it since it aired but my recollection of that part is pretty much the same. Just felt off thematically. Still adore the show of course

saivet

Not been able to find a new show to watch so I've started rewatching it for the third time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rewatching this, currently on S02E12:

Jane's death:

I think I have changed my opinion on Walt until end of season two, I don't think Walter is the worst person in the world watching it for second time and up to this point of course, even after letting Jane die. At this point she is literally ruining Jesse's life(he wasn't using heroin until she showed him), and she is acting like the money is hers and saying how she will use it to spend it on whatever she wants it, while Jesse is still suspicious and ask her whether Walt is right about not giving him back the money, because they are partners and all that, but she doesn't even listen to him. Jesse knows her just for few weeks(months at best?), and she acts like the money is something they've earned together, etc., when just few days ago she didn't even want her dad to meet Jesse.

Except the love part(does he even has feelings for Jesse or is it just the drugs?), Jane is probably the worst thing that has happened to Jesse so far, so Walt letting her die is probably even good thing for Jesse at that point in the show.