Glazers looking to sell off a minority share & bring in a new Investor

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
With the potential arrival of Antony for £80m
coupled with Casemiro £60m, Martinez £50m
Malacia £15 that’s £205m less Perriera £10m, so just shy ish of £200m spent in one window, I could be wrong but I can’t remember the Glazers sanctioning a spend like this in 1 window.

We’d gone from Arnautovic and Rabiot for what £20m tops to Casemiro and possibly Antony for nearly £180m if reports are accurate, just after the news of a partial sell off and Ratcliffe interest.

I guess I’m clutching and reading too much into this but could the increase in transfer spend and potential sale be related? as in the Glazers thinking let’s spend now because it won’t be are problem soon?
You think? No one's ever made the point before...

It's clear the rats are worried the ship is sinking but are nowhere near ready to jump. The United fanbase that is not clueless on this need to make sure they do.

Coops73

You think? No one's ever made the point before...

It's clear the rats are worried the ship is sinking but are nowhere near ready to jump. The United fanbase that is not clueless on this need to make sure they do.
What’s with the fecking sarcasm? It’s just a question and I wondered if there was a view on it.

Coops73

it might be connected but I doubt it’s because they think it won’t be a problem soon

more likely they fear we’ll miss out on UCL which impacts the selling price

Finishing mid table would be a disaster for any negotiations
Yeah, you’re probably right. Like I said, I’m probably just clutching but let’s hope there is an element of truth to the theory.

Rightnr

What’s with the fecking sarcasm? It’s just a question and I wondered if there was a view on it.
If you've read a couple of pages from the threads on Glazers out, you'd know your view is basically the main stream.

If you didn't read anything and don't disclose, don't get annoyed when someone makes a bit of a joke out of it.

Coops73

If you've read a couple of pages from the threads on Glazers out, you'd know your view is basically the main stream.

If you didn't read anything and don't disclose, don't get annoyed when someone makes a bit of a joke out of it.
I haven’t trawled through the thread and I haven’t seen anyone else mention it though I’m not stupid enough to think I’m the only one who would of mentioned it.

You call it a joke, I call it it trying to make someone look like a cnut.

Rightnr

I haven’t trawled through the thread and I haven’t seen anyone else mention it though I’m not stupid enough to think I’m the only one who would of mentioned it.

You call it a joke, I call it it trying to make someone look like a cnut.
Whatever. If you came in a transfer thread 50 pages in and started posting 'insights' from two weeks ago, do you expect not to be laughed at?

Coops73

Whatever. If you came in a transfer thread 50 pages in and started posting 'insights' from two weeks ago, do you expect not to be laughed at?
No, a simple “this has been mentioned before” etc but I suppose there’ll always be the smart posters around who try and belittle others from behind a keyboard, I guess they gotta get their kicks somehow.

JohnnyKills

Even if the Glazers withstand the current maelstrom, there's no way they'll retain control long-term.

Think about the big picture: do we really think they can take a community institution, beloved by billions of people, and turn it into a family asset against the will of practically everybody?

Sorry, that's just not sustainable.

Eventually one of two things will happen:

1. The fans become so bored of mediocrity that they decide to stop going to games and buying merch, causing the valuation to plummet.
2. Someone who sees the potential of the club comes along with an offer the owners can't refuse.

It might not be this year or even next year, but it will happen.

Traub

Even if the Glazers withstand the current maelstrom, there's no way they'll retain control long-term.

Think about the big picture: do we really think they can take a community institution, beloved by billions of people, and turn it into a family asset against the will of practically everybody?

Sorry, that's just not sustainable.

Eventually one of two things will happen:

1. The fans become so bored of mediocrity that they decide to stop going to games and buying merch, causing the valuation to plummet.
2. Someone who sees the potential of the club comes along with an offer the owners can't refuse.

It might not be this year or even next year, but it will happen.
The second one won't happen - the Glazers have already maximised the return of United. Any new owner will need to invest heavily with the only upside winning some prize money. The cost of the purchase won't be offset by winning league titles and champions leagues. The only way to significantly improve returns is to come up with new revenue streams: super league, games abroad, change in TV deal structures (e.g. individual club streaming). And if any of those are on the cards, the Glazers are not going to miss the opportunity to be involved.

So it leaves us with 1 above, basically we will need to become very very very shit before they will sell. And even then, look how Ashley held on to Newcastle after relegation.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There should be protests at every home game
I know there is another march planned for the Arsenal game but you have to wonder if we go on a run this season and we're winning a lot of games do the protests lose momentum? I don't think they will ever fully go away now, there's been too much damage done. There's going to be a section of the fanbase that will always protest against them no matter how well we do on the pitch but I doubt we see the numbers we saw on Monday again if we're back in the top four and win silverware this season.

JohnnyKills

The second one won't happen - the Glazers have already maximised the return of United. Any new owner will need to invest heavily with the only upside winning some prize money. The cost of the purchase won't be offset by winning league titles and champions leagues. The only way to significantly improve returns is to come up with new revenue streams: super league, games abroad, change in TV deal structures (e.g. individual club streaming). And if any of those are on the cards, the Glazers are not going to miss the opportunity to be involved.

So it leaves us with 1 above, basically we will need to become very very very shit before they will sell. And even then, look how Ashley held on to Newcastle after relegation.
Would take issue on both counts tbh.

1. There are loads of billionaires who would buy us for either the commercial tie-ups or the sheer prestige. And the only real investment needed is the stadium - otherwise the finances run themselves.
2. The Glazers aren't bothered about how good we are, the only thing they care about is money. And fans will start to turn away long before we become truly crap.

Ash86

Since when? Or are you just spouting?
Since last year.
Check out our financial reports. We are bleeding money as it is, our operating cash flow, basically the ability to earn money for transfers and other investments is down last year based on three quarters. And it probably will be even worse this year without Champions League. It is not enough for proper investment as well.

We already borrowed 100 mil to shore up our cash reserves. We have substantial transfer debt as well. We also pay interest of course and it's in dollars as well as the loans themselves and our revenue is more in euros and pounds that are declining of course.

So yeah, new loans are the only way the club can spend right now. We can take another 100 mil no problem, under the current cheap credit facility, but after that...
Given the current rate and the trend it's going it will be extremely expensive. I would not even rule out that we could be in breach of several loan covenants if we won't manage to get CL football next year. For example the Adidas will decline, we will need to invest more etc, etc.
It's not a financial disaster yet, but it is far from being the solid foundation it was 3-4 years ago. And COVID honestly not the main reason for that decline.

Ema_datsi

I would not even rule out that we could be in breach of several loan covenants if we won't manage to get CL football next year.
This is one thing that our fans don’t seem to realize. By stifling revenues we can cause a lot of problems for the Glazers with the debt holders and impact their dividends.

stw2022

It was a mistake for the campaign to focus so much on the 'debt means we're broke' narrative as it was too easily undermind by he Club evidencing in the transfer market that this wasn't the case and people spouting it just ended up looking silly and that's part of the reason why the bulk of fans stopped listening.

"Okay I know I've said every year for the past six that we're broke and then we end up breaking the transfer record - and I know I've given this same assurance for the last five years - BUT THIS TIME WE'RE REALLY BROKE"

It's easily one of the worst executed campaigns in history and arguably the best example of how to turn passionate support into near complete apathy in a relatively short space of time. Lies were told about the reality of the financial situation and Glazers benefitted not from fans supporting them but by fans disliking the campaign openly lying to their face when it wasn't necessary - they already had their support. Exaggeration want necessary yet each year the hyperbole got worse and more detached from reality

Going forward for any action to be effective and to bring the fans along these lessons need to be learnt

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Since last year.
Check out our financial reports. We are bleeding money as it is, our operating cash flow, basically the ability to earn money for transfers and other investments is down last year based on three quarters. And it probably will be even worse this year without Champions League. It is not enough for proper investment as well.

We already borrowed 100 mil to shore up our cash reserves. We have substantial transfer debt as well. We also pay interest of course and it's in dollars as well as the loans themselves and our revenue is more in euros and pounds that are declining of course.

So yeah, new loans are the only way the club can spend right now. We can take another 100 mil no problem, under the current cheap credit facility, but after that...
Given the current rate and the trend it's going it will be extremely expensive. I would not even rule out that we could be in breach of several loan covenants if we won't manage to get CL football next year. For example the Adidas will decline, we will need to invest more etc, etc.
It's not a financial disaster yet, but it is far from being the solid foundation it was 3-4 years ago. And COVID honestly not the main reason for that decline.
At some point, banks will simply stop giving the Glazers any more loans because they are simply incapable of repaying the money. Whatever bank(s) has (have) become the club's creditor(s) can and should take the Glazers to court and force the sale.

Here is the summary on Wikipedia about what happened with Liverpool in 2010.

The club was sold to Fenway Sports Group during the 2010–11 season. Accounts had shown that Liverpool were £350 million in debt with losses of £55 million, causing auditor KPMG to qualify its audit opinion.The Royal Bank of Scotland who were the club's creditors, took owners Gillett and Hicks to court to force through a sale. The court ruled in the creditors' favour and the club was sold to Fenway Sports Group for £300 million on 15 October 2010.
The question is whether or not we have to wait until the bank(s) put the Glazers' indebtedness into the toxic debt category before something happens. I hope we don't have to wait for things to get this bad before those leeches leave once and for all, but there will come a day when the creditor(s) will have had enough with the Glazers' financial shitness.

Alonzo

At some point, banks will simply stop giving the Glazers any more loans because they are simply incapable of repaying the money. Whatever bank(s) has (have) become the club's creditor(s) can and should take the Glazers to court and force the sale.

Here is the summary on Wikipedia about what happened with Liverpool in 2010.

The question is whether or not we have to wait until the bank(s) put the Glazers' indebtedness into the toxic debt category before something happens. I hope we don't have to wait for things to get this bad before those leeches leave once and for all, but there will come a day when the creditor(s) will have had enough with the Glazers' financial shitness.
“And, finally, when there's nothing left, when you can't borrow another buck from the bank or buy another case of booze, you bust the joint out. You light a match.”

The parallels between these rats and Goodfellas is uncanny.

SAF is the GOAT

You can have your opinions on them but in this case I choose to believe the Muppetiers.

I've never even said the word "hate" in my lifetime but I bloody hate Joel Glazer.

In this video you could find out how Joel does with the club what ever he wants in the summer of 2020(And maybe It will give you some clue to this transfer window)

Run it to 28:19