Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Good move for him. Very good manager. My bet is he wanted some backing in regards to transfers before the European campaign and he got feck all.. The celtic board don't mind getting knocked out early on in Europe as long as they keep the money coming in and winning leagues why would they bother investing?

GBBQ

Don't know how the timing is bad as a lot are saying? Leicester are as probably as good a second tier club (outside the top 6) as there is. Good structure, decent squad. These chances dont come around too often so he had to go for it.

I thought when Celtic sold Dembele that the writing would be on the wall for Rogers. You can walk all the leagues you want but taking away his fire power for Europe means he was at nothing.

Minimalist

Must not think much of winning a triple treble in terms of reputation from it (and he’s probably right there).

Interested to see how he does in the PL again. Always thought he comes across as a top coach but woeful man manager at the top level.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The proof is in the pudding, why do you think B-Rod jumped ship despite Celtic fans thinking the idea ludicrous?
More €€€ available for shaping his own team, and more €€€ in his own pocket. Very few employees would hesitate if they receive such an offer, and it isn't different in the football world.

Pep jumped from Bayern to City and they are nowhere near as big as Bayern for example.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rangers aren't that far off Celtic, Rodgers leaving now could well open the door for Slippy G to win the league title in his first season as a manager

Minimalist

Rangers aren't that far off Celtic, Rodgers leaving now could well open the door for Slippy G to win the league title in his first season as a manager
Then Klopp fails to win the title. Liverpool fans call for Gerrard to take over...

*rubs hands*

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They are richer and have bigger global appeal than Celtic, 3 x as many social media followers etc.
That's actually quite surprising. I'd always had this assumption Celtic had quite a large global following. That certainly seems to be something that their fans suggest is the case.

I was surprised to see that Leicester tower over them significantly on all social media fronts.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Didn't know he won 2 domestic trebles in last 2 seasons and had chance to win third domestic treble.

So since he took over, no other Scottish team has won a trophy.
He's done a good job but it helps that the second horse in the two horse race has been running on 3 legs.

Camilo

This would be a great move for him and Leicester. They've got a lot of talent in that team, and Rodgers is a proven good coach. Came a lot closer to a title with Liverpool than Klopp has so far..

Obviously I hope it all goes tits up but ultimately if it strengthens the league I'm all for it. More exciting games the better. I've zero interest in us winning an easy title!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's done a good job but it helps that the second horse in the two horse race has been running on 3 legs.
Yeah, they are by far the best in the league. I found it impressive as 1 slip up in cup competition means they are out.

Castia

Would be a good appointment for Leicester.

He plays attacking football and whilst he might come across a bit of a cnut he's a decent manager.

Member 115509

I think the fact that he wasn't fully backed by the Celtic board to bring in the players he wanted plus the recent events with coin throwing and sectarian behaviour rearing its head again probably pushed him to leave and take this job. Going back to England was always going to be his aim really.
The fact that he was willing to leave when Celtic are aiming for a Treble Treble probably underlines how disillusioned he has become in Scotland. He seemed to have lost a bit of enthusiasm for the job, the way Dembele left and no replacement was brought in is likely another factor.

Reactions: Ødegaard
He's done well since he's been there but I dont think anyone could blame Rodgers for taking up this challenging role at Leicester.
After time the noncompetitive nature of Scottish football tends to dawn on most Celtic/Rangers managers.After you've won the league at a canter,yet get continually knocked out of the European cups, and other domestic titles you'll start to have dreams of atleast some sort of challenging aspect in your job.Even Lennon got bored yet since he left he's achieved very little yet he may consider himself all the better for leaving Celtic because the reality of the situation was just far too comfortable for him up there.
Then you have someone like Ronny Deila ,who by all accounts was abit of a disaster up there,and even he walked away with 2 SPL titles and domestic cup.

The SPL is not good enough to keep hold of good managers/players who want to achieve something.

Classical Mechanic

More €€€ available for shaping his own team, and more €€€ in his own pocket. Very few employees would hesitate if they receive such an offer, and it isn't different in the football world.

Pep jumped from Bayern to City and they are nowhere near as big as Bayern for example.
City got Guardiola because they planned to get him for years. They shaped their club with the aim of bringing him in, laid out the red carpet for him. Pep had many conflicts Bayern and Barca with the hierarchy, he doesn't get that at City which is why he'll probably stay there longer than any club he's been at previously.

That's actually quite surprising. I'd always had this assumption Celtic had quite a large global following. That certainly seems to be something that their fans suggest is the case.
There was a study done many years ago that the Celtic fans like to quote that claimed they had massive global reach because of the catholic thing primarily. The dawn of social media proved that to be false. Its the best metric available for true reach, something that Woody likes to quote in his addresses to shareholders.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
If he wants to leave at the end of the season fine, but to do it now, what a joke. Ridiculous and quite frankly disrespectful for the fans.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If he wants to leave at the end of the season fine, but to do it now, what a joke. Ridiculous and quite frankly disrespectful for the fans.
So he'd have to say no to Leicester, who wouldn't want to be without a manager for the rest of the season, so they hire someone else and he misses an excellent chance to go back to the Premier League?

No way.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Kind of a dickhead move from him to leave before the end of the season during a title race.

Shows how much he cares more for the PL and holds it in far higher regard than the SPL though.

deadrevelz

I'm thankful for everything he done here but to walk out on us with 2 months of the season left is a cnut move no matter what way you look at it.
Yeah you would think Leicester could get an interim manager in until the end of the season. I doubt they are going to get relegated and they're not getting European football, so it doesn't seem urgent. Maybe they told Brendan they would look elsewhere unless he came immediately.

RasTiaGba

From someone who is sympathetic to Rangers this will be good news for them

He's done well and always played attacking football consistent enough to win the league every season

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
My manager at work who is a huge Celtic fan is fuming over this.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

A few in denial. Can definitely see him leaving mid-season. Opportunity to go to one of the best teams outside of the top 6 doesn't happen often, and like it or not, they have more money to spend than Celtic do and will give Rodgers a higher wage.

Will be interesting if Tierney leaves in the near future. Huge Celtic fan, has worn the captain's armband and people have gone on about how he'll be around for 10 leagues in a row. Reaction if he leaves would dwarf Rodgers going.

steakpie

He will probably sign Callum McGregor in the summer who''s a very good player.

Personally, I think it is a bit lame to walk out on Celtic now. He should have waited until the summer after completing a treble treble, although 7 out of 7 domestic trophies is an incredible record. The style of play has also been very good. He's a good manager but nothing special, makes some shocking signings.

T_Model101

Which Leicester players are going to let him down?
Who's names are going to be in those envelopes?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Also the timing absolutely makes sense from Rodgers and the Leicester view point. Rodgers is given a few months to assess the squad and organise who are the weak and strong links in the team for the summer window and Leicester get time to settle and come to terms with a new manager. The type of football which they both are expected to play match each other.

Timing in terms of Celtic isn't that bad either, they have a comfortable gap in the league and they aren't in Europe anymore. He's left them in a decent position to win the league and the cups.

Djemba-Djemba

For all the fact he's hilarious and a real life David Brent in many ways I do think he's actually a good manager. He almost won the League with Liverpool on an absolute fraction of the budget Klopp has had.

Now the next season he did spend a lot of money and they were shite but that's a different situation.

He'll probably do well at Leicester, I can image it's boring as feck after a while in Scottish football.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He'll go alright. The Celtic fans won't forget it, though. They can hold a grudge.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think he will be very good appointment for Leicester. They have good team and few very good young players.

They have Vardy, Chilwell, Maguire, Pereira, Ndidi, Maddison, Gray, Evans who are all good players.

Will be interesting to see how he sets up the team.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He'll still get a medal if they win.

Chance to move to a bigger club and get paid more. Not a hard choice for him.
He’s won a bunch of trebles. Winning trophies there is a walkover another league title is worth absolutely nothing.