Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

432JuanMata

given the way you're playing we should be 6 points further apart then we are, we completely messed it up at your place
Didn’t mean it that way I mean start of the season you wouldn’t put use 10 points clear of Us after 11 games. The point I’m making is you’s have a top manager and we have one of the worst in the PL

Classical Mechanic

He had a poor year under LvG like many others but he's arguably more proven at the top level than Maguire is and has been better for Leicester than Maguire was and is better than Maguire so far this season so really.. what's so outlandish about what I said considering Maguire has been largely underwhelming since he came here himself?
He wasn’t better for Leicester than Maguire was, Maguire in his first season was Leicester’s best player and won all their player awards. Maguire hasn’t been largely underwhelming in my opinion either, he’s been average to good. If you really think Evans would come back here and do a better job in these circumstances then I think you’re deluding yourself.

Acole9

Outstanding
I mean that's just not true and plenty of people didn't want Evans sold. He showed plenty of signs of being good enough for us and there's nothing to suggest Evans at 29 years old would've "crumbled" like you say he did when he was here when he was younger.

No, VVD's an excellent center back. Laporte's an excellent center back. Maguire's... good, a minor, incredibly expensive upgrade on what we already had.
It is true, he got found out once Ferdinand and Vidic left. He's really not all that, I don't think we can have any regrets at all about selling him.

Welbeckham

United without De Gea and Pogba is just relegation quality. Would prefer Leicester squad.
We’d be better of without De Gea. His cowardness, lack of leadership and poor distribution are huge problems for us, never should’ve gotten a new contract.

But yes, Leicester do have a better squad than us, because our signings have been mostly horrible for last six years. And in Blind, Evans, Smalling and Herrera, we’ve quite voluntarily let go of four players that would easily start for us, or Leicester for that matter.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
He wasn’t better for Leicester than Maguire was, Maguire in his first season was Leicester’s best player and won all their player awards. Maguire hasn’t been largely underwhelming in my opinion either, he’s been average to good. If you really think Evans would come back here and do a better job in these circumstances then I think you’re deluding yourself.
probably because in Maguire's first season with us Evans was playing for WBA

Welbeckham

It is true, he got found out once Ferdinand and Vidic left. He's really not all that, I don't think we can have any regrets at all about selling him.
We should have plenty of regrets about selling Evans, Blind and Smalling (soon), if Victor Lindelöf is our starting CB, because all three are better than him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He has most definitely been underwhelming considering what we paid for him. He's nowhere near the level of defender you would expect for a world record fee.

I don't know if Evans would do a better job but I do think that the Leicester fans on here who said he was the better defender of the two last season are right. Maguire however is younger and will hopefully still improve and become better for us. Oh and Evans wasn't playing for Leicester the season Maguire won POTY

Coxy

We’d be better of without De Gea. His cowardness, lack of leadership and poor distribution are huge problems for us, never should’ve gotten a new contract.

But yes, Leicester do have a better squad than us, because our signings have been mostly horrible for last six years. And in Blind, Evans, Smalling and Herrera, we’ve quite voluntarily let go of four players that would easily start for us, or Leicester for that matter.
Never should have got a new contract?

How expensive do you think it is to replace a player of his calibre??

Acole9

Outstanding
We should have plenty of regrets about selling Evans, Blind and Smalling (soon), if Victor Lindelöf is our starting CB, because all three are better than him.
With Evans and Lindelöf it really depends on who is playing alongside them. If they both had players of the same level or less than them they look bang average.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Wow, he’s really transformed that Leicester side. He even seems to have improved them defensively which is quite a feat considering defensive coaching was always seen as his weakness.
Again today 2-0 win against palace, now less goals conceded than Liverpool.

Classical Mechanic

probably because in Maguire's first season with us Evans was playing for WBA
That has nothing to do with my point. Maguire’s first season for Leicester was excellent and he was your best player. His form dropped last year and it’s fair to say that Evans was better but Maguire has a higher ceiling in my opinion. We also know that Evans’s form went down the toilet when he was asked to be the leader of our defence. He actually went from being hyped in the press as LVG’s number 1 centre back at the start of the season to being sold by the end of it he was so bad.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
That has nothing to do with my point. Maguire’s first season for Leicester was excellent and he was your best player. His form dropped last year and it’s fair to say that Evans was better but Maguire has a higher ceiling in my opinion. We also know that Evans’s form went down the toilet when he was asked to be the leader of our defence. He actually went from being hyped in the press as LVG’s number 1 centre back at the start of the season to being sold by the end of it he was so bad.
well Evans is the undisputed leader of our defence

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Because you have a good manager and they make players better ?
we do but that has no relevance to the issues Classical said Evans had with you, the improvement in Demarai Gray for example is a great example of Rodgers' coaching in action

Classical Mechanic

well Evans is the undisputed leader of our defence
It’s a different psychological position playing for a team like Leicester than it is for United. The exposure and expectation is completely different. Leicester have a privilege of being underdogs which puts them in the position of having nothing to lose. At United players are absolutely slaughtered for every match lost and the expectation is the weight of our storied history.

That said, we are getting to a point where we have been so crap for so long that we are might be considered a mid table team and Champions League underdogs now so maybe Evans would be happy here now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He really isn't but whatever you think.

I said at the time we were linked with him that he was a marginal upgrade at the very best on Smalling and nothing I've seen from him since has changed that. Maybe he'll improve and I'll be wrong, I hope so.
Yeah no worries, agree to disagree and all that. I’ve got a soft spot for him as a hull city regular where he was a massive fan favourite, so I’d love him to do well at United

Welbeckham

Never should have got a new contract?

How expensive do you think it is to replace a player of his calibre??
The thing is, I don’t think he is anywhere near as good as most of people seem to think. So short term, I would’ve been happy with Romero or Henderson, as mad as it might sound.

This is getting completely off topic though. As for Rodgers, he has been underrated for many years, did very good work at Swansea and Pool. Interesting to see how he does for Leicester in a longer run, looks very promising currently.

dove

ok Lingard Rashford and co are all World class, we really should win every game 5-0.
Never said that. But when you see a team which improved as significantly as Leicester having Evans as a centre back (was not good enough for us) while losing their main man (Maguire) but still managing to play some good football and win games, poor squad excuse often used to excuse Ole is just ridiculous.

ash_86

Leicester have a good squad and combined with no midweek games they are able to keep their talented squad fresh and get the results. Their fist 11 is top 6 quality so when you get to keep the squad fresh and play 1 game a week you get results. I don't see anything fascinating in Rodgers TBH. The team that faced us this season showed that much considering we ourselves are in a ditch.

redIndianDevil

Genuine question, if we sacked Solskjaer and replaced him with Rodgers, would we be in the top four at the end of the season with our squad? I can see why people want Solskjaer out, but I do worry if we get a new manager in and don’t change the set up he has to work with we won’t be massively better off.
This season should be a write off, we cannot expect anything from this season from any manager. Doesn't mean we should keep Ole, the faster he is out the better, we have to identify a correct coach and give him this entire season to setup something to work for next season.

marktan

If they had better wide forwards than Barnes and Perez they'd be able to compete for the league, because the rest of the squad is very good.

Two top attacking fullbacks and a strong technical midfield in particular that's caused them to step up this season.

I don't know how many of the first 11 Rodgers has signed though, but whoever's in charge of recruitment has done a good job. If we had their two full backs we'd be a lot better as a team for example.

redIndianDevil

What a silly post regarding De Gea. What do you mean by cowardice? And what the feck's the goalkeeper supposed to do when our entire team is so pathetically coached? His distribution might be poor but we won't suddenly be playing like City or Liverpool if De Gea magically became good at distribution overnight,

Asger

Never said that. But when you see a team which improved as significantly as Leicester having Evans as a centre back (was not good enough for us) while losing their main man (Maguire) but still managing to play some good football and win games, poor squad excuse often used to excuse Ole is just ridiculous.
For me I don’t see Maguire much better than Evans. At least far from much better compared to the price. So many fans overrate especially English players that play for their country. You can play well for your country but at same time average for their teams.

Good example of this is my one country Iceland.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I really would like to know who in our starting 11 would get in Leicester starting 11. You can not name De Gea and Pogba.
Apart from the obvious two, definitely Martial on the left wing. Other than them I'd struggle, in all fairness, to see who I would swap from your starting XI.

Wayne's World

I know people keep mentioning his Liverpool connection but we have to remember one of the most influential figures this club has ever had was an ex Liverpool player....Sir Matt Busby

I think right now he's right up there with Poch, Marco Rose and Nagelsmann as serious contender for the job. As a person, I have never liked him but one thing I'll give him huge credit for is that he can coach a team within months to play exciting attacking football and a style that I can see he's trying to implement at the club.

Ole has been here for months and I still can't see what's he's trying to do while Rodgers has everything down to a tee so far with Leicester and has financial backing in front of him too. I feel dirty for saying this but I'd love to see him as manager of the club.

pascell

Have you looked at our squad? The only thing I criticize Ole with was his summer transfer window either thinking or allowing to be told 3 transfers was enough. He also could make better sub decisions. Apart from that he is about bang on with a young inconsistent squad that's been without its 2 best outfield players for most of the season.

The difference between supporters like me and those with the patience of spoiled toddlers is that I am looking at the big picture. I can see how badly the club is run, I can see how the lack of recruitment direction has got us in this mess. I can see that we really don't have all that much money to spend when you consider our previous window net spends. If and when Ole goes it's not going to change that much if a new manager comes in.

I don't believe the Woodward spiel about how they have figured out recruitment. Maguire best CB available in PL and AWB is a no brainer leaving Dan James as a probable fluke.

I will back Ole because I want him to succeed despite all this. I wont be a fairweather pessimistic plastic online fan who gets his fanny in a twist everytime we ship a goal or everytime Liverpool win.
When you strip it all back and look at how the team shape and how we perform, do you think Ole is good enough tactically? I'm dubious about how tactically astute he is, simply due to there not being a Plan B to swing the game back in our favour, when an opposition manager switches tactics to counter the one we start with.

dove

For me I don’t see Maguire much better than Evans. At least far from much better compared to the price. So many fans overrate especially English players that play for their country. You can play well for your country but at same time average for their teams.

Good example of this is my one country Iceland.
I was one of the few who wasn't very excited of us signing Maguire especially for the price but he is miles better than Evans, c'mon now.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
When you strip it all back and look at how the team shape and how we perform, do you think Ole is good enough tactically? I'm dubious about how tactically astute he is, simply due to there not being a Plan B to swing the game back in our favour, when an opposition manager switches tactics to counter the one we start with.
Yes he is, only have to look at the Liverpool games and when we have played Spurs. You can argue he cant get the team up for the smaller clubs that is more evident.

Sterling Archer

I know people keep mentioning his Liverpool connection but we have to remember one of the most influential figures this club has ever had was an ex Liverpool player....Sir Matt Busby

I think right now he's right up there with Poch, Marco Rose and Nagelsmann as serious contender for the job. As a person, I have never liked him but one thing I'll give him huge credit for is that he can coach a team within months to play exciting attacking football and a style that I can see he's trying to implement at the club.

Ole has been here for months and I still can't see what's he's trying to do while Rodgers has everything down to a tee so far with Leicester and has financial backing in front of him too. I feel dirty for saying this but I'd love to see him as manager of the club.
It's not dirty. You want what's best for the club.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
So Poch is yesterday news, Brendan is the new flavor of the month?
For you I would say no.

Poch has proven he can improve teams, and sustain that improvement over a few seasons whilst also spending little money.

What has caught up with him is that group of players got stale, too many now want to move on, and the hunger in that Spurs squad has nosedived.

Someone like Poch would probably still be a good managerial signing for your club. Claudio's last club job before us was a disaster and then he won a title. Each situation is different, Managers thrive in different situations.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
Oh, what I'd give for Rodgers to become United manager. He won't be that bad but the banter potential will reach high's never seen before, especially considering all the gems through the years said by the caf

:drool::drool::drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Rodgers is a good manager, his record speaks for itself.

But I don't think he's equipped to handle top teams which naturally populated by top players.
The story of how handled his time at Liverpool is discouraging, on how he couldn't confront his own players.

If United were to employ him, sure he could probably get them to compete for top 3 but provided he has some raw materials to work with.
The current crops over at Leicester are decent: Vardy is reliable albeit waning, Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo, Tielemans, Ndidi, Schemeicel and Gray are all good/promising players.
United's current squad contains DDG, Pogba, Rashford, Maguire, AWB and the much maligned Fred.

His record of signing players are sketchy though, United should not trust him to magically counteract Ed Woodward and make everything right.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Rodgers is a good manager, his record speaks for itself.

But I don't think he's equipped to handle top teams which naturally populated by top players.
The story of how handled his time at Liverpool is discouraging, on how he couldn't confront his own players.

If United were to employ him, sure he could probably get them to compete for top 3 but provided he has some raw materials to work with.
The current crops over at Leicester are decent: Vardy is reliable albeit waning, Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo, Tielemans, Ndidi, Schemeicel and Gray are all good/promising players.
United's current squad contains DDG, Pogba, Rashford, Maguire, AWB and the much maligned Fred.

His record of signing players are sketchy though, United should not trust him to magically counteract Ed Woodward and make everything right.
Vardy is “waning”? Really? The evidence suggests otherwise.