Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Winning the PL is bigger than 100 Scottish league titles.
Nah. Being alive and actively managing for a 100 years alone is a huge fecking achievement. Guess you'd get to around 130 years old. :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

A lot of Celtic fans seem a bit deluded on the standing of their club. I know all fans do that but it still needs saying.

Yes of course they're a bigger club historically than Leicester. But in 2019 Leicester City are a much more attractive proposition, working in a vastly bigger league with better players on much better money too.

What else is there left for him to do at Celtic anyway? He's won it all, and they're never going to be threat in Europe anyway.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought Celtic would he happy considering he hasn’t improved them in Europe.

RasTiaGba

Thought Celtic would he happy considering he hasn’t improved them in Europe.
They'll be lucky to sign someone who can keep the league and cup form of Rodgers with the same attacking football

Never mind upgrade on Rodgers and become an attacking force in Europe too

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Any idea of the kind of compensation Celtic would receive should Rodgers leave?

Bwuk

He's left for a bigger job, with more money for himself and to build a squad with.

He's on the verge of a historic treble treble with Celtic and no-one cares because of the state of the league.

A lot of Celtic fans seem to blame the money in England, but fail to realise the only reason they are such an attractive proposition compared to other Scottish sides is due to how far ahead they are financially.

Money > History in football these days.

Bwuk

Any idea of the kind of compensation Celtic would receive should Rodgers leave?
I think he was on a rolling contract if memory serves, so not a lot if I'm correct.

Drifter

American
What a cnut. Top of the league ,good chance of winning the Scottish Premiership and as soon as a job comes up in PL he can't wait to to cut loose.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Reality check.

It isn't like Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern et al came calling.

The most successful manager in the nation, of the most successful team in the nation, is about to chuck it in the midst of another successful season to go and manage..........Leicester City.

Brutal....but there it is.

Lay

Didn’t Lennon leave Celtic and join Bolton a few years back? Surely this is at least a bit better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does anybody blame him? Nobody cares about Scottish football anymore.

He's won everything he can there so he might as well move on.

Morpheus 7

I'm not trolling. They are bigger. They are recent Premier League winners, recent Champions League quarter finalists. Play is a miles bigger league. They are richer and have bigger global appeal than Celtic, 3 x as many social media followers etc.

Celtic beat them on European trophies and stadium size but its not enough.

The proof is in the pudding, why do you think B-Rod jumped ship despite Celtic fans thinking the idea ludicrous?
There not a bigger club, don't be ridiculous.

Lay

“When you come into any club, you come in for the longer term,” Rodgers said. “I look at Martin O’Neill, he was here for five years. Neil Lennon was here for four seasons. So you want to bring success to the club and, however long that takes, you want that opportunity.

“ At this moment in time, I’ve got no thoughts of Celtic being a stepping stone and moving back into the Premier League. I don’t want to work in the Premier League for 20 years, hence the reason I came up here.

Stolen from the Celtic forum. Is that legit? :lol:

Baxter

Does anybody blame him? Nobody cares about Scottish football anymore.

He's won everything he can there so he might as well move on.
Nothing like belittling the Scottish game.

Attendance per capita in the Scottish Premier is the highest in Europe. Very easy to speak nonsense like that when the English game is bankrolled the way it is.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Good for both parties. Couldn't do a remarkable job where his sucessor will collect the harvest of a good crop, but he's clearly a good manager.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I think he was on a rolling contract if memory serves, so not a lot if I'm correct.
Thanks, that's a shame for Celtic then.

I thought that a nice chunk of money (anything over £5 million for example) would have really helped them out and eased the pain.

Oggmonster

Yeah you would think Leicester could get an interim manager in until the end of the season. I doubt they are going to get relegated and they're not getting European football, so it doesn't seem urgent. Maybe they told Brendan they would look elsewhere unless he came immediately.
In fairness to him he might of seen a situation like Ole. Interim til end of season and will probably get the job now. Risk to wait and assume the other person doesn't get themselves the job

Baxter

Thanks, that's a shame for Celtic then.

I thought that a nice chunk of money (anything over £5 million for example) would have really helped them out and eased the pain.
Scottish papers saying 5-7m likely.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing like belittling the Scottish game.

Attendance per capita in the Scottish Premier is the highest in Europe. Very easy to speak nonsense like that when the English game is bankrolled the way it is.
Sure at home football will always be popular. But in the grand scheme of things it's a 1 horse league with very little interest anywhere else.

The fact Rodgers is contemplating leaving a guaranteed CL club for a mid table premier league side shows.

Melville Red

Anomaly like you said. Every top 6 team since then has improved while Leicester have lost by far their best player from that time.

He didn't say that though. He said Leicester are a bigger club than Celtic which is just laughable. The only people who say that are either trolling or so wrapped up in their EPL bubble that they've lost their fecking mind.
Face facts, Celtic are a fecking Blue Whale in a very very small pond. There is no competition up there and that is obvious when they play European football.
Rodgers has done all he can for Celtic, the board didn’t back him in the summer, it showed in Europe so what’s the point in him staying there? Celtic would struggle in The English Championship to make top four, let alone The PL.
If he does move then good luck to him, I think he is talked of rather harshly by Liverpool supporters.

redmanc

A lot of Celtic fans seem a bit deluded on the standing of their club. I know all fans do that but it still needs saying.

Yes of course they're a bigger club historically than Leicester. But in 2019 Leicester City are a much more attractive proposition, working in a vastly bigger league with better players on much better money too.

What else is there left for him to do at Celtic anyway? He's won it all, and they're never going to be threat in Europe anyway.
I came here to say exactly this, i cannot believe how amazed the Celtic fans seem to be that their manager wants to go back to the prem at the first sniff of an offer, nobody outside of Scotland has a single care in the world what happens in the Scottish League.

Bwuk

Bilić is free.
Theres talk about Lennon but he's a bit of a loose cannon.
It'll be Lennon till the end of the season.

Before the secretarian farce that happened recetnly, I'd of said Steve Clarke had a good chance at the Celtic job,

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rodgers and Vardy... I can see the latter not having it. I smell problems. One likes to chat shit, the other, not so much.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think he will be very good appointment for Leicester. They have good team and few very good young players.

They have Vardy, Chilwell, Maguire, Pereira, Ndidi, Maddison, Gray, Evans who are all good players.

Will be interesting to see how he sets up the team.
Yeah, I'm not surprised at all that Leicester have attracted a real good manager. The squad is excellently set to be built on. Comfortably the most attractive job outside the top six, as long as the untimely death of the chairman has not disrupted things too much.

Bwuk

What's the story there?
Rangers fans were chanting at Clarke (Kilmarnock manager) calling him a "sad fenian b*astard" (sorry if that offends anyone).

Clarke got emotional in his post match interview and broke down in his interview.

“When I was approached by Rangers about taking over the job here I was assured, nah, we didn’t have that in the west of Scotland anymore and it had gone. Hahaha.

“They can call me a b*****d or w****r but to call me a Fenian b*****d? Come on.

“We’re living in the dark ages. They’re not allowed to call my assistant a black B but they can call me a Fenian b*****d. Is that correct?

“What are we doing in Scotland?

“I wake up every morning and I thank Chelsea for taking me away from the West.

“My children have had nothing to do with this thankfully. My children and grandchildren.

“It’s fantastic to be back in Scotland.”

In response the Rangers fanbase blasted him and mocked him for getting emotional over social media and had a banner at their game vs Hamilton saying "Get well soon Steve Clarke".

Scum fanbase.

Cloud7

What’s the big deal with him leaving now?

He has the chance to go to a job that, by most objective standards, offers him more opportunities, a chance that may not be available when the season is over.

Look at it this way, if he was doing horribly, no one would bat an eye if he was sacked. In that respect, if he gets the chance to take up a better job then it makes sense for him to do it. He doesn’t owe Celtic any forced loyalty that may be to his own detriment.