Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That’s the problem we can’t really tell you, it’s like someone flipped a switch
Yea, I also can't put my finger on it. I was lauding Rodgers for manager of the season award just a few months ago. I still think he is a very good operator and should be congratulated for his early season work. But this reversal is as dramatic as the fall off we saw under Ole. It was possible to work out why United faltered but I don't understand what's going wrong at Leicester.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That’s the problem we can’t really tell you, it’s like someone flipped a switch
Well so many said few months back that Leicester have outperformed their xG by huge margin and they can't sustain it.

One of the reason for that was Vardy's form, he went on a run without scoring much which coincided with your poor form.

InfiniteBoredom

Well so many said few months back that Leicester have outperformed their xG by huge margin and they can't sustain it.

One of the reason for that was Vardy's form, he went on a run without scoring much which coincided with your poor form.
Precisely.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jamie...ils/spieler/197838/wettbewerb/GB1/saison/2019

They went on a 8 games winning streak with Vardy scoring in all of them, and from then on they did better without him in the line up.

A misfiring undroppable CF for a team like Leicester means draws and losses.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

it actually didin't the poor form started around Xmas, Vardy was fine then, it wasn't injuries either, we had spells where Vardy was injured, but Iheanacho played well, Ndidi was injured and we really missed him but they were never out together, then Ricardo got injured in the Villa game, but we absolutely smashed them, and had the season not been shut down I think that result gets the confidence back and we cruise the end of the season in relative comfort.

Its only the last couple of games we've had 3 first choice players out injured together, we do have a severe lack of depth which is why many of us were bemused by our only January signing being Ryan Bennett, and that was done to allow Benkovic to go on loan himself.

We desperately needed at least another winger, we'd been linked with Jared Bowen forever it seemed yet wasn't interested when he moved to West Ham pretty cheaply

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
it actually didin't the poor form started around Xmas, Vardy was fine then, it wasn't injuries either, we had spells where Vardy was injured, but Iheanacho played well, Ndidi was injured and we really missed him but they were never out together, then Ricardo got injured in the Villa game, but we absolutely smashed them, and had the season not been shut down I think that result gets the confidence back and we cruise the end of the season in relative comfort.

Its only the last couple of games we've had 3 first choice players out injured together, we do have a severe lack of depth which is why many of us were bemused by our only January signing being Ryan Bennett, and that was done to allow Benkovic to go on loan himself.

We desperately needed at least another winger, we'd been linked with Jared Bowen forever it seemed yet wasn't interested when he moved to West Ham pretty cheaply
Vardy stopped scoring lot of goals after Villa game and your poor form started after villa game.

After Villa game, you won 4 games out of 13 till the restart. Vardy played in 10 league games scoring in just 2 games.

After the restart, first 3 games Vardy didn't score and you dropped points in all the 3 games.

Yes, there are other factors too but Leicester form is so much dependent on Vardy's form.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Vardy stopped scoring lot of goals after Villa game and your poor form started after villa game.

After Villa game, you won 4 games out of 13 till the restart. Vardy played in 10 league games scoring in just 2 games.

After the restart, first 3 games Vardy didn't score and you dropped points in all the 3 games.

Yes, there are other factors too but Leicester form is so much dependent on Vardy's form.
The Villa game I was talking about was the last one before restarts, watching that game at the time felt like a corner had been turned again and we had come out of our funk and that the end of the season would be fairly comfortable for us, even if we didn't win every game along the way.

I'm not a sentimental person with Managers, when it comes to sacking them I have one simple question is the replacement better? That's the question, our Chairman has a ruthless streak, it wouldn't surprise me if he is already lining up a replacement, especially if we do miss out on top 4, there is no other way to say it, from the position we were in to miss out on top 4 and CL football IS a failure, context changes everything.

Idxomer

Didn't the same happen with Spurs last season and they were lucky other teams were as bad?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"We all sat down at the start of season and said, it would be huge challenge for Leicester to get into Europe, so do that in my first season here, to guarantee that is a phenomenal achievement."

Followed up by "free love on the free love highway".

poleglass red

I'd say 4th or 5th is a very good achievement from them this season and one I'm sure they would have took at the start of the season. They punched above their weight for a while, whilst teams such as us, Arsenal, Chelsea were still in rebuilding and adapting process, even City were struggling due to Laporte injury. Their squad is a bit light to compensate for injuries or loss of form to say Maddison and Vardy, but then again so is ours. I'd say the difference with us, Chelsea, City and to a lesser extent Arsenal is we will be stronger next season. Depending on what Leicester do with Maddison if anything they could be the same or possibly weaker

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
it may just be the anger/frustration talking but the collapse since Christmas is eminently sackable IMO probably won't happen but brings back stark memories of Peter Taylor's time with us

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You can spare the injury excuse, United were similar tatters in the first half of the season when they built a double digit lead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Didn't their decline start when he signed a new contract in the middle of the season?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'd say 4th or 5th is a very good achievement from them this season and one I'm sure they would have took at the start of the season. They punched above their weight for a while, whilst teams such as us, Arsenal, Chelsea were still in rebuilding and adapting process, even City were struggling due to Laporte injury. Their squad is a bit light to compensate for injuries or loss of form to say Maddison and Vardy, but then again so is ours. I'd say the difference with us, Chelsea, City and to a lesser extent Arsenal is we will be stronger next season. Depending on what Leicester do with Maddison if anything they could be the same or possibly weaker
This remains true.

Even given their bad form second half of the season, overall I would say he had a successful first full year with Leicester, considering the injuries and all.

They will have to spend though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Didn't their decline start when he signed a new contract in the middle of the season?
pretty much immediately after Liverpool made us look like amateurs at home on Boxing Day and then we got schooled by Man City in the same week

Last edited:

Zen

They were playing at a pretty unreal level... if you ignore them being champions 4 years ago, this kind of dropoff is a fair regularity really for midtable teams who get hot and 5th is a great achievement for that squad.

Idxomer

They had a good season, their squad is thin though and needs better quality from the bench.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
They were playing at a pretty unreal level... if you ignore them being champions 4 years ago, this kind of dropoff is a fair regularity really for midtable teams who get hot and 5th is a great achievement for that squad.
which is why our fans were crying out for signings in January, in the end we made one, Ryan Bennett on loan, to allow Benkovic to go on loan...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought they were a definite CL qualifier. Still, I think Europa league is good for them but obviously won’t feel like that now

Bojan11

They were missing three of their starting defenders and Maddison.

But he’s one dimensional and hasn’t changed from his Liverpool and Swansea.

Robertd0803

Injuries didnt help them but considering Vardy is the only player that has scored for them this season (or at least thats what it feels like) and if he doesnt score they struggle.

They would have been better off missing out on top four a few games ago instead of today (stupid as that sounds) as Europa League is still a great acheivement for them. As it is it probably feels like a consolation prize.

Guy Incognito

Questions have to be asked of his man management. Schooled at home to a Liverpool side who'd just returned from Qatar and never recovered since.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
We've been in near relegation form since January.

I thought I'd be gutted about missing out on CL, but I'm surprisingly pretty much over it already. Not because I don't care about the CL, but rather I'd already accepted that it had gone from our hands. We didn't lose it today - realistically, we were very unlikely to get a win with all the injuries we had (we never beat United even with a full squad). It was failing to beat Norwich or Brighton, the loss to Southampton, the 90th minute goal conceded against Watford, or the absolute capitulation to Bournemouth. I think I'd used up all my anger by Bournemouth; I was expecting us to drop out of the Europa League spot, such was our torrid form.

He's not a "likeable" manager (and this is from someone who thinks Pearson is the best thing sliced bread), and he seems to have a habit of producing mentally weak teams. Our team seems to have bottled every 'big' game this season - no wins against Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United. This might be the first season back where I can't remember us beating a 'top' team.

If we had someone like Pearson in charge, I'd be confident that the team would take the disappointment on the chin, maybe make some shrewd signings, and come back stronger for it, but I don't have that faith in Rodgers. He doesn't have a track record of good signings, but we'll wait and see...

He won't be sacked, because looking at the table you can't really argue with 5th. But he really needs to do something to turn this team around.

Reactions: Penna

Skills

Snitch
Rodgers is a good front runner. Just can't seem to get his team out of a rut though - same happened at Liverpool, after their Suarez wonder season.

Nick7

14 points and 20 goals ahead of us at the turn of the year. Ending up finishing 4 points and 4 goals below us is astounding. Regardless of injuries they’ve looked like headless chickens at times. I wonder if questions will be asked of him.